Season 3 Scores/Recaps

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by NYJuggalo45, Sep 5, 2012.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Looked for a thread like this but couldn't find it. C'mon guys, lets get SOME participation going here. This was the first game I've won this year (all 3 have been user games so far) otherwise would have started this sooner. Week 5 and not a single recap - friggin pathetic

AIR FORCE - 30
    FLORIDA ATLANTIC - 20

Air Force wins their first game of the season, in what their coach labeled "The Shit Bowl" as this was a matchup of the 2 least talented user teams in the league. Funny thing though, even though the talent sucked...it sucked equally, and this turned into a pretty good game.

Anyone who saw the game stats would know right away what the difference was in this one. Turnovers. FAU commited 6 of them, AF 0. Even with the HUGE turnover differential advantage, the Falcons still had to hold on late to beat the Owls, which is a pretty good compliment to Coach Cam, who never gave up and keep coming back strong.

FAU QB Grey Crow just did not have it tonite. 6 interceptions, 3 by AF's best player FS Bubba Watkins. A few of his passes were great plays on the ball by the defense, but a few, admittedly by Coach Cam, were bad decisions inwhich he has to realize he doesn't have Joe Montana under center. Coach Juggs did admit he got lucky as Air Force fumbled 3 times and managed to recover all 3 of them.

There were other big discrepencies in the stats, other than the turnover margin. Air Force outgained FAU on the ground, 157 yds to 14. And thru the air, FAU outgained AF 268 to 85. The 2nd half saw Air Force have the lead most of the way, which explains some of it. But the first half, the basic reasoning was....the few times FAU ran the ball, their RB got demolished. Not sure how bad their OLine is, but I do know my front 7 is nothing to write home about but we looked like superstars. And I easily have the worst starting QB in the history of organized football. Sadly, he is head and shoulders above the 3 other shitheads on our team. My 2 previous user games my QB was just HORRIBLE so I decided going into this one, was going to pass as little as possible...end result was 10 pass attempts all game. We relied heavily on our bruiser HB Mark Campbell who got 26 carries and finished with a respectable 83 yds and a TD.

The most exciting sequence came early in the 3rd qtr when 21 pts was scored in 27 seconds (yes that's not a typo). FAU punt returner Christen Milstead returned a punt 72 yards for a TD. He took a punt on the right hashmarks, made the first line of defenders miss, then raced up the left side making our return defense look like slow pokes. Needless to say, every punt from that point on was sent out of bounds. We took the kickoff to the 21 yard line. And on the first play from scrimmage, FR speedster HB Jonathan Morgan took a handoff 79 yards to the house and easily outraced the FAU defense. Coach Juggs has been hesitant to play Morgan as he backs up our best player Campbell and has really really bad carry rating. But he is about 10 pts faster than any player on our team, so we try to get the ball in his hands a few times a game. The kickoff was a touchback. And on FAU's first play from scrimmage, QB Crow threw one of his 6 picks on the day right into the hands of OLB Spencer Hammitt who took it 32 yards on the pick 6. Crazy series of events in less than 30 seconds which probably turned the tide in the game.

AF is happy to get 1 victory in a brutal 3 user game stretch to open the season. The rest of the scedule is vs Mountain West cpu teams, who coach Juggs feels AF should be able to dominate, as all the teams in the division are just as bad talent wise as AF is.

GG Cam, once you get a QB with some talent you're gonna be dangerous being in Florida with that pipeline.

2. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I suppose this is as good a time as any to get my thoughts on recaps out there. The reason why I don't write any recaps is because the dynasty website provides 90+% of what I would include in a recap anyway. I do like to look at the automatically created story on the wire, and I get the scoring recap, the stats, and whatever highlights people save (when they actually upload). To me, writing an additional recap is a lot of work for little extra content. This is also the reason I don't really update my recruiting board (on this site), because you can get most of that information from EA's website.

That being said, I still am a bit disappointed in the lack of participation - only two people have posted their scholarship limits for the year, which takes all of 10 seconds. I'm not too worried about it, because I can keep track of it anyway. Even the fun stuff like voting for MOP isn't done, maybe because people don't see their players on there or something. Isn't really much we can do to fix it, though - either people visit the forums and participate or they don't.

3. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

True about the wire...but that thing never works and who really checks the other teams games on there? Plus like the UVA - Kansas user v user Nat Championship game, and rematch this year. Nothing about it. No preview. No recap. No fanfare. Should have been a big deal with a thread or 2, atleast imo. But...like you said, alot of guys never even check the forums so why bother with the extra work

4. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

As I said, I check other teams' games. If I'm the only one, then fine, but I use the wire to scout opponents, commit people's tendencies (run/pass %, who is targeted in the passing game, which players are getting the sacks, how you play when you're down vs. how you play when you're up) to memory so that I'm prepared for future matchups, and just enjoy the video highlights (rare as they are). I was able to upload 5 video highlights of the 2013 BCSNC, and the story is still up there, if you want to see the highlights, scoring recap, stats, and everything else. Just need to go to "Archive" on the home tab, and then select season 2.

If I can get a good indication of how many people read the recaps, then I'll bite the bullet and start posting more. I just don't want this to turn into 30% of the users providing 95% of the content. And even worse, only 30% of the users actually participating in content.

I've got a ton of ideas myself for new, exciting content (I would REALLY love a fantasy draft, where each user picks user players and makes their own team - would probably only require skill positions and defenses as a whole), but I sure as hell don't want to do it all myself!

EDIT: Ugh, there's no way I can NOT organize at least the first year of a fantasy draft now. New thread coming up soon...T_T

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I like it...content! I know this isn't a premier league, but maybe the commish needs to make "some" participation mandatory

6. derek

derek Walk On

I used to scout people in a similar way but I found myself focusing on an individual player and losing focus on the game.
    I agree with both of you that maybe half the guys in the dyn even look at the forum so why bother with a bunch of recap stuff. Ive actually had a lot of trouble accessing the forum recently due to some sort of "error". I kept getting an error 500 or something. This is the first time I have been able to access to forum directly.
    Bottom line is a dyn is a lot more entertaining when guys interact but you can't make em do that.

7. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

I'm always checking on here and get an email to my phone that updates me every time someone post. But there just isnt much traffic on here. Sometime's I wonder if it has to do with the NCAA series getting stale or just things like (IMO money plays being a little to money and the lack of defense to stop it). I purchased Madden again this year and they kicked the shit out of NCAA this year. For every play there's a counter. Someone run's out routes call zone. Someone throws short passes underneath then press your D and walaa. On D if someone brings heat up the middle you run outside and lord help if you run commit on a pass play that cost you six because your safties dont just recover. Sorry I know I'm bitching about NCAA again but I'm dissappointed with it this year.:( If it werent for this dynasty it would probably very seldom be played online and just used for some entertainment after getting all pumped up after some Saturday football.

That being said if the commish want's to go mandatory on the write ups I'm there. Just let me know.

And Abominatrix sorry I'll get my scholly numbers up right now.

8. derek

derek Walk On

Hey is Madden's gameplay it's usual slow as Christmas movement? The last few editions have been so painfully slow that I couldn't stand it. I swore I would not buy it this time but Im hearing a lot of good things about it

. Im still enjoying NCAA but to be honest sometimes Im just disgusted with the gameplay. i.e. today I played South Caroline and I just gave up on trying to tackle their rb. That and I had two dropped passes to guys who were behind the defenses and would have scored. I finally just simmed the game. Sometimes it really just feels like you're not going to win no matter what. Maybe I don't know enough of these "money plays" lol

9. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Just got raped by Nevada. I know air force sucks and Nevada actually is a decent team, but in any other version of NCAA, I would have won by 30. Was it frustrating, fuck yeah. But call me a sadomachisist, but I like losing to the CPU and it being tough games. Older versions of NCAA, by year 3 I was bored vs the CPU. This game, I look forward to the games and feel like winning is an accomplishment

10. derek

derek Walk On

I agree with wanting to be challenged but literally having to tackle the opposing rb at least twice on every carry is beyond challenging. I like the chess math element. If I call the wrong play and the cpu is able to capitalize then that is my fault. I f I have to adjust my defense because my guys are not good enough to cover man to man then I try and recruit guys that can cover man to man. Missing countless tackles even when you have planned ahead and adjust the gameplan to conservative makes me thing that there is nothing I can do.

11. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Maybe your defense is just awful at tackling. The CPU occasionally breaks tackles on me but I rarely notice a difference between these sliders and all american standard as far as tackling.

12. derek

derek Walk On

Maybe so

13. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

DA SEC!

But seriously, this seems to only be happening to you, so I'd like to try to help. If your big hit/tackling is on conservative already, then here are some possibilities for the weirdness:

1) Are you user tackling with everyone who gets near the ball? I know that sometimes when I play people and they just switch players all the time and spam X, I can break a lot of tackles. It's usually much better to just run into the guy instead of hitting X from too far away.
    2) Do you run a base set with more safeties/corners than LBs/DL? The heavier front-7 type guys usually have higher tackling attributes.
    3) Are your guys swarming to the ball often (this ties in to pursuit attributes across your defense, and speed/acc)? I know that I'll often miss the first tackle (as in, RB breaks it), but I usually have backside pursuit coming to clean up, so the damage is minimized. I know that being a FS user helps me, because if your FS is in a deep zone and you let the CPU control him, he's gonna drop back pretty far before reading run (unless PRC is high). Also, I RARELY switch players on defense, because usually the CPU will do a decent job of getting everyone to the ball on running plays, and, at least for me, whenever I switch I usually slow someone down.
    4) Are you in DA SEC?
    5) Does this happen ALL the time? The BC runningback just torched my defense to the tune of 156 yards (I didn't like that >_>) - sometimes the CPU will just will itself to a good game on the ground.

14. derek

derek Walk On

1. Rarely am I guilty of this but there are times when I switch to a player and end up on a different player but before I ralize it I have laid one of my defenders on the ground then the snowballing begins but like I sid that's a rarity.

2.I normally match up 4-3 with 2 wide, Nickel with 3 wide etc. Thats how I normally start a game until I start to get a feel for what they are doing. I like man as well and I don't want a lb/fs/ss on a wr unless I am blitzing.

3. Sometimes I do swarm especially when I blitz but more and more I control a dlineman because I get all but zero pressure with a cpu controlled cpu and thats not just Kentucky. I am Alabama in my other OD and I spent 3 qtrs using just a 4 man rush and my guys never got near the qb unless he ended up running through a gap and my guy will get off the block then and only then. other wise he just had all day to throw, and this was against Ole Miss.

5. Some games more than others but it happens often. Maybe my guys just suck at tackling. Ill just deal with it.

Appreciate the help. It's all good. It's just a little silly at times. I'll post another highlight reel like last time.

15. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

Naw man I think they did a really good job with the game this year. I actually think it is faster than NCAA this year but I would def. recommend renting before buying especially if your just taking my opinion. Only think that irks me about Madden is the play calling. Really wish they would just go to traditional instead of the gameflow or whatever. I hate always having to pause and fix it or hit x to get to the traditional play calling menu after every play.

**and for the record I usually trade in madden after about a month but I'll be keeping this one and NCAA both this year.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  16. areohhwhy

areohhwhy Walk On

Virginia lost.. um.. wasn't really expecting that.

17. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

:eek:

18. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

This must have been his starting lineup for that game

:doodie: :doodie::doodie::doodie::doodie::doodie::doodie: :doodie: :doodie: :doodie:
    :doodie:
    :doodie: :doodie:

19. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Yea, whenever I lose, its for the same reasons - I try to be too cute with the passing game when running it would give me the win. Threw a pick 6 on their goal line to end the half, and that turned out to be the difference. That and your typical friendly CPU fails. They had a series of two plays where my deep zone defender just let the guy run past him - once, on the second best player on my team (Nicholson, 94 CB) when he was in a deep third, and then in the back of the endzone after my SS decided to stutter step while the receiver caught the pass.

One play does not a game make. There's a bunch of stuff I could've done better, just gotta fix it and move on :(

20. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Love that shit. I feel like since the patch, there are so many secondary fails that are completely unacceptable and unrealistic. In one of my other dynasties, I had one play that just made my blood boil because it was so stupid. It didn't really hurt me at all but it was just absurd. The guy ran a 5 yard out and my corner acted like he just go shook by Barry Sanders on the cut and stumbled the wrong way by literally 10 yards. It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The out route went right, my corner went left.