Season 4 Bowl Week

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by fuzzyl0gic, Jan 19, 2012.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

[​IMG]
    Advance Deadline: Friday 10:30 PM EST

Welcome to Bowl Season!
    Remember to visit dynasty.easports.com to publish your own stories.

=============== #4 North Carolina Tar Heels (12-1) ===============
    Last week, North Carolina won 44-38 against Wake Forest (11-2).
    #5 North Carolina will face #3 Michigan in the Orange Bowl®.

=============== #8 Virginia Cavaliers (9-3) ===============
    #9 Virginia will face #22 USF in the Champs Sports Bowl.

=============== Purdue Boilermakers (8-5) ===============
    Last week, Purdue lost 31-10 against Michigan (12-1).
    #20 Purdue will face Kentucky in the Gator Bowl.

=============== #3 Michigan Wolverines (12-1) ===============
    Last week, Michigan won 31-10 against Purdue (8-5).
    #2 Michigan will face #4 North Carolina in the Orange Bowl®.

=============== #5 Iowa Hawkeyes (10-2) ===============
    #7 Iowa will face #13 West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl.

=============== #6 Wake Forest Demon Deacons (11-2) ===============
    Last week, Wake Forest lost 44-38 against North Carolina (12-1).
    #3 Wake Forest will face Ole Miss in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

=============== #18 Penn State Nittany Lions (8-4) ===============
    #19 Penn State will face #11 Mississippi State in the Outback Bowl.

=============== #9 Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-3) ===============
    #11 Nebraska will face #19 Alabama in the Capital One Bowl.

=============== Wisconsin Badgers (7-5) ===============
    Wisconsin will face Kansas in the Insight Bowl.

=============== #7 Clemson Tigers (10-2) ===============
    #8 Clemson will face #12 USC in the Rose Bowl.

=============== #16 Virginia Tech Hokies (9-3) ===============
    #17 Virginia Tech will face Stanford in the Sun Bowl.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. fuzzyl0gic

3. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

BCS Bowl bitches

• Like Like x 2
  4. fuzzyl0gic

We've got the best of the ACC vs the best the B1G can offer up in the ORANGE bowl. This is how I envisioned things, even though we both missed the National Title game. Hopefully it lets us play !!

5. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

• Like Like x 1
  6. BPHusker

BPHusker Walk On

Go Philstyle3005! Sucks that a user missed the National Championship by 0.003.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BPHusker

BPHusker Walk On

Woo! Dominic Holmes won the Bednarik, Lombardi and Nagurski. I am assuming he will want to leave for the NFL. Hopefully I can convince him to stay! ;\

8. fuzzyl0gic

Don't hold the kid back from his money stacks!

9. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

UVA wins 30-14 in the champs sports bowl. This game was pretty hard to get the offense going as Watford had a hard time finding his receivers and the Cavaliers couldn't get the run game going one bit. But their defense came up big forcing 3 turnovers during the game. Cavaliers finally earn their 5th star and look forward to next season.

10. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

11. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

We know the ACC has that game already won. Rep it fuzzy!

• Like Like x 1
  12. fuzzyl0gic

Kicking off now!

13. BPHusker

BPHusker Walk On

Overrated? Penn State Thinks So, Embarrasses #12 Mississippi State

#17 Penn State 59
    #12 Mississippi State 3

After a slow start and a taking a 3-0 lead into the 2nd quarter, the Penn State Nittany Lions finally woke up. One word can be said to describe their play, "Perfect." Once the 2nd quarter started the offense looked possessed. Starting RB Johnson carried the load in route to a 1 yard power into the endzone in their first drive of the second half. Up 10-0, the defense mauled the Dylan Favre led Miss St team, forcing a three and out. Penn State got the ball back and preceded to move down the field at will, scoring on a 13 yard broken play scramble by Pat Jones. One of the most amazing plays was right before half. With 10 seconds left, Coach BP called for a deep pass. Pat Jones hit Bill Benton for a 66 yard TD to push Penn State up 24-0 at half.

Penn State didn't let up following half time. After a 60 yard scramble by Dylan Favre, who was tackled at the 10, the Penn State defense held and gave up their only points on the day, a 22 yard field goal. Johnson took the load on the following drive and capped it with a 13 yard run. After ANOTHER stop, the Penn State offense came back on the field. Pat Jones came out in a spread look and saw a mismatch with his speedy receiver Mikael Cameron. Cameron beat his man and Jones threw a perfect ball which resulted in a 72 yard TD. On their next drive, Mississippi State came out in a 4-4 against the shotgun. With no one covering Davis, all Jones had to do was lob it up. Jones made the catch and ran 62 yards for another touchdown. On the next Mississippi St drive, history was made. After being shut down all day, Dominic Holmes finally got his 25 sack and broke the NCAA record for sacks in a season. The backups got some playing time too - RBs Dickerson and Moss scoring 2 touchdown to cap the scoring in the game.

