Season 2 - Week 7 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Season 2 - Week 7 Game Summaries

Welcome to week 7

North Texas @ Arkansas State
    Marshall @ West Virginia
    Tulsa @ Rice
    UTEP @ Tulane
    EMU @ NIU
    West Mich @ Ohio
    Wyoming @ New Mexico
    Utah @ SDSU
    Air Force @ UNLV
    Troy @ FIU
    Nevada @ Boise State
    Utah State @ UAB

2. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

Troy (41) @ FIU (45)

In an ESPN Instant Classic, the FIU Golden Panthers came back in the final minute of the game, to shock the Trojans, of Troy. Troy up 3 with less than a minute to go in the game and driving deep in FIU territory decided to put the ball in the air, instead of run out more of the clock, and FIU got pressure on the Troy quarterback, and he threw an illadvised pass that was intercepted, by who else, junior FS and the team captain, Jonathan Cyrpien. The Golden Panthers drove down the field to get the game winning score and move to 2 and 0 in Sunbelt Conference play. We caught up with Coach Stewart after the game.

"Well it seems like the same old story, we get another conference win, but it wasn't pretty by any stretch of the imagination. Both defenses were beat time and time again, and the other offesne would come out on to the field and respond when they needed to. I'm excited that our defense stepped up again when we needed them to, and they really won the game for us, without that play by our star FS, we might not have got the ball back with a chance to win."

Troy/FIU
    Score 41/45
    Total Offense 570/723
    Rushing 27 attempts for 149 yards and 3 TDs/15 attempts for 25 yards
    Passing 22 of 35 for 421 yards and 2 TDs/ 37 of 60 for 698 yards and 6 TDs
    3rd Down 30%/60%
    Turnovers 1/3
    Fumbles 0/3
    INT 1/0
    TOP 12:39/15:31

Offensive highlights (I know my passing yards look huge, but in large part it was due to several big plays that put them out of wack and the fact I was trailing most of the game and forced to pass, as obviously my rushing game wasn't working. see highlights uploaded to EAsportsworld).

3. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

San Diego Upsets #13 Utah At Home By 1 Point In A Thriller

San Diego State 34 vs. #13 Utah 33

"I can't believe it," said Coach E, "I honestly have no words to describe what I just saw, I'm on cloud 9 right now, give me a minute."

These words, coming from Coach E just minutes after his Aztecs defeated the #13 Utes of Utah by a score of 34-33. "Everyone thought we were down and out," said Coach E. The Aztecs trailed by 12 with only 1:49 left to play in the game, but the defense stood their ground and propelled the Aztecs to victory.

With Walter Kazee unable to go for the 3rd straight week, Coach E decided to rely heavily on Redshirt HB Adam Muema. I knew Adam could get the job done and that's all there is to it.

First Quarter:
    Utah drove the ball down the field earlier, but were stopped in the Aztec redzone and only left with a field goal. On the ensuing drive, San Diego State drove the ball fluidly with a drive that ended with a 16 yard TD pass from Ryan Lindley to tight end Bryce Quigley. End of the first quarter. SDSU 7 vs. Utah 3

Second Quarter:
    Utah opened the second quarter with a 3rd and 10 pass to WR DeVonte Christopher for a 47 yard TD. The teams went back and forth with unsuccessful drives until Utah drove and scored a 2yd touchdown on a run by QB Jordan Wynn with 1:36 to go in the half. However San Diego State responded and HB Adam Muema scored on a 35 yard rush to finish the half. Utah up by 3 at the half.SDSU 14 vs. Utah 17

Third Quarter:
    Utah State kicked a FG mid way through the third, but SDSU responded with a 1 yd TD rush by QB Ryan Lindley. After 3, the score was SDSU 21 vs. Utah 20

