Season 4 - Expectations

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

As we hit the end of this season, I thought it might be cool to discuss what you think your team will look like heading into next year.

For FSU, we are losing 3 of our top 4 playmakers on offense (QB EJ Manuel, HB Chris Thompson and WR Rodney Smith) as well as our top offensive lineman (RG Rhonne Sanderson). On defense, we are losing 3 out of 4 guys in the secondary (CB Greg Reid, FS Nick Moody and SS Jajuan Harley) and 2 out of 4 guys on the DL (DE Toshmon Stevens, DT Jacobbi McDaniel). The good news is that even though we had 16 seniors this year, many of them were not starting. Barring a max exodus of juniors, this team should have enough talent to compete for the ACC crown next year as well.

On offense, the team will be likely turning to more of a spread option/passing attack, with incoming freshman QB Brenton Newby expected to get the starting job. He will be aided by returning HB Robert Bean and WR's Greg Dent, Christian Green and Kenny Shaw. The offensive line should be better next year as well, since 4 of 5 starters return.

The defense was really young this year and it definitely showed at times, but they had their 3 best games in the last 2 regular season games and the ACC championship win vs UNC. The stars will be returning sack leader, true freshman DE Jeremy Miller (currently 3rd in the nation with 10 sacks), and the LB corp lead by redshirt freshman MLB Chris Wright. The secondary will see a lot of new faces, as there are several incoming CB recruits who are expected to immediately compete for playing time.

Expectation - I think we will go undefeated in the ACC regular season, and get to the ACC title game, but the overall talent probably isn't in place for a national title run.

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Larry Walters (R-FR) will be returning and he should have plenty of weapons around him. Jamal Berry (R-JR) still has a year of eligibility left and Roderick Smith (R-SO) will be his backup at HB. At WR Chris Fields (R-JR), James Louis (R-SO), Demario Breedlove (SO.) and James Jackson (R-JR) should all be returning to Columbus. Fields has missed several weeks but still leads the team in almost every receiving category. The only offensive weapons leaving will be WR1 Duron Carter and HB2 Jordan Hall. The Buckeyes also lose another pass target in TE1 Jake Stoneburner but he is expected to be replaced by one of the Buckeyes incoming recruits. That recuiting class also brings in the very dangerous Michael Vickers, whose speed could cause mismatches with defenders. He likely sees the field on special teams as a returner and may sneak in some offensive formations.

On defense the Buckeyes have plenty of talent coming back but they do lose the middle of the defensive line. John Simon and Garrett Goebel are the stars behind the talented OSU rush defense and their presence will be missed. Ohio State also loses Storm Klein at LB but Jon Newsome (R-JR) should return. The secondary also remains entact and gets a boost in depth from the recruiting class.

Bottom line Ohio State's run at the National Championship is not finished this season. The team loses only 10 seniors this year so expectations are high for next year's squad, though focus now is winning the championship this season.

3. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

We will suck - That is all.

Just kidding. We do lose all major contributors on both sides of the ball - save QB MarQueis Gray. On a positive note, Minnesota can cut both of its 40-rated walk-on TEs because we landed 3 freshman TEs in our recruiting class. This will allow the Gophers to run their preferred offense and abandon the spread. I expect Gray to have a good year but Minnesota has no chance to move into the top 2 of the conference unless Penn State or Ohio State are off the schedule.

4. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Washington State has low expectations regarding next year. When I look at this team, there are currently 31 freshman or redshirt freshman on the roster. The Cougs will be returning wide receivers Junior Bobby Ratliff, and Sophomores Marquess Wilson and the record setter Robert Jiles. In addition HB Devontae Butler should be returning as well. During the UCLA game and the Apple Cup he looked good, the other 10 games not so much. That may have to do with the crappiest O-line in the dynasty. I do not believe the Longhorns' RB Whaley would run for 360 yards against Oklahoma with this offensive line. However, the big question is at quarterback, Redshirt Sophomore Connor Halliday is the expected starter, but there are two incoming freshman who are expected to challenge him. There may be a third QB if I can get any four star QB interested in WSU.

On the defense side of the ball, I want to say things will improve, but I doubt it. The star of the defense is the true freshman MLB Derrick Yates who recorded 43 Tackles, 11 TFLs, 5 Sacks, 2 Interceptions. The Cougs expect big things from Yates next year. The defensive line some how gets worse with all four starters graduating, and the replacements being what appears to be all freshman or sophomores.