Another stat of the game - Penn State never punted. They did go for it early in the game on a 4th and 1 and converted.

Penn State looks to be a force to be reckoned, with most of the team returning next season. They hope they can make a leap into the top of the B1G in year 3 of BP. It will be tough, but after finishing with a 6-6 record last season and making a great jump this year with a 9-4 record, it is not out of the question. Hopefully, the best is yet to come.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fuzzyl0gic

The Orange Bowl lived up to the hype, it turned to be a LSU/Bama type game. Michigan edges UNC by 1 point (10-9) after an amazing fumble near the end that gave me the ball back with decent field position, but my receivers could not get off the press and the blitz got to me on both my last drives. Ouch, my receiver's release ratings must suck.

15. fuzzyl0gic

Alright Philstyle3005 this isn't to call you out, but I mis-spoke, IT IS in the rules:

Pressing, Showing Blitz, Line & Linebacker Shifts and Stunts: These must be varied and goes under "mixing up play calling" for defense. It is okay to run more than the other (AKA your corners have good PRESS ratings so you press about half the time) but running the same shifts, stunts, or coverage stunts all game is PROHIBITED. These must be mixed up. Also, having 9 in the box should be used when it situationally makes sense (aka 4th and 1, desperation run stop, etc.) and is not a base defensive look.

On my last two drives I feel like presses every play + blitz was really frustrating. I had no where to throw the ball, and I was sacked within a second or two. I could have called more meshes, screens, etc. but I really didn't have the time on the clock. I should have paused the game and told you after the first time I noticed it, but I thought I could still win and then call you out on it. That's not the way it should be handled.

It's obvious from our teams and records that we are pretty skilled, and we both hate to lose. I was too conservative as I kicked a FG with inches to convert for a TD, and you got the TD from 2 yards out with a HB toss (not saying that wasn't realistic). Going for it on 4th and inches from your own 45 with 2 minutes left in the game and you're up 10-9 shouldn't even be a hesitation to punt IMO...going for it is strictly prohibited in the rules from that context, unless it's a fake punt (which I was prepared to defend). I think that coupled with the presses + blitzes (which only came on the last 2 drives because they were obviously over-effectice, why not use the tactic all game if it's sim?) almost puts this game into not being fun and overly aggressive.

Again, this is NOT a flame war. We're mature adults here, and it's merely a civil discussion with my take on it. I still think it was a great game, great defensive battle. I think you could have probably stopped me on the last two drives without the presses (blitzing is fine). You fumbled with 56 seconds to go in the game because you went with a running play instead of kneeling and punting the ball (I only had 2 TOs). Again, I couldn't do shit on the next drive due to the presses and blitzes.

16. fuzzyl0gic

This is open to the league as well, what are your thoughts on the press? Honestly I never use it (usually don't the right guys with good press ratings), and this is the first time I've encountered it in a game. Obviously outside of the scope of mixing up your play-calling, what are your thoughts on using it? It sure seemed impossible to beat to me...by the time my guys broke free I'm sacked.

BPHusker
    Kasper
    Oshiomogho
    sawemoff
    hornfaninbama
    -Cougars-
    Philstyle3005
    JQwon13
    CoachRedd
    Total Doubt

It's a good thing to air out now, I've got recruits coming in with decent press ratings. I could defiantly see how it would be frustrating from my opponents perspective if I used it.

17. fuzzyl0gic

I'm also calling a guest speaker in here who's opinion I really respect on all things sim, IrishBearcat.

Like I said, I have 0 experience with this tactic until this game. I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

18. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Well, I'll attack this 4th and inches to begin with. With the score 10-9 from the 45, why would it be unrealistic to go for it? My defense has let you on my side of the field a lot, even though we only gave up 9 points, so I felt getting a first down in that situation was less risky than punting. Again though, that's why I paused the game and asked you before going for it. You said it wasn't realistic, I just told you my reasoning but as I said, after you said it was unrealistic, I told you I was punting regardless because that's your first call. If I get it, I win. If I don't, I lose. But If I punt and you get on my side of the field, I lose regardless. Might as well keep my offense on the field which I feel had a better shot than my defense, but regardless, I didn't punt.

