Season 2 Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by hornfaninbama, Sep 12, 2013.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Just getting ahead.

2. hornfaninbama

Arizona Holds Off Purdue 38-31

Dallas, TX- Arizona and Purdue faced off in the Cowboys Kickoff Classic at Jerryworld on Saturday, and both teams brought their "A Game." Purdue threw for 369 yards and ran for 85 against Arizona's new 3-4 defense, but the Wildcats offense made up for their shortcomings.

Sr RB Ka'Deem Carey ran for 113 yards on 13 carries and Javelle Allen ran for 93 yards on 10 carries to pace the Wildcats offense. Allen also went 12-16 through the air for 120 yards 1 TD and 1 interception.

Purdue's freshman QB was lights out in his first start throwing for 369 yards and 4 TD's in his first start.

The teams played evenly through the first quarter ending in a 7-7 tie. Purdue took a 10-7 lead on a FG early in the second, and the teams traded punts. Arizona was driving to tie or take the lead when Allen threw an ill advised pass on 3rd down and Purdue picked it off. The Boilermakers were unable to capitalize and missed a FG wide right. Allen took over with :32 on the clock and hurried the 'Cats down the field for a tying FG with :06 left.

Arizona scored on the first drive of the second half to take a 17-10 lead, but Purdue answered. They did the same when Arizona took a 24-17 lead. After Purdue's TD to knot up the score at 24 Grandon returned the kick 107 yards for a score. When Purdue tried to answer the Wildcat defense came up with an interception and Arizona was able to capitalize with a 6 yard TD to Holiday. Akeem Hunt scored on the next drive for Purdue, but they were unable to recover an onside kick, and Arizona ran down the rest of the clock.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

The Wildcats Get Plucked By The Utes In The Chick-Fil-A Classic 37-34
    [​IMG]

Atlanta, GA - #23 Northwestern came into the game the heavy favorite against the Utes of Utah, but came up short in the end.

A new face under center has critics and Wildcat Nation in a panic as senior QB Trevor Simien doesn't meet expectations. Simien went 19/29 for 281 yards 1 TD and two picks. Ok the ground junior RB Jordan Perkins who left the game early end his day with 191 on 27 carries with 1 TD. The Jones duo led the receiving core both having over 50 yards. The Wildcat defense was supposed to be one of the best this season but the gave up 353 yards through the air to Utah's T. Wilson who also had 3 TD's for the Utes.

Utah played a solid game and held the Wild ats most of the 1st half and slowed down the faced pace offense the like to run.

If the Wildcats want to have a shot at anything this year they will need to regroup this week before the take on Cal who had an impressive season last year.

The Wildcats fall to 0-1 on the year overall.

4. hornfaninbama

Did you get that weird glitch where your RB gets tired and won't come back in? I just played the last 6:45 with my #3 and a FB. When they got tired a WR and TE came in.

5. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

no i didnt notice anything like that...but i did lose my starting RB for 9 weeks lol

6. Austin1990

Austin1990 Walk On

41 CAL NU 13
    California and Northwestern met up in Eveanston tonight to play what was almost last year's Rose Bowl matchup. The teams looked evenly matched coming into the game and the first quarter made things look like a bigtime defensive struggle was going to break out, as neither team could score any points. Then the NU offense finally came alive driving down the field and scoring on a 1 YD TD run to go ahead 7-0. Then the tide turned on the very next play. Bryce Treggs, perhaps the fastest player in all of college football this season took the next kickoff 101 yds for the tying score. Cal then took that momentum to rip off 41 points in a row to put the game truly out of reach by the end of the third quarter. The big plays for Cal included 4 interceptions, three against the starter Trevor Simien and one against freshman QB Michael Berg, who forfeited his Redshirt year to come into the game. Two of Cal's interceptions came in their own endzone, when NU was threatening to score and keep it close. The breakaway speed of Bryce Treggs really took over the game, with a Kickoff return TD and a Punt return TD, as well as 112 YDS receiving when the NU safeties started to get nosy defending the fleXbox One option offense. The Cal offense really did not look too great, they started out posessions with great field position and were able to piggy back off of their solid defense and outstanding special teams plays. True Freshman QB Trevor Johnson looked nervous starting in his first game, going 0-4 to start. He soon calmed down, however, and completed his last 7 passes to finish 7-11 for 160 YDS. He also added 34 yds on the ground on 5 carries, an area that was really lacking in last year's offense. A bright spot for NU was HB Treyvon Green, who ran for 134 yds on 22 ATT and really looked good in this one.

POG: Bryce Treggs, 334 All purpose yards, 3 total TD.

GG matthew34brown best of luck this season. Maybe we can get a rematch in the Rose Bowl if we both can manage to win our conferences.

• Like Like x 1
  7. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Ass whipped goodnight...pretty sure your internet connection was the reason you ran two back on me

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Im on a 4 game losing streak :mad:

9. hornfaninbama

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]
    East Lansing, MI- Arizona has spent the past 2 weeks on the road against Big 10 teams, and the Wildcats haven't shrank from the competition. Arizona knocked off Purdue last week in Dallas, and this week knocked off the Michigan State Spartans at Spartan Stadium 45-35.

