Season 4 Game Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Wyrmreaver, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

2. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Stanford Fails to Impress in 28-7 Win Over Colorado

Fans hoping to get a glimpse of what to expect from Stanford in year 2 of the Coach Selvy era probably didn't like what was on display. Under first year starting QB Marcus Johnson, the Cardinal offense made mistake after mistake, committing 4 turnovers (3 inside Colorado's 10 yard line) and going just 3 for 9 on 3rd downs against a Buffalo defense that should have been grossly overmatched. Fortunately, Colorado's offense was even worse, throwing 6 INTs and averaging under 3 yards a carry, helping Stanford earn an ugly W.

Johnson finished the game with just 10 completions on 19 attempts and those 3 red zone INTs. A lone bright spot was junior HB Barry Sanders, who ran for 94 yards and a score on 20 carries. Going into this season, it was thought that senior Remound Wright and Sanders might split time a little more evenly with a running QB in Johnson, but coach Selvy stayed with the hot hand in Sanders. WR Jarvis Cook caught 5 of Johnson's 10 completions, going for 93 yards and a score.

If Stanford is going to want to compete in a strong Pac 12 North division, the offense is going to have to get things together in a hurry, as a trip south to Arizona State is on deck.

3. Wyrmreaver

Army Crushes TAMU in College Station, 66-7

Obadiah Lowe was finally able to play in front of the 12th man at Kyle Field. Unfortunately for the Aggies, they overlooked the hometown hero not once, but twice. First when he was coming out of high school, then again when he exited junior college. Lowe made the most of his chance to show them what they're missing, scoring a rushing TD, a receiving TD and a punt return TD.

TAMU took the opening kickoff, marched downfield and punched in a TD to go up 7-0. Army then punted, then missed a long FG attempt and it appeared that A&M was in business. After a stop though, O-Lowe as his teammates call him, would take a screen pass and dart upfield, cut back to make one man miss then spin back outside to evade two more Aggies before being dragged down after a 46 yard gain. A couple plays later, Sophomore Johnny Patton would stare appear unfazed by the road crowd as he stared down the TAMU blitz to deliver a pass to Devon Castuje and get levelled as he let it go. Castuje would shake off the corner's feeble tackle at the sideline and trot in for a 17 yard TD to even up the score. The Black Knights would never look back.

O-Lowe finished with 387 yards from scrimmage in front of his friends and family, who attended a TAMU game in the visiting teams colors for the first time.

4. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

LSU IS BACK!!!
    Coming into the 2015 season the Tigers' faithful had no idea what to expect from new HC Heisenberg. This is what coach Heisenberg said after his team rallied to win 35-31 vs 3rd ranked Virginia. "This is the kind of effort and perseverance Death Valley, hell the WHOLE nation can expect from this team!"
    The 2013 national champions went on a 13 play drive that featured a good mix of run and pass, the drive would eventually stall and the Cavaliers had to settle for a 27 yard FG. LSU's QB Rivers would hit his #1 WR Johnson on its 1st play of the drive for 33 yards to put the Tigers in Cavs territory, a couple of Lamarr Russell runs later and the Tigers were in the Redzone to end the 1st Q.
    The 2nd quarter started the same way the 1st ended, with Russell running over Cavaliers defenders, on his way to the endzone. And this is when the fun began. Virginia's QB Watford would find his WRs for gains of 34 and 22 yards on back to back plays to set the Cavs inside the Redzone. After a sack on 2nd down which put the Cavs in 3rd and long from the 20, but that did not phase Watford as he hit his TE down the seam in TRIPLE coverage for the TD.
    The Tigers went three and out on their next drive, and with 1:04 left in the half Watford and the rest of the offense took the field to try to put more points on the board before the half. After two runs that gained a total of 2 yards Virginia would let the clock wind down to 5 seconds before running its last play. And boy was it a big play, Busch a SO CB would intercept Watford and take it back 53 yards to give the Tigers a 14-10 lead.
    LSU received the ball to start the 2nd half but they didn't have it for too long as QB Rivers threw his 1st INT of the season which Virginia's CB Burgess took back to the 1 yard line, RB Brant would punch it in on the next play. Coach Heisenberg went back to his run game that worked so well for him in the 1st half. The Tigers went 75 yards down the field, 55 of which were on the ground to take back the lead. 21-17 .Virginia's coach said what you can do I can do faster as Virginia went 73 yards for the TD in 4 plays that took just a little over a minute off the game clock.
    In the 4th quarter the Tigers would rely once again on their run game, Russell would score his 3rd TD of the game with 5:25 left in the game. This game had the feeling of whoever had the ball last was gonna win. Both teams would go 3 and out on their next drives. On 2nd and 6 Virginia's Watford hit his WR Cooper for a 74 yard TD for what seemed like the GW score. With a little over 2 min to go Russell would haul in a 62 yard pass by out jumping a safety down the sideline to give the Tigers a shot at a game tying FG or the GW TD. Coach Heisenberg gave his star in the making RB two carries and on his 2nd carry Russell would score his 4th rushing TD of the game from 9 yards out. LSU's defense would step up and stop the Cavs from converting a 4th and long to win the game.
    Player of the game: Lamarr Russell, 19 carries 96 yards 4 TD and 69 yards receiving
    Great game GMONEY 15 truly a game for the ages.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

Automatik

It was one hell of a game bro. WIN or LOSE I enjoyed it. Best of luck to you the rest of the season.

