Season 2 / Week 1

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Lee.Flex, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Season 2 / Week 1

Post Them Here -

2. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Decided that it was time to take chances this year towards the future. So i decided to take and start my 3* qb i got to take and sign this offseason. He wasn't very accurate but he led Uab to a 42-28 victory. Uab had a great game from there best player Wr Forrest. Really look forward to the tough games ahead

3. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Starting Off On the Right Foot; Florida International Defeats Iowa State, 49-28

[​IMG]

Miami, FL - The FIU campus has been buzzing all off-season about the recent hiring of Coach Jam, and today, they got to see him in action for the first time. Coach Jam had little coaching experience, but after FIU's season ended in a tailspin last year, the athletic department felt the need for a change of culture. Jam promised to make FIU prevalent for the first time in the national scene, and to win football games.

Well, he's off to a good start.

Facing a daunting out of conference schedule, Coach Jam has taken the cliched 'one game at a time' approach to this season, refusing to look ahead at games against teams such as University of Miami, #9 Notre Dame, and #15 Clemson. Iowa State proved to be worthy of some attention.

First, we'll begin with the bad. Coach Jam had told the fan base straight out, there would be some growing pains with the defensive philosophy he would try to instill. FIU just simply lacks the talent on the defensive side of the ball to run his scheme. Iowa State proved very potent on the ground and through the air, having Senior QB Austen Arnaud rack up 220 yards through the air with 0 touchdowns and 1 interception, and Senior RB Alexander Robinson gaining 103 of the 160 yards rushing, with 2 touchdowns.

But on a positive note, the offense was clicking on all cylinders. Coach Jam instilled a pistol offense over the off-season, but this pistol had the firepower of a cannon today.

Senior QB Wayne Younger performed like the experienced quarterback he is, completing 10 of 16 passes for 174 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception. However, his biggest asset was on the ground, gaining yards through clever option plays. Also, when the secondary of Iowa State played well, Younger would do his best to recognize when a play was sufficiently covered and scramble for yards. Younger finished the day with 13 rushing attempts for 100 yards and 1 touchdown (including this 4 yard touchdown run; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12860644).

However, Younger wasn't the only player gaining a lot of yards on the ground, as Darrian Mallary showcased his talent, using 29 rushing attempts to gain 201 yards and 3 touchdowns (including this 78 yard touchdown run; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12860719).

The Florida International Golden Panthers gear up to face in-city rival University of Miami next week. Last time these two teams met, it resulted in an on-field brawl, so we'll see how this game pans out.

[Editor's note: Sorry if there is any typos...its 1 AM.]

4. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Good win guys. off to some good starts.

5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I had an incredibly tough and close game with Florida.....I know crazy right?? A D+ team coming into the swamp and almost pulling off a HUGE upset. Well I lost 28-21. Details to come later tonight, as well as some key highlights.

6. BG

BG On The Rize!

Tried to post message, keep timing out!!!

7. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

That's weird...did you try again?

8. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Close Game in Colorado.... Boise barley gets the W​

Coming off a dis-appointing Bowl Loss, Air Force was looking to start the season off with a big up-set win over Boise State.... to bad turn-overs and a pair of missed FG's would de-rail the Victory.

1st Qtr
    After a long drive, Air Force was in the red-zone looking to score, but a T.Jefferson fumble would be picked up by Boise State and taken to the house.

AF would rebound on the kick-off when RB Michaels took it 101 Yds to the house. His 1st this season, after having 5 last season. 7-7

Boise would come back with a big 57 Yard run and go up 14-7. AF hit a FG to end the Qtr 14-10 Boise

2nd Qtr
    Only score was AF. RB Stephens ran it in from 8 Yards out. 17-14 AF @ Half
    (Stephens was injuried on late hit and did not return)

3rd Qtr
    Boise heated up, socring on a 68 Yard run and a 28 Yard pass. 27-17 Boise. AF would came back at the end of the qtr with a 2 Yard Clark run. 27-24 Boise

4th Qtr

Jefferson would lead a great drive, but on a 1st down run from the pocket, he was hit hard and did not return to the game. AF had its chances, but missed 2 FG's in the 4th Quarter. Boise added a TD towards the end... and that was it.

Air Force : 31
    #17 Boise State : 34

Player of the Game:
    Boise RB J.Avery 11 carries, 132 Yards, 2TD's

9. Emmdotfrisk

Wow sounds like we both had nail biters Lee.

Scouting report on Florida...

* With the loss of Tebow, Florida's offense isn't nearly as potent. Starting QB Brantley has below average speed, yet runs plays similar to Tebow. When I say similar I don't mean he performs them with the same effectiveness, but rather that he runs the same plays. In example, Qb blast, ect. They come to the line with a lot of spread sets, so shotgun, 5 wide, trips, and so on. Inside and outside handoffs while in these sets can easily be stopped with outside pressure from DE and a MLB "Spy." I shut down demps like he was playing flag football with 1,000 flags around his belt. The tough part for me was covering the receivers. I got next to no pressure on Brantley, but when I did he made terrible throws. If you can get good pressure on him while covering the receivers you will win the game.