Fourth Quarter:
    On the first drive of the fourth quarter, Utah scored on a 9 yard TD pass, putting Utah up by 5. The next drive was a long one, San Diego State took it into the Utah redzone but were stopped at the 1 yard line on 3rd down. Coach E decided to go for it, but Adam Muema was stopped. On the very next play, Utah HB Princeton Collins broke two tackled and took the ball 95 yards for the score. Utah was up 12 with 1:49 to play. :28 later, QB Ryan Lindley dropped back for the pass and hit TE Bryce Quigley for an 82 yard TD, the Aztecs were down 5 with 1:21 to play. San Diego State failed to recover the onside kick. Utah looked as if they would end the game on a 3rd and 1, but the Aztec defense penetrated the line and stopped the Utes. With :43 left, Utah missed a 50 yard field goal, giving the Aztecs one drive, with no timeouts to win the game. On the second play of the drive, Ryan Lindley hit WR David Lamar in stride for a 67 yard TD pass. The Aztecs did fail the 2 point conversion, leaving them up 1 point and Utah :33 to win the game with a field goal. On 2nd down Utah QB Jordan Wynn hit the TE over the middle who was running upfield into field goal range when he was hit by Aztec linebacker Mike Burris who forced and recovered the fumble. Aztecs win. SDSU 34 vs. Utah 33

SDSU Players of the Game:
    Ryan Lindley 15 of 23 for 375 yards and 3TD, 5 rushes for -3 yards and 1TD
    Adam Muema 18 rushes for 145 yards and 1 TD
    Bryce Quigley 7 catches for 209 yards and 2 TD

Utah Players of the Game:
    Jordan Wynn 19 of 30 for 317 yards and 2TD
    Princeton Collins 2 rushes for 125 yards and 1TD

The Aztecs take on much improved conference foe New Mexico next week. And hope to have All-American hopeful Walter Kazee back in the starting lineup.

4. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

[​IMG] Tulsa 52

[​IMG] Rice 53

Headcoach jvrazorbacks first game back was one to forget. The defensive coach watched in disgust as his defense was lit up by the 0-6 Rice Owls offense for 53 points. The Owls took only one min off the clock before they scored on their first drive. The kick off was fumbled by Tulsa KR D.Johnson and recovered by F.jackson for the rice touchdown. The owls would go on to a 21-3 lead in the first qtr before Tulsa would put up their first td of the day. The first qtr ended 21-10. and thats when Tulsa finnaly got things going, Behind the pulsating electricity of Tulsa Qb Beaver. Beaver sliped and slided on his way to the endzone for 72 yrds.. Tulsas Sr Wr Johnson went down with a injury late in the 2nd qtr that would keep him out for the rest of the game. The second half both teams exchanged tds and Tulsa recoverd from back to back drives with lost fumbles. The 3rd qtr ended in a tie 38-38. Thats when Beaver was abused on a qb option in his own endzone to give the Rice Owls a saftey and the ball. They would drive down the field and have too settle for a fieldgoal. Tulsa put a nice drive together late in the 4th qtr that was capped by a 26yrd td pass from Beaver to Johnson that would give the Golden Hurricanes a late 2 point lead. On the ensuing drive Rice marched down the field and kicked the game winning fieldgoal. After the game coach jvrazorback was asked about his first game and he only had this to say. "With names like Beaver,johnson and our team being the Golden Showers... uh i mean the golden hurricanes im beginning to think i may have to start going back to therapy sessions."

Rice vs Tulsa
    1st Downs 36 26
    3rd down efficiency 61.54 66.67
    4th down efficiency 0 0
    Total Yards 744 884
    Passing 490 380
    Completion Attempts 33 - 47 17 - 25
    Yards Per Pass 10.43 15.2
    Rushing
    Rushing Attempts 21 32
    Yards Per Rush 2.19 6.31
    Turnovers 1 4
    Fumbles Lost 0 3
    Interceptions Thrown 1 1
    Possession 13:00 15:00

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

UNLV Fires on All Cylinders
    AF 7 UNLV 40

UNLV looked pretty good on offense for the first time since the loss of Senior QB Mike Clausen. "It's tough to come back from losing your trigger man," says Coach distrktFIVE. "It will be an adjustment for the rest of the year and also for next year. Hopefully someone will step up and take the job."

UNLV and Air Force traded rushing TDs early before UNLV separated themselves. UNLV went on to score 33 unanswered points, with 12 coming from the 2nd and 3rd string kids. Taylor Barnhill, UNLV's Sophomore QB, looked very sharp in this game with a combined 300+ yards and 4 TDs. Barnhill will need to remain sharp if he wants to remain the starter next fall.

The downside of the game is that the option attack of the Rebels suffered another key loss. A-Back Ben Herman will miss a good portion of the remainder of the schedule.

