Season 4 Recruiting Boards/Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by makinpropel, Oct 1, 2011.

1. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

2. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Thank you sir.

3. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

2014 Available Scholarships
    School Available Scholarships[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Baylor 17[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Clemson 13[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Colorado 15[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Illinois 8[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Kansas 22[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Kentucky 12[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Michigan State 16[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Mississippi State 14[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    USF 11[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Virginia 14[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Washington State 19[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    West Virginia 14[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Tryin' my best, these tables don't work like I think they should o_O

4. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Had about 5 guys that were visiting this week commit to other schools instead of taking their damn visit. I HATE THAT SO MUCH!

5. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

At least you have schollies! I am glad Abomb posted that cause i would have went way over that puny 8. I didn't realize how young my school was.

6. areohhwhy

areohhwhy Walk On

If someone would like to donate a 4* offensive lineman, that would be greatly appreciated..

7. derek

derek Walk On

West Virginia is on the verge of a small but quality class. I managed to cover all areas of need with 2 3* and the rest 4* then added a 5* rb for good measure. I am starting to pull in top 150 cbs that can play man coverage so I can feel safe in blitzing often. Still not getting the high profile players like Id hoped for but I messed up the last part of last season and lost my bowl game so I shouldn't have expected much. Hopefully I finish off this season strong leading to interest from some big boys.

Ive managed to pull in some 2 5* receivers and a 5* rb these past 3 seasons but I need some monster lineman. It still seems like I can't get much pressure without blitzing.

8. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

Hey abom I thought I only had 13 scholarships. Eleven seniors + 2 for transfers. Let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks.

9. QBKILLAR

But on a positive note I did sign the #1 recruit in the nation. He is a RB and has a sparq rating of a 106. Very interested to see how that equates in overall ratings.

10. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

+ 1 for having 69 players on your roster

11. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

BTW, a note for everyone: You can always recruit players without offering a scholarship. I know everyone was confused when I pulled last year's #4 class out of my ass after week 5. That's because I continued to recruit and continued to try to get players to go soft to UVA, without scholarship offers. A player committing to you without an offer can be seen as a (preferred) walk-on, and if you're lucky enough to have 0 other schools pursue/offer the kid, then they may sign with you w/o a schollie. This type of recruiting doesn't go against your scholarship limit, because you never actually offer the player. These players wouldn't have played anywhere else (outside of the random grab-bag for uncommitted players that EA implemented). Again, I only count how many players you've signed DURING week 5 of the offseason recruiting, and the players only walk on after that week.

From my experience, a player will not commit to you until after week 5 of the offseason if they don't hold an offer. If you can hold on to a lead that long without offering, then you're rewarded with a walk-on, most of the time. Only making this announcement in the wake of Illinois having 8 possible schollies, and 8 filled ones. You don't have to stop recruiting altogether, Twist :p

Happy (secret) oversigning!

12. QBKILLAR

Thats dirty pool mister.....:doodie:

Just kiddin iI'll have to put that idea in my back pocket. Give me something to do anyway.

13. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah except you signed several players last offseason that several of us had offered......so you did kind of defeat the whole purpose of having scholarship limits.

14. QBKILLAR

Alpha has a good point also because I was going after a FS that you were recruiting and had visit and everything that I offered and he signed with you. So you can kind of block other schools during the year with this stratagy. We are gonna have to get a ruling on this.

15. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Well, the main reason I recruit other players without offering is to have other options if my top ones don't work out. If I miss on the top prospects, I don't see why I can't be actively recruiting a backup option so that he's ready when I'm ready to offer him. Happens in real life, when kids don't get offers from schools they really want to go to, because the program is looking at and offering better options. Still up to the kid to wait for an offer or go somewhere else.

IMO, the scholarship offer gives you enough benefit to out-recruit someone that doesn't offer, assuming you put in the right amount of time. I had been recruiting those "extra" players the entire year, while a lot of you came in late with offers. If any of you had spent as much time as I had recruiting the kids, then you would have been at the interest max level with an offer long enough to jump me. Obviously, I can't speak on how much time anyone spends on the kids, but I commonly drop 60 mins on kids late in the season, because I finish the majority of my class early on. Also, most of these incidents happened with recruits that were available to everyone for the entire season.

If we're going to change anything, we need to make sure there's some way to monitor/discipline, because if we don't allow recruiting without offers, then I'd have to check every single prospect to see if someone was recruiting them without offering (ehh.....). Just a scenario so everyone understands the issue:

UVA needs a QB for next year.
    UVA wants QB#1, the best QB in the nation, but he has to compete with 4 other schools to get him.
    UVA would take QB #2, an average local guy, if he doesn't land QB#1. UVA doesn't need to recruit against anyone to get QB#2.

Should UVA be able to recruit both players?

16. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

You can recruit whoever you want in season and until you have your scholarships filled. If you have used all your scholarships though, you should have to cease from recruiting. If you still needed to replace someone, you should have used your scholarships available to you more wisely. The whole point of scholarship limits was to limit people from cutting good players and from weakening the CPU teams. If you are still signing good players purposely just to possibly have a decent backup 3 years down the road or just to cock block someone else, you are completely negating the purpose of recruiting restrictions.

