Season 2 - Week 13 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Season 2 - Week 13 Game Summaries

Good luck guys

2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]

ECU 45 UAB 7: Victory For Pirates Makes them Bowl-Eligible as they End the Year 6-6

East Carolina

Week 13 was a week of mixed emotions for the fans of ECU. On the one hand, they were filled with excitement as they got to welcome Coach Zikry to his home debut, but on the other hand, with this being the last game on the schedule, the fans knew that football season was coming to a close for yet another year. With a full week under his belt, Zikry felt like he knew a lot more about his team than before the Navy game, and felt like the team deserved to give their fans a show they would remember. Said Coach after the game,"this game was a complete team effort, and hopefully is a sign of things to come next year. This team started the season 0-4, and to go 6-2 in their last 8 games shows that this team has character. I was lucky enough to come in these last couple of games and guide these boys to victory, but in all honesty, it was their fire and determination that got us these wins. They make this coaching job look easier than it is when they put out an outstanding effort like they did tonight".

Onto the recap!

UAB won the toss and decided to receive, but their first drive wouldn't last long as TE Ed Pruitt caught a ball for a 9 yard gain before getting pummeled by the ECU defense, causing him to fumble the ball which was recovered by the Pirates (highlight on hub). Given the great field position Brad Wornick wasted no time in taking advantage as he found his WR Reese Wiggins for a 20 yard score to put ECU up 7-0 (highlight on hub). The ECU offense would start off red hot in this game, scoring in all 3 of their first quarter drives as Wornick found HB Michael Dobson in the flats after reading the UAB blitz beautifully, and the HB took care of the rest as he raced down the sideline for a 56 yard score. Dobson would get his second touchdown on the day with 2:19 left in the 1st quarter on a 1 yard run to put the Pirates up 21-0 afer 1.

The 2nd quarter was more of the same as the no-huddle offense of UAB kept faltering, meaning that they were just giving ECU more time to score when they had the ball. ECU would add 17 more points in the 2nd quarter. First, Wornick threw his 3rd TD on the day as he found WR Carter Gagnon for a 56 yard score. Add on to that a 41 yard FG by Ben Ryan and a 3 yard run by Alex Owah (Dobson was injured by this point and missed the rest of the game. For some reason ECU feels the need to have 8 QBs but only 2 recognized HBs so for the remainder of the game Owah was the only recognized HB and WR Gagnon actually had to step in and take 7 carries in the 2nd half as ECU ran out the clock the entire 2nd half). At the end of the half the Pirates had a commanding 38-0 lead.

As stated earlier the entire 2nd half was all about milking the clock by running the ball. UAB's failure at getting anything done on offense while constantly going back to the no huddle offense meant that the clock wasn't allowed to run as quickly as Coach Zikry would have wanted. He said after the game "well the game was really pretty much over by halftime. I told the guys to go out there and just show me what the running game can do. Especially with Dobson going out injured in the 1st half I wanted to see what Owah was capable of at the HB position, especially knowing the fact that the entire stadium, including the UAB defense, knew that we were going to constantly run the ball down their throats in the 2nd half after getting such a commanding lead."

With that said, the 2nd half was forgettable for a viewer's standpoint. The ECU defense continued its dominance, forcing 2 more fumbles (with 1 recovery) and racking up 2 interceptions (both courtesy of senior CB Emanuel Davis). The fans that did stay until the finale were able to finally see some scoring in the 2nd half as Owah took a handoff up the middle, juked past his defender and scored on a 16 yard rush near the end of the game, but once again the ECU defense were unable to keep hold of the shutout, as UAB scored with the last play of the game, as David Isabelle found his TE, Ed Pruitt, for a 1 yard score.

Final Score: 41-7

Game Notes:

*Emanuel Davis continues his strong play as he nabbed down another 2 interceptions. In the 2 games since Zikry was named head coach, Davis has led by example on the defensive side of the ball, intercepting 2 passes in each of those games. Davis only had 1 interception in his first 10 games.

*Speaking of leading by example, it seems like there is nothing that can faze ECU QB Brad Wornick. Given basically only one half of work in this game Wornick was still able to gash the UAB defense to the tune of 301 yards on 13-21 passing, 3 TDs and 0 interceptions.

