Season 2 Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by recchem2000, Mar 14, 2012.

1. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

You know what to do!

2. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

Too many big plays and costly mistakes by the Cats hurt them in the season opener. The D gave up TD plays of 53, 72, and 98 yards while giving up 446 through the air. The offense did a good job moving the ball for the most part. Just critical third down conversions were not made. After a 30-17 deficit late in the 3rd K St went pass happy. This allowed DT Cox for the Bulldogs to rack up 6 sacks. Klein was able to score 2 TDs late in the game. And the offense could have gotten the ball back with seconds to spare. But an offsides penalty nullified a missed FG by MSU, giving them the win.

#7 Mississippi St 37 - #25 Kansas St 31

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

31[​IMG][​IMG]17

[​IMG]

In the Cheez is an asshole game, Indiana takes down UCLA in the rain at the Rose Bowl, 31-17. ZERO turnovers in this game...first time I think that has ever happened for me. UCLA jumped out to 17-7 lead but the Hoosiers chipped away, scoring a TD with 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter to make it a 3 point UCLA lead at halftime.

Indiana took the 2nd half kickoff and marched into UCLA territory, but the drive stalled and the Hoosiers settled for a 40 yard field goal to tie the game. The game breaker came late in the 3rd, when UCLA went for a 4th and goal from the 1 yard line and failed. 3 plays later, Indiana HB Darius Willis rumbled 87 yards for the go ahead score. IU would tack on a security TD late in the 4th quarter and run out the clock after UCLA failed on 4th down.

Player Stats
    IU QB Edward Wright Baker 14/20 205 Yards, 2 TD's
    UCLA QB Richard Brehaut 15/27 278 Yards, 2 TD's

IU HB Darius Willis 22 Carries, 240 Yards, 2 TD's
    UCLA HB Jonathan Franklin 19 Carries, 63 Yards

IU WR Duwyce Wilson 6 Catches, 116 Yards
    IU TE Ted Bolser 3 Catches, 34 Yards, 1 TD
    UCLA WR Shaquelle Evans 4 Catches, 118 Yards, 1 TD
    UCLA WR Ricky Marvray 3 Catches, 51 Yards, 1 TD

IU MLB Zack Shaw 14 Tackles, 6 Solo, 1 TFL
    UCLA SS Dietrich Riley 13 Tackles, 8 Solo, 1 TFL, 1 Sack

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

#2 OK State 41
    Purdue 21

Purdue's offense was really getting underneath OSU's skin in this game, where they were in it until the 4th. OSU just could not come up and make stops on 3rd downs, which was tough because the defense wants to gamble and get the offense back on the field quickly. Purdue's ball control offense kept them in the game as neither team could be stopped in the 1st half. OSU led 21-14 at half, but Purdue opened with a 3:12 TD drive to tie it up. After that, Purdue's offense sort of fell apart as they could not score again which may have had to do with Ralph Bolden getting injured. OK State would score later in the 3rd and added a field goal to go up 10 with 6:40 left. Purdue looked to get back into it, but a quick 3-and-out led to a big OSU punt return and a score on the 1st play from scrimmage, ending the game.

Oklahoma State did prove it could perform offensively without much help at wide receiver. The new offensive coordinator used a similar style, but QB Clint Chelf was given the keys to the offense and played almost perfect. Some believe the new OC is better, because the old one knew to get the hell out of Stillwater as Blackmon, Weeden, and the rest of the receivers did.

GG Boom29 it always pains me to play against your offense because it's all ball control and you seem to kill me on 3rd downs. Not sure how long Bolden is out, but hopefully not too long for you.

OSU Stats
    Clint Chelf (QB)- 18-25 for 231 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 21 carries for 58 yards, TD
    Joseph Randle (HB)- 17 carries for 140 yards, TD
    Justin Horton (TE)- 6 receptions for 103 yards, TD
    Michael Harrison (WR)- 5 receptions for 59 yards, TD
    Deion Imade (FS)- 4 tackles, INT

Purdue Stats
    Rob Henry (QB)- 9-22 for 175 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
    Ralph Bolden (HB)- 9 carries for 56 yards
    Gary Bush (WR)- 2 receptions for 51 yards, TD
    Chris Quinn (SS)- 9 tackles

5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG][​IMG]
    TTU Wins 34-20
    There would be no cupcake warm-up games for WVU or TTU this season, who were both thrust into conference play opening weekend. The Raiders had to travel to WVU and face a team that had beat them soundly last year.

