Season 2 - Week 5 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Season 2 - Week 5 Game Summaries

Now where back on schedule. Good luck all.

2. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

FIU (24) @ Arkansas St. (7)

The Golden Panthers opened Sun Belt Conference play traveling to ASU, to take on the defending conference champions. The Golden Panthers, missing their top wide receiver Ty Hilton who is out 10 weeks after suffering an injury against Louisville, finally put together a full game offensively and defensively and upset the defending Sun Belt Champions. We caught up with Coach Stewart, after the game.

"Well in all honesty this game looked a lot like the game last year in Miami, except this year the breaks went our way. We were able to create some key turnovers at the right time, and they had some mistakes that put us in good positons, and we were able to take advantages of those mistakes. You could tell they were a well coached team, that didn't give up. I'm proud of our offense, and defense, both sides of the ball played well today. I think in large part it was due to our tough out of conference schedule, I think that prepared us well for this game. We realize that this is the first game of our conference schedule, and we have one goal and that's to win the conference title, this game today put us one game closer to that goal."

FIU/ASU
    Score 24/7
    First Downs 14/8
    Total Offense 290/154
    Rushes 114 yards on 26 attempts/(-3) yards on 14 attempts
    Passing 15-21 for 176 yards and 2 tds/10 of 29 for 157 yards and 1 TD
    3rd Down Conversion 14%/30%
    Turnovers 3/5
    Fumbles 2/1
    INT 1/4
    TOP 16:55/11:05

3. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

whoa that is one turnover-prone game! nice win tho(y)

4. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

UNLV's Near Heart Attack

Wyoming 26 UNLV 27

Week 5 was a trap game for the Rebels. After coming off a big win against conference rival, and top contender for the MWC crown, San Diego State, UNLV hosted a pesky Wyoming squad. The Rebels knew about the dynamic young QB Carta Samuels, but they were in no way prepared for the uptempo spread attack that they saw.

The Cowboys started the game off with an impressive drive ending with a TD run. After stopping the Wing-T attack of the Rebels on 3 plays, the Cowboys tacked on 7 more points, on a TD strike to Ogbonna from back-up QB Emory Miller Jr. Coach distrktFIVE said it was one of the most well thrown passes he has ever seen, much less coming from a guy who just came into the game for the injured starter. On UNLV's next drive, Senior QB (and MWC leader in total yards) Mike Clausen was dealt a blow that didn't appear to be anything significant...until Clausen couldn't get up. After the trainers rushed onto the field, Clausen was quickly carried out of the stadium on a stretcher. Within a few moments, the trainers found out he had broken a vertebrae in his back and would be done for the year (and ostensibly his career). The drive would stall out after a confused and shocked UNLV squad couldn't make much happen with their back-up QB.

Wyoming would open the 2nd quarter with a FG, making the score 17-0. Just as all hope seemed to be lost, lightning struck. Senior WR Phillip Payne returned a kick off 96 yards for a TD, to put the Rebels down 10. The UNLV D seemed to be getting torched again until they made a stand around the 35 yard line, forcing Wyoming to attempt a 54 yard FG...which they made. Both team's offenses stalled on their next drives but UNLV got the ball with under a minute til half time and made the most of it, driving the field and punching in a TD run with 4 seconds left.

The 3rd quarter was a major defensive struggle. The only points put on the board were a UNLV TD run, by Freshman A-Back Ben Herman which put the Rebels up 1 point. The 4th quarter was almost all defense as well with both teams being shut out until Wyoming put up 7 more points on a Kankolongo TD scamper with under 3 minutes left to play. UNLV would quickly go three and out and decided to punt with 2 minutes left on the clock, instead of going for it.

Wyoming only needed 2 first downs to run the clock out. They got a first down on their 3rd play but were shut down on their next 2 runs. With the clock running, Wyoming decided to risk it and throw a pass, which may have cost them the game as it fell to the turf incomplete, stopping the clock. After a punt, UNLV had a littler under 1 minute to drive 70 yards. Sticking to their guns, UNLV game out running and rattled off a big run to put them inside the opponents red zone with 15 seconds to play. Coach distrktFIVE decided to put the game in the hands of his Sophomore QB Taylor Barnhill and it paid off as he hit B-Back, Imari Thompson for a game winning TD with 11 seconds left.

Coach distrktFIVE's thoughts on the game:

Wyoming
    QB Austyn Carta Samuels: 13-25 for 183
    QB Emory Miller Jr: 1-3 for 15 yards + 1 TD
    HB Alvester Alexander: 22 carries for 92 yards + 1 TD
    HB Nehemie Kankolongo: 5 carries for 43 yards + 1 TD

UNLV
    QB Marcus Sullivan: 1-5 for 32 yards
    QB Taylor Barnhill: 1-3 for 15 yards + 1 TD
    A-Back CJ Cox: 8 carries for 29 yards + 1 TD
    A-Back Ben Herman: 4 carries for 21 yards + 1 TD

Stat of the Game:
    UNLV was held to 109 rushing yards and 3.21 yards/carry.

5. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

sorry to hear Clausen is done for you...he was having a pretty good year rushing the ball!

how is herman doing for you this season? I remember recruiting him until he decided to choose unlv over nevada(y)

6. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

Herman is good. He has horrible acceleration but can go once he gets started. He was actually "better" at CB but figured I could use him better at HB. I like recruiting athletes just to pick where to put them.

7. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

It was a big turnover game for me. Last year FIU was in my spot and i capitalized but this year the tables turned. Well played game FIU and ill see ya next year (y)

8. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Aztecs Escape BYU With a Last Second Win

San Diego State 31 vs. BYU 28

The San Diego State Aztecs scored with :13 seconds to put the Aztecs ahead by 3 points and send them back home with a 4-1 record on the season. "We started the game off rough, it was hard for the guys to get motivated after our big loss last week."

BYU started the game off with a 14-0 lead and it looked like they were going to take that lead into halftime. San Diego State was driving down the field and Redshirt Freshman HB Adam Muema was carrying the ball into the endzone and he fumbled. Quarterback Ryan Lindley picked up the fumble and carried it 6 yards for the score. The score at halftime was BYU 14 San Diego State 7.

San Diego St opened the second half with all cylinders firing and scored when Ryan Lindley threw a 25 yard touchdown pass to TE Bryce Quigley. The tie wasn't held for long, BYU HB JJ Di Luigi broke 3 tackles and ran the ball 77 yards for the TD and put BYU up by 7. The Aztecs then spent the next 4 minutes pushing the ball down the field and scored a TD with :25 left on the clock on a 2 yard TD pass from Lindley to WR David Lamar. We ended the third quarter in a 21-21 deadlock.

BYU didn't take much time to score, on their opening set of downs in the 4th, 3rd and 11, Stephen Covey caught an 81 yard touchdown pass putting the Cougars up by 7. San Diego State drove into BYU territory on their next drive but was stopped on 4th and 1 at the 31 yard line. Coach E had a decision to make. "I looked at our D and said 'Can you make a stop?' the guys were fired up so I took a risk and sent out Brian to kick the fieldgoal." Brian Stahovich kicked the 48 yard field goal off and over the crossbar to cut BYU's lead to 4. On BYU's ensuing drive, the Cougars rolled into San Diego State territory, but the Aztec D stepped it up and stopped the Cougars. BYU punted and San Diego State had the ball on their own 20 with just less than 2:00 to play.

The Aztecs got into their two minute drill and QB Ryan Lindley lead the charge. They pounded the ball into BYU territory but were stopped at the 35 and faced a 4th and 1. Lindley dropped back to pass, with no receivers open he rolled out to the right, avoiding a defender and carrying the ball for 12 yards and a first down. On the next set of downs, TE Tony Johnson, who was put in to replace injured Bryce Quigley, caught a 10 yard touchdown pass with :13 left on the clock, San Diego State had escaped with the victory.

"I couldn't believe it," Said Coach E "Tony is a true Freshman and he stepped up when it mattered most. I couldn't be more proud of him and the team in general."

This game was definitely an Instant Classic. The Aztecs will be at home next week against Washington State and will be looking to go 5-1 on the season.​

9. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Big Comeback Win For The Huskies

NIU 31
    Buffalo 28

The Northern Illinois Huskies won their home opener 31-28 in a sloppy MAC Conference game against Buffalo. The Buffalo Bulls scored two easy touchdowns as QB Jerry Davis ran the no-huddle spread offense to perfection in the 1st quarter. However, Buffalo kicker Zach Johnson missed the extra point to put the score 13-0. Johnson would go on to miss 3 of 4 PATs on the day.

The Huskies responded with an impressive drive of their own. And Buffalo closed out the first half with a 23 yard FG to make it 16-7 at the half.

The Bulls opened the second half with another efficient no-huddle drive and were about to put the game out of reach when NIU LB Pat Schiller strung out an option play and jumped Davis's pitch, amazingly grabbed the ball and ran 45 yards to pay dirt to close the deficit to 16-14.

"Hot dang that Schiller boy can play ball! I wish I had ten more krauts just like him," Coach Jerry Bumpers said after the game. "He ain't the fastest or the strongest player out there. Heck, I don't think the boy can barely read the Dr Seuss chronicles, but I'm here to tell you, that mean ole sumbitch was born to play football." Schiller finished the game with 8 tackles, a sack and his fumble return for a touchdown changed the tenor of the game.

