Season 3 - Bowl Week Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Congrats to all of the Bowl Participants
    Here is the Schedule
    Huge Congrats go to our first ever coach to be a BCS Buster
    Maij17
    and also our FIRST COACH TO PLAY FOR THE BCS NATIONAL TITLE
    OnIowa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Cotton Bowl Becomes Instant ESPN Classic
    [​IMG]
    The Dallas Cowboys Stadium was the setting for what is said to be one of the most memorable Cotton Bowl games of all time. The Mississippi State Bulldogs would come in sporting a 9-3 record and carrying the SEC flag. The Big 12 would send its suprise team of the 2012-13 season the Texas Tech Red Raiders who sported a 8-4 record. Before the game there was alot of build up with these two teams coming from two of the toughest conferences in college football today. The media hevily favored the Bulldogs to take home the Cotton Bowl crown and bring another title to the SEC.

The opening quarter of the game would see the most fireworks ever in an opening quarter of the Cotton Bowl. The Red Raiders would receive the ball and strike first in the endzone with a 12 yard touchdown pass from Doege to Zouzalik. Not to be outdone the Bulldogs would fire back with a 48 yard touchdown pass from Russell to Bumphis. The Red Raiders would get the ball back but turn the ball over on a fumble. The Bulldogs were set in prime field position to tack on another 7 points with a 1 yard rush from Alston. The Bulldogs then seen lightening strike as the following kick off was returned 89 yards for a touchdown by the Red Raiders Alexander Torres. The Bulldogs wouldnt let that score get them down and would put together a quick scoring drive to take the lead 21-14 at the end of the 1st.

In the second quarter both teams settled down and the defenses stiffined up. The Bulldogs would tack on a field goal early to take a 24-14 lead. The Red Raiders continued to stay focused and snagged a 18 yard pass for a touchdown. Going into the half the Bulldogs lead 24-14.

Both coaches took their teams back to the locker room as the crowd stood on their feet in appreciation. The coaches then lead their teams back onto the field and both teams looked to be ready to capture the crown.

The defenses again took center stage in the 3rd quarter and both teams seemed to be at a stalemate. Then what will be remembered as one of the greatest plays in Cotton Bowl history took place. The Red Raiders with their back against the wall pulled out a trick play. QB Doege took the snap and made a pitch to the halfback Delans Griffin in what appeared to be a outside run. Then as the defense closed in Griffin reached back and threw a bomb to Alexander Torres for an 80 yard touchdown. Now for the first time since early in the first quarter the Red Raiders recaptured the lead 28-24.

Going into the 4th quarter both coaches pulled their teams asside and gave the speach of a lifetime. The Red Raiders would tack on an early field goal to take a 31-24 lead with under 7 minutes remaining in the game. The Bulldogs offense was ready to unleash their feared passing attack. The Bulldogs began their drive and as quick as it started it was over. The Bulldogs attempted a pass to the middle of the field but the Red Raiders MLB Will Garcia would grab it out of the air and return it for a touchdown giving the Red Raiders a 38-24 lead with under 5 minutes remaining in the game. The Bulldogs Coach Nrg would pull his team together and get them refocused on the task at hand. The Bulldogs then came out with the fire and lit up the sky. The Bulldogs drove quickly down the field to set up a 1 yard touchdown rush by Alston. The Red Raiders then got the ball back and tried to run the ball and take as much time off the clock as possible. The Bulldog defense would stiffin and the Red Raiders were forced to punt. The Bulldogs then took over with 1 minute remaining in the game. The Bulldogs unleashed a fury of passes and with 8 seconds left on the clock QB Tyler Russel would fire a touchdown pass into the endzone to Oneal Wilder. Then as the Red Raider defense prepared to block the game tieing field goal they noticed something strange........Coach Nrg had pulled his team asside and said "Were going all or nothing !!! " and the Bulldogs prepared for a 2 point conversion. Coach Sabo quickly called timeout to prepare his team for what would be the most important play of the game. The Bulldogs and Red Raiders then lined up and the crowd went almost completely silent in anticipation. The Bulldogs would again go to HB Alston for the run and as he ran towards the endzone he was met at the 2 yard line by the Red Raider defense. The Red Raider crowd roared as Alston was stopped just short of the endzone. Coach Nrg wasn't going to give up just yet and as expected the Bulldogs lined up for the onside kick. The Red Raiders would quickly recover the onside kick and line up for one last play .......the qb kneel.

After the game we caught up with Coach Sabo
    "Wow what a game !!! I think this game took some years off of my life. I wanna thank my team for never giving up and playing their hearts out today. Also I want to congratulate the Mississippi State Bulldogs and their Coach Nrg. They played one hell of a game and never gave up. Together we put on one of the greatest Cotton Bowls ever and the fans in attendance can tell their grandkids that they saw two teams in a epic non stop battle."

