Season 3: Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Jman, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

2. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

FIU Wins in Season Opening Shootout 42-35 over USF
    Mallary and Johnson combine for 500+ yards

TheFIU Golden Panthers got off to a quick start of the season, winning against the USF Bulls, 42-35. The Golden Panthers broke in several true freshman starters, along with several new players on the defensive side of the ball. "They're a talented team, going against players playing in a new system, so we knew we were going to have to score a ton to win."​

And score the Panthers did as they reached the endzone before their offense even hit the field as former starting tailback Darrian Mallary took a kickoff 91 yards for the score to tie the game up following a USF touchdown. But the Bulls would answer right back as Stephen Bravo Brown would catch his second TD pass from QB Bobby Eveld to give them the lead. "Fact was that we were getting torn apart in the first quarter." A long, methodical, 5 minute drive capped off by a Storm Johnson 8 yard run gave their defense some much needed rest. But rest mattered little as Bobby Eveld had an "insane" 73 yard scramble for the score.​

Mallary would strike yet again, returning yet another kickoff for 91 yards to keep the game tied 21 all after the first.​

"Our defense started to get some more pressure in the 2nd and we had more of a spy on Eveld, and that really slowed them down." But the FIU offense kept rolling with Mallary catching a 25 yard pass from Jake Medlock to give the Panthers their first lead. After a forced fumble and recovery by Jose Cheeseborough, FIU took advantage with another rushing touchdown by Johnson, this time from 9 yards out. The Panthers would then score with 39 seconds left in the half on a 15 yard pass from Medlock to true Freshman WR Jermaine Ferwerda.​

But the defense would be lax and give up a 70 yard TD right before the half to Alex Mut. "That kept them in the game." FIU would still go into half time up, 42-35.​

But their defense would continue to bring pressure, keeping USF off the score board, save for a 4th qtr TD from Bobby Eveld. The FIU offense would run most of the clock out before missing a field goal with 28 seconds left, leaving little time for the Bulls to mount a comeback.​

"Our defense clearly needs some work but there were bright spots. [DT Brandon] Dunn became a force later in the game, against one of the better centers in college football, and we had some key turnovers." Head Coach Baron was also full of praise for Darrian Mallary. "Darrian didn't pout about losing his starting gig. He went out and did everything he could to help this team, whether that was on special teams or as a receiver."​

Mallary finished the game with 334 all purpose yards with 3 TDs.​

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Texas Tech- 41
    Houston- 24

It took a second half comeback with a huge 4th quarter for the Red Radiers to pull away from the Cougars. QB Karam threw for 355yds 3 TD. RB Williams ran for 128yds 1 TD. WR Moore had 110yds receiving. The offense needs to be more consistent if they want to compete in the Big 12. Time will tell, but with a huge user match up against Florida, that dictate which direction Texas tech will follow.

4. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

UAB wins home opener against rival Troy​

UAB 49​
    Troy 35​

In a game that wasn't decided until the last 13 seconds, UAB pulls out a victory. UAB came in as the definite underdog going against preseason all american QB C. Robinson (97 ovr!! at f'n TroY) UAB started the game in control and took an impressive opening drive in for a score. UAB's defense was tested on the very next series as Robinson threw over a UAB zone for a 60 yrd score. The defense settled down after this and didn't allow the Troy offense to score again the 2nd half. With the defense playing well and UAB driving down the field, QB Isaiah Johnson dropped back to pass and fumbled, (of course this was returned for a Troy TD) and we went to the half 24-14.

The second half was a back and forth battle, UAB controlled the line of scrimmage and picked away at a Troy defense that continued to get pressure on QB Johnson. "Johnson did what he had to do, zero ints, 2 TD" commented coach papaloke. papaloke went on to say "I felt like I called a great game, last year or the year before I would have probably lost."

