Season 3 Team Previews

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by fuzzyl0gic, Dec 7, 2011.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Post 'em up.

2. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

#14 Michigan Wolverines

Michigan begins the post Denard Robinson era disappointed about losing the last game that Denard Robinson would wear a Wolverine uniform 35-34 to Georgia Tech in the National Championship. The Wolverines finished 12-3 last season and did win the B1G championship for a 2nd straight year. Even after 2 what most schools would say are successful seasons, the Wolverines still feel that there is more to be accomplished and will come into this season more hungry than ever. They've had a taste of success the past 2 seasons, but have yet to complete the full meal. This year, would a new line up on both sides of the ball for the most part, they will have a tough task to handle. Other than Denard, the loss of Je Ron Stokes will hurt this team. This is the 2nd year in a row the Wolverines have lost their top wide out, something that's very hard to adjust to early, especially with a group of inexperienced receivers.

Key Players-

QB Devin Gardner RS JR - Devin is a lot like Denard Robinson is many ways with his speed and his throwing ability, but Devin is 6'4 and can see over the defensive line a lot better than Denard could. Also, Devin is expected to make longer and better throws than Denard could, which will hopefully lead to better offensive possessions for the Wolverines. Devin also led the Wolverines to a B1G championship over Wisconsin 2 seasons ago and a BCS win over Boise when Denard had a season ending injury a week before the conference championship. With the Junior college transfer James Johnston addition last year, it allowed Devin to redshirt and retain a year of eligibility so he'd have the option to play 2 years as a starter instead of 1. The redshirt was almost lifted several times when Denard got hurt, but luckily, Johnston played well enough to let Michigan keep the redshirt on.

HB- Fitzgerald Toussaint RS SR- Fitzgerald was the back up last season to Freshman sensation David Harrison until he broke his collar bone. Harrison, surprisingly, will not be getting the start this season. Fitzgerald has improved a lot this off-season and has shown that he's mature enough and ready to get the start for the Wolverines this season. Fitzgerald is expected to carry the offense early until everyone can get in sync with the spread offense that Michigan runs.

HB- Vincent Smith RS SR- A very experienced backfield, Vincent Smith was the 3rd string running back last season, but became the starting back for the B1G championship game and the National Title game. Smith responded with over 300 yards rushing in total for the 2 games and 4 touchdowns. Even after the success he had, Vince will still most likely only be getting carries when the game is out of hand or Fitzgerald needs a breather.

WR- Jeremy Jackson SR- Jackson is a home grown Michigan talent that really hasn't been used in his time as a Wolverine. He's a solid receiver, with good height, but just a little slow for the spread offense. Jackson will be the leader for the receiver core so the Wolverines will be expecting him to step up this season.

WR- Jeremy Gallon RS SR- Gallon is another Senior receiver that really hasn't been used as much as he possibly should have. Right now, the SR will line-up as the number 2 receiver but that could change. There are two Freshman on the roster that could take Gallon's place since the Wolverines brought in some good freshman at WR the last 2 years. The original thought was to let them improve for 2 years before they play, but the more experienced receivers have yet to step up. Hopefully Gallon will.

DT- Quinton Washington SR- Quinton will be the most talented defensive tackle on the field almost every game he'll play this upcoming season. He has great strength and can really get in the backfield and cause problems for the opposing defense. Playing for a coach that doesn't like to blitz much, having a strong and aggressive defensive line is a must and Quinton is a guy that doesn't need blitzes to get to the QB. The scary thought about this Michigan defensive line, Quniton will be the best DT that the Wolverines have had.

FS- Carvin Johnson SR- Carvin is returning for his Senior year when most thought he could have gone to the draft and been picked pretty high. He had 9 interceptions to lead the Michigan secondary last season, and will look to do even better this season. He also forced 2 fumbles, making that 11 turnovers he caused in all. Carvin is going to be the leader in the secondary and hopefully, he'll lead by example and get the secondary playing up to their potential.

New Additions

QB- Anthony Garcia- Anthony was the number #1 rated QB in the nation coming out of high school and also happened to be a scrambling QB which made him perfect for the Michigan spread offense. Anthony is 6'3, and can really run the ball, but there are question marks on how accurate he really is. If his accuracy comes around, he'll be a stud at the University of Michigan. Right now, it looks like Anthony will be the #2 QB for Michigan, but if Gardner struggles early on, the coaches will not hesitate to put Garcia in the game. For the time being, it looks like the only time Garcia will see the field is when the game is already in hand or Gardner gets hurt.