The Red Raider defense would draw first blood on a pick 6 from SS Bullitt. He was playing the shallow zone in a Cover 3 look, and jumped the route early which gave him a wide open run to the endzone. TTU would tack on a FG to go up 10-0, but the Mountaineers would answer in a big way. RB Andrew Buie took advantage of an unbalanced defensive set and went 80 yards to the house.

Tech would respond with a fade to Torres, their impact WR, and thats when things started to get away from WVU. On the drive following Torres' TD, MLB Cqulin Hubert (actual name) laid a devastating hit on a Mountaineer receiver which sent the ball to the turf. The rock was scooped up by ROLB Zach Winbush, who streaked 28 yards for the Raiders second defensive TD of the night. Tech would score another unanswered TD after an enormous bomb downfield to Torres off play-action set up a 2-yd TD rush from Stephens.
    WVU added on a FG in the closing seconds of the 2nd quarter to make it 31-10 at halftime.

The rest of the game saw little action really. The momentum had decidedly swung to Tech, and it didnt seem like West Virginia could overcome their early mistakes. Tech would add a FG and WVU would score 10 to make the final score 34-20.

GG Bulldog Sorry for the late start, and sorry about my late-game clock management. I had to pause it at one point to answer my door.
    Your D played great. I couldnt do much on offense at all. I think I got lucky early on with your missed field goals and the turnovers really gave me the momentum which made things easy for me and much tougher for you.

Next Week, the Raiders have a BYE and will play TCU in Week 3.

Seth Doege
    7/11 174 1TD

Alex Torres
    4REC 76yd 1TD

6. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Also an fyi, if my TE Justin Horton has a game with 100+ yards, that's because he's also my #3 WR so he is on the field at all times. Not trying to just get it to the TE all the time. And if my QB has 20+ carries, most of them are off sacks or designed QB runs (this guy is going to be injured so fast lol).

7. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

42[​IMG][​IMG]#16[​IMG]21
    WILDCATS GO TO AUTZEN AND STUN DUCKS!
    [​IMG]
    Northwestern came into the season knowing that if they were going to win, they would have to play mistake free football and for the most part on Saturday afternoon they did just that, jumping out to a big halftime lead and then storming the castle in the 4th qtr to secure a huge victory. The Cats would turn it over on their very first play from scrimmage, on a fb fumble, but then avoided the costly mistake from that point on while Oregon qb Darron Thomas threw it away 4 times.
    The 1st half started not so good for NU, as they decided to defer and the high octane UO offense flew down the field for an opening fg. The first play for NU was a swing route but FB Flores fumbled it away, giving the Ducks great position. However they could only muster another fg against the zoning Cats D, and the next kickoff changed the game, as little 5'8 speedster Venric Mark jumped inside and raced 102 yards to the house for a 7-6 lead. After that Thomas would throw his first int as the Ducks were driving, leading to a terrific half by NU Qb Evan Watkins, who went 14-16 for 105 and a td and led 2 no-huddle td drives by the Cats offense to give them a 21-6 halftime lead. However a critical blow to the sternum of Watkins knocked him out of the game right before halftime, and RS So Kain Kolter was called upon.
    The second half was completely changed by the loss of Watkins, as Kolter, understandably came out ice cold and the NU offense went stagnant with a slowed pace and now failing running attack. Oregon saw it's chance and took full advantage of the momentum swing, coming back with 2 drives ending in td passes by Thomas to tie the game at 21 heading into the 4th. Thomas and the Ducks were looking to take the lead back early in the 4th when Thomas made his second and 3rd mistakes of the day, getting picked off by the NU Lb's. All the sudden it was clear that Autzen was a little bit shaken, because the fans weren't as loud as they had been, and Kolter settled down to lead back to back td drives for Northwestern, both ending in Mike Trumpy touchdown runs, giving him 3 on the day. The final blow came on the next possession, as Thomas threw late into the flats and converted S Ibraheim Campbell jumped it beautifully and took it 83 yards to send the Wildcat sideline and their small contengiency into a raucous celebration while the Duck faithful sent up a host of "boos" before they piled out of the stadium.
    Now Northwestern gets set to head to East Lansing where they will try to pull a gigantic upset over the Spartans. MSU squashed the Cats to end last season and is vying for back to back National Championship appearances, so this figures to be maybe the most difficult task of the season for NU.

8. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I knew I'd have to keep up with your offense if I was to win because I don't have much talent on the defensive side of the ball. Once you stopped me and went up 10, it forced me to change my offensive philosophy and you were ready fo that. Losing Bolden was big because he doesn't usually go down on first contact which helps keep 3rd down manageable. Luckily he was only out for the remainder of the game.