Down by 14 going into the 4th, Troy and QB Robinson started a comeback. A 73 yrd td pass, a recovered onside kick with 2:28 left in the game:mad: and then another drive down the field put Troy in a 4th and goal on the 2 yrd line with 15 seconds left on the clock. (Here I go getting screwed over again).... Robinson dropped back and tried to hit a curl route but UAB freshman MLB B. Gant deflected the pass!! (The UAB faithful erupt!)...RB Darren Reaves puts the cherry on top as he breaks a 90 run trying to run out the clock. Great first win, plus a rival game on which I have made several promises. Ha.

5. GatorJes

GatorJes Walk On

Aggies Hang Tough Throughout, Get Blown Out Late

NM State 3
    Colorado 27

LAS CRUCES - Looks like another long season at NM State. NM State was down 10-3 until midway through the 4th quarter, then had to resort to putting the ball in the air.

Im getting sick of this ridiculous CPU pass defense. Dudes are WIDE OPEN and I get picked off. CPU DB's have THEIR BACKS TURNED TO THE QB 5 YARDS AWAY FROM MY RECEIVER, and they make a great, clairvoyant, impossible jump on the ball, beat my receiver to the ball and pick it off. Even when I coach my receivers to come back to the ball. Can a team run the ball every play? We might find out this year.

6. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

"Maryland Takes Care of Business at Home Against Nebraska"
    Season 3, Week 1

Coach Walker took the field ready for a widely anticipated matchup against the #7 Nebraska Corn Huskers for his first official game as Offensive Coordinator for the Maryland Terrapins.

The game was close until the 2nd half when Marylands defense started to dominate while on the other side of the ball, coach Walker and the offense were not slowing down! Coach Walker's pro-style offense seemed on point as they were able to put up 285 yards on the ground and produce two different 100-yard backs in this one.

D.Adams was the star of the show as he busted off for 160 yards on 19 carries and backup T.Cierski rushed for 111 yards on 14 carries. Quarterback D.Burns started off the game hot completing 6 of 9 passes for 60 yards but was injured on a critical first down scramble that led to Burns breaking his collarbone and it's looking to keep him sidelined for 10 to 12 weeks!

Backup quarterback C.Brown stepped in and finished the game completing 10 of 13 for 117 yards and 3 touchdowns and no interceptions!

"We really hope Burns is okay! It was pretty harsh that when I stepped onto campus this spring for the first time, the star QB said he would never be caught playing for my offense and left town! I was excited for Burns to lead my offense this season but it looks like Brown is going to have to step up and get the job done like he did today" - coach Walker.

Maryland - 41
    Nebraska - 27

POTG :: D.Adams 19 ATT, 160 YARDS, 8.4 AVG, 3 TD, 0 FUM, 2 REC, 7 YARDS

7. Hokie Effect

Maryland looks like teh team to beat early on. Nice win IXI DECAY IXI

8. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Thanks but we will see how I fair with the user games... :oops:

9. Jman

I hear ya Jes, the thing I've realized is unless you have a QB with an absolute CANNON and pinpoint accuracy, deep routes are not a truly viable option b/c of the CPU secondary making super-hero across the field plays. I stick all intermediate combo routes now and usually only go deep on playaction. Its what many of us were afraid of this year when they told us they "improved" the zone, we went from gawdy passing numbers in last years game to tremendously low with tons of INT's this year.

10. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

Idaho - 34
    Washington State - 3

After Coach Jman bolted WASU after just one season leaving them high and dry and parents of recruits wondering what happened, the Cougars had to scramble and apparently hired a coach that runs the fleXbox One offense. I don't think that their roster was totally suited for this and as a result, the Vandals were able to put the clamps on them. WASU ended the game with just 105 total yards on offense and converted just 25% of their 3rd down attempts.

Todd Bailey rushed for 128 yards and 2 TDs on 18 attempts and added 2 catches for 29 yards. True Freshman QB Fred Sapp was decent, but unspectacular in his debut completing 12 of 19 passes for 139 yards and 1 INT. The Vandals added 2 defensive TDs in the form of and interception return and a fumble return.

