Season 6 Game Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Abominatrix, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Bears Escape Death Valley, Down Tigers 45-38

After the previous year's huge BCSNC controversy, the season opener between two teams that hadn't lost a game since their last BCSNC win generated a world of buzz. There was no way to tell who would've won the game between the 2016 edition of the Bears and the Tigers - so a top 3 matchup between the two squads to kick off the 2017 season had to do. The Bears needed to find another answer at QB due to the departure of the NCAA's career leader in passer efficiency, Zach Kline. The Tigers could fall back on the unlikely return of Heisman winner LaMarr Russell. The night crowd at Tiger Stadium was rocking hours before the scheduled kickoff.

The Bears won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. Surprisingly, LSU went with the young gun QB Jeremy Ervin over other talented signal callers, and what a stage for him to make his debut. His first college drive consisted of two impressive 3rd down conversions through the air, and a steady diet of HB Russell led the Tigers all the way down the field for a TD. Cal QB Michael Jones (Who?) also began his first significant drive as the lead QB for the Bears. The Bears came in with a gameplan that showed confidence in their new signal caller, despite the extremely difficult environment. QB Jones started off with 4 straight completions, ending the drive with a 23 yard TD to WR Davis. The crowd settled down a bit, knowing that they were in for a game. Of course, the LSU offense didn't want that to happen, so they responded on the first play of their next drive with a crisp post from QB Ervin to star WR Fulton. Fulton snaked his way through two Cal defenders on his way to a 46 yard TD reception. The crowd erupted once more. The Bears offense knew that they had to keep it close to stand a chance, so they began a balanced drive to end the 1st. 14-7 LSU.

California got all the way down into the red zone, but a coverage sack halted their progress on 3rd down, and they were forced to kick a FG. The Tigers fed HB Russell more on the next drive, but the Cal run defense stepped up in a big way, forcing a 3rd and long that wasn't converted. A brief moment of excitement enveloped the crowd as WR Washington muffed the punt as a LSU gunner was closing in, but Cal CB Hudson scooped it up and bailed out of bounds. The Bears began their next drive with a couple of runs, but QB Jones made the first mistake of his starting career when he tried to lead his overmatched TE Johnson over a seemingly beat FS Chambers. Chambers recovered with plenty of time to step underneath the fade and grab a pick. LSU started running the ball with moderate success from there, but Ervin had two straight incompletions and LSU was forced to settle for a FG - a small victory for the Bears defense. With 1:24 left in the half, the Bears tried to make something happen. After a few passes, the Bears found themselves around midfield after coming 1 yard short of a 3rd down conversion. LSU called a timeout with 41 seconds on the clock, but the Bears sent their offense back on the field after the break. California got a taste of SEC SPEED when SS Williams looped inside the line and flattened QB Jones for a crucial turnover. LSU pounded the ball some more, expecting to end the half with some more points, but they, too, were faced with an aggressive situation. The Tigers found themselves on the 3 yard line in a 3rd and 1 and only 7 seconds left, with 0 timeouts. LSU sent their offense on the field and attempted a FB dive. After a scrum, FB Lumpkin pounded his way through...for a 2 yard gain. LSU tried to hurry to the line, but time expired as they were getting ready to snap the ball. The Cal defenders immediately sprinted off the field to avoid any confusion. 17-10 LSU.

Cal came out of the half...like they always do. The Bears adjusted with a 4 WR set up to start the last half, and QB Jones masterfully guided the ball to different receivers as the Bears moved down the field. After a huge 3rd and long conversion from the 19 yard line, HB Wallace sprinted around the left edge for a Cal TD. LSU responded in kind with a couple of huge plays, but QB Ervin made HIS first mistake as the starter. QB Ervin motioned HB Russell out to the left flank, and FS Barrow didn't budge from his box spot. However, he was still in deep coverage, and sprinted out to the streaking Russell as soon as he read pass. QB Ervin didn't put enough air under it, and Barrow stepped underneath for an interception. The Bears came out swinging after that, as QB Jones led his team down the field for another Cal TD. Feeling the momentum, the Bears defense came out swinging, as well, forcing a 3 and out on the next Tiger drive. QB Jones came out with a new found confidence, and took his team down the field once again for a TD, this time with 2 huge passing plays down the middle of the field. The momentum swung back a bit when QB Ervin took matters into his own hands with a huge, 46 yard option run (that would've been a TD were it not for a tackle from FS Barrow). LSU answered the Cal flurry with a TD drive of their own, ending with a 6 yard TD reception by HB Russell. 31-24 Cal.

The Tigers defense needed to make a statement on the next Cal drive, and they did just that. Facing 3rd and long, DT Johnson (all 58 speed and 64 agility of him >_>) ran a circle around LG Jansen and sacked QB Jones to ignite the crowd. LSU kept the momentum reversal when QB Ervin hit TE Heinz on a deep corner against an overmatched MLB Davis for a beautiful TD. However, all of that momentum was stolen back immediately when WR Inman bodied out the LSU corner in 0 man coverage on a flag route. After making the over-the-shoulder catch, Inman sprinted downfield, getting enough separation to complete the 75 yard TD reception. LSU knew they needed to stick around, so they went to their star HB. He had trouble getting going on the next drive, but QB Ervin bailed him out on a couple of huge passing plays. HB Russell got into space on a counter, gaining the edge and smoking FS Barrow on a nice juke move to break the plane and score a 17 yard TD, tying the game up late. Everyone expected the Bears to grind out some clock on the next drive, but Coach Natrix kept the ball in his QB's hands. He did start off with an incompletion, but responded with an 11 yard dumpoff to convert. Then amazing happened.