*Offensive keys.....when a slot receiver motions to the backfield 100% of the time its an option. So slant your D line toward the motion. If Brantley decides to keep the ball you should have no problems because he runs like Ken Dorsey, tall and slow. If they show I formation and double tight, I would say 90% of the time it is run. I think I saw maybe one play action fake.

*Defensively they were like a brick wall against my run game. I ran simply to keep them off balance. Their LB and DL over pursued often so I was able to get good yardage on play actions and screen passes. Throwing deep was not an option because I didnt have enough time to let the play develop. I did a lot of quick hit plays with slants, swings, flats, and hooks. Each one of my drives were 12-16 plays and took up a good chunk of the playclock. I should have one but in the redzone choked, throwing two interceptions......one was a good ole MLB rocket catch.

*Good luck buddy, I think you have a legitamate chance at winning. Just avoid the big play, play conservative, and don't try and score quick.....FL defense is too good.

10. NDCOLTS1979

And to think it only gets harder lol

11. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Kent State is at home eating cheeseburgers. Undefeated.

The BCS busting hope is still alive for this week! :dance nana:

12. Super3Way

Super3Way Guest

Rough start for game 1, good start for the season

Memphis 35 Miss St 17

Miss St started out on fire, moving the ball with ease against the Memphis D. They scored the first 10 points and it looked like it would be an easy W for them. But when the second quarter started, Memphis woke up and threw 35 unanswered points on the board. Miss st scored a garbage time TD at the end to make it 35-17 final.

13. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

In what looks like it will be a very long year for WKU. Army whipped them 41-36.

Please don't let the score fool you. Army gains nearly 600 yards in total offense. WKU returns 1 kickoff for a TD, almost returns a seconds one for a TD. Both teams forced 3 turnovers. Vasquez still does not know what to do in redzone, throwing another interception there.

Looks like a 0-12 season.

My notes:

I wish I made the offseason sunday night. We did get 1 transfer,a CB, we could really use him this year. I don't know how recruiting went but it looks like it was horrible. WKU had at least 4 players from year 1 that needed pos changes with.

All that being said. Highest player actually playing his "right" position on defense is only a 71. My secondary consists of all FS and SS starting. Offense had more talent year 1.

If I did the offseason, maybe I win 4. I like rebuilding teams. This will be a fun, frustrating challenge. We will be a top 25 team in 2013, that's my goal for these freshmen that signed with us.

(y)

14. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Recruiting went horrible for everyone. The server jumped us from week 3 recruiting to position change. We all missed out on a lot of signings and had to take walk-ons.

15. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Tulane 35 LSU 28
    Tulane opens the season with a win over rival LSU. The Green Wave jumped out to a 21-0 lead but LSU scores 21 unanswered to tie the game late in the 3rd.The fourth was owned by Tulane as they take a 14 point lead until LSU scores with about a minute to go. (LSU's Terrance Tolliver is an absolute beast. He took two short slants to the house on me. I couldn't commit to him cause they have two wr's named Tolliver. Grrrr!!!)

16. NDCOLTS1979

So thats what happened i was like wait it cant be. Yeah i had 4 4* i was 1st and one was a soft commit

17. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I have a CB that will never see the field at CB, but will see playing time at HB. I have a TE that will never see time there but will see plenty of time at WR. I have at least 3 FS/SS that should be CB. I think I even have a CB that should be QB. These are all guys that could have changed pos in offseason. I was not trying to be critical of the offseason process, I really think it's funny.

18. Emmdotfrisk

ARKANSAS STATE DROP CLOSE ONE TO #2 GATORS, 28-21

ARKANSAS STATE DROP CLOSE ONE TO #2 GATORS, 28-21

[​IMG]

Season Opener, nationally broadcasted game between the Arkansas State Red Wolves and the #2 Florida Gators started off quite interesting as the Red Wolves kept up with the Gators. Both teams came out of the gates scoring on their first possession. Florida seemed to gain steam as they proceeded to score 14 unanswered points across the duration of two more quarters jumping to a 21-7 lead late.

Led by RSSO QB Ryan Alpin, the Red Wolves scored 14 points in the 4th quarter to come within 7 with 57 ticks on the clock. A failed onside kick resulted in the end of the game and the win for the Gators.

The Red Wolves out played the #2 Gators as they had more total yards offense, with more on the ground and in the air than Florida. The key difference in the game was the two interceptions thrown by Arkansas State RSFR QB Philip Butterfield, while the Gators were perfect.

PLAYERS OF THE GAME

[​IMG]

SR WR #8 Lucious Henderson 13 catches for 148 yards 1 TD

[​IMG]

RSSR FS #3 Marquette Williams 9 Tackles

UP NEXT FOR THE RED WOLVES

The Arkansas State Red Wolves (0-1) will now face rival Louisville in Jonesboro on September 4th. This will mark ASU's home opener and will be a much anticipated game as they played Louisville twice last year, winning both games. Arkansas State Defeated the Cardinals by two points in the regular season and in the Magic-Jack St. Petersburg Bowl by a mere TD. You can guarantee Louisville will be looking for revenge.