Season 2 - Sliders, Settings, & Penalties

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Aug 5, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Here is my proposal for slider adjustments. I have researched them rather extensively and then coupled that "research" with the following personal rules:

1) We will only be making minor adjustments. The game plays fine. And we all play the same settings.
    2) Any changes made will not make the game "easier"... probably a tad harder. We just had a bad team go 10-2. But we also had a great spread. Couldn't ask for more than that.
    3) A few things were obviously off. We can't perfect them. It's a video game. But we can make minor tweaks.

This said, feel free to comment. But remember...

1) this isn't about you being tired of losing, finding something difficult or even being frustrated over throwing too many INTs.
    2) This is about trying to make minor adjustments to improve the gameplay a tad. So be quiet or use some selfless logic.
    3) and we are not going to wear this out. The final decision will be made tonight. I doubt I'll change much from the proposal below.
    4) Again, we will all play the same sliders, barely tweaked. Deal with it.

Here is my starting point with added comments. In summary, there are 3 main things: the CPU run-game is terrible, there are too many INTs and the FGs are stupid unrealistic.

2. TJM

TJM Walk On

Also keep in mind those of us in the C-USA were only run on maybe 10% of the time, so the rush D numbers were screwed for 3 of us, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt lower it like you did. Also, I do not know what our INT stats were on the defensive side, but it seemed like I had 7-8 INTs dropped a game already, but this could also just be my guys but that is a lot. When you are getting thrown on 50+ times a game, I think we shouldve seen some more INTs on our side of the ball.

Speed threshold makes a big difference in gameplay if moved a good bit. Dont know if yinz noticed but my fast guys had trouble outrunning slow LBs and even DEs. Speed threshold is set at 0 in another league and you barely notice a speed difference but it works better than default.

But I think they look good and I'm down for whatever rules we have and the league wants lol even though we just had an argument on about transfers, the sliders look good.

3. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

A 50% increase in RB ability coupled with the decrease in tackling is a little much in my opinion. Have you played with these sliders to see what they are like?

4. vatechhokie01

-rush D was stupid easy (notorious problem with EA football) and is a known issue on all the forums. Because I have to: are you seriously defending, regardless of opponents (btw, you guys do realize that like 80% of all terrible teams in our confs run the spread right?), that Weave giving up 300 TOTAL YARDS OF RUSHING was realistic? Not to mention that almost every one of our teams was in the top 35 rush Defense... silly.
    -as for interceptions, i realize that robo-LBs and dropped interceptions abound. But reality is that this is the way that EA has tried to make the game realistic... stat wise. As for the stats, plenty of us had PLENTY of interceptions. A priority for sim-stats is most definitely season stats over game-by-game stats, and this was absolutely realistic at the end of the season... maybe we even had a few too many. Look it up.
    -Tanner, your defense was like 50 times worse than anyone else's in the league, lol. I don't buy the spread argument one bit. I played Hawaii, TCU, Boise, Nevada, and New Mexico, who all ran no-huddle spread-type offenses. Don't get me wrong. You guys have prob the most in CUSA, but the Sun Belt and MAC have a good bit as well. All that to say: there might should be some disparity in defensive numbers... but yours were HORRID! Weave's numbers were lightyears ahead of yours and frankly, although Hawaii and TCU lit me up a bit, I didnt find it that crazy. Not to mention you were definitely totally alone in having so many high-scoring games. probably not the best place to evaluate from, lol (again... I love you)

-yea, lowering threshold is great. but we are making minor tweaks and know this: the lower it goes, the slower our terrible teams will be. huge plays for good teams against us will go up to be sure!

5. vatechhokie01

-most have WAY bigger changes. again, these are brutally conservative compared to the consensus.

6. vatechhokie01

anyone besides tanner, who might be the worst defensive player to ever play NCAA, have any thoughts? ;)

7. vatechhokie01

and AGAIN... i must admit, almost all of your comments seem to be coming from the kind of selfish, "defense is hard and i suck at it" stance. reality: our defensive numbers were good... maybe too good. and we had balance: some good at run defense, some not great, some good at pass defense, some not great (look at team stats table).

to be sure, the pass defense was tough and the run defense was simple. trying to tweak those a bit. but we arent going to come anywhere CLOSE to making the game "easier." you just went 7-5 with freakin Tulane and your co-patriot over there in the mighty C-USA dominated, played pretty darn amazing defense, and went 10-2. think about your arguments and then re-read my beginning post.

love how the argument is that the CUSA is so very tough but that the two most successful teams were in that conference, lol. ive played you. and ive played weave. if i can say anything, it is this: we are all pretty level in play talent.

8. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

What I would just like to see is more of a variety of penalties. Holding and clipping were the only ones called in my games

9. vatechhokie01

ok, maybe goose is better than all of us. but i still only remember 2 things from last year:

1) goose getting his ass kicked repeatedly by victor wang
    2) goose being really good with terrelll pryor

eat me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. vatechhokie01

yea, the penalties have ALWAYS been like this in ncaa, havent they? not sure the staff has ever touched them. sucks.

11. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

Well if there programmed into the game they be called? At least once every 13 games?

12. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

*shouldnt

13. vatechhokie01

its kind of pick your poison. in the past facemasks were crazy and false starts were automatic if you fake-hiked. and you would all be PISSED if they started calling penalties all the time. historically, every year everyone ups PI, DI, and Int Grounding to 100 and it still does nothing.

14. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I have no problem with making harder to defend the run. Just looking that the team defense stats will show you a change is needed. My concern is the dramatic improvment of the CPU run ability coupled with the decrease in tackling. I would hate to see the changes result in some of the BS we saw last year in TDL when changes were made and it became plain stupid. If youve played with these (and maybe I should too) and they dont seemto be overboard, then I am for it.

15. TJM

TJM Walk On

I was not trying to be "selfish," seriously. I am sorry for coming off like that with the transfers and my few comments above. I was just pointing out, to help, not to be selfish, that 3 of our rush Ds stats mightve made our rush D better than it seemed. It was just a comment to put out there incase others do not understand why I had a top 5 rush D.

The speed threshold was again, to help, from experience in playing many different speed threshold settings in another league to test out before we landed on a #, that there seemed to be realistic seperation between a Denard Robinson and a slow LB on lower speed threshold without much noticible difference in gameplay speed. Like I said, I am cool with it and it was just a comment to help.

I have no care where we go with the sliders, I was just putting in my input from my games, since I cant really put in input to other peoples in-game gameplay. Really, I do not know how else to evaluate in-gameplay sliders other than our own individual games and stats (as sliders are set to default on user-user games). Like I said, I am cool with whatever rules we have and I'll keep my comments to myself, as I'd rather just play the game quietly than piss people off .

Again, I am sorry for coming off selfish on these comments with this and the transfer rule. I just love college football passionately and want as realistic game as everyone else here.

16. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

two things...dont apologize, debate is welcomed and he is a nazi that needs to be kept in check...

2nd, i bet 4 of us get fired....Hahaha love it

17. vatechhokie01

played, yes. played a bunch of games, no. what do you propose? cuz historically moving sliders minimally like i have doesnt change crap.

the 3 sets of sliders that i saw that were getting heaps of praise had user tackling at 5, cpu run ability at 85, and user rush defense at 25. and again, im not trying to run some professional slider lab. im trying to tweak. this is tweaking. i can move it down to 65 but the sliders instituted in "TDL" were insanely different and insanely changed from one season to the next.

request: before you propose a change, go look, read, and see about slider sets. these proposals literally change nothing compared to well-praised sets. some offering hypotheticals and arguments from the negative. educate yourself and then give a positive opinion.

Note: I am more than willing to not change anything. If you guys are going to end up using "sliders" as an excuse for sucking, let's just keep them where they are at. I'm not being smart. I'm being serious. I do not want to cause controversy but ya'lls comments are scaring me. Relax.

18. vatechhokie01

summary: you guys have offered literally nothing but "make us throw less interceptions" and "dont increase the cpu run defense." well done. offer me something!

my argument: this is hardly dramatic. insanely conservative.

19. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I will admit I have not looked into this at all this year. I do agree a change needs to be made to make it harder to stop the run. If this is really not that big a change and the other leagues are going even more dramatic then lets use them. The 50 to 75 is what shocked me, but I do agree it needs to be harder. I trust your judgement and in the end, we all have to play by them, so it will be the same for everyone.

20. vatechhokie01

this is what I'm going to do. I'm going to change the 75 to 65 and we are all still gonna be badass at stopping the run. you guys are nancies so your welcome. enjoy dominating. end of discussion on the run game. any wonderfully pro-active educated thoughts on the other parts? anyone want to have 22 All-Americans and win a natl championship this year? I can make that happen for you!

21. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Doesn't adjusting the speed threshold alone, lowering, reflecting more of the actual difference between a slow player and a faster one...in itself have a bigger impact on the game that increasing a value or decreasing a value by 5?

Also can you share the slider google doc, just to view, easier to print out!

22. Goose

Goose Walk On

Hey now Vic never kicked my ass. It was always by one score, quite like I routinely did to Mullen. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. vatechhokie01

tug, guess im confused on your question...

yes, lowering threshhold makes differences in speed truer/greater. as for everything else... confused on what you are asking. its all related?

sharing soon.

24. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

Yes please, where do i sign up? Eat it bitches Heath is going to make my team full of gods and warriors! Have fun this year as i look down from the heavens and laugh!

• Like Like x 2
  25. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah i HATE slider discussions because I have nothing useful to offer. I have never ever messed with them, I just play AA and if its to easy, I play heisman. I've got nothing Commish.

• Like Like x 2