Overall, this situation will not change overnight. When the Cougs played UCLA, I believe I could have won that game, but for some big plays by the Bruins. When the Cougs played Stanford, Stanford was just too talented for me to keep up. I need to get this program up to 4 stars to be able to start recruiting 4 and 5 star talent.

5. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Nebraska is definitely looking at a few rebuilding years, as we lose all players rated over 90 except for Taylor Martinez. HB situation isn't too bad with Robinson leaving, but at WR we're SCREWED. Our best returning receiver is rated a 74 and he's a freshman, so expect lots of running next year from the Huskers. The O-Line and D-Line is actually very young, and should be WAY better next year, which is a good thing. Our defense is looking to be much better than the offense, especially in the secondary, only PJ Smith is leaving from that group. We will be good next year, but nowhere near great, that's for sure.

6. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Expectations in Texas are always high to win Championships. Texas will reload with players from last years #1 recruiting class. The Horns' will be losing 6 offensive starters and 5 defensive starters so there will have to be some young guys step up and play big time college football.

On Offense Texas will be losing 3 yr start Garrett Gilbert(99 ovl) who has thrown for over 10,000 yrds and 90 touchdowns in his carreer. The new field general will be RS-JR Connor Wood(97 thowing power / 91 throwing accuracy). Running back will be the big question mark. Will Chris Whaley return for his senior season after getting snubbed for the heisman trophy or will he bolt for the big payday of the NFL. If he does not come back Texas is ready to throw in two more horses to run the ball. RB RS-JR Traylon Shead(6'2 220lbs/95 speed) who has seen some action this year giving Whaley some breathers will be fighting for the starting job with RS-FR J.R.Davis(6'2 211lbs/89 speed) who was the #4 running back in last years recruiting class. At wide receiver Texas will lose 2 seniors with Marquise Goodwin and Desean Hales graduating. These guys will be replaced by a stable of young wide outs. 5 sophomore's look to take their places. On the offenseive line Texas will lose its entire left side and right guard. Only center and right tackle will be returning.

There will be a lot of new faces on the defensive side of the ball as well. Texas will be losing both defensive ends. One of them being Alex Okafor(96 ovl). Two RS-Sophomores will step up to fill their shoes. Jackson Jeffcoat will finally get his chance to anchor the left side of the d-line. Moving back to the linebackers the horns' will be losing both outside linebackers. LOLB Dravannti Johnson(96 ovl) will leave a huge hole for Texas to fill. In the secondary FS Kenny Vaccaro will be the only loss. Texas started a young secondary this year with a true freshman CB & SS with a SOPH holding down the other CB spot.

There is no doubt Texas is loseing a lot of talent, but this is Texas and the next guy needs to step up and play like a champion. Because if you play at Texas that is what you are.

Texas will also think about switching up it's offensive and defensive schemes this offseason. On offense we may look to go to more of a spread offense to take advantage of the speed the Horns' will have on offense. On Defense Texas will look at switching to the multiple defense that has become popular. The 3-4 will be new to Texas but they will also be gaining the 5-2 which Texas likes to use against a running team.

Season 4 expetcation: 4th Consecutive Big XII Championship and a 3rd trip in 4 years to the BCS National Championship.

7. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

North Carolina is in a bit of a weird situation: we lose 16 seniors, many of them key contributors (obviously) but there are only 8 juniors on the roster. So with a top 12 (or so) class coming in, if we can stabilize things this year we may get off to a decent run. (Does player progression have anything to do with playing time in this game?)

The downside is that the Heels will lose almost all of their "special" talent, including the top 3 WRs, 97 rated MLB Kevin Reddick, and 96 rated DE Donte Paige Moss. The highest rated returning player is TJ Leifheit--86 OVR, a second-team All-American this year. The starting QB and RB return, so that's nice, and the offensive line should be okay. But the defense is going to be full of players rated in the mid 70s at best. Heck, this year I had two free safeties on the roster, one a true FR and the other a redshirt FR. Both were rated 58.

Our season 4 expectation? Win a bowl game.

8. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

That
    That is why I want to take on UNC, I think my team might match up evenly with yours

9. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Although I came in late in season 3, in season 4, ND is looking to regain its prestige and swagger back by landing in the top 10 and landing some notable recruits to bring them back to glory.