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

FYI If my TE has 100 yards its because everyone else on my team can't catch and he can (y)

10. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

But if your QB runs 21 times I'm calling bullshit

11. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

What if he is sacked 21 times? That would be 21 rushes, no?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

That would be fun to see

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Cheez came pretty damn close to that with his Cardinal team against the Bruins. It was not fun to see at all!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

yes it was :)

15. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

51[​IMG] VS [​IMG]21

Sparty slays the tiger in Death Valley!

MSU travelled to one of the toughest venues in college football to take on LSU in both teams season opener. Despite Sparty's lofty #4 preseason ranking, many experts had LSU penciled in to win this game at home with their explosive team speed. MSU was undaunted by the stage and answered quite a few questions in the process. Early in this game it was all about Sparty's defense. A TD by CB D. Dennard on an INT made this a 10-0 game early. It was the first of 4 INTs on the day plus one fumble. The D didn't record a sack but got pressure regularly. The third quarter was the Andrew Maxwell show. The Junior signal caller showed the nation that he was ready to step into the shoes of Kirk Cousins and produce, throwing 3 TD strikes to put this game out of reach at the half 38-7. Maxwell finished 14-21 and had 1 INT, but it was on a Hail Mary at the end of the half. LSU got on the board a couple times in the second half working against MSU's soft cover 4. Starting Tailback LeVeon Bell gained 89 yards on 13 carries with a TD before being sidelined with an injury. MSU trainers confirmed that it is a rib injury that will almost certainly keep him out of next weeks Big 10 opener vs Northwestern and maybe the showdown with #1 Stanford the week after. The news sullies an otherwise fantastic road victory.

16. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Boilermakers Upset Seminoles in 2 OT
    Win 30-27 in West Lafayette

After causing a fumble on Florida State's second OT possession, a 44 yard field goal by Cody Webster gave the Boilermakers a come-from-behind victory over the ranked Seminoles. Purdue scored the final 10 points in regulation to send the game into overtime, and would then hold the Seminoles to a FG in the first OT after Florida State had reached the six yard line for a first and goal.

Early on, it appeared that it would be a long afternoon for the Purdue defense as Seminole QB Clint Trickett connected with WR Willie Haulstead for two long TD passes (54,51) in the first quarter. Nevertheless, the Purdue defense would keep the Seminoles off the scoreboard for the remainder of the half, allowing the offense to respond prior to halftime to bring the score to 14-7.

The second half saw the Seminoles increase their lead back to 14 on Haulstead's third TD reception of the afternoon, but the Boilermaker offense would find a way to respond to remain within striking distance.

Notable Stats
    QB Rob Henry - 14/30, 219 yards, 2 INT
    HB Ralph Bolden - 31 car, 96 yards, 2 TD, long 11
    WR Gary Bush - 2 rec, 89 yards
    WR Antavian Edison - 5 rec, 59 yards
    DE Robert Maci - 4 tack, 3 sack, FF, FR
    DT Bruce Gaston - 2 tack, 2 sack, FF
    K Cody Webster - 3/3 FG, long 44 (all in 4th quarter & OT)

17. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

ya gg man

18. Bulldog

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mountaineers Stun Sooners!
    [​IMG]

West Virginia would stun the Sooners this weekend 49-22 in what was expected to be an easy win for the Sooners. Geno Smith was named player of the game completing 17 of 26 passes for 378 yards and 4 touchdowns, Smith also had 1 rushing touchdown. HB Andrew Buie had a pretty good game rushing for 91 yards on 24 carries for 2 touchdowns, Buie would also score 1 receiving touchdown on a 16 yard HB screen. Both Wide Receivers Stedman Bailey and Tavon Astin would have a big game catching 3 a piece and combining for 238 yards and 3 touchdowns. Next week the Mountaineers continue conference play and hope to beat the Baylor Bears.

19. Cheez

NW wins at Oregon
    Purdue wins vs. Florida State
    Now West Virginia wins vs. Oklahoma

should I make the schedules harder next year? :)

20. Bulldog

Im just getting used to the sliders. They were hard at first but now they are alot easier.

21. Jayrah

Only if you take the most difficult schedule.

22. Cheez

Why would you do that to a "D-II team"?

23. Jayrah

cuz youre talkin like you could handle it. Come on man, you know what goes around, comes around :p

24. Cheez

I never said I could handle it (although I did beat missouri) .... I just see some big upsets here and am asking the members of the OD if they would like more of a challenge ;)

Seems like you are asking for a trip to tuscaloosa next year. I will keep that under consideration ;)

25. Jayrah

Ok mr grinch. I think you're having some little man syndrome. Ever since you took over Illinois you are jealous of everything... except Indiana... :p