Season 2 Scores

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Season 2 Scores

Post em up here guys.

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

It's going to be a long year.

Colorado St. 22 - Fresno St. 16

My offense was completely dominated by the CSU defense. I was only sacked 4 times but I was hit probably over 20, and was rushed on every pass attempt. And to take pressure off the passing game, we ran 24 times for 25 yards as a team. That total takes into account -32 yards Derek Carr ran for while he was running for his life. Robbie Rouse ran 18 times for 49 yards but that's deceiving. He got about 30 of them on 4 carries and did jack squat the rest of the game. I had to basically abandon the run in the mid 3rd quarter, and will probably not run the ball more than 10 times in a game the rest of the year.

Next week we get beat down by Dru and USC, assuming my internet connection allows it.

3. Dru50

It's odd, you and Hokie seemed to struggle running the ball in week 1, but Twister put up over 250 yards against a pretty good Cincy team.

Was the rushing due to CPU guys coming off blocks too early? Or is your OL really poor this year?

If the running game becomes impossible with the new sliders we can tweak them after a few weeks. It's tough since there are a lot of user games early so we won't have a ton of consistent data.

Hokie/Twist - what were your thoughts on your games?

4. BDSDIGITAL

I don't know to be honest with you. The defenders did break off of their blocks quick, but my O line is not very good. Running outside was very difficult, which I believe was the intent so that's good. I got all of my yards running inside.

5. Dru50

Your offensive line is pretty average (highest guy is your LT who is rated 80 OVR but seems to be more of a pass blocker, and the rest are in the low 70's and high 60's), but CSU has a pretty bad defense so I would think you would have been able to run more effectively than you did.

I know I learned in the Deuce to not run counters or sweeps with bad offensive lineman because they wouldn't get out in front of the play and it just resulted in lost yards. I don't think these running sliders are as tough as the ones there or in the Experience, so it might just be an adjustment period.

If the other guys who are playing the CPU this week can post their rushing stats (minus QB sacks if possible) and their thoughts on the sliders it will help. My intent is to make rushing more challenging, not impossible. The trick will be that to make it tougher on the Texas/OSU/PSU's of the world will make it that much tougher on the Fresno St's. I'd really like to hear from Twist, since he seemed to have no problems offensively.

Also, how did the CPU running and QB play feel? I was hoping that turning down the CPU QB accuracy would slow down the robo QB a bit and get them to play more according to their ratings.

If everyone thinks the sliders are jacked up I am ok with making adjustments on the fly.

6. BDSDIGITAL

I don't think you'll be able to make it challenging for the big guys and not make it that much harder on me and jman, me in particular. But that's ok. I'm not in it really to win titles, etc. I'm just trying to have some fun with it, and believe it or not sometimes it's fun to lose, or know there is a possibility of losing so I'm cool with that.

The cpu running back was efficient (5 ypc ish) and the qb was average. Nothing special really. Giving up 22 points should have been good enough for me to win.

7. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Dru, I will play my game this evening so I'll give what feed back I can about the running.

8. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I am gonna post a game write up later, but I will comment on the running game. I don't know if was Bama's or or the sliders, but my running game was nonexsistent and very frustrating.

9. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

[​IMG]

Here is the stat sheet. I pulled my starters except my FB early in the 3rd quarter and RB Brennan Clay went nuts and rushed for 120 yards on 19 carries and a td. Calhoun rushed for 158 yards and 2 tds on 27 carries.

The best way to describe the defense of UC was they were very strong out of the first quarter. Counters, pitches, inside runs were stuffed and their LBs had springs in their legs but they were wore down and by the end of the third quarter, they were diving and missing and huge chunks of yards followed. Their DTs were very disuptive as well.

Basically you have to weather the storm and keep pounding them.

The CPU QB play was noit very good imho. Or my DL was just too much for them. McFarland had a field day and was in the backfield much of the afternoon.

10. Dru50

So it sounds like the CPU run defense may be a bit too strong...

I'd kind of rather start too hard and scale it back than the other way around. I want to see how the other CPU games go and think maybe we should give it at least another week before we make a change.

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Nebraska 34-17 over Louisiana Tech

FULL RECAP HERE

Fell down 17-0 early in the second after 3 straight possessions with turnovers. Turned it around in the second half, especially on the ground. Burkhead had 229 yards on the ground, more than Green's 201 passing yards. Defense wasn't that hard to run against, so I'm not sure why everyone is complaining. Basically, follow the link and read the full recap for the details

12. Dru50

To be fair, La Tech is the easiest CPU team anyone plays this week as I recall. But I'm glad to hear that some are able to run the ball.

13. vBIG SLICKv

#3 Texas 31
    #19 West Virgina 7

Texas was able to dominate threw the air with Gilbert throwing for 330yrds and 3tds. The running game struggled. RB Tre Newton who the won the starting job after Whittaker left for the NFL was injured in the 2nd qtr and is out for 4 weeks. SOPH RB Whaley stepped up for 74yrds.
    The Longhorn defense played solid with a young secondary.

DRU, I do not like the new sliders. In my opinion it puts those of us, or at least me, that like to run the ball at a disadvantage. WVU defenders were jumping off of blocks very fast. I was able to break a few 8-10 yarders but was not able to establish a consistent run game. Any time I needed a play I would go to the air. Just my thoughts on my game.

14. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Full recap later as I am short on time, but

#16 Clemson 49
    TCU 23

New offensive playbook, Coach Williams stressing offense over the summer finally payed off. Never has this team clicked so well offensively since Coach Williams arrival.

