Season 2 - Week 6 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Feb 13, 2010
    Season 2 - Week 6 Game Summaries

Good luck
  2. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Feb 13, 2010
    Red Wolves Snap Streak

Red Wolves Snap Losing Streak
    Coming into Saturday the Red Wolves had lost their last 4 games by double digit margins. With moral at an all time low for the Red Wolves under coach sabo something had to be done. Coach Sabo held a long closed door meeting after last Saturdays loss to FIU and when the players came out you could see a new look in their eyes.

Coach Sabo led the Red Wolves into a hostile ULM crowd to take on the War Hawks and something amazing happened......The Red Wolves for the first time since their New Orleans Bowl victory in 2010 looked like a team on a mission. The Red Wolves started slow with a touchdown from Frankie Jackson and there was no looking back. The receivers were catching the ball and the defense was shutting down the opponents. After the smoke cleared it appeared as if the Red Wolves had finally arrived into the 2011 season with a 42-17 victory.

We tried to catch up with Coach Sabo after the game but he simply said "from this point on our gameplay on the field will speak for itself".

The Red Wolves improve to 2-4 (1-1)

3. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Jul 24, 2010
    Aztecs Silenced at Home

San Diego State 23 vs. Washington State 31

In a game that was never really close, the San Diego State Aztecs faltered at home to drop their record to 4-2 on the season. Coach E, normally an enthusiastic guy declined to comment on most of the game. "We started Walter who had rested him hamstring for a week, but it was evident he wasnt himself so I decided to rest him another week. It wasn't worth risking it." Normally a rush-heavy offense, neither backup HB could find a groove.

The Aztecs struggled, to put it lightly. The offense could never find a gear until it was too late. Trailing 31-7 early in the 4th quarter, the Aztecs scored twice and converted both 2 point conversions in the 4th, but failed an onside kick with a little over a minute left to seal their fate.

San Diego State QB Ryan Lindley had an off day, completing 13 of 33 passes for 206 yards and 2 INT.

POTG: Washington State QB Jeff Tuel 20-29 for 347 yards, 2TD

The Aztecs will need to bring their A game next week as they play #16 conference foe Utah. Look for HB Walter Kazee to make a return to the playing field.
  4. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Aug 20, 2010
    Three in a Row

NIU 49
    FCS NW 28

The offense continued to carry the Huskie team as NIU extended their winning streak to three games.

QB Chandler Harnish had 3 TDs and the Huskie running game finally showed some signs of life with back-up RB Antoine Kirkland rushing for 3 TDs and 96 yards on just 11 carries. Asked if starting RB Jasmine Hopkins' starting job was in jeopardy, Coach Jerry Bumpers replied, "Princess Jasmine is still the starter, but I really liked what I saw out of Antoine today. Expect more of a 50-50 split from here on out."

Slot WR Perez Ashford was injured after making a tackle on a Harnish interception. Ashford will miss at least 10 weeks. But a bright spot was his replacement, redshirt sophomore Anthony Johnson, who had two receptions for two TDs and returned a kickoff 92 yards for a TD.

"The good Lord works in mysterious ways. Maybe he decided to ding up Perez for me, because I was too thickheaded to give Johnson the playing time he deserves. Heck, I sure do wish he'd squirt some lightning bolts up the backsides of our defense, I tell you what."

The Huskie defense again was overmatched, this time against a division I-AA school.

Players of the game:
    NIU - WR Anthony Johnson 2 catches 38 yards, 2TDs. 92 yard kickoff return for TD
    QB Chandler Harnish 11 for 19, 250 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

The Huskies host Eastern Michigan next week.
  5. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Jul 19, 2010
    UTEP 30 - ECU 52

Yes, that bad.

ECU made all the right plays. UTEP made no plays. UTEP once again could not get the running game going and once again got beat up by a fast pace offense. ECU was all over the Miner's offense causing fumbles, interceptions, scoring on defense, creating sacks, blowing up the run game, mirroring receivers like they knew the play; they did it all. "It's amazing, we're a team that beat Penn State, then lose to winless ECU by 22, bizzar to say the least. We need to get our shit together and win some games."

6. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

Jul 23, 2010
    FIU (56) @ WKU (47)

In a game that saw little defense being played, FIU moved to 2-0 in conference play in a comeback victory defeating the Hilltopers of Western Kentucky 56 to 47, after trailing 31-21 at the half. FIU came out and outscored the Hilltopers 21 to 3 in the third quarter in large part to keep defensive stops and interceptions. We caught up with Coach Stewart after the game.

"Well it sure wasn't pretty, but at the end of the day a "W" is a "W" and they all count the same in the standings. I'm proud of my team, we could have went into the locker room at halftime and barried our heads, and started thinking about the flight back to Miami, instead we had some leaders step up and get us fired up, and I think you can see by the results that the team took what they said to heart and we responded in the second half. Then you look in the fourth quarter they get the game back to a two point game, and we respond again with a nice run for a TD. Our running game has really stepped it up lately and I'm excited about that, because in the first half of the season our passing game really matured, as you can see by the score we're capable of putting up a lot of points, I'd like to see our defense step up to the challange and maybe not give up so many points"

Score 56/47
    First Downs 15/17
    Total Offesnse 394/529
    Rushing 25 attempts for 131 yards and 2 TDs/21 attemepts for 148 yards and 3 TDs
    Passing 15 of 26 for 263 and 4 TDs/ 25 of 40 for 381 and 2 TDs
    3rd Down 14%/62%
    Turnovers 3/5
    Fumbles 2/2
    INT 1/3
    TOP 14:03/13:57
  7. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

Jul 10, 2010
    I got murderballed by Virginia. I will update with story tonight.
  8. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Oct 8, 2009
    Lobos 13 BYU Cougars 31

New Mexico would drop its first game of the season in Provo, UT against BYU. The Lobos offense was held in check all day, and could not get established. The Lobo defense would have difficulty in the first half, as BYU would score 24, but would bounce back well only allowing 7pts in the second half. Lobos would look to begin another win streak when the Wyoming Cowboys come to Albuquerque.

