Season 5, Week 5: Game of the Week

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by PAgamer07, Jan 11, 2011.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

This week, we turn our attention the Big Ten. As AJ's Penn State Nittany Lions invade the Horseshoe to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes.
    [​IMG]
    Conference play opens this week in the Big Ten in a HUGE matchup.
    [​IMG]
    1-2 (0-0)
    Wow. If you would have told me an AJH coached school would be 1-2 to start the year, I would have told you to lay down the pipe. It's true. A tough loss in LSU and another loss against Oklahoma have led to a lot of questions in this hire.
    Can Penn State win this game? Well they need to focus on what they do well and that is run the damn ball. They have two very good backs in HB Silas Redd and Ryan Logan, and each of these guys can carry a team. AJ himself said it best interviewed before the game, "On offense, it's such a chore trying to pass because my WR's just can't create any sort of seperation. We have some good backs so hopefully I can control the clock and give me a chance to win it late."
    You nailed it my friend. This Ohio State secondary is pretty good and you won't be able to move the ball through the air. Even though QB Terry Mayes is one of the best QB in the conference, he still needs some targets. It's possible we see the team going to the backs and Tight Ends more, but it's hard with the offensive coordinator they have.
    On the defensive side of the ball, they have a fantastic front seven led by MLB Kharii Fort. It's going to be tough for Ohio State to move the ball against this defense, so expect them to test the secondary.
    For Penn State to win, they have to keep the game close and not force anything. They can't let the Ohio State crowd rattle them and they have to stay on schedule. They could really use a big play on special teams to tip the balance.
    [​IMG]
    3-0 (0-0)
    Fucking Ohio State. I hate them in real life, and now I am starting to hate them here. They won the last National Championship, with a destruction of Miami and nearly won the previous year but were beaten by a very good Florida Gator team.
    The good news for Ohio State haters everywhere is that this team is a little younger and less experienced than last year's squad. QB Craig Watson is one of those guys. He's thrown 6 interceptions to 6 TD. In addition Roderic Smith has taken over the HB duties, and he is nowhere near the back that Jamaal Berry was. Thankfully for Shaun, his offensive line is still one of the best in the country.
    On defense, they have an excellent linebacking corps led by MLB Michael Jones, a Redshirt Sophmore with tons of ability. And they have a tandem of great cornerbacks.
    Coach Shaun Mason is a very modest coach, never complimenting his stick skills and always crediting scheme, or strategy or some other bullshit. The fact remains he's been to two National Championship games in a row, and is again the favorite in the Big Ten.
    For the Buckeyes to win, they need to force Penn State to throw the ball. As mentioned above the Penn State passing attack is mediocre at best. Keep them in 3rd and longs, let the crowd get crazy, and make them force throws into this excellent secondary.
    *EDITOR'S NOTE*
    Roderic Smith is injured for the year and who starts this game is a game time decision.
    Prediction:
    Ohio State (-7)
    Unfortunately for all of us Buckeye haters this isn't the year they lose the Big Ten. Michigan is barely around, and Michigan State coaches are blaming everyone but their own execution. Right now Penn State is their only real competition, but the Nittany Lion attack isn't balanced at all. They have a great defense, but on the road they will need more than this.​
    Ohio State will win this game in the 2nd half as their big offensive line wears down the Nittany Lion defense and the big plays happen.​
    Final Score: Ohio State 28, Penn State 20

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Nicely done Pa. It's always tough to write up your own games though. Couple corrections:

1 - OSU has made it to the past 2 BCS championships but only won 1. They lost two years ago to one of the best teams the experience has ever seen :)

2 - In your favor, HB Roderic Smith went down for the season last week. Who's in charge of making PSU's gameplans anyways?

And since this may be your first time playing Shaun, here's a tip. He doesn't play like most people. He'll user the DT majority of the time and he's pretty damn good with him. If only EA let you call for blocking double teams.....

3. PAgamer07

Crap, I missed the injury to Smith. That definately favors AJ. And yes, I forgot that you beat them. Not sure how I could because when I got here, every post was a reminder :p

And AJ runs the LSU playbook. I use it and there arent many routes designed to backs or tight ends. I love Miami's for that.

4. PAgamer07

There... Made some corrections ;)

5. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Just to clarify gators, Pa is LSU and AJ is Penn State.

I'm interested to see how this game goes. I see Penn State as a sleeping giant in this dynasty and its always interesting when the upstart plays the reigning champs.

6. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Definitely a measuring stick game for PSU. He is up against a very talented squad, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. User games can be a lot different than games vs the cpu so maybe PSU can turn over a new leaf.

But I don't think that will happen in this game as I'm giving the advantage to OSU with the home field.

7. GoGators

My bad, I know Pa is LSU.....the avatars screw me up. I see PSU and think it's AJ.

I think the buckeyes win this one too. If you want to find out how run heavy teams do against the chestnuts, ask Suge. You gotta be able to sling it to beat the hairless nuts.

8. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Wow Pa, really taking some shots at me.. lol I deserve it though since I'm sitting at 1-2.

