Season 5 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Keller, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I tried this last season but no one bit besides Goose. I'll try again and see if anyone wants to talk about their teams....​

[​IMG]

QB - RS Junior Lawrence Roberts (87ovr) is a stud. 90THP 94THA. If the receivers can get open, he won't miss many throws. Backup RS Junior Clayton Bobo is a better runner than thrower but expect to see him used occasionally in games as a change of pace to the offense.

RB - RS Sophomore Steve Ewing (90ovr) is also a stud. 97spd 95acc 94agi 84btk and 93elu = devastating in this offense. I'm going to try not to milk him too much for fear he may get on a lot of award radars and go pro way too early. He is backed up by another stud, Trey Martinez (89ovr) 97spd, 99acc, 95agi, 98elu who will also return punts. 3rd on the depth chart is the still capable Josh Rosario (89ovr.) The Bucks are loaded in the backfield.

WR - Easily the biggest weakness for the Buckeyes. Led by RS Senior Devin Smith (84ovr) and RS Senior Evan Spencer (83ovr) the group is average at best. No burners and no true #1 go-to-receivers could equal bad news in tight games. OSU will have to find someone that can step up in this group.

TE - 6'6 243lb RS Senior Jeff Heuerman (84ovr) is quietly one of the best TE's in the country. 85spd 87cth, 89cit and very good blocking skills to boot. He's as complete a TE as they come and will look to be worked into the offense a lot given the apparent weak WR situation in Columbus.

OL - Senior LT Tim Thompson (91ovr), Sophomore LG James Johson (83ovr), RS Junior C Max Watson (83ovr), RS Senior RG Tommy Brown (87ovr) and Senior RT Jonathan Sutton (88ovr) will start and makeup a sound offensive line for the loaded Buckeye backfield to run behind. Should be a very stable unit.

DL - Senior LE Steven Gross (90ovr), RS Senior Michael Bennett (88ovr) and RS Senior Kenny Hayes (86ovr) make up the most experienced unit on the entire Buckeye squad. Good depth behind them could prove a winning combination for OSU's new 3-4 defense.

MLB - Junior Leslie Key (88ovr) and RS Junior Todd Conley (83ovr) start in this unit and the "key" is the do it all, athletic Leslie Key who barring injury will lead the Buckeyes in tackles this fall. Conley is more of a gap filler while Key should really be the star of the front 7.

OLB - Senior Larry Neal (87ovr) will couple with Leslie Key in passing situations due to his tremendous athleticism and in the base defense he will be flanked by RS Senior Ryan Shazier (84ovr) - both players should make a ton of plays for the Buckeye defense.

CB - RS Senior Doran Grant (88ovr) and Sophomore David Coleman (84ovr) will start for this unit. Coleman bring elite athleticism to the position so expect to see him matched up on speedsters while Grant's consistent presence should be an excellent combination in the secondary. Junior Kevin Fritz (82ovr) will play the Nickel.

FS - Junior Van Bell (86ovr) will be a key defensive component in the revamped OSU defense with his speed and cover skills. He plays like a corner that can tackle, he's pretty special.

SS - RS Senior Jeremy Cash (81ovr) is very underrated and again has key coverage skills at the safety position that the coaching staff covets. He is backed at the always important #2 SS position by RS Sophomore Tony Watkins who figures to see ample time in the Buckeyes new defense.

KR/PR - HB's Trey Martinez and Josh Rosario are excellent returners and could easily finish atop the country in return numbers.

K/P - RS Junior Isiah McCarty (95ovr) can do it all - he is backed up by K Patrick Mills (89ovr) - should be one of the best units in the Big Ten.

2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Placeholder - I should be able to get something up after 5:00.

3. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Ball State Preview​

QB -- Rod Edwards returns for his 3rd season as a starter, with Ryan Stewart as his primary backup...​

HB -- The three headed monster of Hines , the speedy scat back Williams the bruiser and Kelly the sure hadned closer... makes Ball State's backfield, solid but not spectualar.....​

WR -- Roberts is the big play threat on the outside, with Snead the solid slot WR and Hall the burner but has suspect hands.....​

TE -- Cronin is a 6'7 man-child with decent speed and solid hands.... Scott behind him is 6'5 and runs well... should be a good combination for a few years....​

OL -- Several positions are still up for grabs with this revolving door at o-line.​

DL -- Jamal Harrell starts his second season at Left end, Harrell is solid but not spectaular... with freshman Al Jefferson backing him up...... 6'8 Roman Hamby could be a dominant force in the middle of our 3-4 Mike Nelson and Matt Fox will split time at Right end....​

LB -- Sheldon Burnett is a stud at OLB, Craft is a pretty good at OLB.... at MLB the 2 seniors Depriest and Robinson are solid.... plenty of depth behind these guys with Young and Stewart ability to play anywhere......​

Secondary -- Jones and Gonzalez are the starters at safety.... ray Boyd is a starter at corner despite his speed limitations he is the best cover guy we have..... at the other corner, Joe Turner, Damien Hunter and Ryan Bracken will all split time at RCB......​

Prediction -- should be able to compete for the MAC title.... after getting curb-stomped by Alabama the Ball State team has to rebound and play well in the next several weeks...​

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Coach Hurst looks more like a professor, or even a college student than a coach.

