Season 2014 Preview....

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Mar 23, 2009.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Season 2014 Preview....

With tonight's offseason upon us season 2014 will be here by tomorrow and the first time ever we will have all conference champs play in the regular season.

This should make for an interesting season. Illinois goes for one for the thumb, as Iowa and Wisconsin both take aim for to knock Illinois off in the Big Ten. Last year's Wisconsin game game down to the final seconds, and the game against Iowa was decided by the CPU, so both games should be very interesting.

For Illinois this is the year after Burke. Burke was the straw that stirred the drink for Illinois the last four years winning 4 Titles on his way to the all time Illinois leader in TD's. He was an amazing back who carried the Illinois ground attack, without him, Illinois will turn to two bruising but slow footed backs to carry the load, which can be a recipe for disaster.

On defense, Illinois is looking to continue the success of last season's defense and is looking very strong led by All-American Aaron Gray a MLB that has been all conference 3 times in 3 years. Throw in EJ Barnes at SS and Andre Mayes at DE, and you have three all american candidates at all three levels, reminiscent of Notre Dame's 1989 defense with Zorich, Stonebreaker, and Lyght.

On the recruiting front, Illinois needs Lineman. Lots and lots of Lineman. Illinois is looking to sign 4-5 offensive lineman and 2-3 Defensive lineman. Throw in 1 or 2 MLB, and should be the focus of Illinois recruiting this year.

Looking around the rest of the Tradition league and this year could be interesting to say the least, just a quick review of tradition teams and the following quick reviews lets everyone know what to expect this season:

Iowa - Matt Atkins the two time Thorpe award winner and a host of speedy wideouts lead an Iowa team that should contend for a Big Ten and National Title.

KSU - Losing Pendleton and Montgomery will hurt, but KSU will have back most of its defense as well as two 98 ovr speed WR's, they are still the favorite in the Big XII.

Kansas - Fresh off a 10 win season, Kansas led by All American Chad Sutton is ready to knock off JR.

Nebraska - After a disappointing season, Nebraska returns the best back in 2014, Joel Holmes who has to be considered a Heisman favorite.

Wisconsin - Led by Desi Miller and Heisman winner David Ball the grind it out offense people used to see from Wisky is no more. Wisconsin looks to avenge a close loss to Illinois.

Arizona - Still stinging from a Rose bowl loss, Zona hopes to continue its Pac-10 dominance

Oreg St - After narrowly missing the Pac-10 title, Oregon state is ready to make a big move in the Pac 10.

Cal - Has the most talent in the Pac 10 and though still haunted by a tough fumble against OSU, most expect Cal to compete for the Pac-10 Title again.

Mizzou - They return a QB who threw for 5000 yards last year. That is not a typo. After putting up 56 points on JR, I would expect Mizzou to be extremely tough to handle.

MSU/Washington - Both teams are still trying to improve the talent base and hope this is the year to break through against fellow TTII users.

Should be an interesting season.

2. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

nice writeup man......

3. JrRawlins

sidenote: Montgomery leaving could be a blessing in disguise... The Wildcats can finally open up their offense and let their ridculous receiving corps loose behind Sophomore stud David Harris.... expect a high amount of 3 and 4 wide sets with TE Nick Harper mixed in the offense often.... starting to think that Montgomery might have hindered us in the national title game even though he was the reason we got there.....lol

4. OMlawdog

I completely agree that Montgomery leaving is a blessing.

Also, "finally open up their offense" good lord. What can we expect? Harris going for Texas Tech's passing record?

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I thought the receiver from Wisconsin is David Bell. Not Ball. Could be mistaken, though.

6. OMlawdog

You are probably right. I should know his name after putting up around 300 yards and 4 tds against me.

7. JrRawlins

i dont have to get Montgomery his carries, which almost seemed like a chore at times... i can spread the ball around all my backs and spread the ball to my receivers alittle more...

8. OMlawdog

I wondered how you got Montgomery to come to KSU.

He must have known where the bodies are buried. That is why we recruit clean at Illinois so we aren't held hostage by players that demand playing time and carries or they will go to the NCAA.

Im glad that bad seed left for the pros.

9. JrRawlins

Its funny he was a 3 star guy who looked like he could be ok.... he sat behind Guidry during Guidry's Heisman campaign... ( when everyone ,myself included, thought Guidry would leave, he stayed..) so Monty should have had to sit one more season but Guidry got hurt after two games... and Monty busted onto the scene and ran for 1600 yards.... then this past season.. he broke Barry Sanders record for rushing yards... its good he left when he did... there wasnt much else i could accomplish with him...

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think that is what made Watkins so effective. He was capable of so much more than what you would think of as a speedy back. He would punish you in the middle as well.

Unforutately, this game doesn't make the distinction between backs like a Shonne Green and a scrub who has 88 spd. Meaning that speed is everything in this years game. I'm glad they are putting in the new momentum logic into next year's game. Hopefully that will allow for the return of the punishing runner.

11. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

It's a wonder how PJ Hill was so effective at his 88-89 spd.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    he weighed 280 lbs, lol.