*Alex Owah was able to break the 100 yard rushing mark for the first time this season, due in large part to Dobson's injury and the fact that ECU kept running the ball in the 2nd half. Owah finished the day with 106 yards on 21 carries while scoring 2 TDs.

3. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

UNLV Can't Hold Serve at Home
    New Mexico 24 UNLV 21

UNLV, having clinched the conference championship last week, came into this week looking to take on a tough UNM program. The game started off as a defensive battle and on it's 3rd drive of the game, UNLV was dealt a crushing blow, with their now starter (who replaced the injured Clausen) at QB Barnhill breaking his collarbone, losing the rest of the season. A few plays later the 3rd string QB, and former WR, throws a crucial INT inside the UNM 5 when he over threw an open receiver on the slant. That was the turning point of the game.

New Mexico's offense woke up and started killing the lackluster UNLV D, driving up and down the field. Big time runs by both the QB and HB were made on crucial drives. New Mexico caused about 10 broken tackles which led to long runs. UNLV looked to get back in the game, causing a fumble, only to have a UNM WR win the scrum for the ball. New Mexico returned the favor a few drives later, but they successfully picked up the fumble. A dropped wide open TD pass was the nail in the coffin for UNLV. The Rebels scored a meaningless TD with 11 seconds to go to make the score look better but all in all, after the loss of their last QB on the depth chart, they really couldn't muster up enough of a fight.

4. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

nice job zikry(y)

tough loss D5, there's always the bowl game though(y)

UNM's coach is turning some heads this year, very impressive first season(y)

5. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

Yeah, he is good. He runs the read option very well.

6. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

D5, great write up, and I don't have too much to add to it, game could have went either way until the pick in the redzone which just killed offensive momentum for the Rebels in the 3rd.

The Lobos with the win enjoy their first 10-win season in school history and are a sure lock for a berth in the Independence Bowl.

7. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

FAU (27) @ FIU (41)

The celebration of winning the schools 1st Sun Belt Conference Championship could be seen in the streets of South Florida, as the Golden Panthers disposed of rival Florida Atlantic in a fitting end to the season. The Golden Panthers relied on every element of team play to pull out the "W", they had two field goals, a 100 yard rushing performance, a 100 yard receiving performance, and a 90 yard touchdown fumble recovery.

Coach Stewart was not available after the game for comment as he held a team meeting to inform his team that he would be moving on to UCLA at the end of the year.

8. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

[​IMG]
    VS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todays matchup between the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes and North Texas Mean Green started with a bang. Tulsa got the ball to start the game and drove the length of the field for the opening touchdown behind the passing of L.DeVilliers and the running of D.Nelson. North Texas first drive ended when R.Parker hooked up with D.Carey for a 52 yrd bomb to tie the game. Tulsa answered with another drive capped by a L.DeVilliers touchdown pass too R.Johnson too end the first quarter 14-7.

The Mean Green tied the game on their first drive of the second quarter when R.Parker threw his secod td pass of the day this time too D.Brigham. The Mean Green defense was able too slow Tulsa's offense, holding them to a 32 yard field goal by K.Fitzpatrick. Tulsa's defense returned the favor by forcing a Mean Green punt with just 50 sec on the clock til halftime. L.DeVilliers lead his team down too the Mean Green 7 yard line with 18 sec left on the clock. The next play the Mean Green had everybody covered so L.DeVilliers decided too run it in himself to give Tulsa the 24-14 lead going into the half.

North Texas got the ball too start the third quarter and they put together a good drive that stalled and had to settle for a 34 yard field goal. Later in the third Tulsa finnaly got things rolling again with a long drive capped by a D.Nelson 1 yard td run. The Mean Green finished the third quarter with another R.Parker td pass to cut the Tulsa lead too 31-24.

Tulsa's first possesion of the fourth quarter ended in a disaster when back up rb J.Douglas fumbled the ball and Mean Green de K.Obi scooped it up and rumbled 57 yards for the equalizer. With five minutes left in a tied game Tulsa qb L.DeVilliers lead his team down the field and threw his secon td of the game too give Tulsa the late 38-31 lead. The Mean Green offense went three and out and was forced too punt with just two minutes left on the clock. Tulsa chewed the clock and kicked a 49 yard fieldgoal with 15 seconds left in the game.