89 Yard Kick Off Return

80 Yard TD Pass

4th Qtr Interception

2-Point Conversion (for the win)

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

Wow sounds like a great game.

4. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Can't wait to play my game! And I think it's awesome how we have 2 user vs user bowl games

5. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

NIU 25
    Notre Dame 24

Huskies come from behind to win the Pizza Bowl

A last second field goal was the difference in a brutally fought back and forth game. NIU Kicker Nick Weatherford, who had only attempted 19 field goals all season, was a perfect 4 of 4 including the game winner.

The Huskies defense came out with a plan to shut down the Notre Dame multiple WR spread attack and were largely successful. They stifled ND on the opening drive and then took the ball inside the ND 3 yard line. But the Fightin' Irish defense stifled the Huskies on four straight plays on the goal line. And the Huskies turned it over on downs on the one yard line.

Notre Dame scored a TD in the 2nd quarter and the Huskies' red zone woes continued as they managed only two FGs in the first half. ND took the lead 14 - 6 into the half.

Coach Jerry Bumpers made some adjustments at half time, including benching WR Anthony Johnson who had three crucial drops in the red zone. "I told Anthony to sit his sorry heinie down. A wide receiver has one job. Catch the dang ball. If you can't hang on to the ball then I got no use for you."

The Huskies added another FG and the Irish scored on a 24 yard draw to put the score at 21-12. "I told our boys they'd be running that dang draw play. We practiced against it all week long. After that touchdown, you could see the wind come out of our sails. So I told our equipment manager to put together a uniform for a 48 regular, 42 inch waist, 30 inch inseam."

Coach Bumpers then took off his pants on the sidelines and started dressing in a Huskie uniform. He clipped on shoulder pads over his blazer and tie and huddled the team together.

"I told my boys that the NCAA forbids me from putting on a helmet, but if they don't get their hind quarters in gear, then I don't care what the rules are, I'm suiting up and getting on the gridiron because I'm the only golldang mother hubbard around here who looks like he wants to win this game."

Bumpers' antics seemed to inspire the Huskies as they quickly answered back with an 80 yard drive for a touchdown, but failed on the two point conversion.

With 3 minutes left to play and the Huskies behind 21-15. QB DaRon Brown was sacked and the Huskies faced 3rd and 16 from their own 47. "I called for a 5 WR set play." Bumpers said. "And I pointed at Anthony and told him to get his butt back in the game. We need you now, son."

Johnson responded with a 53 yard catch for a touchdown.

The Huskies held the Irish to a three and out and it looked like they had the game sewn up, only needing make one first down to run out the clock. But Freshmen All-American RB Mike McKinney fumbled the ball his own 20 yard line. And the Irish kicked a Field Goal to go ahead with 57 seconds left.

But DaRon Brown orchestrated a no-huddle drive with no timeouts left and Weatherford's 38 yard FG with time expiring gave the Huskies the win. Coach Bumpers, still wearing shoulder pads flapping over his suit coat, led the rush onto the field.

"That was a humdinger, boy!" Bumpers said in the post game press conference, where he still hadn't removed the shoulder pads. "What a Pizza Bowl. I want some more. Bring on the Spaghetti Bowl, the Fried Chicken Bowl, and the Half Rack of Ribs Bowl. The Huskies are hungry for more!"

The Huskies finish the season 10-4.

6. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]
    ECU 38 Arkansas 23
    Bowl week was here and the #21 ECU Pirates faced off against Arkansas for the Liberty Bowl. Many knew that this would be Coach Zikry's last game with the Pirates, and before the game he shared an emotional moment with QB Brad Wornick and MLB Justin Jones as they walked out onto the field together for the coin toss. However, the game did not start off as ECU had hoped, as Arkansas took the ball and simply ran over the ECU defense, culminating in a 9 yard run by Ronnie Wingo to put the Hogs up 7-0. They would add to this lead after a Brad Wornick interception in the redzone, as Tyler Wilson hooked up with Neal Barlow for a 9 yard touchdown and the Hogs took a 14-0 lead after 1 quarter...on the ensuing drive the unthinkable happened...QB Brad Wornick, the offensive leader of the ECU team completes a pass to the Arkansas 19 yard line but is ROCKED by a blitzing corner and after several minutes a clearly distressed Wornick is taken off the field and he would play no further part in this game. Lesser teams would have panicked at this stage, but cometh the hour, cometh the man, as Senior QB Rio Johnson, who had not taken a snap this entire year, was thrown into a fairly complicated situation. His first pass attempt goes incomplete as he misses his receiver big time, and you can feel the ECU crowd getting antsy. 2nd and 10 on the Arkansas 19, Rio Johnson steps back and delivers a strike to Torian Richardson as he takes it in for the score..14-7 and now we have a ball game!​
    ECU would go on to score 24 more unanswered points in that 2nd quarter for an incredible 31 points in the 2nd quarter alone. A little over a minute after Rio had cut the deficit in half the game became tied, as Rio Johnson stepped back and faced an all out blitz by Arkansas, but as he was getting hit he found speedy WR Mike Price, who took it 67 yards for the score and now the game was suddenly tied at 14-14! ECU would take their first lead in this game 2 minutes later as Rio Johnson used his feet to score from 1 yard out, before Rio was able to throw his 3rd touchdown pass of the quarter with 35 seconds left in the half as he found Reese Wiggins for a 19 yard score. After forcing a turnover on Arkansas' next possession, ECU added a field goal as time expired to take a 31-14 lead into half time!​
    The 2nd half was all about ECU trying to keep its lead, as Arkansas were only able to muster up 9 points in the 2nd half with ECU scoring 7 of their own. Arkansas would score on a FG to cut the lead to 31-17 before Rio Johnson threw his 4th touchdown pass of the day, this time to TE Justin Jones to give ECU the commanding 38-17 lead. Arkansas would score a touchdown late in the 4th, but after missing the extra point they were still down by a wide margin, 38-23, but were able to recover the onside kick to give their team a sliver of hope with 1:30 remaining, but that hope was dashed when ECU forced a fumble and recovered it, effectively ending this game and just adding to the legacy that Coach Zikry will leave behind.​
    Player of the Game:
    [​IMG]
    QB Rio Johnson: 16-29, 344 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs.​
    *Coach Zikry will hold a press conference a little later tonight to announce where he will be coaching next year, for now he just wants to give the ECU boys a chance to celebrate this win!​

7. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Virginia Cavaliers - 2012 BCS Champions

#2 Virginia 49 vs. #1 Michigan 35

Three Defensive Touchdowns Propel Virginia to BCS Title

The Virginia "D" showed again why it is one of the best in the country, forcing 5 turnovers, 3 of them resulting in defensive touchdowns. Gatorade drenched Coach E couldn't take the smile off his face. "I knew ever since I took the job here at Virginia that we had the talent to win a National Championship, it just mattered whether or not these guys wanted to buy into my philosophy and work hard." "As for what next year holds, I will be making my decision in the near future, for the time being I want to enjoy my time with the guys."

Doak Walker Award Winner Torrey Mack was knocked out of the game in the 2nd quarter, his replacement Dominique Wallace stepped in and filled the big shoes. Wallace rushed that ball 12 times for 91 yards and 2 TD. "Dominique really stepped up under pressure and I know that Torrey has some decisions to make, but should he leave for the NFL I know we have a great guy in Dominique to take his place."

The Cavaliers will graduate a big group of seniors, but will look to win another ACC Championship and BCS Title behind the arm of Ross Metheny next season. "Ross didn't start the first handful of games for us this year, but he was a big factor in us winning this national championship." "He will be our guy next year."

Keep your eyes peeled for Coach E's news conference tomorrow as to what he has decided to do next season.

First Quarter
    05:22TDVirginiaTorrey Mack HB #5 2 yard rush

04:34TDVirginiaDevin Wallace CB #42 41 yard interception

02:21TDMichiganFitzgerald Toussaint HB #28 0 yard pass from Tate Forcier QB #5

Second Quarter
    03:06TDMichiganBrandon Moore TE #88 77 yard pass from Tate Forcier QB #5

00:16TDVirginiaRoss Metheny QB #13 0 yard rush

00:07TDVirginiaDonnie Jones SS #38 15 yard fumble

Third Quarter
    01:15TDMichiganVincent Smith HB #2 26 yard rush

Forth Quarter
    03:26TDVirginiaDominique Wallace HB #21 5 yard rush

03:19TDVirginiaMichael Strauss QB #19 17 yard fumble

02:22TDMichiganVincent Smith HB #2 8 yard pass from Tate Forcier QB #5

01:59TDVirginiaDominique Wallace HB #21 5 yard rush

00:57TDMichiganVincent Smith HB #2 1 yard rush

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

Congrats man

9. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

Nice job. You can't leave UVA now. That would be cold hearted.

10. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Congrats to the Cavs. Way to go Coach

11. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Lobos 31 Oklahoma 52

The Lobos got their shit pushed in by the Sooners in their first BCS game, the Sooners control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, Lobo QB Tarean Austin was good when he was upright, but the true story was Oklahoma just bulldozing the New Mexico front seven, to the tune of 286yds rushing. Coach Maij is 0-2 in bowl games and with his new contract extension, should be able to secure more talent in Albuquerque to compete with the Big Boys.

Lobo Game Stats
    T. Austin 28-59 436yds 2td 3int
    D. Dennis 8car 12yds
    D. Wray 6rec 156yds 2tds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.