Season 3 Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Dru50, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

LSU 35
    SC 18

A new offense led to some boring football, but the team got a win. HB Sam McDonald carried the rock 38 times for 214 yards and 3 TD's and QB JJ Meyer was efficient with 11-13 throwing for 161 yards and a pick. Cheez would have had a tear brought to his eye watching this game, as LSU ran the ball 46 times and threw it only 13 times. We ran on 1st and 10, we ran on 2nd and short, we ran on 2nd/3rd and long a couple of times. Pretty much, Coach Dru is going with the theory "5 things can happen when we pass the ball - we could get picked off, we could drop the pass, it could be incomplete, we could catch it then fumble it, we might actually get a catch.....and it could get intercepted". I'm sure this strategy will get blown up in our first user game, but for at least one week the Tigers are undefeated. Couch burnings all around in Baton Rouge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up next is a user game with MexiRican35 in what may be a "loser leaves town" match, since both users are fearing going 0-fer against the rest of the users on their schedule.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Florida St. 17
    Nebraska 0

Jacob Coker was pretty good at QB for the Noles, but he did throw 2 INTs. He didn't need to do much as the defense was solid. We only forced 1 turnover, but we allowed just 101 yards. We had 8 sacks, and their passing game was not very special. Coker threw the 1st TD of the game to nobody WR Mario Barbour since the 3 starting receivers were tired or hurt. Then after a Nebraska 3 and out to start the half, HB Mario Pender made his only good run, going untouched from 77 yards out, doing a good job running with his lead blockers. We added another FG to win 17-0. Nebraska did get inside our 30 twice, but didn't decide to kick field goals.

Up next is Virginia Tech. We lost to them last year on the road, this game should be a good one if my O-Line could do anything. We couldn't run at all vs. Nebraska beside the 1 big play.

QB Jacob Coker - 19-27 for 224 yards, TD, 2 INT
    HB Mario Pender - 14 carries for 112 yards, TD
    WR Kelvin Benjamin - 7 receptions for 89 yards
    TE Austin Huggins - 4 receptions for 43 yards

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Kapono
    No user picks with your LB? Or do you just save those for the user games ;)

4. Dru50

Is it bad that that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the game summary on DW?

5. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Dru50
    You forgot you could also get sacked :)

It's sound strategy and we rode it for 13 wins last season (y) You'll probably end up doing better than I can!

6. Dru50

Good point!

7. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Georgia Tech 42
    Alabama 21

Georgia Tech Rides QB Nathan Armstrong to a big victory. Armstrong played big getting 127 yard rushing, 200 passing, and 4 total TDs. Alabama made some mistakes while going away from there ground pound, put themselves and a hole and could not climb out. GTs depth and balance really showed as they completed 11 passes to 8 different Receivers. Alabama did not have a lot of success slowing down the Triple option attack.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I had zero success slowing it down. I was pretty clueless on how to try and defend it. I did get away from my rush attack and that was stupid on my part...won't happen again. I still felt I had a sliver of hope down 14 with the ball but that floating pass where your safety ran across the field to pick it off sealed the game. GG man.

9. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Yeah I was a little surprised myself. He was a scrambler, which means if you got close to him, he'd run and usually get sacked. Hoping for double digits INTs on the year (y). I don't think my matchup with Virginia Tech will be too good for him. We just need the D-Line to play like they did against Nebraska.

10. Dru50

Since I won't beat you I'll just run every play to keep your LB from getting any picks. ;)

11. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Sounds like I'm going to bring out the 4-6 defense (y)

12. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Tigers survive late push for upset win

Coach Taylor's hot set just might have cooled off. The Tigers weren't expected to do mush in their season opener being almost a touchdown underdog. They had to go to the swamp and play the #5 ranked team. But, preseason rankings have little impact. The Tigers opened with a FG, but then the flood gates opened. Gators QB Price would be user picked by MLB Young. Next play, PA TD to WR Wilson from 64 out. Very nest Gator play, a user pick 6 by OLB McCloud. Next drive, Price was picked again. Tigers QB Kelly would once again take advantage of single coverage in the 425, hitting WR Coleman from 73 yards for a 24-0 lead. Only 5 minutes of game time had been played. Price would keep slinging it Tony Romo style, as the Gators got into the endzone on a 2 yard throw. Florida went for 2, but was intercepted. That one point could have played a huge factor later on in the game.

