Season 4 - Week 2 - PSU 10 - TENN 6

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jms493, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Penn State 10
    Tennessee 6

Penn State was coming in a little un-easy on offense since their last shaky game vs BC. Going back to the olde Stanford playbook, we hoped for decent results.

The game was played in terrible rain conditions. The first half was pretty abysmal for both sides on offense only trading FGS. The half ended 3-3. Bolden threw a pick, was getting sacked and overthrowing WRs. #1 WR Wallace didn't help dropping a nice 3rd down throw.

On the start the 2nd half the Penn State offense got a break as Sophomore HB Justin Baker took Kickoff 105 yards for the score. Asking him why he decided to take that ball out he responded "I saw that the offense was struggling and I tried to spark the team with a solid return, in no way did I think I would be able to score."

Tennessee got the ball and drove down the field and stalled on 2 sacks but made up some ground on a 3rd and 31 to get within FG range. 10-6 Penn State.

Moving into the 4th quarter after both teams stalled. Penn State was driving but then Bolden got sacked for a 13 yard loss. on a LONG 3rd down from about the 35 yard line Bolden looked and looked and no one was open but there was no pressure. Bolden bolted to the right side of the field and had a clear lane to the first down, as he was hit at around the 10 yard line and was falling forward in what looks to be a first down he fumbled! The ball lay on the field like a fucking hot potato in what seemed to be like 10 secs, eventually a Volunteer picked up and Tennessee was back in business.

Tennessee would then drive the field to the red-zone. They scored on a run play but it was called back on a hold. Something Tennessee was flagged for more than once last nite. They would fail on 4th down and turnover the ball. BUT there was 1:20 secs left and they had all their time outs. Well Penn State with no ability to run went 3 and out. The attempted a pass on 3rd down and it was almost intercepted. They punted......Tennessee would then again drive down the field to about the 5 yard line. With time running down they called 2 quick no huddle runs which proved to be a mistake. On 3rd down the almost threw a pick and on 4th down they completed the pass to their TE but he was OOB in the back of the end zone.

Heart pounding finish. Tennessee just could not get they ball in the end zone at key points in the game. Both teams looks lost on offense at points. A combined 9 sacks and both teams had terrible yard per carry by their Half backs (less that 3). There were a lot of runs that were stopped dead in the backfield. GG BDSDIGITAL (kind of). It is nice to see solid defense but I think it was more of sloppy offense that contributed to the low score.

Side notes:
    #1 WR Wallace was benched after dropping his 3rd ball on a crucial 3rd down in the 3rd quarter. Marc Archer came in a took his spot and made 2 really nice catches. There is a war going on in the PSU Receiving Corps.

Achievement unlocked!
    Tire Fire Offense

Win the game without scoring an offensive touchdown and gaining less than 200 total yards.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Wow you got an achievement for that?

Yeah it was alot of fun and an epic finish. Having that td taken off the board late and being pushed back like that on that drive was a back breaker. But I had the ball inside the 5 twice, down by 4. So I have no one to blame but myself. Looking forward to another installment sometime! :)

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Me either.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

lol...ok you got me!

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I had a question. It dawned on me in the middle of our game last night.

Do you guys have a rule on switching defenders mid play? i.e. starting as a DT, and switching to the closest safety / corner on a pass play? I did this a handful of times although I was trying not to. It's a habit I guess. Was me doing that the few times I did a problem with league rules, or will I hear it from someone regarding that if I do it going forward?

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    nope no rule on that

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

As long as you don't MOVE two defenders, you're fine. For instance the other day I accidentally broke the rule because I started out as the SS one play in a game against hotrod but I thought I was the mlb. I tried to move, but noticed it was my SS moving, moved to the MLB, remembered that I couldn't move the guy I wasn't controlling, and switched back to the SS trying to rectify it which screwed up a play royally for my team. But yeah the point is, you can only move one guy before the snap, and it has to be the guy you control when the play starts.