Now to the fake punt. I could have done that, but I voted against fake punts and refuse to use them. As you saw, the only real way to stop is to pick a real d and put someone on the right side and blitz. I came out in Punt block because I knew you were fake punting, or I would just fair catch in a worst case scenario, and you still pick up the first down even though I'm ready for the block. So I'm never going to fake punt/fake fg.

Now as far as pressing, everyone that plays me knows I don't run man very often. In that situation, I only blitzed you on 2 of the plays that 2nd possession at the end, and when you're in the hurry up formation, it's tough for me to scroll through everything I want to run because A, you're hurrying up so the snap is coming soon b/c since it's late in the game, you don't have to wait for me to line up correctly. Now I already explained to you why I pressed, I had 2 safteys over the top, plus me roaming with my middle LB or a 3rd Saftey. I wanted to keep everything in front of me and stop any out routes because if you beat the press, my guy is under neath ready for the out route. If you run a slant inside or a post, you at least have to burn a time out, spike, or continue hurrying up.

as far as to if it's sim, why not run it all game? I don't run much man, but when you have to get down the field in a hurry, I'm going to run man, so you can't send 2 guys deep to attack one zone, etc.

Edit: Did you only have 2 time outs? I really thought you had 3 timeouts or I would have kneeled. Big oversight by me.

19. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Hey fuzzyl0gic , can you give me the cliffnotes about what you're asking? I glanced, it looks like you're wondering how often pressing should be allowed to be utilized?

20. fuzzyl0gic

The way the rules are set up, you were limited to only a fake punt if you wanted to go for it. The rules can't catch every exception, and I guess it's really a gray area/judgement call here. My reasoning was it would be a LOT easier for me to get 10-15 yds on you (which would be in FG range with my powerful kicker) if you failed to convert versus me trying to drive the whole field on you when you've held me to 9 points all game. I understand if you convert it makes it easier to win the game (I had 3 TOs at that point I think), but again, I guess it's just a judgement call...with the way that game had played out until then, that would been such a lousy way to lose it...

It does seem like they are very hard to stop and my opponent always seems to know when they're coming. A few people have stopped me. Maybe it's something I should reflect and ban altogether? Another gray area I suppose.

I guess it felt like a blitz every play. With the press, nobody is open and boom a sack. Your dline must be pretty good as well. I thought you pressed in zone some also? I thought you could do that, but again I have little experience with. Which means I also have little experience with works against it.

Again, it seemed overly-effective to me.

21. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I bet some people wanna change their votes for the two most likely to have an on board meltdown, lol.

As for my thoughts on the matter, I just played Phil and to be honest he ran mostly zone against me. I didn't see a lot of man from him.

As for the 4th and 2, I think that's an obvious punting situation to pin your opponent deep, but USC went for it against Texas in the 05 national championship in a similar situation so it's not unheard of.

I was angry with Phil for having much better players than me, lol. His freaking offense just goes right down my C+ defense's throat.

22. fuzzyl0gic

Pretty much. It was basically used every play (with a few blitzes on some, not on others) on my last 2 drives of the game. Phil explained why he did it above. I couldn't do SHIT. I guess to make it ultra-simple: is there some route or adjustments I could easily make to get down the field, or is there some software exploitation I can't overcome?

23. fuzzyl0gic

This has to be the most calm 'meltdown' I've ever seen then, lol. I'm perfectly fine, just really curious about this. I've never had it stop me like that before!

24. fuzzyl0gic

Exactly, I didn't see the press the whole game until the last 2 drives, thus my questions. It was the 4th and 2 from the goaline he scored on (which is fine), it was the 4th and inches from his own 45 with a 10-9 lead with 2 minutes to go in the game that I thought wouldn't be realistic. He never went for it, just asked me if I thought it was realistic.

25. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

INTERRUPTION TIME!

Badgers beat Jayhawks 40-7 in Insight Bowl

With nothing to play for anymore, I didnt play most of the Seniors in this game. They did manage to slip in from time to time when players needed rest but mainly it was all about the future in this contest.

Gandy had a poor game so we relied on the run game and defense. In what may or may not be Gordons last game in the backfield he went for 155 and 2 scores on 27 carries. Rogers went for 54 on 8 and Doe broke off a 74 Yard TD to start the scoring on the day.
    Defense got extreme pressure all day and Fisher dominated for another 3.5 sacks while the team totalled 8. Trotter, McDonald, Floyd and Jean all nabbed INTs. Floyd and Jean took them to the house while McDonald was stopped at the 3. he still managed to force another 2 fumbles and had one of the sacks tho.

WIth the season over at 8-5, there may be coaching changes in the offseason and a new scheme put in place to maximize the strengths of the team