Season 5 Spotlight & Surprises

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by IrishBearcat, Feb 19, 2012.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

[​IMG]
    SEASON 5 SPOTLIGHTS
    [​IMG]

Going to use this thread to highlight some of the twists and turns that​
    occur as the season unfolds. Feel free to hop in and add to this if you'd like!​
    I'll try something every time we advance.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    SPOTLIGHT #1: The Rise of Zona RB Clifton Hall

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ARIZONA RB CLIFTON HALL
    103 ATT 777 YDs 14 TDs 7.54 YPC

BIO: Coach BakerWildcat7 has struggled mightily since he began his tenure in Tuscon, but one of the few bright spots has been ascension of RB Clifton Hall. One of the most talented prospects in the Class of 2013, Hall was sought after by many of the top schools in the nation. During his senior season he suffered a huge setback by tearing his ACL and many of the major programs recruiting the Ohio native backed off. Coach BakerWildcat was the only school to continue to relentlessly recruit the star back, and the Wildcats were rewarded with one of the biggest commitments in the entire school's history.

Clifton has become one of the hottest names in Arizona as well as a fan favorite. It's taken him a little bit to live up to the hype due to an injury plagued career and a much maligned offensive line that Arizona has suffered from, but Hall looks like the real deal. He has Arizona on it's best start since the hiring of Coach BakerWildcat with a 3-2 record. Hall carried the team to all three victories (Utah State, Arkansas State, and UCLA) by rushing for 204 yards & 3 TDs, 146 yards & 6 TDs, and 290 yards & 5 TDs respectively. His performance has created a huge buzz for Heisman support, and many experts tab Mr. Hall as a top 3 candidate.

A true measure of Clifton Hall's success with be his ability to literally carry his team to a bowl game. The Wildcats were stunned by an underrated Syracuse team in the opener, and reigning Pac-12 champion Colorado put a 42-14 beatdown on the undermanned Arizona Squad. Three top 25 teams currently lie ahead on the schedule (Oregon State, Washington, & Utah) as well as other talented teams. Coach BakerWildcat's squad looks to be favored MAYBE in 2 games at best, but Hall's recent performance has created a lot of optimism for their chance to reach the post-season. If Tuscon will go bowling, it will be carried by the talented back.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I have to admit even I didn't expect him to put up the type of numbers that he has.... and he's added the ability to break long runs which is making him very effective..... Hopefully he keeps up this pace!

• Like Like x 1
  3. IrishBearcat

SPOTLIGHT #2: The Competitiveness of the CPU Opponents
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Heisman CPU has stained several user seasons, moreso than usual. Through 9 weeks, the CPU has beaten user opponents ELEVEN times. The CPU boasts the following victorys:

Syracuse over Arizona 46-13
    Southern Cal over California 34-27
    North Carolina 14-13 over Oregon State
    LSU over UCLA 28-15
    Lousiville over Utah 50-33
    Southern Cal over Utah 37-30
    Oregon Over Utah 37-24
    Iowa over WSU 31-17
    Baylor over WSU 33-29
    West Virginia over WSU 60-37

Why is this happening though? Sure there are some talented teams on this list, but some teams aren't much better or even worse. As human opponents, shouldn't we be doing a better job?

There are three reasons, in my opinion, why users are struggling more than usual against the CPU: Game difficulty, a lack of familiarity with starting players, and poor SR and JR classes.

Obviously Heisman difficulty is tough enough to beat any user. When you play Heisman mode and find yourself losing momentum or falling behind early it is VERY difficult to mount a comeback no matter how talented your team is compared to the opponent. Some of these teams have ELITE talent and playing on the road can make the games even tougher. I think the key is always to avoid giving away momentum, seizing momnetum early, and amassing a multi-score lead as quickly as possible.

Games during weeks 1-3 are where users have to be careful IMO. When you're breaking in new starters and players you aren't familiar with, it can be extremely tough to avoid making mistakes and even tougher to overcome them. Perhaps your QB who graduated last season could throw a perfect out route. You drop back with your new starter, throw the out, BOOM pick six! You're scrambling to seize momentum back and you lead a WR too far who is much slower than your top SR WR who graduated last season. Your punting, and now down 14!

Users expect with a new team and "improved talent" that they should obliterate the computer. Not so fast my friend. Your team may be more talented overall, but many of our teams are decorated with talened UNDER-CLASSMEN and have weak JR and SR players. Avoiding leaning heavily on under-classmen is crucial against the Heisman CPU, they simply don't play as well as veteran players even if their ratings are equal or higher.

I think it's very interesting how we've been struggling, and competitiveness from the CPU is always important IMO. Less important for us as we only play 3-5 CPU games a season, but still crucial. Can the CPU continue wreaking havoc? We'll see.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Nice write-up, but CPU hasn't been the problem for me this year. My stupid ass playcalling and going against my teams strengths, coupled with 2 INTs throw before half-time against OSU have been my worst mistakes this season. Hopefully it's just a 1 loss season and I can make it to the NC like Cal did last year. :cool:

5. IrishBearcat

Gracias. Oregon State is a talented team for sure. We're flattered you're trying to model your team after us, but nobody is better at replicating the Golden Bears than Cal themselves! Plus, how do you expect to get to a NC with a 2nd imminent loss ahead!? :)