WR- Drew Johnson- Early on, it looked like Drew would be the slot WR for this season but the more practice time he gets under his belt, the more it looks like Jerald Robinson will play the slot and Drew will overtake Jeremy Gallons spot as the number 2 WR. Johnson is just the type of WR built for this spread offense and could really make some big plays for them. For a guy that's 6'4, he's very quick and can really outrun opposing CBs. Both Johnson and Garcia will eventually hook up for a lot of touchdowns as Wolverines, but eventually could be sooner than later if Gardner doesn't produce.

High End Expectations- Another National Title appearance, only this time walking away with the trophy and do a much better job of in season recruiting.

Low End Expectations- Struggling without Denard Robinson and a true number 1 wide receiver to lead the team. Ending up missing out on playing for the conference championship. Also continue to decline on the in season recruiting.

The Wolverines success will fall on the shoulders of QB Devin Gardner. Devin has had a year to figure out what went wrong in the two games he started last season for the Wolverines. He threw 4 interceptions, including 3 in the B1G conference championship game that could have cost his team the game. To compare, Denard Robinson threw less than 4 interceptions in an entire season last year, including the conference championship and a bowl game. Devin has huge shoes to fill. Lucky for him, the running game has improved each of the last two years, and will feature 2 SR backs in the backfield. That will save Devin from having to really throw all game, but he'll still be asked to take over several games this next season and hopefully he's ready.

3. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

This guy posts this much shit for every team preview and stuff, but we never see him talking on the board...Why does thou hate us?

4. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

haha doing the team previews stuff gives me a break while I'm at work. Good way to take my mind off the job.

5. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

And the friendly banter between me, Kasper and Natty isn't? lol

6. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

haha oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading those posts. And when you and Kasper go at it too.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Calling everyone out here.. lets see every team do a goddam preview here! Mine will be up after work-/ i better see a few when i get hone

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Must ne a black thing
    *shrug*

9. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

11. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'll do it in a bit. Gotta start studying some Calc. Third times a charm! (i hope :'()

12. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Calc I & III are easy, II is the only one I had any issues with.

13. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Shit I was a journalism major. Very little math needed thank God....

14. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Then you can atone that this is bull shit. I got screw with Calc II. First time i didn't pass by 3%. The second time was even better... I didn't pass by 3 points (i.e. a sign error on a test). The fucking bastard didn't give me those three points and now i'm fucked for a year where if i fail any classes i will be kicked out of engineering...

15. The Natural

Yep, I had to take Calc II twice but passed Calc I & III with a B+.
    Slacker.

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Wake Forest Preview

Offense

QB - Sophomore Kevin Sousa earned the job last season and will be the starter from the get go. He threw for 1779 yards and 13 TD's while tossing 9 interceptions as a freshman last season. If however Sousa messes up, senior Tanner Price will be waiting to get another shot at leading Wake Forest. Sousa's athleticism could really come in handy in the new air raid system implemented by Coach Kasper- and could lead to some options or other spread running twists being included in the offense.

HB - Josh Harris, end of story at this position. Harris is going to his third full year starting, and is a great overall back. While Harris could see a decrease in carries, he and the coaches will find ways to get their best offensive player invovled. Screens, outs, and even some time possible lining up at wideout are all included in the plans for Harris. Outside of Josh, there isn't a whole lot else to say at this position as no other running back has seen much meaningful time.

WR - Senior Michael Campanaro will lead this group, and will likely be hanging out in the slot in the majority of formations. The last two seasons have seen Campanaro catch a combined 99 balls for 1,411 yards and 14 touchdowns. With the move to the air raid, a lot more receivers will be used this season. 6'6 junior Matt James and true freshman Terrance Campbell will start on the outside for Wake; both have ample speed and hands to make the big plays. Along with Campanaro, redshirt freshman Mark Bradley will start at the 4th WR spot. Bradley was expected to be the big name young WR coming into this season until Campbell committed to Wake, so expect some good numbers from the 6'2 frosh.

Offensive Line - This should be one of the better offensive lines Kasper has had since he has been at Wake, with all 5 starters between 80 and 84 overall. They won't be a spectacular group, but should have enough skill to move people and create running lanes for Harris, while also giving Sousa ample time to find receivers downfield. Both tackles are seniors this year, while the three inside are juniors.

Defense

Defensive Line - Wake will return three starters from last years defensive line, including All American Nikita Whitlock. The 6'0 282 pound Lake Jackson, Texas native has recorded 28 sacks from his DT position the last two seasons- largely due to his superior quickness (81 speed) and bastardly power moves (91). Look for Whitlock to have another 10+ sacks this season. Junior Daniel Vogelsang steps into the starting role opposite Nikita, while seniors Zach Thompson and John Gallagher return at the end positions. The two ends combined for 18 sacks last season on top of Whitlock's 17.5. This could be a damn good group, and I can't wait to see them in action.