Key stat: This is the first game under Coach distrktFIVE's reign that UNLV threw for more yards than they ran for (12-16 for 253 yards + 3 TD). This may lead to a more balanced approach (and maybe a spread offense) next fall.

6. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

The Huskies stomp Eastern Michigan

NIU 42
    EMU 14

The Huskies were dominant in all aspects of the game as they handled the EMU Eagles at home for their fourth straight win and pushed their record to 3-0 in conference play.

"We played a complete game for the first time all season." Coach Jerry Bumpers said. "When we do that, we can take on any club out there. We can take all comers."

RB Antoine Kirkland followed up last week's breakthrough performance with another gem, 16 carries for 169 yards. QB Chandler Harnish threw four more TDs, and the defense which stifled Eastern Michigan for most of the game was highlighted by Jody Van Laanen's 61 yard interception return for a touchdown.

"Our boys are finally starting to find an identity. And when that happens, then you can start kicking butts. Right now we're an oiled-up, butt kicking machine that purrs like a butt kicking cat."

When asked if he was concerned that his Division I-A victories have come against opponents whose records are a combined 3-13 Coach Bumpers said, "We don't get to pick the butts we kick, but we'll kick whatever butt gets off the bus, I tell you what. Shoot, half the reason those clubs look so piss poor is on account of the sore heinies they got playing against us. Heck, if Wisconsin wants a rematch, you tell 'em we'll be in the parking lot behind the Dekalb Cracker Barrel this Saturday. We'll kick their heinies sore and send 'em back to Madison or my name isn't Jerry "the Rhinoceros" Bumpers."

The Huskies are idle this week, but we'll keep an eye on the Cracker Barrel parking lot in case the Badgers decide to take the Rhinoceros up on his offer of a rematch.

Players of the Game;
    NIU - QB Chandler Harnish, 10 of 23, 158 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT
    EMU - QB D. Payne 18 of 29 202 yards, 2 TD, 1INT

7. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Red Wolves Stop Rival North Texas
    On Saturday the Mean Green traveled to Jonesboro to take on their rivals the Red Wolves. ASU had several potential prospects visiting this big rivalry match up. Those recruits wouldnt be disappointed as the Red Wolves brought a balanced attack from the ground to the air to take out the Mean Green 35-23.
    The Red Wolves improve to 3-4 for the season and 2-1 in conference play. Coach Sabo had this to say after the game "We played a great game however our turnovers resulted in 13 points by the Mean Green. We still have alot of improvements to make on both sides of the ball. Our starting hb Jackson will be out for 1 week due to injury and we wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to his return in week 9.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

UTEP 30 - Tulane 42

UTEP loses agian; Loses another conference game

The Miner's dropped another game, their 4th straight. UTEP came into this season a very young and a very shallow team depth wise. After losing arguable their best player on offense and defense early in the season it looks like the Miner's have begun a downward spiral. In the first couple of games UTEP could do nothing on offense. Once the offense got going, their defense as fallen apart. Will they ever get it together?

9. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Do you keep a straight face while doing a write-up that involves a QB named Beaver being mentioned 10-12 times, JV?

10. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

11. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

lol nrg it was 5 times and i was cracking up the whole time. I thought it would have gotten more responses than it did.

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

Aggies Loose Again

In another embarrassment is a long line of embarrassing results the Utah State Aggies lost to UAB 34 to 3.

Coach B would not speak to the press after the game.

[​IMG]
    Week7 by utgamer27, on Flickr

13. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Lobos 29 Wyoming Cowboys 6

The Lobos looked to start a new winning streak after the wake up call received in Provo last week. New Mexico would become bowl eligible for the first time since 2007 with a 29-6 victory over Wymoing.The Lobos defense would lead the way shutting down the Cowboys passing attack all game. Lobo QB Tarean Austin shook of the bad game last week throwing for 192yds and 2tds. San Diego State comes to Albuquerque next week in a game that will decide who stays alive in the conference championship race.

