Season 3 ACC Previews

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by I Peench, Aug 14, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Jul 1, 2010
    2014 UNC Tar Heels
    Coach Peench and the Heels are coming off the school's very first national championship. Though they lost a good bit of talent, they have enough to make some noise again, and try to win their third consecutive ACC title.
    Offensive scheme: Spread, Oregon base
    Defensive scheme: 4-2-5
    Offensive question mark: Biggest question mark happens to be at the most important position. QB Bernard Berg, a JUCO transfer last season, is taking over for Bryn Renner, who had a legendary run as the Heels signal caller. Though Berg is very athletic, there are some huge question marks about whether or not he'll be able to lead this offense on a consistent basis. Though I return 9 starters, the two starters lost are arguably the most important positions (QB and LT).
    Defensive question mark: Replacing my #2, #3, and #4 CB is a big concern. I brought in two very good freshmen and a JUCO that will start at #2, but still a weakness for this team.
    Circled game: DerekC and Va Tech, trying to avenge my only loss last season.
    Offense-returning starters 9
    QB-Again, Bernard Berg will get the day one start here, with Marquise Williams slotted as the backup. Berg is an exceptional athlete, but we'll see if he can run the offense effectively.​
    HB-Giovanni Bernard, Mr. Injury, decided to stay and get his degree. He's had two seasons riddled with injuries, and hasn't played more than 5 games in either. He is now at 99 overall and, along Michael Dyer, the best RB in the nation. If he goes down again, Romar Morris has shown he's more than capable of picking up the slack. As it stands, both will see considerable carries this season.​
    FB-Jack Tabb returns as a solid starter.​
    WR-Going into last season, I had lost all of my starters here. While concerned about how they would perform, they all stepped up and proved they are legitimate threats on the college level. TJ Thorpe leads the group, and is a dynamic playmaker that should continue to be a force. Sophomore Steve Dunlap is a very solid route runner, and is coming off a Freshmen All American campaign. Though not the fastest or biggest of WRs, Steve's fundamentals enable him to make plays. Beyond those two, there is a ton of depth. Tyrone Spurlock (soph), Sean Tapely (sr), Quinshad Davis (rs soph), and Tavares Pollard (soph) are all very capable.​
    TE-Last year I had my starter graduate and my backup transfer. I was able to bring in 4* recruit James Lee, who was serviceable his first year as a 72 overall starter. Though he progressed to a 76, I was fortunate enough to get the #1 TE in the country, Eddie Johnson, who will be a huge upgrade for me, particularly in the running game. Overall, a much improved unit from last year.​
    OL: While I lost All American LT James Hurst, 4 starters return to an improved line. If Sophomore Jermaine Hobbs can solidify that LT spot and protect Berg's blind side, the line play should be solid.​
    Defense-returning starters 5
    DL: I lost two very talented DEs in Kareem Martin and Tim Jackson. Jackson, who set the single season record in sacks, will be sorely missed. RS JR Tyler Alberts looks capable of stepping in for Martin, but other than him, UNC had no real players at the LE spot to pick up where Jackson left off. Thankfully, I signed the #2 DE in the country, Dennis Oliver, who looks like a manchild. His freakish athletic ability should enable him to rack up some of the sacks we'll miss from Jackson. Hard to say this unit won't be a lot worse, but overall I think the addition of Oliver won't make it a liability.​
    LB: Losing Darius Lipford will hurt a lot, as he was great in coverage and very athletic. All American Travis Hughes (Sr) returns at MLB, and should be a real force this year. Senior Norkeithus Otis and Sophomore Shakeel Rashad are battling for the second starting spot. Both seem capable enough, but Lipford's production will be missed.​
    CB: Terry Shankle and Jabari Price have graduated, while #1 CB Tim Scott returns for his senior season. Losing the #2 and #3 guys really hurts the Heels, as they had ZERO depth at CB. Fortunately, I brought in 2 77 overall freshmen, and also an 81 overall Jr JUCO transfer. This until will definitely be worse, but hopefully JUCO Todd Stevenson can hold up in coverage.​
    FS: 2x All American Tre Boston left for the NFL, passing the torch to talented Sophomore Ryan Powell. Powell has great size and speed, and will definitely blossom into a star. We will miss Boston a lot, but Powell is a solid starter for now.​
    SS: 2x All-American DJ Dunn has left for the NFL, but Jeff Schoemetter comes back with a ton of experience at SS as well. Sophomore Dominic Lawson will be crucial to the success of this defense, as he will assume the role of the second SS spot in the 4-2-5. Again, this unit as a whole will be worse, but hopefully can hold up well enough.​
    Expectations: With an incredible difficult schedule, a new QB, and a lot of new starters on defense, I certainly don't think I'll be in the running for another Natty this year. My goal is a third straight ACC title, but the road goes through Virginia Tech.​
    Recruiting needs: I need depth across the board, particularly on the offensive line and at linebacker. I also am in dire need of a kicker.​
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Dec 30, 2009
    2014 Florida State Seminoles
    Coach Erickson and his Seminoles are coming off a 10-3 campaign in which they won the Sugar Bowl and finished 3rd in the ACC. Despite losing some key offensive playmakers, this Florida State team is riding on very high expectations.

Offensive scheme: Multiple, Florida State base

Defensive scheme: 4-3

Offensive question mark: Can the Seminole respond on offense after losing their top 3 pass catchers early to the NFL draft?

Defensive question mark: Replacing two 3 starters in the defensive backfield, and replacing the National Linebacker of the Year. Can the kids step up?

Circled game: @I Peench - With the defending National Champs on the conference schedule this season, this is a big game for the Noles.