Next up UAB and Papaloke.

11. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

New Mexico Opens Season with win in West Point

WEST POINT - The New Mexico Lobos got the 2013 season underway with a big road win in New York over new rivals Army. It was Army who struck first however, after they took the opening kickoff down the field and capped the drive off with a Chase Cresto 16-yard pass to Patrick Laird. New Mexico would tie it up just 51 seconds into the 2nd Quarter when Junior transfer HB Tyler Watts went 61 yards off a draw. With 2 minutes left in the half, Watts would strike again, this time via a 71 yard screen pass on 3rd and 19. The Lobos went into the locker rooms with a 14-7 lead and the score would remain that way till a minute left in the third when True Sophomore QB Caleb Wright would plunge in from the 1 to make it 21-7 at the end of 3. Army cut into the lead early in the 4th when their own transfer halfback Tahj Kimble took it in from the 1 to cut it to 21-14. Tyler Watts would then ice the game with touchdown runs of 79, and 80 yards as the Lobos built a late 3 Touchdown lead. Cadets don't know the meaning of the word quit though and Cresto would throw his second touchdown pass of the day, this time to Johnathan Crucitti from 9 out with 37 seconds left to make the score look more respectable at 35-21. That's would be the final, as UNM moves to 1-0 on the young season and Army drops to 0-1. Afterward, Lobo Head Coach Nate Glory said "I'm nothing but proud of these guys and the way they came out and fought today, but there's a lot of season ahead of us and we have a lot of goals to try to meet along the way. Oh, but how bout that Watts kid eh? I think I'm gonna like him!" When a reporter tried to stop Coach Mangs in the Hall after the game to see if he could get a few questions in, Mangs only asked, "What do you want to know? How much we suck?"

Game MVP:

Watts has 262 yards on the ground (17 carries) and 78 yards receiving as he accounted for 4 of the 5 Lobo touchdowns on the day.

12. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

FIU D Exposed vs. Noles
    Turnovers and Injuries Down Panthers, 45-28

The Golden Panthers suffered their first loss of the young 2013 season, losing 45-28 to the #5 ranked Seminoles in Tallahassee. "Everything that could go wrong did go wrong," said Head Coach Frank Baron after the loss. "[Starting quarterback] Jake [Medlock] goes down with a back injury in the 1st, we turn the ball over 4 times, twice in the redzone, I mean it was just a shit storm. And we couldn't tackle to save our lives."​

The Golden Panthers drove the ball down the field in their opening drive, with big runs from HB Storm Johnson and on target passes from Medlock, the Golden Panthers were at the Seminole 8 and looking to go up by a touchdown. But Medlock made his first, and last, mistake of the day, tossing an errant pass over the middle that was picked off. Medlock suffered an injury to his back that caused wracking spasms that left him out for the rest of the game. "I was really proud of our D for standing tall and keeping them to a field goal."​

But the Golden Panther offense had lost its rhythm without Medlock and the Nole defense stacked the box. Sophomore signal caller Lorenzo Hammonds was off target too many times. The Noles would take advantage and score on back to back possessions on runs by HB James Wilder from 32 and 4 yards out. "We just couldn't tackle him. We'd be in position, hell even have our arms around him, and just wouldn't make the tackle."​

But the Golden Panthers still manged to drive down the field and score from 1 yard out on a rush by FB Mark Barber with 1:17 left in the first. The subsequent drive by the Noles would be held to just a field goal, giving them a 20-7 lead. But Darrian Mallary would fumble the ensuing kickoff, and the Noles would kick yet another field goal to go into halftime up 23-7.​

The Golden Panthers would come out firing, passing the ball eight straight times in their opening drive, eventually scoring on a 35 yard pass from Hammonds to Darian Mallary.​