The second quarter, and really most of the game, saw little defense. Clemson scored a 10 yard to WR Sutton on third down. HB Taylor scored on a 2 yard run for Florida. Then HB Cooper would score before the half for Clemson, and it was 38-13 Tigers.

Florida opened the half by scoring a TD in only 32 seconds. Clemson fell just short of scoring a TD of their own, and settled for a 18 yard FG. Florida opened the 4th by getting into the endzone, making it 41-27 Clemson. Price would than make a grace mistake, throwing an interception on the first play of the drive. Florida would capitalize, scoring a TD and making it a 7 point game. That's where that 2 point conversion comes into play. If Florida kicked the point, they could have taken the lead with another TD. But, like I said, there was little defense. Cooper was able to take advantage of this, racking up 135 yards and killing tons of time off the clock. Clemson kicked a FG with 52 seconds left to make it a two possession game and sealed it with an onside recover. GG SatansAngel1104

Clemson 44 - #5 Florida 41

13. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Already more User wins than last year...way to go! I'm sure you'll be getting a vote of confidence from your AD soon...

14. MexiRican35

Didnt see him when I got off the plane :cautious:

15. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

upload_2013-10-1_23-45-41.png
    Deja Vu
    Hokies outlast FSU in OT

For the second consecutive year, the Virginia Tech Hokies and Florida State Seminoles played an overtime thriller. Much like the first time, the Hokies once again come out with a one-point victory over their ACC rivals.

With Virginia Tech winning the coin toss and electing to go on defense, Florida State scored on the initial possession of OT. Remembering the events of their prior meeting, the Seminoles went for the early two-point conversion in order to put pressure on Virginia Tech, but unfortunately, they would fail to convert as QB Jacob Coker was sacked. Needing only a touchdown and an extra point to win the game, the Hokie offense reached the end zone setting up an all-but-automatic extra point by K Jonas Perry for the win. It wasn't without drama, as the Hokies converted on a couple third downs, including a 3rd and 17 scramble by QB Matt Jackson.

Prior to the overtime period, a frantic fourth quarter unfolded that saw Florida State take a seemingly insurmountable 24-14 lead midway through the period on a 30 yard TD pass from Coker to WR Kelvin Benjamin. Nevertheless, the Hokies answered quickly by taking to the air and seeing Jackson connect with WR Teddy Jones from 49 yards out. Still, leading 24-21 and with a chance to run clock, the Seminoles would make their only mistake of the game as Coker was intercepted by MLB Gavin Williams to give Virginia Tech a chance to at least tie the game.

The Hokies proceeded to drive down the field and take the lead on HB Gemara Anderson's third TD of the night from four yards out, with exactly a minute and a half to play. Florida State took advantage of the time remaining and regained the lead as Coker kept the ball from seven yards out. With only 22 seconds left on the clock, the Hokies appeared to have run out of luck, but knowing they only needed a field goal, gave them the hope to come back one more time. Four passes and three timeouts later, Virginia Tech was well within field goal range, giving Perry the chance to tie the game from only 30 yards out.

Kapono , great game again! The pivotal play was the interception late in the fourth when you basically had a chance to ice the game with a few more first downs.