After the game Tulsa found out they have become bowl eligible with a 6-6 record.(y)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Going bowlin! Congrats(y)

10. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nevada Loses a Wild Shootout to Hawaii, 45-52

Honestly guys, I'm not really going to get too in-depth with this one lol. Hawaii just came out of the gates ON FIRE. I swear, I tried every scheme possible and their QB just laughed at me as he put on his superman cape. I've never felt so helpless in this game haha(y)

Nevada went up 7-0, but Hawaii would jump to a 31-10 lead by halftime. This would balloon to 38-10 in the 3rd quarter:eek: This is Hawaii folks.

Anyways, Nevada would claw back to 45-52. Amazingly, by the grace of a higher power, Nevada had the ball with 90 seconds left and had the chance to tie the game. Keep in mind, I WAS DOWN 10-38 in the THIRD!!!! Yeah, I was pretty shellshocked too. Lo and behold, as I am marching down the field, my TE decides to fumble the ball at the Hawaii 25 yard line. Game. Set. Match.

My QB had over 600 yards passing (wtf) and threw 5 td's vs 3 INT's. Hawaii's QB had over 500 yards passing on 70% passing (good God) with 5 TD's vs 1INT.

This felt like a freaking arcade game the way I had to play in the second half just to catch up, throwing every running play out the window. Throw on first. Throw on second. Throw on 3rd. Throw on 4th.

Disappointing end to what has been an up and down rebuilding year. At least I now know what my QB and wide receivers are capable of lol. I rarely, and I mean RARELY ever throw a deep pass with my players...I didn't think they were fast enough haha. Now I know:p

11. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Rice looses to Houston 44 to 17.

When asked about the game Coach Osiris didn't seem too concerned about the loss. "Really this game wasn't about me being the head coach at Rice. That will happen next season. This game was about me seeing what the players of this team could do and I must say I walked away disappointed."

Rice started strong stopping Houston on their first drive then going up 7-0 on a long pass to HB Sam McGuffie for 85 yards. According to Coach Osiris "this McGuffie guy can really play." That lead was short lived as Houston drove back down the field and scored on a Charles Sims 4 yard run. Throughout the night, Sims was unstoppable rushing for 92 yards on 15 carries including an number of critical 3rd down conversions.

In the second quarter Rice would tie the game 17-17 with a minute left, only it proved one minute too long as Houston marched 90 yards down the field and scored to take the half time lead. The second half proved a disaster for Rice as QB Taylor Cook tossed up 3 INTs in the half, including one that got returned 41 yards for a TD. Houston posted a 20 point 3rd quarter that sealed the game.

After the game Coach Osiris had this to say. "Well my players really underperformed out there. I'm not here to pat them on the ass when they loose and tell them it will be ok. They have mothers for that. I'm here to win football games and if they play like that it's no wonder they are 2-10 on the season. Next year I'll be implementing my system. Obviously we can't go pass happy because you need a QB to pass the ball and we don't have one of those. I won't go into any details about what system we will be running until closer to the start of the season but rest assured Rice will never stoop this low again. In fact, I'd be surprised if we didn't end up on top of the C-USA West standing this time next year. Yeah I know we have a D- rated team but there is more to winning games then talent. There is coaching and that's why I'm here."

12. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Huskies clinch MAC East

NIU 42
    Temple 17

Northern Illinois (9-2) won their final conference game 42-17 over the Temple Owls to go undefeated in the MAC. The Huskie offense dominated the Owls all day long and the defense was stout in the second half.

QB Chandler Harnish hooked up with TE Jason Schepler for three TDs on six catches and 82 yards. Sophomore sensation WR Anthony Johnson continued his impressive breakout year with six catches for 126 yards and one TD.

"We kicked their heinies raw, yes we did!" Coach Jerry "the Rhinoceros" Bumpers said while popping the top off a champagne bottle. "Next week you'll bear witness to additional raw heinies in New Mexico and then it's on to the MAC Championship game. I hope them recruits we had in today enjoyed the butt kicking extravaganza we put on for them."

NIU travels to New Mexico State next week for their final game of the regular season.

13. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Looks like a lot of good games went down this week!! Nice writeups, always enjoy reading these!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.