But two more Wilder touchdowns would put the game seemingly out of reach, 38-14. But Storm Johnson wasn't quite delivered that message, as he scored on a 22 yard screen play near the end of the 3rd quarter and then on a 5 yard run to open the 4th, bringing the game within 10 points.​

The FIU defense would fail to meet the challenge, failing to stop the subsequent FSU drive on three third downs, ultimately giving up a 24 yard pass from Will Secord to Kenny Shaw with 4:26 left. A Hammonds interception on the next FIU drive would end any hope of a comeback.​

"We had our chances, but seemingly everything fell apart for us."​

The Golden Panthers will travel to New Mexico State next week.​

(First time I've ever really felt like my team was ever completely outclassed. Other than like two players, my defense is completely worthless. Like I would literally kill for a 72 OVR LB right now. And Medlock going down on the first series was such horseshit. Oh well.)​

13. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

"Maryland Makes Quick Work of Navy"
    2013 Season, Week 2

This afternoons game featured a one sided matchup from the get go and Maryland never gave Navy a sight of hope as they ended up winning by a total of 52-17. The big story in this game is that starting quarterback from Maryland D.Burns who supposedly was suppose to be out for 10-12 weeks with a broken collarbone stepped on the field today with no injuries what so ever...

Maryland made quick work in the first quarter as they took an early 21-0 lead behind the legs of D.Adams. Adams had a phenomenal day and you wander if his past two performances will put him in the Heisman race and give him the respect he deserves.

The spanking continued into the 2nd quarter and Maryland was able to put up another 21 points to Navy's 3 points giving the Terrapins a 42-3 lead at halftime. Maryland came into the 2nd half with the 2nd string players on offense and decided to just work the clock. Maryland was able to put up 507 yards of total offense and they hope to keep this offense clicking as they pack their bags and head to Texas Tech next week!

Maryland - 52
    Navy - 17

POTG

D. Adams :: 14 Carries, 217 Yards, 15.5 Avg, 2 TD, 63 Long, 4 20+, 0 Fum

14. GMangs

GMangs Walk On

Army at Ball St

Army get the ball to start the game. Kimble caps off a 12 play drive with a 5 yard TD run, 7-0 Army. Both teams are forced to punt on their next possessions. Ball St tie the game up early in the 2nd quarter. After a 17 yard run, Kimble punches in a 1 yard TD run to give Army the lead, 14-7. Cresto finds the freshman TE Bratton for a 32 yard TD pass, 21-7 Army. Army recovers a fumble on the first play after the kickoff. Kimble breaks a big run on the first play of the drive. Then two plays later pounds a short run in for a TD, 28-7 Army. Ball St kick a field goal before half. 28-10 Army at half.

Ball St kick a field goal after a solid drive to open the second half, 28-13 Army. Kimble almost breaks the kickoff return for a TD, but is tripped up by the last defender. Kimble sets the O up with a big run. Cresto then finds Laird for a 14 yard TD pass, 35-13 Army. Cresto find Laird again, this time for a 16 yard TD, 42-13 Army. Ball St answer on the next drive with a TD to close the 3rd quarter out, 42-20 Army. Maples, the Army backup RB runs 12 yards for a TD, 49-20. Thats how it ends.

Player of the Game-Kimble 25 for 178 yards and 3 TD

15. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Akron starts strong, then gets blown out by Pitt, 42-10

Akron was driving to take an early lead when they threw an 85 yd pick 6. After that they play ok but Pitt was too physical on both lines and doninated the game. Unfortunately, while the talent is better in Akron, it's still not anywhere near where it needs to be to be a contender.

16. Hokie Effect

Jman Maybe schedule Akron vs FCS schools next season. Keeves is never gonna get out of Akron....

17. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

sigh...yeah there's so little talent there anywhere that it's been a battle...hopefully I can steal a couple and get to a bowl. Being 2* this year will hopefully help recruiting too.