Believe me, I've tried to run but have had minimal success so far. It doesn't mean I won't against OSU but I'll have to do both to win. I've always prided myself on being able to pass the ball so I will at the very least attempt to do so, I can guarantee you that. I mean, I have a 99 overall QB.. I'd be an idiot to not throw it, right?? I guess that can get me in trouble sometimes but I'm a stubborn SOB.

I think it's going to be a great barometer to as where this Penn St program is at. I always think I can beat anyone but this is surely a different animal. The defending champs on their turf.. Can't wait to play it though, it seems as if I'm usually a favorite when playing user games so this is going to be fun coming in a big underdog. All the pressure is on those Buckeyes :D

9. AJ Hart MN

I'll tell you this. If I can play like I did against OU for the first 2-1/2 quarters, we win this game! Then again, if I play like I did the last 1-1/2 quarters, I will get beat by 30+..

10. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The thng I've learned about playing guys in this OD is you can't afford to give up the big play and that damn wideout can flat out pick 'em up & put 'em down. Smith being inured may mean a little but Shaun always seems to roll out some SOB to take the place. Good luck and kick his ass Sea Bass!

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I have a feeling I am going to get my ass kicked. I am 0-2 in my last 2 user games.

12. PAgamer07

This one is in the books. Penn State pulls off the upset in Columbus 31-30.

How did Penn State win:

• Pressuring the QB. I mentioned that Penn State had a good front 7. I didn't realize how good until I saw how well they mandhandled the Buckeyes offensive line. 4 sacks (2 by CJ Olaniyan) and tons of pressure. This pressure accounted for 2 interceptions of inexperienced QB Craig Watson.
    • Bend but don't break defense. Ohio State had several drives stall in Penn State territory. The Nittany Lions forced Field Goals of 55, 44, and 25 yards. Even though they gave up over 500 yards of offense, somehow they kept the Buckeyes out of the endzone.
    • Rush defense. Without Roderic Smith, this didn't look like the same team. HB Ross Hunter got the majority of the carries, and although Ohio State was patient and continued to give him the ball he only had 89 yards on 20 carries. His biggest run was 21 yards. This forced Craig Watson to throw the ball more than they wanted (28 times).
    • WR Ronnie Williams and WR Jay Roberts. The biggest surprise of the whole day in my opionion. Two WR rated less than 80 had a combined 225 yards receiving on 11 catches with 3 TD. Whatever scheme the Nittany Lions used today worked to perfection.
    • Clutch Play. Penn State was 29% on 3rd downs. Ohio State was 56%. It's obvious that those conversions came at big times in the game. And then, down by 6 points with 1:13 on the clock, Penn State methodically drove down the field, and would hit Jay Roberts with the go ahead score with 22 seconds left on the clock. This was a defining drive for QB Terry Mayes, who will certainly get another look by NFL scouts.

13. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Wow o wow. Power shift in the Big Ten?

14. GoGators

[​IMG]

Congrats AJ!!! I think that's only Shaun's 3rd or 4th loss in this dynasty.

15. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Wow, what am I missing in The E !!!

Congrats on the win @AJH

16. PAgamer07

17. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Fixed it. Besides, I'm still proud of you.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It was a good win by AJ. I learned something from the loss, mainly this:

When there is this combination:
    1. 1:30 left in the 4th quarter.
    2. I have a < 4 point lead.
    3. My opponent has no timeouts.
    4. It is 4th and 1 inside the 10 yard line.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER again kick a field goal to go up by less than a touchdown. I did in this game trying to "be fair" and despite my defense playing pretty well all game, AJ engineers a 90+ yard < 1 minute touchdown drive.

--

Aside from that blunder, I threw one really bad interception where I made up my mind before the snap and was wrong, and had a BS interception by a DT or DE inside the red zone.

Anyway, it does me good to lose sometime. Sometimes I get bored and need something to motivate me to win.:)

19. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Ya, 1 yard to win or risk a John Elway comeback. I've got no problem with someone going for it in that situation.

Good win tho AJ! Glad to see someone knock off one of the big guys lol.

20. AJ Hart MN

Yea, you guys don't need to be nice, I can handle the loss. I was shocked when he kicked the FG but it's live and learn I guess.

21. GoGators

Yeah, that's what's bullshit about this game. I lost to Bondzai in the deuce this way too. I think he only had 45 seconds left though. EA really needs to implement a time run off even for no huddle teams if they're going to keep the programming that allows them to get to the LOS so quick. A guy can be 60 yards down field and it would only take him 4 seconds to get back, setup, get the play, and be ready to go. It's horrendous.

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Sometimes you have to get kicked in the nuts to learn, ya know. I just wanted to make sure I didn't hear "OMFG, the commish is a cheezer!! He should have kicked a FG!!"

LOL

23. GoGators

I hear ya. That's the biggest dilemma I think we face at this site. When you break it down to brass tacks, at the end of the day we're trying to make a sim football experience out of an arcade game. In the end someone always gets screwed.

24. PAgamer07

You wont have to worry about that next year commish. I had the same issue until I played my guys at least once.

25. AJ Hart MN

I agree but I also was victim of the same thing at the end of the 1st half. He went 80 yards on 4 plays in 25 seconds..