Notable Stats
    Florida State Seminoles Virginia Tech Hokies
    QB Jacob Coker - 22/27, 298 yards, 3 TD, INT QB Matt Jackson - 18/21, 268 yards, TD, INT
    HB Michael Vaughn - 5 car, 27 yards, TD, long 8; 3 rec, 32 yards, long 18 HB Gemara Anderson - 21 car, 73 yards, 4 TD, long 15
    WR Kelvin Benjamin - 7 rec, 87 yards, TD, long 30 WR Brandon Austin - 3 rec, 59 yards, long 42
    TE AJ Huggins - 5 rec, 119 yards, 2 TD, long 74 WR Teddy Jones - 9 rec, 147 yards, TD, long 49
    DE Chris Casher - 6 tack, TFL, sack Third Down: 10/12

16. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Notre Dame survives in 1 vs 2 matchup

The #2 ranked Fighting Irish played host to the #1 ranked Aggies of Texas A&M on a perfect afternoon for some football. The Aggies got it first and went to the ground repeatedly with Johnny Football just turning around and handing off. TAMU marched all the way inside the 10 and on a second and goal Johnny Football made what may have been the biggest mistake of the ballgame. Mr Football read the blitz but thought the zone coverage was man and lobbed the corner route which was picked off by SS Jared Willis to keep the Aggies off the board. The Irish answered with a long FG to take an early 3-0 lead. Johnny continued to be cold, throwing two passes into the hands of defenders who couldnt hang on before his team punted away. Another Irish drive ensued and Anthony Porter cashed in with a nifty move in the open field to break free for a 29 yard score. After another TAMU Punt, the Irish would add a short FG to go up 13-0 late in the half. Things were looking grim for the Aggies, but a great catch in traffic set them up in scoring position. Johnny Football tried a near identical play as the early INT with nearly the same result, but the dropped INT by the defender allowed TAMU to get a FG to narrow the lead to just 10 at the break.

TAMU needed to come up big in the third and the defense showed signs of life with a couple of early sacks. Fountain needed to hit a 15 yard pass just to get to 4th and 6 and a manageable FG as the Irish would go up 16-3. TAMU would answer when the HB would find an enormous hole on what amounted to a terrible defensive playcall. 54 yards later and it was 16-10, except that the extra point was blocked Jayrah style!. Up 16-9, the Irish went back to work on offense and got an Anthony Porter TD from 4 yards out to extend the lead to 14. The TAMU offense finally seemed to be clicking and a 2 yard TD run by Williams would cut the lead back to 7 going into the 4th quarter. The Irish would continue to use their gameplan, working the no huddle down the field but fatigue was setting in. A number of starters were gassed one the team was inside the ten and in a pinch Fountain threw a TD to his TE, only the TE was a lineman subbing in due to fatigue. The TD by the big fella gave ND a 30-16 lead. Johnny Football would take his first sack of the game on the first play of the drive, but on the next snap he would do what he does best, be a ball hog and bogart the glory, going 83 yards on a QB power play to cut the lead to 7 with a little over 4 minutes left. The Aggies badly needed a stop but it was not to be as Fountain would convert two key 3rd downs through the air before being able to kneel out the win.

GG bringbackjimmy

17. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

gg

18. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

[​IMG][​IMG]

Rebels Survive Scare In Opener
    Mississippi barely escaped in OT at home with a 24-17 victory against a game Auburn squad. The Tigers defense was not great from the 20's but when the ball entered the redzone Ole Miss simply fell apart and had to settle for 3 field goals before finally scoring a touchdown and 2 pt conversion late in the game to tie it up. Auburn then marched the ball, turned it over and recaptured a turnover inside the Rebs 25 (all within the final 2:30 of regulation), but poor clock management and a decision for no field goal attempt left the game tied. A touchdown for Ole Miss and a turnover for Auburn sealed the Rebels' victory.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Cavs Turn Tables On Rebels
    In a game much closer than the final score (or maybe not), Virginia pulled off a difficult win in Oxford. (Wire says 47-32 but we played it 43-24 before freezing in the postgame screen. He then played the CPU it looks like instead of simming which is fine). Virginia took a 21-3 lead before Ole Miss scored before the half to make it 21-10 and then was inside the 10 going in late in the 3rd when the qb fumbles on a scramble trying to fight for a first down. Virginia returned it all the way inside the Rebels' 10 and punched it in from there. Then Ole Miss blocks the XP but the kicker recovers and breaks 2 tackles on his way into the endzone for the 2 pt. Back and forth from there and the Ole Miss D was atrociously bad in coverage. I can't imagine Ken Welsch has played a more balanced offensive game, he played outstanding football. GG man.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ken Welsch

Ken Welsch BTFD!

