Season 4 Position Battles

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Shaun Mason, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    How is your team shaping up?

With most of my skill position players back on offense, my real concern is tight end. I like to get big and run, so losing both tight ends and my LT is tough.

On offense I lose:
    FB Zach Boren
    WR James Jackson (PR and KR)
    TE Jake Stoneburner (he was an awesome matchup most of the time).
    TE Nic DiLillo (265 lb blocking monster)
    LT Marcus Hall

Defense is really where I am getting hit, gone are:
    LE Keith Wells
    DT John Simon (99 overall stud)
    DT Garrett Goebe
    MLB Storm Klein (who oddly enough was the second leading MLB in tackles for me)
    FS Ohrain Johnson
    SS Zach Domicone

So, my defense is going not going to be the same next year...my front 3 were pretty dominant, and losing 2/3 is going to be a challenge.

2. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

When I look at my team, I think the running back position is a question mark with the loss of Rex Burkhead, I believe just by looking at the ratings Braylon Heard will be a competent replacement; then there is the situation at wide receiver with Antonio Bell wanting to turn pro, will there be anyone to step up with the three remaining receivers being freshman or redshirt freshman. It also looks like I am losing all 1/2 of starters on the defensive line. Nebraksa is going to have to hit the recruiting trail very hard to get this program where it needs to be compete in this dynasty

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

With McCarron, Sims, Lacy (and his backup who may start a couple games) and Bell all returning along with some good TE and young receivers, Bama looks to have a good offense even with most of the O line graduating. Their replacements are capable of filling the void though.

The big news is nearly all of Bamas starting defense is leaving. Both starting corners Scott and Fitzpatrick, award winning DE Square and I believe the other DE as well. MLB Patrick is going pro, I have a capable replacement I believe. Then the DTs are leaving as well. The only people returning are my safetys and OLB. Bamas defense for the first time in 3 years may fall below an A+ rating. I do have a 5 start safety coming in and I could put CB/SS Milliner back to CB. Looks like I can manage but it will be hard without my stars.

4. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Clemson will have some new faces. Biggest question will be in the passing game as Parker is graduating. Some of the guys I've recruited are going to start to play some big minutes, so it will be interesting to see how the hold up under fire. Our offense should have more speed next year, but the running game may struggle with 3 new OLs. The defense should be stronger in the front 7, but a bit weaker in the secondary.

Clemson has finally become a big boy and received a 6th star. Hopefully the offseason will be good to the Tigers!

Starters Leaving:
    QB Kyle Parker
    HB Andre Ellington
    WR Bryce McNeal
    WR Spencer Adams
    TE Dwayne Allen
    LG, C, RG

DT Michael Chavis
    OLB Jon Willard
    MLB Corico Hawkins
    CB Xavier Brewer
    FS Rashard Hall
    SS Isaac Harris

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Starters highlighted in green.

On Offense I lose:
    -HB Edwin Baker (88 ovr)
    -HB David Spears (88 ovr)
    -HB Andre Buford (80 ovr)
    -TE Dion Sims (85 ovr)
    -LT John Deyo (93 ovr)
    -LG Ethan Ruhland (82 ovr)
    -RG Chris McDonald (86 ovr)
    -RT Zach Heuter (88 ovr)
    -K Dan Conroy (97 ovr)

As you can see I lose almost my entire offensive line my starting TE and 3 of my top 4 HBs. I have decent players replacing them but its going to take some good offseason progression for me to have any running game next season. Might even have to change play books for a season or two to put more emphasis on the passing game.

On defense I lose:
    -RE Cameron Jude (91 ovr)
    -DT Jerel Worthy (90 ovr)
    -LE Tyler Hoover (78 ovr)
    -OLB Steve Gardner (83 ovr)
    -OLB Chris Norman (89 ovr)
    -CB Mitchell White (86 ovr)

Some key losses in there, but they all have solid players replacing them so there shouldn't me much drop off. The biggest loss is probably Mitchell White, he was a very solid cover coner and the players behind him are all very young.

Key players replacing those that left on offense:
    -HB Nick Hill (79 ovr): He is a Javon Ringer reincarnate at 5'7 with great speed, accel, and agility. Hopefully the offseason is kind to his ovr rating.
    -TE Lamont Richards (70 ovr): A very good blocker but miserable at catching the ball.
    -LT Skyler Schofner (83 ovr): The sophomore should step in nicely at the LT spot after Deyo had a pretty terrible year.
    -LG Micajah Reynalds (77 ovr): Reynalds will be a senior next year, coaches expect him to hit the practice field hard in the offseason.
    -RG Travis Jackson (71 ovr): This could be a huge weakness in the oline next season.
    -RT Frank Williamson (incoming freshman): The incoming frosh might be called on to start with the departure of so many tackles over the last two seasons.

On defense:
    -RE: This spot is up for grabs. There are two ESPNU 150 DE recruits coming in as well as a couple mid 70s guys already on the roster that will compete to start and probably rotate during the season.
    -DT Anthony White (73 ovr): White will step in as the #2 DT behind Senior Dan France.
    -OLB: The two open OLB spots will be competed for by MLBs Max Bullough and Larry O'Donnell and OLBs Jerry Brown and Jeremy Gainer.
    -CB Mylan Hicks (77 ovr): He better have a good offseason, though he was solid last year despite his rating.

6. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

We lose QB Garret Gilbert and he will either be replaced by QB Sean Hines (Sophomore) who runs the option a little better, or QB Conner Wood (senior) 6'4" pocket passer.