He retains that he hasn't bought clothes for himself in several years. His hair stylist is 6-8 hours (4 if they are playing USC or Oregon that week) of pillow time from his slumber the previous night. His shoes are generally worn until they can't be worn anymore and then replaced, but he never pays more than $40 for a new pair. He views himself as simple.

Most importantly he's not the previous coach.

A little more than a year ago, Ron Hurst was sitting in the parking lot outside Doyt Perry Stadium in Bowling Green when his phone rang. He was surrounded by a group of his offensive players when he fielded the call. They were talking shop and discussing the excitement surrounding the offense after putting up gaudy numbers the previous season with what was essentially a group of freshmen. On the other end of the phone was Oregon State Athletic Director Bob De Carolis. The players all looked at each other as Coach Hurst stepped aside to take the call, they knew what was happening.

Coach Hurst's offense draws a stark contrast to the way he portrays himself. It's complex. It's fierce. It's deliberate. In the eyes of the Oregon State Athletic Department, it was thought of as something that could breathe life into their program. They were right.

After making an offer Hurst couldn't refuse, he packed his things, said goodbye to his players and headed West for Corvallis. Before he arrived, he had already spoken to star WR Obum Gwachum, who at the time was a Junior on the fence of declaring for the NFL draft. Gwachum had been labeled as an underachiever in most rights but had the physical tools to be taken in the first day of the draft at a minimum and as high as late in the 2nd round. After a half-hour conversation, Gwachum was convinced of returning for his senior season and the excitement quickly spread to the rest of the offensive players and staff.

The 2014 season brought a lot of positive things to the Beaver's program. Their first conference championship since 2000. Their second Rose Bowl win ever and their first since 1942. A slew of highly talented recruits thanks to Hurst's insatiable sale of the Beaver's program. But maybe most importantly a shift in the culture surrounding Oregon State that now has a thirst for winning.

The previous season wasn't all fun and games, however. After starting off the season 2-3 and getting their teeth kicked in by Rutgers and USC, the Beavers were left reeling with a lot of questions. "We were still searching for identity" says Coach Hurst. "We needed leaders to step up." Enter senior QB Mannifold who after the torturous defeat to the Trojans kept his offense in the locker room until almost midnight. What emerged was a focused and determined unit. RBs Walter Holden and Malcolm Agnew were able to use each other to find rhythm in the offense. A strong running game opened up a dangerous passing attack led by senior WRs Obum Gwachum and Jeff Cook and TE Travis Perry. The defense caught the fever as well, holding opponents rushing attacks in check on their way to finishing 46th in the nation in total defense. Oregon State proceeded to then rattle off 10 straight wins in route to Pasadena, CA where they crushed Big Ten champ Purdue in the Rose Bowl 34-7.

Don't start booking your flights to Pasadena just yet, Beaver fans. This season provides a whole new set of challenges. The most significant change from last year is the departure of 20 seniors that includes every single person involved in the passing game last year. The defense was a rebuilding project last year and is still an ongoing issue. Three of the starting five OL are also gone. Luckily, the only returning piece for the Beavers was last year's strong suit. RB Walter Holden looks to have a very successful junior campaign while senior speedster Malcomb Agnew will provide a dangerous change of pace for the offense.

What to watch for on offense: Different faces, familiar paces. Despite the loss of veteran playmakers at most of the skill positions, the Beavers were able to backfill those spots with talent. JUCO transfer QB Phil McConnell is more than adequate. True frosh WRs Howard Henry, Brian King and Kyle Smith are super talented athletes who have been making waves during fall camp. The loss of TE Perry, once thought of as an irreplaceable part of the team, was lessened by the arrival of true frosh Terrance Clayton. Clayton is a specimen of an athlete and has fit into the offense as if he were here all along. Together, this unit should put up great numbers but lack the consistency from last year's unresolved veterans.

The team will be great if: Newcomers become playmakers. There might not be a team in the PAC-12 that is leaning more heavily on the quick development of young talent. TE Terrance Clayton looks the part in the passing game, but can he hold off the conference's most elite pass rushers? The true frosh WR corps are great athletes, but everything else is a big question mark. Everyone recognizes that the chemistry needs some time to come together, but all bets are off when you try and guess when it might happen.

This season will be a success if: OSU can stay within a game of the conference championship. Yes they won it last year, but that was last year. Everyone got better and the Beavers got younger. The power running game will get them most of the way there, but outside of that you are asking on a bunch of unknowns to carry your success.

Recruiting: Last year's class was a huge success and something Oregon State has not seen since 2009 or so. The class featured 8 guys that resided in the ESPNU150 rankings. Twelve kids from this class will break the two-deep and four will start. From all indications, the current class will be even better. The coaching staff are hard at work garnering the interest of some of the nation's top talent. The Beavers currently have two committed prospects, 1 of which is ranked in the ESPNU150.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    A lot of us had new teams last year with nothing to really write about.

6. Keller

I have a new team this year - didn't stop me.

Just trying to start some chatter is all.

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You can see the wire from work. I have to know my team off the top of my head to do a write up.

Plus, you don't know what they did last year and have no connection to the recruiting class. So basically the only thing you can do is a positional breakdown like you did.

On a related note, I would kill for your secondary.

8. Keller

They're not too shabby.

I like that both of my safeties can cover like corners - the additional flexibility I have with secondary should be fun.