Season 2 - Week 2 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Season 2 - Week 2 Game Summaries

Good Luck Everyone
    Some of you still need to upload videos from week 1 to easportsworld so i can get them for our highlight and add me to friends on there. If you need help ask us and we will help you, this is a very simple task.

2. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

yeah, my bad. i think this is one of the few times where i forgot to upload my videos. next time for sure!

3. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

Rebels Squeak Out a Tight One at Home
    Kansas 34 UNLV 35

There was quite a ballgame today in Las Vegas, as the Rebels went to battle with the Jayhawks of Kansas. This game looked to be trending in the direction of last weeks loss to UCLA as Kansas put up 14 unanswered points in the first quarter. One TD on a 25 yard strike from Pick to the TE Biere and one explosive 53 yard run by the HB Opurum.

But the tide turned in the second quarter, as UNLV answered back with 14 points of their own. The first score was on a CJ Cox rush from 13 yards out and the second came on a huge 79 yard pass hook up from Senior QB Mike Clausen to Freshman athlete turned A back, Ben Herman.

The 3rd quarter looked to be the point where UNLV would make their move after scoring a TD on a 40 yard option pitch from Clausen to Cox but Kansas struck right back with a huge 56 yard running play from Opurum to make it his second 50+ yard rushing TD of the day.

In the forth quarter UNLV capped off a long drive by handing the ball to the B back, Imari Thompson for a 2 yard TD. Kansas appeared to have scored the equalizer on a 15 yard hook up from Pick to the WR McDougald but missed the extra point, still leaving them down 1 point. After the Jayhawk D held UNLV to a quick 3 and out, Kansas scored, what looked like the game winner: a 15 yard TD strike from Pale to Terry. This put Kansas up 6. UNLV had a holding call on the kick return that caused them to start their drive inside their own 20 yard line but Senior QB Mike Clausen led the Rebels down the field with precision, capping the game with a 20 yard TD pass to B back CJ Cox. The extra point put the Rebels up one.

Kansas wasn't done though. After two big pass plays, the Jayhawks were inside the Rebel half of the field with 40 seconds to play. The UNLV D, who looked to be collapsing, took a chance and brought some pressure, forcing a hurried throw by Pick and ended the game with a Eric Tuiloma INT.

Coach disktrktFIVE had this to say after the game:

Players of the Game:
    KU
    QB Kale Pick: 21-29 for 273 yards + 3 TD 1 INT
    HB Toben Opurum: 12 carries for 149 yards + 2 TD (both for more than 50 yards); 3 catches for 11 yards

UNLV
    QB Mike Clausen: 6-13 for 175 yards + 2 TD 1 INT; 18 carries for 97 yards
    A Back CJ Cox: 7 carries for 92 yards + 2 TD; 1 catch for 20 yards + 1 TD

What to Watch for:
    Can UNLV's D ever get it figured out?

4. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Sounds like an awesome game. Congrats on the win

5. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nifty win, D5! Hopefully I'll get my first win of the season in my next game. Well, seeing how I play Auburn, maybe I'll get a win the week after instead.

6. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

San Diego State (2-0) 23 vs. Air Force (0-2) 6

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The San Diego State Aztecs have been living up to last year's hype thus far in the 2011 season, winning at home against Air Force in Week 2 by a score of 23-6. The Aztec defense as been phenomenal thus far in 2011, holding Ole Miss to only 14 points in Week 1 and Air Force to 6 points in Week 2. "We were really nervous heading into this season not knowing how our defense would fare with losing a group of leaders we had last year," said Coach E "But it's evident they have stepped up to the challenge and are just as good, if not better than last years group."

On the Offensive side of the ball, Junior Quarterback Ryan Lindley struggled early on failing to complete some easy passes, but recovered later in the game and finished with 183 yards and a TD. The running game was spot on today in San Diego as pre-season All-American Walter Kazee rushed for 222 yards on only 20 carries and a TD. Kazee could have had 2 TD but fumbled at the goal line as he was about to carry the ball in for his second score. Kazee has had issues holding onto the ball so far this season, but Coach E says it is nothing to worry about and Walter will continue to get the job done week in and week out.

Defense has been a strong point recently for the Aztecs and this week was no exception. Sophomore Cornerback Jose Perez recorded his 3rd interception of the season on a pass that was intended for an Air Force receiver in the right corner of the endzone. Perez now has 3 INT and 1 TD on the season. The biggest surprise for the Aztecs thus far has been the left side on the defensive line with Sophomores Everett Beed and Dontrell Onuahu. Beed recorded 4 tackles and 2 sacks on the day which gives him 3 sacks on the season. Onuahu recorded 12 tackes, 8 of them for a loss, forced a fumble, and had 2 sacks. Onuahu now has 4 sacks in only 2 weeks of the season.