Lobos Game Stats
    T. Austin 13-29 206yds 1td, 9car 17yds
    D. Dennis 7car 10yds
    Q. Solomon 4rec 75yds 1td
  9. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Jul 23, 2010
    Nevada Makes It Three in a Row, Defeats Utah State 28-13

Nevada wins for the third time in as many weeks, taking down a pesky Utah State team. After jumping to a quick 14-0 lead in the 4th quarter, it would seem that Nevada would be on their way to a blowout. However, the Aggies would bunker down and hold Nevada scoreless for the rest of the half. Despite doing so, Utah State could not solve the Nevada defense, as the Wolf Pack blanketed all of the receivers every play it seems like. "We were just trying to make it tough for them," Brandon Marshall said. "I think we accomplished that."

The third quarter was another defensive battle, but Utah State finally broke through on a 1yard TD run, cutting the deficit to 7-14. Amazingly, the Nevada offense decided to wake up as well, as they moved down the field in 60 seconds and scored on a Lampford Mark TD run. Up 21-7, Nevada would put the game out of reach midway through the 4th quarter on a pick-six by Zach Madonick. Utah State would tack on a TD with time running out to make the game 28-13, Nevada.

Good game as always, bdub!
  10. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

Jul 24, 2010
    Johnson injured while Beaver was pounded

[​IMG] Tulsa 52

[​IMG] Rice 53

Headcoach jvrazorbacks first game back was one to forget. The defensive coach watched in disgust as his defense was lit up by the 0-6 Rice Owls offense for 53 points. The Owls took only one min off the clock before they scored on their first drive. The kick off was fumbled by Tulsa KR D.Johnson and recovered by F.jackson for the rice touchdown. The owls would go on to a 21-3 lead in the first qtr before Tulsa would put up their first td of the day. The first qtr ended 21-10. and thats when Tulsa finnaly got things going, Behind the pulsating electricity of Tulsa Qb Beaver. Beaver sliped and slided on his way to the endzone for 72 yrds.. Tulsas Sr Wr Johnson went down with a injury late in the 2nd qtr that would keep him out for the rest of the game. The second half both teams exchanged tds and Tulsa recoverd from back to back drives with lost fumbles. The 3rd qtr ended in a tie 38-38. Thats when Beaver was abused on a qb option in his own endzone to give the Rice Owls a saftey and the ball. They would drive down the field and have too settle for a fieldgoal. Tulsa put a nice drive together late in the 4th qtr that was capped by a 26yrd td pass from Beaver to Johnson that would give the Golden Hurricanes a late 2 point lead. On the ensuing drive Rice marched down the field and kicked the game winning fieldgoal. After the game coach jvrazorback was asked about his first game and he only had this to say. "With names like Beaver,johnson and our team being the Golden Showers... uh i mean the golden hurricanes im beginning to think i may have to start going back to therapy sessions."

Rice vs Tulsa
    1st Downs 36 26
    3rd down efficiency 61.54 66.67
    4th down efficiency 0 0
    Total Yards 744 884
    Passing 490 380
    Completion Attempts 33 - 47 17 - 25
    Yards Per Pass 10.43 15.2
    Rushing Attempts 21 32
    Yards Per Rush 2.19 6.31
    Turnovers 1 4
    Fumbles Lost 0 3
    Interceptions Thrown 1 1
    Possession 13:00 15:00

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

Jul 26, 2010
    NIce game nrg_qbz and I have to say that one handed pick by your lineman was pretty nice.
  12. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Aug 30, 2010
    Week 6

Marshall 31
    Tulsa 14

Marshall traveled to Tulsa this week trying to keep a modest winning streak alive and remain unbeaten in conference play heading into their in state rivalry game against West Virgina next week.

Marshall was looking to do just that when, early in the first, Willie Korn hit Antavious Wilson for and 82 yard touchdown strike to put Marshall up 7-0. The second quarter started off with Tulsa quarterback Shavodrick Beaver hitting tightend Clay Sears for an 11 yard touchdown, evening the score at 7. Marshall would answer quickly on a 14 yard pass from Korn to Aaron Dobson. Up by a touchdown, the Marshall defense got into the mix when defensive end John Youboty intercepted a deflected pass and returned it 33 yards for a Marshall score. A 40 yard field goal by Tyler Warner gave Marshall a 24-7 halftime lead.

Tulsa wasn't giving in that easy. In the third quarter they brought the game back to within reach when Beaver hit Jordan James on a 25 yard pass. Marshall would slam the door for good in the fourth quarter on a 59 yard touchdown run by Andre Booker, making the final score 31-14.

Willie Korn finished 5 for 15 for 160 yards and 2 touchdowns. Martin Ward had 54 yards on 14 carries and Booker finished with 104 yards and a touchdown on 12 totes. Antavious Wilson had 2 catches for 113 yards and a touchdown.

The win moves Marshall to 4-2 overall and 3-0 in conference play. They head into hostile Morgantown next week to take on rival West Virginia.