Linebackers - The more I look around, the more I think this could be my best defense yet. Junior LOLB Justin Jackson steps into a starting role at LOLB after waiting patiently, and is a very smart player at the position (81 awareness). He also has great athleticism (87 spd, 82 ag, 88 acc). MLB Mike Olson will finally step into a starting role after waiting behind Scott Betros. the 6'3 senior is a solid overall linebacker with smarts, strength, and speed for the position. I look for him to have a great senior year, even if he has never started a game for us yet. The headliner of the group is junior ROLB Zachary Allen who, like the other linebackers, is a great athlete (85 spd, 85 ag, 92 acc). Measuring out at 6'2 245, and having that kind of quickness, pretty much makes Allen a physical specimen. He is definitely getting smarter on the field as well (86 awr). Allen posted 64 tackles last season (17 TFL, 3 Sacks) while picking off two passes and forcing 5 fumbles. Look for him to have another great year.

Defensive backs - Senior CB AJ Marshall surprised many (and pleased all Wake fans) by coming back for his senior campaign after a 9 interception junior campaign. The 5'11 NC native should have another good year, and will be the leader of this defense along with the previously mentioned Whitlock and Allen. Junior Merrill Noel will step into the starting spot opposite Marshall and could put up some good numbers. Seniors Kevin Johnson and Domonique Tate will be the 3rd and 4th corners. These four should be a very solid group this year, and with such a solid defensive line could really get it done. Senior safeties Daniel Mack and Duran Lowe return and bring stability to the position. Both are smart players who combined for 4 interceptions, but like last year with mostly be used to cover deep over top.

Kicking game - True frosh Bobby Jackson will handle kicking duties for Wake after the departure of our punter to the pro's. Jackson should be better then our previous kicker and let us kick some field goals from further then 40 yards out. Merrill Noel will continue to handle return duties, and Campanaro will get a shot if Noel can't for whatever reason.

Best Case scenario- Win the ACC.
    Worst Case scenario - Lose the division

I think this team is too talented to win less then 8 or 9 games, but with the new blood in the division I can't say one way or another as far as the division's outlook. We expect to compete for a conference title every season, plain and simple.

Season goal: Play in a BCS bowl.

17. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

I only needed 2 math classes total. And one of them was statistics. Now I manage people's money.

18. The Natural

And people wonder why the American economy is in the shitter lol.

19. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I laughed.

20. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

WISCONSIN BADGERS
    [​IMG]
    Wisconsin finished the season last year ranked 3rd in the polls but with 3 losses. Two of the three loses did come to the two teams who played in the National title game but the loss to Michigan killed any hopes at a shot for the National Title for the 2nd straight season. This year, things are more of the same. The Badgers enter the season ranked 2nd and brought back nearly all starters from last season. Three noticeable losses come from starting QB Curt Phillips, starting HB James White, and starting CB Marcus Cromartie.​
    The loss of Phillips is only big because he was the only QB with extensive playing time on the roster. It appears the freshman Robert Gandy may be handed the reins opening day but will have a short leash before Joe Brennan or Jon Budmayr take over. All three QBs are very similar skill sets but Gandy brings better pocket awareness and can avoid sacks and make plays after things break down on him the best.​
    The backfield is crowded this year. If White had returned for his senior season, he would absolutely be a Heisman contender after finishing last year 4th on the list but this year there is no standout. Jeff Lewis has the most experience with 471 yards and 9 TDs in his first 2 years on campus but Melvin Gordon will open the year as the starter. Gordon redshirted as a true freshman and battled minor injuries most of last year and didn't see the field. Though he is listed as the starter, the same should be said for Lewis and true freshman Charles Rogers. All three may see 10+ carries multiple times this year and Wisconsin will ride the run game to victories. Rogers was the nation's top HB in this years recruiting class and fits the Badger HB mold well. But with Gordon only in his sophomore season, he may be splitting time his whole career at Wisconsin. Traditionally a position to watch for someone to step onto national awards lists, this years Wisconsin backfield may not produce one stat hog to take the spotlight.​
    As usual, the Badgers will rely on a dual TE set often with 5 outstanding TEs on the roster. Last year Jacob Pederson finished as a finalist for the top TE in the nation. WR Jared Abbrederis returns for his senior season along with Jeff Duckworth. Both men have been productive each of the last two years but have not been asked to do too much. Last years exciting freshman Derek Whitlock found the endzone 6 times but will have more competition this year. Junior Isaiah Williams, and the RS freshmen duo of Donald Johnson and Chris Grey have their own packages and will all see the field this year and should all contribute in some ways. Whoever is QB will spread the ball around a lot this year.​
    The Oline is always big and talented and this year is no exception. The 5 Upper classmen average nearly 340lbs each and are some strong men. Travis Frederick will convert back to center this year after playing the last 2 seasons as a guard and will make room for the true freshman Jemery Hines at LG. This line group is a big run blocking machine and the stat books will reflect it.​
    [​IMG]
    The Badgers have gotten known for forcing turnovers and this year may be better then ever. The Dlinemen recored 26 sacks last year, lead in the middle with Bryce Gilberts 11 and Eric Hemer's 8.5. Getting after the QB has helped force fumbles as well as rush throws and the secondary is filled with ball hawks. Though they did show their tendency to go for the ball often led to big plays for the opponent, they lead the nation in interceptions.​
    FS Luke Davis won the Thorpe award on his first year on campus after transfering in from junior college. His 5 INTs, 3 FF, and 3 FR huge. But Peniel Jean saw possibly the biggest year. In our nickle heavy defense, Jean recorded 5 INT, 3 FF, 1 FR, and 4 touchdowns as well as 2 and a half sacks. Jean will take over for 2011 Thorpe award winner Marcus Cromartie as the #1 CB. Opposite him will be Eric Graham who recorded 6 INT of his own on his first year on campus last season as another JUCO transfer. Graham has tremendous ball skills. The two kids everyone has been raving about have been this years JUCo transfer CB Dan Moyer and true freshman FS Scott Brown. The duo is expected to play nickle and dime packages this year but both have outstanding cover skills and athleticism. Moyer is the most physical CB on the roster and excels at press man to man coverage, a staple in the Badgers defense. Playing in the same position as Cromartie and Jean of the past two years, he should be able to have a monster year.​
    The linebackers remain in tact from last season. Ethan Armstrong will hold down the middle after a solid junior season. Conor O'Neil will hold down the left outside position on 3 LB sets while last years Bednarik and Nagurski winner Shawn Dangerfield will hold down the right side of the defense. its a very solid athletic group of LBs and combine with the dlinemen should put some good pressure on offenses and force them to the air. ​
    [​IMG]
    Last years true freshman kicker John Lane was a finalist for the Groza award and will look for another good season kicking the ball. True Freshman Ryan Ward will handle punting this year. Ward has dazzled the coaches all spring with his athletic ability but his main focus will be punting the football. The nation's top kick returner from last year will return again in Kenzel Doe. The 5-8 bolt of lightning returned 5 kicks for scores as a freshman and led the nation in kick and punt return yard averages. He adds a big spark to every game and really allows the Badgers to control field position. ​

21. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Sorry Oshiomogho I never made it past the first pic to actually read everything you wrote.

• Like Like x 3
  22. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I had the same problem...

23. pnc

pnc Walk On

Illinois Illni team report

OFFENSE

Quarterback - The starter is Senior Nathan Scheelhasse After 34 picks the last two years, nathan will be looking to be more conservative and take what the defense gives. his accuracy is a 94 but his strength at 84 kills him. he can make the throws he just cant get them there.

Halfback - will be a struggle with Soph. Donovan Young and Freshman Derrick Dorsey splitting the carries. Neither player is very fast(87) or strong(65) so running this year will be a major issue.

Wide Reciever - The good news is we have three senior recievers back, the bad news is none of them are very good with a high of 82. Two players to keep a eye on are Soph. Lacoose and freshman Oliver. Soph. TE Jon Davis is the best reciever so ball control will be important.

Offensive line - Stinks....even if i had a running back these guys wont be able to open many holes.

DEFENSE

Defensive line - The defensive line is good but young with two freshman starters and one soph. Senior DT Spence is the key.

Linebackers - The strength of the defense is here with three senior starters controling the middle of the field. Brown and Vasser are outside while Denmark is in the middle. Brown and Denmark both finished with over 60 tackles last year, while vasser is a first time starter.

Secondary - The strength of this unit is Senior FS Hull while the corners will be young with two soph. and one freshman

OVERALL

After two strong seasons totaling 17 wins and two bowl victories this year will be a struggle. With recruiting picking up the future is bright, but with 6 user games as well as ohio st. and alabama 6 or 7 wins and another bowl game is about a good as we can hope for.

24. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

way to go guys, we really knocked these out!

25. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

FUCK! Haha. Thank you for posting. I'm doing mine now.

• Like Like x 1