Offensive Player of the Game : Walter Kazee 20 carries 222 yards, 1 TD. 1 catch for 27 yards

Defensive Player of the Game : Dontrell Onuahu 12 tackles, 2 sacks, FF

Follow the Aztecs as they travel to Palo Alto, CA to take on the #18 Stanford Cardinals​

7. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

FIU (21) @ UCF (27)

The Golden Panthers fell to 0-2 on the season with a tough loss to intra-state rival Central Florida, in Orlando, Fl. Both teams played sloppy football, and not just because of the weather, they combined for 9 turnovers, which lead to a back and fourth battle. We caught up with Coach Stewart after the game.

"We made one big mistake and that cost us the game, we ran the option all week in practice without problems, but we fumble the pitch, and they take it to the house, you take that play away and we have ourselves a different ball game. We need to continue to cut down on the turnovers, I like what I'm seeing out of the passing game, but four interceptions is still way too many. It's putting a lot of pressure on our D, fortunetly they were able to cause four turnovers themselves. The pick 6 and fumble recovery as they were getting ready to score, kept us in the game. For the most part I was pleased with the way our defense played, but then you look at the stats and we gave up over 400 yards of offense. We'll come out next week looking to compete.

Stats
    FIU/UCF
    Score 21/27
    First Downs 13/22
    Total Offense 334/402
    Rushes 14 for 33 yards, 0 touchdowns/30 for 184, 2 tds
    Passing 14-43 for 301 yards 2 touchdowns/ 20-34 for 218, 0 TDs
    3rd Down% 38%/30%
    Turnovers 5/4
    Fumbles 1/1
    Int 4/3
    TOP 11:06/ 16:54

8. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Monstrous game by Kazee, OnIowa(y)

You'll get em next time csboiler!

9. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

[​IMG]

UTEP puts the pieces together; Beats #19 Penn State

It took teamwork. It took play-calling. It took skill. And most of all it took a little luck. In front of a sell out crowd in El Paso the UTEP Miners did the unthinkable, the unbelievable, sent visiting Penn State home thinking what the hell just happened. UTEP wasn't suppose to win, they weren't even suppose to be on the same field as a program like Penn State but they proved doubters wrong. UTEP used a combination of tough, tough defense and ball control offense, simple as that. Oh yeah and did I mention a little luck? UTEP had a ton of injuries, dropped balls, missed tackles, blown assignments but some how pulled it out. Penn State ran the ball at will but after a blown option play that UTEP picked off it seemed like Penn State didn't want to run the ball any more, that cost them the game. UTEP will hope to repeat the success as they visit the mother ship next week, The University of Texas.

Player of the Game: UTEP- QB- Javia Hall- 15-37 for 231 yards + 2 TDs // 9 rushes for 44 yards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

NIU at Washington St

Well I had a 5 point lead with ball about to score again with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Then the game freezes.

So I play it again, and I get totally destroyed. I'm too mad to write a recap.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

Great win UTEP!

Wow Rhino that sucks.

12. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Big Brother Still Supreme

In Saturdays game between Arkansas and Arkansas State the players were geared up for their first meeting. The Hogs came into the game ranked #6 in the country and the the Red Wolves looking to steal their thunder. After a non productive first quarter by both teams the Razorbacks offense took things into their own hands and began an onslaught on the Red Wolves. The Red Wolves attempted to mount a comeback in the later quarters of the game but turnovers and a great defense doomed the Red Wolves.

Arkansas 36 Arkansas State 14

Coach Sabo had this to say "We came into this game huge underdogs and rightfully so. The Razorbacks proved why they are #6 in the country today. I think there were some bright spots on our offense and defense today. This is a learning experience and I look forward to the Hogs coming to Jonesboro next season. We will now go lick our wounds and hit the film room and learn from our loss.

[​IMG]

13. ChaoticUT

Thanks guys. Im still not sure how I did it, it was more of Penn State losing it then me winning it.

14. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Shaddup and quit being humble(y)

Round of drinks on ChaoticUT(y)

15. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

I second that! !!

16. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

I third that, another round if I beat Stanford this week? ;)

17. ChaoticUT

No really, I dont think the gameplay is as flawed as the play calling for the CPU. I think sliders get the game as close to perfect as they can, if the CPU play calling was better the game would be near perfect. All my big plays came from when they were sending the house and the CPU shows the all out blitz and i beat them over the top. Then on offense they were running alllllllllllll over me but would never stick with it a whole drive and would go to the passing game on like 2nd short, 3rd short. I had a beautiful punt that i downed at the 3 yard line and they passed the ball 3 straight times, who does that?!

18. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah I hear you about the crazy play calling. Of course when they bring the house on me and I throw to my WR over the top he either drops a sure touchdown or I over throw him. After that I proceed to throw my controller at the wall.

19. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

That's how i got a 80 yrd td pass vs arkansas. I uploaded the video to the dynasty wire.

20. ChaoticUT

haha ya I feel ya. You dont know how many times i hear " its just a game" from my gf. I was like excuse me, its a national upset in the making babe

21. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

haha ya I feel ya. You dont know how many times i hear " its just a game" from my gf. I was like excuse me, its a national upset in the making babe

haha that's awesome. my gf just looks at me and shakes her head(y)

22. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Lobos 24 Boston College Eagles 7

Lobos are officially on their first winning streak since 2008 with a win against the Eagles. It was a defensive clinic in Albuquerque as the Lobos pass defense dominated and the front-7 flex its muscle against a bigger BC offensive line. Offensively Lobo QB Tarean Austin would have the best day in his short career going 12-23, 195yds, 3tds, 1int. The defense would be paced by DE Johnathan Rainey who added 2 more sacks to his NCAA leading total. Next the Lobos continue playing host, this time to hated in-state rival New Mexico State in the annual Rio Grande Rivalry game.

Coach's thoughts after game
    "We played very well against a quality opponent, things are heading in the right direction in Albuquerque."

On QB Tarean Austin's performance
    "Its starting to click for him and its showing, he has battled in-game adversity well, the team is following him and he is leading by example."

On the defensive performance
    "We knew we had something special, but we never expected these types of performances so quickly, kids were flying around out there, very exciting to see as a coach."

Team Stats
    T. Austin 12-23 195yds 3tds 1int, 9car 13yds
    D. Dennis 14car 61yds
    Q. Solomon 3rec 51yds 1td

23. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nevada Annihilated by Auburn, Loses 21-61

Still reeling after their recent lost to Illinois, Nevada took the field against Auburn and was treated to a classic beat-down. Auburn signal-caller Cameron Newton completed 15/24 passes for 385 yards, 5TD and 1INT. Although the Nevada defense was able to hold Auburn to 3.2 ypc, Newton and his receivers were too much to handle.

Second year coach Huyen Nguyen made a puzzling decision to start a true freshman for the second consecutive week, this time a different individual. While QB Cody Fajardo showed the speed and acceleration to get around the corners, he struggled to find his accuracy. Fajardo finished 13/53 passing, throwing 2 TDs vs 4 INT's. The receivers did not help their shell-shocked QB, dropping a whopping 11 passes on the day.

Although the season is still early, the Wolf Pack have to decide on a QB soon and stick with him. Conference play has yet to start, so if Nevada wants to defend their crown, they have to play better.

[YOUTUBE]IhlcrRRMHlo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]G2J-qRBNEXo[/YOUTUBE]​

24. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Wisconsin 34 - NIU 21

ignore. posted in wrong thread.

25. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

The Marshall Thundering Herd traveled to Miami to take on the Hurricanes trying to right the ship after a tough opening loss vs Virginia Tech. It did not turn out to be Marshall's day as Miami jumped on top 7-0 just 2 and a half minutes in on a 15 yard touchdown pass from Jacory Harris. Marshall stiffened up the defense over the rest of the first half, only yielding a 26 yard field goal. Marshall scored a late first half touchdown on an 8 yard strike from Willie Korn making the score 10-7 at the half.

The second half started out on a different note when Marshall took a 4 point lead on a third quarter touchdown run by Martin Ward. The Marshall defense held up through the third, taking a 14-10 lead into the final quarter. The Hurricanes owned the fourth quarter led by a pair of touchdown runs by Lamar Miller and a defense that yielded no scoring opportunities to the Herd in the final quarter, closing out a 24-14 win.

The game was dominated by the Miami defense which allowed only 11 yards on 19 Marshall totes and only 174 yards through the air. Marshall was unable to move the ball effectively or convert first downs when they needed it most, going 1 for 8 on third downs and 0 for 2 on fourth down conversions for the game. Miami ran the ball 33 times for 217 yards against a Marshall front 7 that was clearly overmatched from the time the stepped off the bus.

On the day Willie Korn finished 10 for 25 for 134 yards and a touchdown but was also picked off once. Martin Ward carried 13 times for 26 yards and a touchdown. Lamar Miller led the way for Miami with 15 carries for 167 yards and 2 scores.

Marshall will hope to open conference play with a strong showing at home next week againt UAB.