As you said, this happens in real life.....This is why I didn't care if we had recruiting restrictions or not. I didn't have a problem with recruiting how it was because it does happen at almost every single program. Ole Miss signs like 35 players a year and has to cut people all the time. It happens. However, you guys decided (you included Abom) that recruiting restrictions were necessarily. So, if we're going to do it, we need to do it right or not at all. I do understand that this would mostly be on a honor code sort of thing. We can monitor once someone is full but we can't really stop someone from keeping one spot open just to talk to 10 and try to over sign without using scholarships.

17. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

In times like this, I would love for EA to tell us how the hell recruiting works, and why kids sign at the end with no offers. My intuition says that anyone with no offers and with you as the top school will sign, which is why we see those random 2 stars at the end. This whole thing wouldn't be an issue if EA made players never sign unless they had an offer. Did Not Qualify, otherwise

But to the point, I just want a concrete law to follow. I guess "If you have used all your scholarships, you have to cease from recruiting (AKA remove all unsigned players from your board)" is the best we can come up with. Its hard, because there is so much gray area at this point, and there's no way for any one person to monitor it accurately. The whole reason I brought this issue up was because I was benefitting from it, and it wasn't a broken law. Was/Is it evil? Sure. But it has to be classified as a necessary evil, similar to redshirting true seniors. Not a broken rule, but too much trouble to monitor/punish than its worth.

P.S. As much as I do love cockblocking, I did it for a reason on the FS. I would've had 2 FSs the following year (and I do now, if you want to check), and I like developing less talented players in the system if there's room (Hence why I rarely pursue 5 stars). Once my broken-ass prestige is finally A+, I'll be able to turn 3 stars into respectable starters down the line. I'm well past the point where I recruit for need, because I deal with all of my needs at least 2 years before they happen. Neither was my motivation.

18. derek

derek Walk On

We can't redshirt seniors?

19. derek

derek Walk On

Just to get an understanding of what you guys are saying:

Abom you're saying that once you've reached your limit of recruits who have officially signed you continue to spend time on players but don't offer. Then during the offseason that player may choose to be a walk-on at your school thus you get him without using a schollie, correct?

It has always been my understanding that the only time a team gets a walk on is when they just weren't able to cover a position of need through the entire recruiting process.

20. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

You can, but that senior will necessitate an additional cut after his redshirt year, which goes against the point of scholarship reduction.

Example:
    13 Seniors, full roster, so you have 15 scholarships for the year.
    12 (RS)Seniors, and one true senior that you decide to redshirt for the year.
    You recruit all 15 spots, and are expected to make 2 cuts at the end of the year.
    12 (RS)Seniors leave the team, putting you at 58 players.
    15 recruits join the team, putting you at 73 players. You have to cut 3 instead of 2.

So not illegal, but not encouraged :)

21. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Correct, that's what I was saying/doing, but I have yet to hit my schollie limit before signing day, personally. When I say walk on, I mean the kid (who could be highly rated) still goes to your school, despite not holding an offer to go there. The walk-ons that fill your missed needs are something different, because they aren't in the recruiting pool for everyone to recruit. They also suck, for the most part.

22. derek

derek Walk On

I did it last year with a rb (redshirt a senior that is) because I had two good rbs and then nothing quality so I figured I would save one for the next season. Thats the only time. I normally come under the number of recruits Im allowed anyway. Just because I don't want to fill a future position of need with a 3* when I think that the next season I may be able to get a better quality of player. Right now Im not getting interest from a lot of top dogs so Im jusr recruiting necessaties and whatever high profile player will come. I think this year I only have 9 or 10 recruits signed.

23. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Well yeah, we all know EA has a lot of explaining to do on many different things. In another dynasty that I'm running, we were in the offseason.....Cam and I were recruiting a RB that was a new recruit in the off season. I dropped 6 topics on him every single week as did Cam. Come week 5, I am in first and had the guy visit....Cam is in 2nd or 3rd and has not had him visit. The recruit ends up signing for Cam.....Cam started screaming "OH SHIT!" in surprise when the guy signed with him. It made absolutely no sense. We all know the game is broken on many different levels, we just have to make due with what we know.

24. derek

derek Walk On

I have been in a battle with guys for a recruit and just start promising the kid as much as I can. That has worked in stealing a player at the last second. I rarely do it because it's hard to deliver on 3 promises and then they just transfer. BUT the guy you were competing against doesn't get him either. ;)
    Of cours EA makes little sense more often than not, as well

25. QBKILLAR

I've never had a guy transfer out because I lied to him yet and trust me I have lied to them....:confused:. I think if you bring in a high powered guy and use him for all he's worth he will stay with the team.

And I'm with you abom cant wait to get some presteige so I can develop these guys better. I really wish they would bring back the in season progression. I know you can still get one point here or there but if I bring in a RS Freshman QB and throw for 300 yards a game with him and rush for another 50 to 100 he should progress more than 1 overall point in a season...

I think some kind of practice mode like in Madden or NBA 2k11 would be great. Where you could practice your players and gain points to add to skills of players. You could cap it at like 3 overall points per season and they could be tight with the points allowed in a season but give us something where we could progress star players or shore up holes in our team. The programming is already there they just need to impliment it.