This was a great game. Tough to do a writeup without the stats of the actual user matchup, but it was a great game. Turnovers kept the momentum in my favor and I'm very pleased to see my defensive speed has improved. This is the second year in a row that I've had to travel to play you in Oxford in an out-of-conference matchup. Maybe I host you next season.

Good game my man.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MexiRican35

[​IMG]

The Toilet Bowl. The 2 worst teams took action in one of the most least anticipated games of the season. And the fans got what they expected. 3 n outs, dropped passes, dropped interceptions, this game had it all.

The first three drives were 2 Clemson and 1 LSU 3 and outs, as neither team could establish the run game. LSU was able to get on the board with a TD pass to a wide open TE Harrison from 14 yards. Clemson responded with their own TD as WR Wilson took a tunnel screen and broke a tackle into the endzone. So at halftime, we had a high flying action packed game of a 7-7 tie.

With TV ratings soaring to watch the second half, LSU took the lead with a FG. Their offense still could not get the run going. Meanwhile, the Clemson running game got rolling. A long drive, helped with dropped picks by the LSU D, got the Tigers of orange to the Tigers of purple's 1 yard line. But a great tackle by LSU's CB on TE Wade kept Clemson out of the endzone. The Tigers decided to kick the FG, knotting up the score 10 all with 5 minutes left in the 4th. Clemson would force a LSU punt (thanks to a dropped pass, literally, just flat out dropped pass by his TE on third down), and went right back to the run game to try to kill clock. On third and long, with a simple dive play to try and set up the kicker in the middle of the field, HB Cooper got broke a tackle in the second level and sprinted into the endzone for a 31 yard TD. With only 1:36 left to play, LSU would have to take to the air. But a poorly run route by their HB lead to a pick 6 and gave Clemson the W. GG Dru50 sorry that had to be the game that broke the camel's back.

#22 Clemson 24 - LSU 10

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dru50

Good game, you deserved the win as you made good reads all game and your guys made plays when it counted. Upside is I get to go on an NCAA vacation while I see if I'm lucky enough to get the OC job at North Alaska Polytechnic State or something.

22. Dru50

And yeah, I almost threw my controller through my TV when my TE dropped that pass. That's the moment I knew I was done.

23. MexiRican35

It was just comical cause my LB hadn't even hit your TE until a full second after he dropped that pass. I guess EA physics includes hearing footsteps too.

24. Dru50

Yep, one thing I can count on with this team....that no one on offense can make a play.

25. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Florida St. 59
    Virginia 35

FSU opened the game with a FG drive and then intercepted a UVA pass early, getting the ball on the UVA 40. FSU scored and Virginia responded, scoring on a long TD drive, 10-7 FSU. FSU would get a nice kick return and the offense moved forward to the 17. That's when Jacob Coker moved around in the pocket for 8-10 seconds before finding a wide open TE standing in the end zone. FSU would continue the defense, with 3 more INTs in the 1st half, going up 38-7 with 18 seconds left in the half. But they allowed a UVA TD on 3 plays and a penaly, 38-14. Virgina scored on the opening drive of the 3rd, bringing the score to 38-21. Virginia would get close, but 3 more 2nd half INTs kept them out of it. Thomas got his first 2 INTs of the season, including a TD in garbage time.

FSU
    QB Jacob Coker - 19-27 for 311 yards, 2 TD, INT, 9 carries for 14 carries, 3 TD
    HB Mario Pender - 20 carries for 73 yards, 2 TD
    HB Marvin Vaughn- 8 carries for 66 yards
    WR Kelvin Benjamin - 9 receptions for 143 yards, TD
    TE Justin Dukes - 3 receptions for 55 yards, TD

UVA
    QB K Brown - 31-51 for 467 yards, 4 TD, 7 INT, rush TD
    WR D Johnson - 7 receptions for 115 yards, 2 TD
    WR C Jackson - 6 receptions for 117 yards, TD