Offense-returning starters 7
    QB-Sophomore Jameis Winston will again be under center. After passing for 3,000 yards and 29 TDs, he will be the unquestioned leader of this offense. Can he avoid the sophomore slump? Clint Trickett, the wily Senior waits in the wings if anything goes wrong

HB-Devonta Freeman and James Wilder will again split carries. Freeman brings a lightning quick burst and Wilder will bruise between the tackles. two 1,000 yard rushers is not out of the question.

FB- Jamie Penn will again block

WR-Here is where we will have a lot of question marks. Last season as a freshman, Lance Young showed s lot of potential, however some key drops by him led to a loss against Maryland. Kelvin Benjamin is big, 6'6 and 235 pounds. Even though he is 2nd on the depth chart, expect him to be a HUGE threat. The rest of the guys are very young and very raw. If they cannot step up, it could be a long season, as defenses will crowd the box to stop the talented backs.

TE-Nick O'leary and his 10 TDs are gone, in steps Senior Will Tye. Known more for his blocking, he will have to become a presence in the throwing game.

OL: 4 three-year starters return and this unit should be one of the best in the country. As well, the past two recruiting classes have been brilliant on the offensive line.

DL: With 3 of four starters back, this unit should be amongst the best in America. Mario Edwards, Eddie Goldman, and Tim Jurrnigan should wear out opposing offensive lines.

LB: only 1 starter remains. Sophomore Thomas Mitchell will be the starter at Mike and he will be expected to step into the fire and make plays

CB: Keelin Smith is now entrenched as a starter and should be considered for All-ACC. On the other side Tyler Hunter and James Jones will battle for the #2 spot.

S: True Freshman Eric Fletcher will start along side Karlos Williams and both are expected to play at a high level

Expectations: With a VERY difficult schedule and sky high expectations, things could very well fall apart early. Traveling to Tuscaloosa and inviting the Washington Huskies to Florida will show what this young team is made of. In ACC play, both key matchups with I Peench 's Heels, and Bucs 's 'Canes are on the road. Nonetheless, this season anything less than 11 wins will be considered a huge let-down. After two huge bowl wins, yes, the Seminoles are back as a National player. The question is, can they maintain this momentum? Or will they wilt under the pressure as has been the case in the past.

Prediction: 11-2 and a BCS bowl birth.

Recruiting needs: WRs, WRs, WRs.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  4. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Jun 30, 2010
    2014 Miami Hurricanes
    Coach Bucs and the 2014 Miami Hurricanes are looking to rebound after an abysmal 8-5 season in which they were expected to finally get into the ACC championship. This year the team is alot younger and looking to prove themselves all over again.

Offensive scheme: Custom Pro Style, Stanford Base

Defensive scheme: Custom 3-4

Offensive question mark: Tight end, Miami has struggled to bring in a true TE in the past few years, also the right side of the offensive line, with two new starters there how will they perform.

Defensive question mark: Safeties, two new starters, two relatively young
    guys. They will need to make plays.

Circled game: All of them , we overlooked a few teams last year and they came and bit us in the ass, not happening again.

Offense-returning starters 6
    QB- Ryan Williams returns for his Senior Campaign, hes already proven to be among the elite QBs but has struggled to win the big games. This will be his year to prove the doubters wrong.

HB- Truly a stable of backs as the coaching staff has revealed that each back will have an equal number of packages and formations split among them. We have Ken Woodard the bruise, Randy Johnson the speedster and Dallas Crawford the balanced steady guy.

FB- 6'4 281 pound FB Sean Harvey returns here, hes bigger than a good portion of the linemen out there.

WR- The WR position has been one of strength the past few seasons, especially with two 1000 yard wideouts last season. 1 of them returns in Rashawn Scott, hes the leader, but now Phillip Dorsett and Malcolm Lewis are right behind him, they are more speedster type wideouts but both have solid hands and will contribute. Lewis and QB Ryan Williams have been making a real connection in spring ball and are roomates on campus.

TE- Clive "Drop the Ball" Walford will try to shed his nickname and become the safety valve for the offense.

OL: Only two returning starters but there is some talent there. At Tackle we have two monsters in 6'7 326 pound Malcolm Bunche , he is the SR and leader of the group. Opposite hime we have 6'8 323 pound Tyler Gadbois, he is a first time starter but was solid in spring. Inside we have two underclassmen in 6'3 351 pound Daniel Isidora and 6'5 283 pound Patrick Harris. At center we have the always steady Shane McDermott.

DL: Chickilo returns at the RE spot, he hasnt lived up to the hype . Kyle King is the LE he is a JuCO kid out of colorado looking to prove he belongs, appears to be hungry. Big Olsen Pierre is in the middle. At 6'4 373 pounds and 95 strength hes a monster. (Or ate one anyway)

LB: Perryman and Kirby will remain the heart of the defense in the middle, they have played side by side for 3 years now. Gionni Paul returns to the ROLB spot, he has proven he can play. Eddie Johnson takes over the LOLB spot , he is a sideline to sideline defender very good in pursuit.

CB: Thomas Finnie steps in as the man at Corner, he is excellent in coverage and consistently makes plays. Tracy Howard is right behind him and is nearly as good. Nate Dortch will be in the nickel this season.

S: True Freshman Chase Holmes won the SS job over hardworking Deon Bush whom the staff loves, so that should say alot. JR Maurice McNeal is the man at FS, for now.

Expectations: We're going to compete every week, but were not too sure where we will end up honestly. We've got our biggest games at home so that should help. 9-10 wins is the goal right now.

Recruiting needs: QB

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1