Arizona has shown a very explosive offense with Javelle Allen and Ka'Deem Carey leading the way. This week both Carey and Allen topped 120 yards, with Javelle Allen getting a career high 25 carries for 192 yards and 3 TD's. Carey had 126 yards on 16 carries, and for some reason stayed on the sideline the entire 4th quarter. "At one point we were playing a FB and TE in the backfield next to Allen. That's why he got so many carries. I wish we could have gotten Ka'Deem back in, but he refused to step foot on the field. He wasn't injured, he didn't appear to be tired. But whatever he had was contagious. I looked up with about 4 minutes left in the 4th our second RB Pierre Cormier was also refusing to play." Despite that problem the Wildcats still managed a school record 445 yards on the ground on 60 attempts. They almost doubled up the Spartans in total yardage 624 to 316.

Arizona had several drives that lasted 12-18 plays and melted the clock, but Michigan State just couldn't stop the ground game. Arizona will get to spend next week off before taking on the Cal Golden Bears.

10. hornfaninbama

I thought a lot about taking Nortwestern, but I saw a lot of their leaders were graduating. I figured the second season would be tough. But you'll get it turned around.

• Like Like x 1
  11. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Yeah I got a lot of good recruits but I'm hurting at QB and RB I just lost my RB starter for 9 weeks so I've playing with inexperienced guys in the backfield

12. Austin1990

Austin1990 Walk On

31 Arizona Cal 55
    The highly-anticipated rematch of last year's shootout in the desert went much like last year's game, with Cal pulling ahead early and Arizona fighting to come back and falling just short. The big story in this one is the huge second quarter by the entire Cal squad, coming away with 14 points in the last 40 seconds of the first half. The opening kickoff went to Arizona, who threw a costly interception on a 3rd down that gave Cal the ball in Arizona territory. They responded by a solid drive ending in a clutch TD on 3rd down from the goaline. Arizona responded with a drive of their own, ending with their own QB blasting it in from the 4 yard line. The first quarter ended in a quiet 7-7, then the second quarter was an offensive explosion. Cal managed to force two more interceptions, and they were able to convert the next three posessions into a total of 13 points, with the Arizona defense proving tough in the redzone and holding them to two field goals. Arizona finally responded back to grab momentum with a huge 81 yard TD pass taking advantage of the Cal safety creeping down to deal with the dangerous option attack. Cal then responded with a TD with 37 seconds left, forced a turnover on the next play, and turned that into yet another TD with 16 seconds left. Right when the half looked like it was over, Arizona busted the next play wide open with a huge run by their QB Allen, who wisely stepped out of bounds with 3 seconds left to preserve the FG attempt. This brought the first half to an end with the score 34-17 in favor of the Golden Bears.

The second half seemed like a completely different ballgame, although the stats will not show it. Both teams seemed to change their offensive gameplans, which in turn caused both defenses to change theirs as well. This cat-and-mouse game kept the third quarter quiet with the sold TD coming off am AMAZING catch by WR David Richards, who caught a deep jump ball off the tip on fourth and inches, the gutsy play call paid off and kept Arizona in the game when they needed a big play. Cal was able to respond after a quiet quarter by turning back to their bread and butter: the triple option. Arizona was getting understandably aggressive, and they began to take the dive and the QB, but leave a big play on the outside with the pitch. That became the story for the remainder of the game, although Arizona WR Devont'e Neal had one more big play left in him, with the run of the year. He took the option pitch, broke the tackle, the dodged the next 6 Cal defenders (I watched the tape and counted, it was amazing, play of the year) then outran the field with blazing speed for the 84 yard score.

POG: True Freshman QB Trevor Johnson 18-21 283 YDS 2 TD 11 Carries, 70 YDS, 2 TD

GG hornfaninbama good luck the rest of the way

13. hornfaninbama

You too.

14. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Northwestern Post Game Press Conference

[​IMG]
    31[​IMG] 37

Coach Matt Brown (Northwestern):"We have all the right tools for the job but we cannot seem to follow the blueprint. We will look at our defense and offense this week in films and see where the problem lies. I can tell you that we will be making some changes and some of our younger guys will get a shot to show what they can do. Going into B1G play this coming week we have a different focus and we need to prepare for that type of environment. We still have confidence in our back field but we may look at red-shirt freshman Matt Alviti and there may be a Qb change going into Nebraska. The type of offense that we run needs a more mobile Qb and I think he has that skill set, he just doesn't have that "big" game experience. I think that Treyvon Green has really embraced the RB role after we lost Jordan Perkins in week one. Like I said we have the tools we just need it to gel. This week we have a good opportunity to turn this around and make another run at the B1G title. I still have not lost faith and I still believe that we are a top 25 team."

The Wildcats fall to (0-3) overall and will host Nebraska (3-0) overall this Saturday in Evanston. GO CATS!