18. annil8tion

annil8tion Walk On

Florida Rolls in SEC opener over Mississippi State, 52-14

The offense opened strong against Miss. After a strong opening drive lead to a FG, Mack Brown bounced an iso play outside and took it 91 yards for a TD to take a 10-0 lead. Mack Added another TD and with 4 passing scores from Driskel, this game was never really close. Passing was amazingly efficient, Driskel completed 20-22 passes for 312 yards and 4 scores. Meanwhile the team rushed for 281 yards and 3 scores, incluidng 239 by Brown. Overall a great win for Florida and a great way to keep a balanced offense and dominate the game.

19. Jman

I was soft with the schedule other than the Pitt game and user games. As soft as I can be without going FCS, I really don't want to have anyone play FCS games, ever.

I have faith in Matt, 6-6 last year was huge for him, I have faith he can get at least a decent OC offer next year. Just keep plugging away Matt and stay patient. Become a grinder and you'll be ok, especially once you get to conference.

20. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Sorry JMan...I think your confidence in me is misplaced:(

21. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

Idaho 35
    UAB 7

This game was a much closer contest than the score would indicate. UAB missed out on a couple of opportunities early with a bad 3rd down spot and a couple of missed INT chances. The big difference was on 3rd down as the Vandals were able to keep the chains moving (62.5% 3rd down conversion) and control the ball for twice as long as the Blazers. Idaho really stuck to the running game and it payed off averaging 7.3 yards/attempt on 30 carries with All American Todd Bailey going for 156 yards and back-up Calvin Thompson scoring 3 TDs. True Freshman Fred Sapp did a nice job of managing the game, but got some help with UAB defenders dropping the ball.

22. GatorJes

GatorJes Walk On

NM State 17
    Western Ky 9

Coach "GatorJes" Kriske came away with a much needed victory today at Western Kentucky. Before the game, he had a hunch and started backup FB Charlie Savedra at HB, and it paid dividends as he ran the ball 25 times for 164 yards and a TD. "He's got almost 40 pounds on the starter [Hall], and in practice this week, we noticed he's slightly faster, so we made the switch," coach GatorJes said. Backup HB James Hall did break off the biggest run, a 53 yard gain and had 5 carries for 74 yards. QB Tanner Rust was just 4 for 6 with 17 yards passing and (drumroll please) no interceptions!

NM state picked off a WKU pass on the game's 1st drive and turned it into a 7-0 lead. Hall's run made it 14-0. The halftime score was 14-3, and WKU could only add 2 more field goals, the final score 17-9.

NMSU OPG: Charlie Savedra 25 att, 164 yds, TD
    NMSU DPG: Rex Meikel 3 sacks, 7 total tackles

The Aggies are 1-1 and face a tough FIU team next week.

23. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

After the game a female reporter called UNM Head Coach Nate Glory, whose team was on a bye, to ask about what he thought about the Aggies Win . . . They must have caught him in the sauce because these kind of comments can't be made up: "What? You mean New Mexico has another football team? Sure as fuck could have fooled me. Are you talking about those NAIA bastards from Los Cruces? Come on Lady, it makes my dick hard when I think about how bad we are going to beat that JUCO squad in a few weeks. Anybody they try to recruit we take, anybody that brings up the Rio Grande Rivalry, they talk about how they can't comprehend the tropy isn't around this year. I can only scoff at the prospect that they think they'd ever keep that thing. Let's face it, we are going to bend them over and fuck them in a few weeks, but hey . . . We got bigger fish to fry in the meantime" Big talk from a team that's only 1-0 on the young season, but if that evil empire across the state ever needed bulletin material then they have it now.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hokie Effect

Texas Tech- 35
    TCU- 62

Looks like this aint working, might need to start running the ball. Starting QB gets knocked out early and 6 ints later the Red Raiders dug themselves a hole they couldn't get out of. A much needed bye week to figure out a new game plan before a big user match up against Florida. Fun.

25. Jman

Holy effing ouch Hokie! OOF!