Parker 13-17 302 Yards 4 TD 0 INT
    Harper 22 Att 183 Yards 8.3 Avg 3 TD's

15. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Minnesota - 59
    Ball State - 7

Fellow sports fans, dont let the score fool you. Although the Gophers clearly outclassed the lowly Cardinals, inconsistent QB play and the inability to run the ball show that the Gophers still have a long ways to go in order to challenge the upper echelon teams in the Big Ten. The MarQueis Gray era did not start off the way it was supposed to, as Gray was intercepted 3 times in the first half. Despite the turnovers, Gray did show flashes of potential, running for 72 yards on 3 carries. Gray's backup, JD Pride, played a good game but MarQueis will remain the starter for the foreseeable future. Aside from QB scrambles out of the pocket, the Gophers could not move the ball on the ground against one of the worst defenses in college football. Star HB Duane Bennett only gained 23 yards despite getting 13 carries. On defense, the Gophers held the Cardinals in check all game long and forced 3 turnovers. Minnesota gets a week off before Nebraska comes to town in week 3.

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

Well I'm probably the only one that's gonna say this, but I like the sliders as I play on heisman difficulty generally and I love the challenge. That being said if the majority want to change I'm fine with that

17. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Well when the game first came out I also wanted to play on Heisman and let the difficulty be a challenge, but then I realized having the cpu challenging for the sake of being challenging is not good for the league nor fun. It's cool for offline franchises, but not online. People want realism more than just difficult just because.... If a team recruits a very strong o-line and they are facing a sub par d-line, the d line should not be able to jump off blocks an be in the backfield almost every other play. Also what happens is people start playing to the sliders and it should not be the way... If the running game is too difficult, people will just pass and vice versa. It should not be that way. At the end of the day, it's all about finding a slider set that is somewhat challenging in a realistic way, but the game play feels fair and not cheesy... i.e D-line in the backfield almost every play, robo qb's, non-tackleable running backs ect.

18. BDSDIGITAL

Yeah I agree with this, but the results from this week seemed somewhat realistic for the most part. Some more than others. Here's what i pulled off the dynasty wire.

Whaley vs. WVU 13-74 5.69ypc
    Newton vs. WVU 16-26 1.62 ypc

combined vs. WVU 29-100 3.44 ypc

Might be a little low for that type of game, but Whaley was having a good day.

Burkhead vs. La. Tech 25-229 9.16 ypc

Against La. Tech that is totally believable.

Bennett vs. Ball St. 13-23 1.76 ypc

That's not right at all.

Calhoun vs. Cincy 27-158 5.85 ypc
    Clay vs. Cincy 19-120 6.31 ypc

Vs. Cincinnati that's totally reasonable I would think.

Rouse vs. Col. St. 18-49 2.72 ypc

Lower than it should have been. vs. a defense like that 4 ypc would have been about right with my mediocre o line.

Green vs. Bama 24-55 2.29 ypc

Lower than it should be but played one of the best defenses in the country.

It should be taken into account though that for those that have trouble running the ball will turn to the air and those numbers could get out of whack.

You know, in a perfect game world these stats from teams that struggled would just be a bad game and the next game might work out much better for them. Every team should have a bad week once in a while.

19. Dru50

I'd like to give it a couple weeks to see how others fare who may not have games or may have user games this week, but I'm thinking I may bump down CPU rush defense a tick.

Slick - one thing to consider vs WVU, they run that 3-3-5 and when I played them with Texas year 1 in the Experience I couldn't run on them at all. I had run for over 2,500 yards with that team in the regular season, but something wonky was going on vs that defense and a guy would be free on every play to stop me for zilch. I had to pass to win that game, and the same thing happened when I played them with LSU in another OD. I think your struggles there may be an aberration.

For comparisons sake, these are pretty close to the same sliders used in the Deuce (with our run blocking being slightly higher) and after adjusting, people there are running pretty well, if you stick with it like Twist said.

I want the game to be challenging but not cheap, as Shino stated. If the sliders are not giving us that, I'll tone them back, just give it another week please.

20. BDSDIGITAL

I agree. Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing the sliders.

Let's just all remember that we made a change because rushing stats for some people were way, way, way too high.

21. vBIG SLICKv

Ok, look for QB Gilbert and WR Williams to have a big year.

I agree we probably need a couple of weeks to get good game data. I'm just nervous with a HUGE rematch against Penn State in Week 2 that will have National Title implications I will not be able to rely on my offensive philosophy which is too pound the ball.

Just a note: 5 of the 8 teams that have played have thrown for over 300yrds. 3 of those 5 have thrown for over 350 yrds
    Penn State - 367 yrds
    TCU - 355 yrds
    Minnesota - 354 yrds
    Texas - 330 yrds
    Clemson - 302 yrds

** Stats pulled from dynasty wire **

22. Dru50

Slick, sliders don't impact user games, so that shouldn't be an issue vs hokie.

23. vBIG SLICKv

ok, cool.

24. Bl0ndeRedHead

In all fairness, in college football it seems at least one of the two aspects of a team's offense generally does extremely well. It is not uncommon at all to see 300+ yard passers in college, hell even 400+ happens every week with programs that pass the ball 40+ times (Hawaii, Houston, Texas Tech, etc.). It is much more common for a 400 yard passer than a 200-250 yard runner, in my opinion.

25. vBIG SLICKv

I love a good healthy discussion. I see your point and raise you:

In 2009 only 9 out of 120 schools avg over 300yrds per game. Only 1 of those 9, Houston, averaged over 400yrds per game.

None of the QBs in our league in week 1 threw more than 40 times.

Of the top 20 QBs ranked by overall passing yards in 2009, there were only 111 games out of 245 games they threw for over 300yrds.

I would agree that it is more common of only a FEW QBs to throw over 400yrds then there are 200-250 yrd rushers. Programs such as Houston, Texas Tech and Hawaii that throw the ball all over the field will have huge passing numbers. I don't know if it is much more common for a QB not in a passing ONLY offense.