Season 5 Previews

Discussion in 'The Flashback' started by matthew34brown, Feb 15, 2014.

1. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

(Optional)

2. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

2017 North Texas
    The Mean Green come into the 2017 season and will have to show how mean they are as they open up with 5 straight games on the road and all of their out of conference games on the road as it looks as no love was shown from the scheduling committee. Three of those games are against ranked opponents in #25 Clemson, #24 Utah. and #2 Florida. NT will play only four games at home.
    The Daniel Reid era begins in Denton as the 6'7" 248 QB takes over full time at QB. Reid played at times last season throwing for 515 yards and 7 TDs and rushing for 389 yards and adding 3 TDs. Also RB Lorenzo Heath is back for his SR season rushing for 1338 yards and 19 TDs. Heath has improved every year so that could mean big things for the Mean Green this season. WR Marcell Ateman is also a SR. Ateman caught 71 balls and had 13 TDs last year and is the main receiving threat for this offense. The O-line could be the weak link as all 5 starters graduated last year so this a new group out there with only 1 SR.

The defense is mostly in tact led by 3 SRs. Preseason All American Tevin Beanum les the team with 10.5 sacks last year and recorded 16 TFLs. MLB Xavier Phillips led the team in tackles the last 2 years and should do the same this year. CB Larry Adams who had 7 INTs last year leads the DBs. The defense also adds true FR Ray Horton at the FA position. Horton has excellent speed and ball skills. It's tough to tell where the season will end but this should be a fun team to watch

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Austin1990

Austin1990 Walk On

Ahhhhhh my bad man! The schedules dropped when hornfan passed it over and I had to re-do them from pictures he texted me. I got the games right but didn't switch some to home. I think the Clemson one was the one I missed. Sorry dude that's on me.

4. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Utah Poised For Repeat?
    Utah Looks to Defend Pac-12 Title
    [​IMG]
    Salt Lake City, UT- The first season in Salt Lake City for Coach Jenkins was a huge success with a conference title, and a victory over Ohio in the Rose Bowl. Many of the key cogs return from an offense that ranked among the top units in the country, and the defense looks to be very good up front and in the defensive backfield.

Brandon Cox returns for his senior season and second in Coach Jenkins system. His speed and accuracy are his 2 biggest assets, and the offensive attack Utah employs will allow him to take advantage of both of those. Conner Manning will be his immediate backup, and will cover mop up duty. Utah will redshirt both of the QB prospects from last season, Matt Harris and Courtney Wyatt, but one of them will see the field if Cox goes down with an injury.

Troy McCormick led the Pac-12 in rushing last season, and the 5'9 184 pound power back is again set to excel. He still isn't the fastest player on the field, but his quickness and elusiveness make him a very dangerous weapon. Richard Lee returns for his junior season, and he will be utilized quite a bit as well. Botyh RB topped the 1000 yard mark last season, and the Utah staff knows that the offense will be tough to stop if both are as effective as they were last season. Steve Ross and Damien Berry will be the guys who provide a breather for the stars after redshirting last season.

Massive 6'5" 245 pound Harrison Handley is now the leading man in the WR corps, and he's backed up by several younger players. Andy Sullivan is the #2 WR and he is a big target as well at 6'5". Peter Haley and Leroy Jones are the #3 and #4 respectively and they are more average size WR. Nick Coe showed he can be a dangerous receiver at the TE position and he is back for his sophomore season. We know from watching Utah last season that the WR aren't as big a part of the offense as they are at other schools, but the unit Utah will trot out will be dangerous when called upon.

Defensively Utah will still be the biggest defensive line in college football with 4 starters over 300 pounds. The smallest player on the DL is 6'5" 309 pound Gaius Vaenuku his bookend at LE is Sam Tevi who goes 6'5" 310 pounds, and between those 2 are 6'4" 327 pound Bruce Palmer and 6'2" 312 pound Lowell Lotulelei. That's a lot of beef for any offensive line to move around, and they should help the Utes be strong against the run.

The linebackers will be led by last season's leading tackler Filipo Mokofisi at the MLB spot. Uaea Masina and redshirt freshman Jamie Adams are the OLB. Masina is the most talented LB, and one of the better defensive players on the squad, and the 2 senior leaders will have to be on their game all season long to help the new starter get used to playing major college football every week.

Dominique Hatfield and Hipolito Corporan are the top 2 CB this coming season, and both of them saw plenty of playing time last season. The redshirt seniors are wanting to improve their draft stock and make the leap to the next level. Both of them excel in man coverage, and they will have to be excellent all season long because there is very little depth behind them. Greg Timmons and Will Stephens were brought in last season to be the next leaders of the unit, but they will both redhshirt this season.

Lee Perkins will replace last seasons starter James Irby at the free safety spot, and Anthony Kelly will finally get his chance to shine after redshirting and spending 3 seasons behind Freeman who was drafted in the second round of last April's NFL draft.

All in all Utah looks poised to make a run at defending their title, but will face some stiff competition from UCLA and what looks to be a resurgent USC team led by their new coach SunofGod5. Utah will most likely win 10 games, and anything above that would be icing on the cake. This team was ahead of schedule last season, and while that was excellent the fans won't let the coaches off the hook if they don't meet expectations this season.

• Like Like x 2
  5. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

Yeah I figured something happened in the transfer. I was messing with you

• Like Like x 1