The game was tied at 28 with 30 seconds left to play. NIU had the ball 4th and 2 on the Buffalo 22 yard line. Coach Bumpers was left with a decision after his team had already failed to convert a 4th and 2 late in the first half.

"I normally don't like to put the fate of the ball game in the hands of a kicker. I find place kickers to generally be unreliable, squirrelly little critters. But our half-back Jasmine Hopkins isn't exactly John Riggins out there and the Rhinoceros had a conundrum on his hands. Do I pry the little fella away from his fashion magazine and let him try to kick a long one? Or do I ask Princess Jasmine to try to fall forward with the football for once in his charmed life? Well, I closed my eyes, held my breath, and signaled for the kicker. And I'll be doggone if the little guy didn't come through in the clutch. Next month's Cosmo is on me, little Kicker!"

Fillingham's 39 yarder put the Huskies on top 31-28. But the Bulls responded and drove to the Huskie 35 yard-line before finally running out of time. A desperation hail mary landed incomplete in the end zone.

Once again the Huskie defense was completely overmatched. Buffalo QB Jerry Davis was 34 of 46 for 414 yards and 3 TDs. Buffalo had an amazing 37 first downs.

"Our defense is bad. And not bad as in good. Bad as in god-awful stinky. But rest assured Huskie fans, our defense will turn it around next week or my name isn't Jerry 'The Rhinoceros' Bumpers."

Players of the game:
    Buffalo - QB Jerry Davis 34 of 46, 414 yards 3 TDs, 0 INTs.
    NIU: LB Pat Schiller 8 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FR, 1 TD
    QB Chandler Harnish 12 of 24, 227 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

The Huskies play host to FCS Something-Or-Other next week.

10. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nevada Rolls over New Mexico State

Nevada won consecutive games for the first time all season with a dominant win against struggling New Mexico State. NMSU had 16 rushes for negative yarrds while being held to only 209 yards passing through the air. "Our defense is finally starting to click," said defensive captain Brandon Marshall. "We have a long ways to go, but the improvement is there every week."

Freshman QB Cody Fajardo finally rewarded his coach with a breakout game. Fajardo completed 17/27 passes for 259 yards and 4TD's. "Cody has the talent. He just needs to calm down and let the game come to him," said Coach Nguyen. "He takes off running too many times when he should be standing in the pocket instead. He was fantastic today."

Lampford Mark ran for 98 yards while his backup Stefphon Jefferson added 108 yards in mop-up duty. Nevada would jump to a quick 21-0 lead before NMSU would respond with a TD of their own. However, the Wolf Pack were too strong on both sides of the ball and finished the game with a 46-8 victory.

Next up for the Wolf Pack would be the Utah State Aggies. As the defending co-conference champions, Nevada has to stay focus if they have any dreams of repeating this season.

[YOUTUBE]jEAqDfHb0oE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jrdZzI2_Ng0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oEGVB-igDio[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xLyGi6_Xzcg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8GZBjCYuBTM[/YOUTUBE]​

11. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

UTEP 31 - UCF 24

Miner's win it through the air

UTEP last year it was run, run, run. This year its pass, pass, pass. With their star tailback and a strong offensive line all graduating last year, the Miner's have had to rely on other options to propel a sputtering offense. UTEP used multiple looks on offense to steal a 31- 24 win over C-USA opponent UCF. There were screen passes, draw plays, counters, options play, and a ton of passing. " Last year we were pretty one dimensial but this year we're looking to get defenses guessing and hit them from all directions. Javia Hall is quite an athlete and when the ball is in his hand good things seem to happy, so well keep the ball in his hands."

Player of the Game: Donovan Kemp- 3 catches for 141 + 2 TDs + Long 78 yards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Week 5

Marshall 28
    Rice 0

Rice came into this game knowing that in order to win, they needed to stop or slow down seniors Willie Korn and Martin Ward. They did a nice job but fell short as both Marshall playmakers had solid performances.

The scoring started early for Marshall on a 4 yard touchdown run by Martin Ward, giving Marshall an early 7 point advantage. Then, a 52 yard strike from Korn to Antavious Wilson made it 14-0 Marshall at the end of one. A second quarter 1 yard touchdown run by fullback Jordan Taylor gave Marshall a 21-0 halftime lead.

The scoring was capped in the third quarter on another touchdown run by Ward, this one from 5 yards out, giving Marshall a 28-0 win.

Willie Korn finished 7-13 for 176 yards and a touchdown. The rushing load was carried by Martin Ward, who finished with 92 yards on 21 carries and 2 touchdowns. Andre Booker chipped in with another 60 yards on the ground on 14 carries. The defense pitched its first shutout of the year, not allowing Rice to get anything started on offense.

The win moves Marshall to 3-2 overall and 3-0 in Conference USA play. They will travel to Tulsa next week to take on the Golden Hurricane.