Season 2 Settings

Discussion in 'Rookie Symposium' started by RRAHx2, Nov 23, 2012.

1. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

For our 2nd season of RS, I feel we have gotten our "core" group of owners established, and have found our groove for game play / scheduling. So with this thread I am bringing changes to the table for league play that have been requested, and am looking for your opinions on these matters.

1st change for Season 2, would be the advance schedule. Last season we ran 72 hour advances, and in my opinion the season took way too long. I would like to bring down the advance time to every 48 hours. This would require very active scheduling efforts from EVERYONE in the league. I don't want to do this if it means, I will be simming games every week. With 72 hour advances we are at a rate of a season taking 74 days to complete. If we bump it down to 48 hour advances, we would be completing a season in 51 days. That would be a differece of completing about 3 1/2 more seasons to completing 5 seasons by next release.

The 2nd change would be quarter length. It was requested to bump the quarter length back up to 10 mins. now that the accel clock bug has been fixed. I think this would be a good thing, because it allows more plays, and more strategy to be used in a game.

3rd, I wanted to address content. Last year, I honestly did the majority of the content. and that wasn't too hard as I wasn't commish the majority of the season. But now that I am and most likely will be, I have other stuff to do. So I am asking other owners to PLEASE step up their forum activity and make something for the site. There is plenty of stuff to do content on. You can take over power rankings, previews, divisonal weekly reports, rookie stat tracking, league rumors / announcements, transaction reports, coach interviews, player interviews, plays of the week, players of the week, etc etc. That is just things I could think of the top of my head. Our content and forum activity is what will separate us from other dying leagues, and let's be honest a couple other lgs on here are struggling. I don't want that to happen here. We have great owners, and it is always fun to read some content and trash talking. :D So please guys, contribute to the league with something more than just playing your games on time.

Also, tonight I will be creating a community room for our league to test out some new sliders for the upcoming season. I would like everyone to join and scrimmage a bit, and provide feedback on the game play. The more people that play, the more feedback I get, which ultimately means the more we can get a good adjustment to the game play. I will update this post with the community info once I create it.

Lastly, I know users were complaining about custom PB's last year, but they can not be used in CCM's online or offline. The game does not allow it.

I HAVE CREATED THE ONLINE COMMUNITY! COMMUNITY NAME IS: ROOKIE SYMPOSIUM PASSWORD IS : tsrs321

I sent an invite to all owners that are my XBL friends, if you didn't get an invite, it's becuase you haven't sent me a friend request. So do so ASAP! The community has the sliders adjusted to what they will be in the season, minus a few tweaks. But play a couple scrimmages and let me know what you guys think. Be warned, as I said earlier, it will be harder to score points and rack up huge stats.

Any and all responses will be considered. Thanks, guys.

nellycuz
    DUMB_N1CE
    Snake Eyez
    mmorgan184
    oneshot24
    MS8403
    Anthrax78
    Boman5
    Lobster Killah
    elefeve
    xassassin4lifex
    HurricaneDitka
    Corey C.
    Aspect1
    roll2tide
    Doc Holliday904
    skin4lyfe
    Matthew Keves
    GDip
    Troy J.
    iTsIsiah
    Snozberriez8198
    The Rulah
    Elemnt
    Fast Feet Pete
    CTfromDC
    NateDawg
    thecajunnacho78
    SFRANGER6969
    Selvy9
    SmashMouthFB33

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. oneshot24

oneshot24 Walk On

I like 48 hour advances better and 10 min quarters work also!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

I like the idea of 48 hour advances, I just worry about having a lot of simmed games. For the most part, I feel like the odds I can find a couple hours free every other night at the same time that works with my opponent's schedule are mediocre at best, what with the wife hanging around, work issues, school issues, all that "real life" nonsense, lol. The other issue I see coming up is if people go out of town over a holiday or spring break or something like that, they could have 2-3 games simmed with the faster advances. But at the same time, I think I like the idea of faster seasons and more seasons overall in the course of 13 enough to outweigh any trepidation I may have over scheduling issues. We'll just have to see how it goes next season I guess and go from there.

4. GDip

GDip Walk On

I would say a 48 hour window during weekend days, and 72 during the week. So if we started the season on a Thursday the next adv. would be on Saturday, and then advance again on Monday. and then again on thursday. So we always know when the advances are, this would set a consistant schedule of advances and speed us up just a little bit.

5. Fast Feet Pete

Fast Feet Pete Walk On

I like this idea the best. The biggest problem I had last year was trying to go through the site to figure out when the next advance was. Having a set day for when the advance is makes it much easier for people to keep track of that. Also, I feel like 48hrs is too fast (during the week) as it is hard to coordinate schedules with people across at least 3 time zones. I think this idea creates a perfect balance between giving us time during the week and speeding things up on the weekend when the vast majority of us can spare and hour or two during the weekends.