WR we lost a ton of guys 5 of 86 ovr or higher. So well play anyone who can catch the ball. This may tip the QB choice in Hines' favor a lot more.

On the o-line we lost some guys but have a lot of depth, so Im not worried here. Once again, it depends on what approach we go at the QB position.

D-line and LB have depth, so we are good there. The secondary needs some work, and we are pretty weak at CB.

7. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

My biggets hole is quarterback, where the second highest rated QB in the country, 97ovr EJ Manuel graduated. I have 2 kids on my roster, soph David Gonzalez, who is more of a runner and true Freshman David Lucas, more of a pocket passer. I'm leaning towards Lucas, he played well this year finishing the game against NC State (Manuel missed the 2nd half).

I also lost 3 quarters of my starting secondary and my nickel back. I have 2 incoming top 5 corners, so hopefully they turnout ok, because the existing depth isn't that great. I should be ok at safety, I had 2 rsFreshmen this year that will both start and be in the mid 80's.

8. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    With the loss of 20 players rated 80 or higher Michigan will have a close eye on the following positions going into the 2013 season:

QB: Denard Robinson's graduation means Devin Gardner will be taking over the Michigan offense.
    HB: Fitz Toussaint and David Thomas will be the main ball carriers for Michigan
    WR: Jeremy Gallon and Roger Jones look to be the Michigan main targets in the passing game.
    TE: Can Brian Cobbs and possibly FB Donald Hardy handle the TE responsibilities in Ann Arbor
    G: Both positions are wide open
    DL: Young but talented players will need to step up to try and fill the shoes of former starters Craig Roh and William Campbell.
    LB: Someone will need to step up especially in the middle of LB corps
    CB: Top two players have left the program with little depth
    S: Cam Gordon is the only returning player with any experience and big shoes to fill.

Big offseason of recruiting is ahead for the Wolverines

9. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Miami will have a battle for who can suck the worst at each position

10. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Haha I'm right there with you. I might actually just see who can drink the most and slide them into the starting spot.

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm going to be right there with you. It is boom or bust for tOSU this year...I have 19 seniors starting I think, LOL

12. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Things are a little scary at UF right now too. We lost all of our starting LBs. Those guys were a huge part of our national championship run. They'll be very tough to replace.

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Heading into training camp at Auburn, there are some position battles to report. We'll see how everyone progresses during spring practice:

Quarterback
    Incumbant: Travis Estes (82 ovr)
    Challenger: Travis Williams (82 ovr)

The battle of the quarterbacks named Travis will LIKELY go to Estes with the move to a spread passing attack, but don't sleep on Williams; both quarterbacks are rated the same and Williams, while less accurate, has a stronger arm. He could step up and challenge for the job if he develops some accuracy.

Halfback
    Incumbant: Washaun Ealey (95 ovr)
    Challenger: Michael Dyer (85 ovr)

Both are seniors, and Ealey will almost certainly be the guy. Both players possess good tools despite the huge difference in overall, and the one that will see more playing time will be the one with the best hands and blitz pickup ability. I don't expect much of a contest here; Ealey looks poised to be the starter.

Fullback & Tight End: No Race
    Wide Receiver: Ratings will dictate, should follow their overall ratings closely

Offensive Line
    The only clear-cut starters on what is a pretty average offensive line are LT Alan Stanley (86 ovr), LG Jon Sullen (84 ovr), and C Shon Coleman (86 ovr). The right side of the line is wide open for ANYONE that can step up and play there.

Defensive End
    With 4 players trying out for 2 starting spots, only one is guaranteed to be on the field for the first snap of the season: LE Nosa Eguae (91 ovr). The remaining 3 are rated 81, 80, and 79, so the other starting spot is fair game.

Defensive Tackle
    Another position where the race is wide open. There are 3 players that could start, but only 2 will. Jeff Whitaker (81 ovr) and Jude Lawrence (81 ovr) look to have a slight edge over Kenneth Carter (80 ovr), but any two of the three could step up this spring and MAKE me play them.

Linbackers (4-3 Base)
    The linebacking corps is probably the unit that can see the most shuffling on the team. Between the outside and inside linebackers, there are 5 guys that look like they can garner a starting spot (rated between 77 and 83 ovr). Expect to see some position changes as we anticipate some outside backers moving inside, and vice-versa.

Cornerback: The two freshman studs from last year (Maxey & Ramsey) will start, and Jon Mincey will be the nickle corner; no race.

Free Safety
    Incumbant: Demetruce McNeal (71 ovr)
    Challengers: Gary Goddard & Anthony Cohen (Both 69 ovr)

I expect that McNeal will progress better (hopefully about 20 points!), but either of Goddard or Cohen can sneak up and take the starting role at a position that might be the easiest to show up and start at Auburn.

Strong Safety: No Race

K/P: No Race

FRESHMEN THAT COULD CONTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY
    These are the following kids that could come in and challenge for starting spots from day one:

OT Chris Slater, 5-star recruit: Slater is an awesome pass blocker, and with the new offense he could potentially start at our vacant RT spot.

ATH Paul Davis, 4-star recruit: Davis looks like he might be able to come in and start at FS for Auburn. We're going to give him a good look there this spring.

ATH Joey Reyes, 4-star recruit: Reyes is a great athlete that COULD see the field as a freshman at CB due to his man coverage ability. Of the 3, he is probably the least likely to contribute.