Season 5 Recruiting

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Keller, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Ohio State

A+B+C = 16+2+0 = 18 scholarships.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think I have 19 Srs. So I have a butt ton of schollies to hand out. Good thing too because it seems like the entire nation wants to come to Oregon State!

It's going to take me a while to setup my recruiting strategy this year. I have never had this many targets since I was A&M in NCAA 2010. And recruiting has drastically changed since then.

3. Keller

I'm excited to see who I can reel in at Ohio State. I'm trying to go after guys that have me either 1 or 2 and then sprinkle in a few guys that aren't interested or are less interested. Hopefully it will net a big class for me - the Buckeyes don't have a lot of holes but I need to set this thing up so I can be successful long term as well - I can only live on what the CPU has recruited for so long.

Also, can you take a look at ATH David Dudley - he's undersized for a FB (according to our rules) but he has good blocking skills (C rbk and pbk) and B- speed and is from Ohio AND I need a FB this year. Can I recruit this guy with the intention of moving him to FB even though he's a bit out of our rules range?

[​IMG]

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    What's his carry rating?

5. Keller

He's a current recruit, not already on my roster. I have no idea what it will be but my expectation is simply on par with what you would expect for a FB. IMO he's easily a FB, he just doesn't fit our guidelines.

6. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

his block ratings and size make him a FB possibly a small tight end.... almost a H-back type...

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    That's what I'm thinking. Not really a traditional FB.

I'm willing to trade #s for speed points?

Maybe in the game. Not in real life.

8. Keller

The only reason I'm going after him, beyond the fact that the guy is probably a stud, is that hes a FB FROM OHIO, which is one of my top needs. Am I glad that the guy is athletic? Sure. Would I rather have a more traditional blocking FB, you bet. But this guy is pretty darn good and right in my back yard so I was hoping to just be able to go after him and assume that he can play FB for me.

9. Keller

I disagree to a point but I don't want to start an argument about it. IRL I feel like plenty of slower, bigger RB's convert to FB and bulk up. Probably not a guy as highly touted as this guy might be but guys do it.

Is that whats going to happen in the game? No, definitely not. But I knew it wasn't 100% cut and dry, that's why I brought it up.

10. JrRawlins

it probably depends on what you are gonna use him for.... in my view.... he definitely seems like a hybrid....

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I don't care whether you agree/disagree. Look at real life rosters for FBs, TEs and teams that use flex backs or H-backs. Actually learn something about football before you argue for a change.

I'm worried about him being abused at a traditional FB position since you have had much worse with good on-the-field success. Do you understand those concerns?

Plus, what's to stop someone else from recruiting a guy just like that with b-, B-, B- athleticism and making the same argument?

12. Keller

Yup - I acknowledge those concerns but one thing I'd like to mention is that those guys were in the same ball park athletically (about the same speed, agi etc.) IMO those guys were successful because of their speed/agility but I think you can also say I've never abused it either. I run the FB a few times a game - who I have there doesn't change that.

I don't think you'll find many other athletes with the same combination. Athletes are pretty strictly defined in game - its usually pretty obvious what position they should play. This type of player with these physical attributes and good blocking skills is pretty unique in my experience.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You can find them a bit taller and they play TEs (which the low for CPU generated TEs in this game is 6'1'' I think, maybe 6'2''). I recruited two of them at Bowling Green.

I wish I had access to the wire so that I could look at the average pass blocking abilities for FBs and TEs.

14. Keller

This guy is too short/small to play TE is he not? I can use TE's as well so if you feel that is a better spot I'll use him there instead if thats alright with you.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Like JR said, he's more of an H-back, which is where -I- would use him.

16. Keller

You're forgetting that I'm a moron when it comes to actual football. I know what an H-back is, but I don't know how they are used outside of what has already been said in this thread.

You're saying I should use him as a.... pass catching fullback... more or less? Line him up in dual back shotgun looks and such? No FB dives etc?

You're saying that theres no way I should recruit this guy, given how I play offense?

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I would use him in flex sets and bunch sets as a second TE/FB.

But yes, I think setting him back as a traditional FB is not only unrealistic, but I think it might cause problems or create an advantage. I have to think more about it and I might test it out a bit.

18. JrRawlins

basically if you lined him up as your fullback in the i-form and ran straight ahead following him into the hole..... he would get blown up about half of the time at least in a real game because he doesnt have the size to take on a linebacker consistently in the hole........ just consistently as a FB... he would be waay below average... and considering most FB's main objective is to block... his only upside would be the speed he had coming out of that position....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keller

I looked at plenty of FB's and there were guys just like David Dudley- undersized and such. I have removed him from my board - hard to pass on a need guy right in my own back yard but whatever.

Did my recruiting today and OMG. I love Ohio State.

18 Scholarships

20. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Lol what did you expect? A- team with crazy good pitches... The sun will continue to shine upon you. Part of the reason I never enjoy it when users get juggernaut programs in ODs, saps the enjoyment.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Keller

I didn't expect 5 instant commits....

22. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The really good teams always get a bunch of insta-commits.

• Like Like x 1
  23. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

Agreed.

24. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Signed my first recruit week 1. Vince Scott: A 6'5 receiver with A speed and B- route running. Not very agile, but his top end speed should allow him to stretch the field. He only has D catching, so I doubt he'll play until his sophomore or junior year.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Added two week 1 instant signings. Check out CB #14 Brandon Adams ( JrRawlins ). Holy crap! @.@​