6. RRAHx2

OK we might have to have a vote for the advance schedules. Hopefully, I can get a better feel for what the league wants with some more responses, but thanks guys.

I personally would favor the 48 hour advances, if you look around the site, the leagues doing that schedule are already almost done with their second regular season, where as we haven't even completed our first draft.

Also I updated the original thread with the community info.

7. xassassin4lifex

xassassin4lifex Walk On

I believe this would work best. Balance is always nice for a league with many different people and many different schedules/opinions.

8. Lobster Killah

Lobster Killah Custom Title!?

Sun-Tuesdays are tough for me to play.. but I'll do what I can. Am I going to get booted from the league if I need to have 3-4 games simmed?

9. Elemnt

Elemnt Walk On

The only negative there is if people are traveling :(

10. RRAHx2

The only problem I have with this schedule is if we need to have an extension or something, then it throws the whole schedule off. Because if we extend it one day then we will have to shorten the next week on the back end to catch up, and that NEVER works. This is what happened last season and we were never able to catch back up. That's why I like the advance schedule by hour better, because even if we have an extension or a quick advance its easy to know when the next advance will be. 48 or 72 hours from then.

Also I would rather play more seasons with a few more sims as opposed to a slower paced league. Because that equals more games in the long run, more playoffs, more super bowls, more fa bidding, more drafts, etc.

11. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Understand a huge reason for keeping the schedule consistent and not giving extensions...for guys who may be out of town or will be short on time during 1 or 2 of the advance periods, you'll know EXACTLY when each week of the season will be and can start planning your schedule several days/weeks in advance if you need to. For example, if week 1 starts tuesday with 48 hour advances, you'll know week 2 starts thursday, week 3 saturday, week 4 monday, etc. and plan ahead if you have to. So even though the advance window is smaller and you may have less free time, you'll have plenty of opportunity to talk to us or your opponents about scheduling issues.
    Basically, it's going to force you to be more proactive and help us figure out who'd doing what they need to and who isn't. If you do this right, you'll probably be surprised at how smoothly the season goes. If you can't get a game in, just do your best to work it out and if something comes up, at least the effort was made.

12. RRAHx2

Yeah as keves and I have said before, there is nothing wrong with contacting your opponent for the next advance ahead of time to set up a game time, so you both aren't trying to schedule it the day of.

13. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

RRAHx2

With accelerated clock, curious how much runoff you will set for the playclock?

14. RRAHx2

17 seconds. It takes 6 seconds to break huddle and snap the ball. So that will leave players with ATLEAST 11 seconds to make pre-play adjustments / snap the ball.

15. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I'm thinking 17 is perfect, as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

I like the quarter length change. I'm OK with 48 hr advances but it would help, imo, if advances were done in the mornings if possible. I find that many times when leagues advance in the 8pm-2am EST block of time that some times I was free to play early but couldn't stay up for the advance and, essentially, lost a day......or maybe I need to get a game in but can't get on til 11 or so and the advance is set for 10pm. Just saying...I like it best when the advance time is set to the opposite time of day from when most are playing. Just my .02

17. SmashMouthFB33

SmashMouthFB33 Walk On

I am will be up to the challenge either way, but I would prefer a set schedule like Keves is talking about. I am also more in favor of keeping 72 hour advance because I believe in quality over quantity. I would rather have less seasons with less sims but that is just me.

18. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

I am a fan of a 3 advances per week schedule. If that goes well then I can support a schedule of 48 hour advances. If we do the 48 hour advances I would ask that when you post the threads notifying us of the new week you would also post when the next advance is in the title.

19. RRAHx2

Just an FYI I will be available tonight after 1130PM CST if anyone wants to scrimmage a community game.

20. RRAHx2

Also, for the preseason I was planning on advancing every 24 hours. That way owners have a chance to play games, but without the long advacnes. So the regular season would really start on this Thursday.

21. Fast Feet Pete

Fast Feet Pete Walk On

This is a bit off topic, but is there any way we could hold off the advance for the draft till tomorrow morning before the draft? I've been out of town for thanksgiving break and won't be home till way late tonight PST and haven't had a chance to spend my last scouting points. I don't think it will make much difference for anyone at all if we advance tomorrow morning but will simply give those of us who have been out a chance to finish scouting.

22. The Rulah

The Rulah Walk On

Has something changed regarding the DB's catching? Interceptions for myself and the computer were nearly impossible to catch.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Glad it wasn't just me.

24. oneshot24

oneshot24 Walk On

ive noticed ive had footballs land directly on 2 hands of my defenders and they drop at least 60% of the time

• Like Like x 1
  25. SmashMouthFB33

SmashMouthFB33 Walk On

I notice the same thing with my receivers!!!!:D