Lobo Game Stats
    T. Austin 17-22 192yds 2tds 1int, 12car -10yds 1td
    D. Dennis 9car 16yds, 5rec 42yds 1td
    T. Kirk 3rec 35yds 1td

14. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nevada Falters Against Boise State, 17-35

For one half, Nevada gave top rank #5 Boise State all they could handle. After Boise State scored on their first possession of the game, Nevada would answer when QB Cody Fajardo rushed in for a two yard score. Amazingly enough, Nevada would even go up 10-7 with just a minute left before halftime. Up until then, the Broncos could not figure out the Nevada defense. However, Heisman hopeful Kellen Moore directed a beautiful drive to put the Bronco's up 14-10 at the half.

The second half was another defensive battle, as both teams either had to punt or lost the ball to turnovers. HB DJ Harper would put some distance between the two teams with a 7 yard TD. The final quarter saw Boise State tack on two more touchdowns off Nevada turnovers. The end score would be 17-35, Boise State.

"This game is maddening. Our defense played so well," said Coach Nguyen. "Our offense kept turning the ball on our half of the field and gave them great field position all day." Most baffling of all was an insane 8 drop passes from the Nevada wide receivers. "That is unacceptable. At least half of those drops were on 3rd down conversions," said WR LJ Washington. "Most of the time no one was around us. It is absolutely embarassing."

**On a serious note, 8 dropped passes just absolutely CRIPPLED ME. There were three instances where my guy beat the coverage and was all alone, and he turns around to put both hands on it...then bobbles the damn thing. Such huge momentum killers. GJ)%$R#U)(*%$U(*%$UOIJTIOP:%TJ$ I'm not even going to lie, I seriously thought I had a chance to win this freakin thing, but the dropped passes...aye.​

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

yeah dropped passes suck. I had 10 in my game again UAB.

16. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Week 7

Marshall 14
    West Virginia 39

Marshall came into Morgantown riding a 4 game winning streak and feeling pretty good about the way they have been playing. That would all come crashing down on the Herd early and often as they were simply outmanned by the Mountaineers.

Marshall got out to a 7 point lead early in the first on a 26 yard Andre Booker touchdown run. Daquan Hargrett answered with a 9 yard touchdown run of his own to even the score at 7 at the end of one. Two Tyler Bitancourt field goals (47 and 31 yards respectively) in the second gave West Virginia a 13-7 halftime lead. Marshall was able to keep West Virginia's speed in front of them for the majority of the first half and never really let the Mountaineer offense get off the big play.

The second half started out much the same as the first, with Marshall continuing to play a bend but don't break style of defense, but unable to mount any scoring drives of their own. A 57 yard Bitancourt field goal in the third was the only scoring for either team. The score heading into the fourth was West Virginia 16, Marshall 7. The fourth quarter opened up with a 47 yard Hargrett touchdown run. After a failed two point attempt the score was 22-7. Marshall's next drive came to an end after a Willie Korn pass was intercepted and returned 52 yards for a touchdown. Geno Smith hit Hargrett on West Virginia's next drive for a 16 yard touchdown pass. With the score now 36-7, Korn hit tightend Chris Head for a 27 yard touchdown to bring it to 36-14. Bitancourt then connected from 38 yards out for his fourth field goal, making the final 39-14.

Korn finished 14 for 40 for 340 yards and 1 touchdown, but threw 4 interceptions. Andre Booker carried 12 times for 39 yards and a touchdown. Antavious Wilson caught 5 passes for 117 yards. Daquan Hargrett led the Mountaineer attack with 158 yards on 27 carries and caught 3 passes for 39 yards. He had 3 total touchdowns.

The loss moves Marshall to 4-3 overall and 4-0 in the conference.

We caught up to a very humble coach Dannyboy0003 after the game....

"For 3 quarters we played championship caliber football. We had some mistakes on offense but our defense played tough. We didn't allow them to get the big play or keep drives going. Having said that, when you throw 6 interceptions and lose a fumble, you are going to lose a lot more than you'll win, especially against a team of West Virginia's caliber. We only converted on 2 of 13 third downs....that just won't get it done. I am very proud of the way the defense played tonight. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Our offense has got a lot of work to do. We have got to take better care of the football, and you know, that really starts up front. When we run the ball successfully, we put Willie in manageable second and third downs. When we're facing third and eight or tens all night it gets tough. Gotta take off my hat to West Virginia tonight, they were the better football team and they showed why out there."

17. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Great start so far for the Lobo's. Impressive!

18. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

I agree and its the same with dropped interceptions. We need a new slider set that is for sure. These are garbage.