6. Wyrmreaver

Nice win Automatik

no lie, I didnt expect you to pull it out

7. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Yeah it was, losing all those seniors doesn't help. I'm just glad I was the 1st game you played with all those new guys :D. Good luck with the rest of your season man.

8. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

The way this game was being played I thought I gave GMONEY 15 way too much time after I scored my last TD, luckily my defensed stepped up and held.

It's funny you say that because I don't expect you to go undefeated this year ;).

9. Wyrmreaver

lol.... that week 3 game vs UMass should be huge for both of you

10. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Stanford Escapes Arizona State With 21-13 Win

In what can only be described as grand theft, the Stanford Cardinal had to take the back exits to get out of Sun Devil Stadium with a win.

After a scoreless first quarter that saw both teams possess the ball twice with little to show, ASU took over and drove the ball inside Stanford's 5 yard line when safety Alex Carter jumped in front of the tight end and ran 101 yards the other way for the opening score. The Sun Devils wouldn't be phased though, easily going the length of the field again. This time, ASU would keep it on the ground and D.J. Foster would punch through from 4 yards out to tie the game. Stanford would again make progress, but a failed 4th down attempt inside the ASU 40 yard line would kill any thoughts of momentum changing sidelines. The Sun Devils would take advantage of the good field position, using just 7 plays to take the lead on a 34 yard Foster run. A missed extra point, however, would make things interesting in the 2nd half.

AZ State would take the 2nd half kick and keep the script the same as the first, getting to Stanford's 10 yard line without much resistance. But lightning would strike twice for the Cardinal, as Taurean Stevenson went 97 yards with the go-ahead pick 6. Despite running 21 plays in the 3rd quarter to Stanford's 3, Arizona State would head to the 4th quarter trailing 14-13.

Stanford would finally put together a drive, and it would come at the perfect time. After ASU was forced to punt to start the 4th quarter, Stanford would chew up 3+ minutes, convert a couple of huge 3rd downs, and Barry Sanders would break through for the offense's only TD on a 20 yard run to put the Cardinal up 8. One last possession for the Sun Devils would come up empty, and one last first down run from Sanders and Stanford would come away with a big conference road win.

Stanford
    Marcus Johnson; 8 of 16, 88 yards, 1 INT
    Barry Sanders; 14 carries, 91 yards, 1 TD

ASU
    Michael Eubank; 14 of 24, 211 yards, 2 INTs
    Christian Hill; 0 of 1, 1 carry, 16 yards
    DJ Foster; 18 carries, 106 yards, 2 TDs

GG qclassic 22

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

GG Selvy9 sick is all I can say. I blew this game big time

12. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Stanford Overcomes Mistakes to Claim 28-20 Win Over Arizona

It's starting to become a troubling trend. The Cardinal offense does what it can to lose the game, but the defense does just enough to keep Stanford on the winning side of the scoreboard. QB Marcus Johnson threw two more red zone INTs, one of which was returned 97 yards, before being "injured." Backup QB Teddy Brooks threw a pick 6 of his own after being in the game all of 2 plays, and Arizona actually held a 17-14 lead heading into halftime.

That's when Coach Selvy turned it over to his senior RB and offensive line. Barry Sanders would carry the ball 7 straight times on a 3rd quarter drive that went 42 yards for the go ahead score. A fumble on the ensuing Wildcat possession, and it was more Sanders. 4 carries and a catch would put Stanford in the end zone again, going up 28-14. Arizona would get into the red zone in the 4th quarter, but after being forced to settle for a FG, Sanders and the Cardinals wouldn't allow Arizona another sniff.

Stanford
    Marcus Johnson; 5 of 9, 68 yards, 2 INTs, 5 carries, 86 yards, 1 TD
    Barry Sanders; 33 carries, 156 yards, 2 TDs, 2 catches, 18 yards, 1 TD

13. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Introducing Lamarr Russell
    Coach Heisenberg has found himself another Heisman type RB in Russell. The sophomore back ran for 201 yards and 5TDs while catching another score. With the Minutemen riding a 14 game winning coming into Death Valley, coach Heisenberg had his team more than ready to face last years BCS finalists.
    Umass led by All American QB Randy Palmer would march down the field to the LSU's 6 yard line, but a huge sack on 3rd down forced the Minutemen to settle for a FG. LSU would respond on a 8 play drive capped off by a Russell 5 yard TD. A three and out later and the Tigers had the ball again, and that's where the legend of Russell grew. With the ball on the 43 yard line, Lamarr would take the hand off and get stuffed not once but twice before tossing two defenders to the ground on route to a 57 yard TD.
    Down 14-3, Umass took the field looking to respond but on 3rd and 3 SO FS Bray intercepted the Palmer pass intended for his TE and took back 37 yards to blow the game wide open. Russell would score his 3rd TD of the half and the Tigers would not look back on their way to a 49-3 win.
    The Tigers defense played a near perfect game has they held the Minutemen to 229 yards of offense while stopping 4 of their 5 4th down attempts. Not to be outdone was the Tigers run game, as LSU ran for 250 yards(201 of those yards by Russell) and 5 TDs on 29 carries.
    Player of the game: RB Lamarr Russell, 15 carries 201 yards 5 TDs, 1 catch 21 yards 1TD

GG Five_Fifs good luck the rest of the way

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  14. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

ASU 30
    BG 15

Coach Smith gets his 1st win as Sun Devils coach against his former team Bowling Green. Both teams started out flat asdrives started out good but eventually stalled. As the 1st Qtr ended 0-0. BG would strike 1st on a 6 yard run by RB Jonathon Pierce. ASU would finally answer late in the 2nd with a 5 yard run by RB DJ Foster. It was 7-7 at halftime. The Sun Devils would get it rolling in the 2nd half outscoring the Falcons 23-8. Late in the 3rd DJ Foster would find the end zone for a 2nd time on a 7 yard rush to go up 14-7. K Roy Houston added a FG to go up 17-7 going into the 4th. Sun Devil QB Michael Eubank got his 1st TD pass of the season finding WR Dick Smith for 62 yards to go up 23-7. RB DJ Foster would add another TD this time for 3 yards out to go up 30-7. BG would add a late TD pass as QB Matt Johnson found WR Herve Coby for 75 yards. BG added a 2 pt conversion 30-15 ASU. ASU RB DJ Foster had another 100 yard game as he rushed for 138 yards on 17 carries and 3 TDs. Dropped passes was a issue as a lot of dropped passes ended drives early for ASU

15. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I'll have Cal-UVA and Army-Cal up soon - extremely busy at the beginning of this week, sorry.

16. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Introducing Lamarr Russell part deux
    The Tigers were playing their 1st game away from Death Valley vs a very dangerous ASU team that almost knocked off the 9th ranked Stanford Cardinal earlier in the season. Russell and the Tigers ran all over the Sun Devils to the tune of 300 yards and 4 TD on its way to a 38-28 victory.
    LSU's defense stopped the Sun Devils on their first drive and forced a three and out. Lamarr Russell and co took the field and marched down it with ease, the drive would end on a Lamarr Louis 1 yard TD run. ASU offense couldn't seem to figure out LSU's defense as MLB Graham picked off QB Eubank, Lamarr Russell would eventually punch it in to give the Tigers a 14-0 lead. ASU would score it's first TD on a WR screen that was executed to perfection to cut the lead to 21-7.
    LSU received the ball to start the 2nd half and Russell was just too much for the Sun Devils as he would score his 4th TD of the game on a 50 yard on the opening drive. WR D.Smith would make it interesting late in the game as he scored 2 of his 3 TDs in the 4th to cut to the lead to 10 but a failed onside all but insured the Tigers its 3rd victory of the year more than all of last year.
    Player of the game: Lamarr Russell, 30 carries 304 yards 4 TDs

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  17. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

Man Russell was too much for my defense I got a long way to go before I can compete. This game wasn't even close as the score indicated hopefully I will be ready and put up a better fight next time we play each other. GG Automatik

18. Wyrmreaver

Cal and LSU look like they are on a collision course for the natty.....

19. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

It's a long season...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  20. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

I hope so, but I'll have to get extremely lucky to have a shot at the BCS title game.

21. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

I'm really looking forward to that game

22. Wyrmreaver

Wasnt trying to sell you short brother, I was just impressed by his back to back wins over Virginia and Army. Just an early season observation on the success of those two teams..... maybe the Cal vs Stanford game will be the "true" national title game, who knows.

23. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

lol, a fair observation.

24. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I'm personally hoping for "DA SEC" part 2, where the BCSNC is just a replay of a divisional game (except I want to win both >_>)

EDIT: Summaries still coming, but I'm still stupid busy...

25. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Stanford Continues to Roll; 41-7 Over Washington

Following last week's 45-0 blowout over Washington State, the Cardinal went north to take on U Dub in Seattle. From the very first play, it was evident this was never going to be close. J Vaughters stepped in front of the first pass of the game and took it back to the house. 2 plays later, and Stanford had its 2nd INT. The visitors from California would go in to intercept Jeff Lindquist 3 more times in the game, and the rushing tandem of QB Marcus Johnson and RB Barry Sanders were too much for the Huskies, as the two would combine for 189 yards on the ground. But Johnson would manufacture all 3 of his TDs would through the air in a little over 3 quarters of work.

Stanford is starting to come together at just the right time, as a trip to Eugene to take on the #6 Oregon Ducks looms large next week.