On what seemed like a routine 2 verts (from twins) against Cover 3, QB Jones threw up a bomb to WR Davis. The outside corner did keep his eyes on the QB and broke in to make the hit, while the FS took a bad angle to step in front. Davis leapt up to make the catch, absorbed the hit from the outside corner while holding onto the ball with one hand, found his bearings and sprinted into the endzone for a backbreaking 64 yard TD reception, giving Cal a 7 point lead.

QB Ervin had just under 3 minutes to respond, and the subsequent drive started out with a couple of intermediate completions. In what was a terrific showing of PAC-12 SPEED (took about 5 seconds, holy crap) (RS)Freshman DE Schroeder got the edge on the left tackle and jarred the ball loose from QB Ervin. DE Weaver fell on top of it for a crucial late-game turnover. The LSU defense needed to get a 3 and out to stay in the game, but a man-sized effort from HB Wallace converted a 2nd and 5 with a couple of broken tackles, ending the game. 45-38 Cal.

QB Jones: 24/29, 493 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT
    HB Wallace: 14 att, 78 yards, 1 TD, 3 rec, 22 yards
    WR Davis: 7 rec, 193 yards, 2 TDs

QB Ervin: 13/23, 260 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 74 yards rushing
    HB Russell: 20 att, 125 yards, 2 TDs, 1 rec, 6 rec yards, 1 rec TD
    WR Fulton: 3 rec, 80 yards, 1 TD

GG Automatik, though I am disappointed about WR #11 on your team dropping everything. His dropped TD (I forget when it happened @_@) was the difference in the game.

I didn't realize this was so long, oops :p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

Looks like it was a good battle. Both teams making big plays. One heck of a job fellas to open up season #6 with a ESPN Classic.

3. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Coach Wolf's Corner

I loved my kids at NIU but I needed a change of scenery. A change in competition. Be careful what you wish for as they say.

I went for the D Coordiator job at Colorado since that was the best job available to me at the time. Not having control over the whole team is not fun at all. Evidenced by my week one game against #21 Stanford.

I do think that our defense surprised Stanford. Maybe judging by tapes of old NIU games, they didn't expect me to be as aggressive. We were able to jump out to a 7-0 lead thx to our ability to stop them on the first two drives. But the offense stalled and unfortunately, so did our defense. We were still up 7-3 mid way through the second when Stanford QB T. Brooks noticed a flaw in our defense and he heaved a deep pass that went for 7. Stanford didn't look back after that.

This game was about great quarterback play though. T. Brooks for Stanford converted time and time again and not only that; but he kept quite a few plays alive with his feet. Not happy feet, he only took off 4 times when pressured. He stayed in the pocket often and moved just enough to make the accurate pass.

We lost 32-15. I called a good game for the most part but two deep passes that went for two touchdown's did us in. Those are on me; bad play calling. Stanford scored 19 fourth quarter points.

T. Brooks was great. 22-30, 342 yards, 2 TD's. The redzone killed us. 6 times in with just 2 TD's to show for it. I have no control over that.

Gonna be a long season. We ain't in Illinois anymore!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Awesome recap.
    Yeah, Thomas(#11) dropped the TD with about 30 secs left before the half and then after he dropped another wide open pass I couldn't take it anymore lol.

I had my opportunities to win this game but I was unable to slow down your high powered offense(493 yards:eek:through the air).
    GG Abominatrix

5. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Yeah being a DC can be extremely frustrating, when I was DC at Oregon my offense would struggle to put up 20 points a game.

6. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Looks like at least one user was paying attention to how Army exposed the LSU secondary in the NC game...... Sounds like you guys had a good one!

7. Five_Fifs

Five_Fifs Walk On

MINUTEMEN DEFENSE HOLDS STRONG AGAINST SUN DEVIL RALLY

Brooks lead the charge against Arizona State, collecting five tackles and three sacks on the day. Senior middle linebacker Tra Romero gathered two sacks as well.
    In the first half, the Minutemen executed flawlessly, both offensively and defensively. On their only two offensive possessions the Minutemen drove the length of the field both times for touchdowns. The ground game looked as good as it ever has in Coach Franklin's tenure with senior Josh Leonard carrying the load and running predominantly behind seniors Lance Young and Jon Sowell on the left side. Sophomore Jeremy Holland was efficient and methodical in the first start of his career, throwing for a touchdown and running for another. He would finish the game 8 for 15 passing for a modest 91 yards and a few good runs.

However, the day's headlines would come from the defense. After staking a 14-3 lead in the first half, the Minutemen offense went cold to open up the second half---the same time the Sun Devils began to warm up. Then after intercepting a deep pass attempt by Holland, the Sun Devils worked their way all the way down field behind some timely passing by Dedrick Lee and, more importantly, the gritty running of Chris Beck. The soon found themselves 3rd and goal a few inches out from making the game 14-9 pending a conversion attempt. A momentum turning touchdown score felt imminent. But immimence is not what victories are made of.

The 'Dont' Score, Don't Win" motto manifested itself as Brooks and senior defensive tackle Adrian Poole stoned walled the Arizona State offensive line's initial push as senior Shaun Spurlock shot into the back field and tackled Beck for a loss. The frustrated Sun Devils and their no-longer raucous sellout opening game crowd had to settle for a field goal and a 14-6 deficit.

The score remained that way going into the fourth quarter when the defese again would have to rise up to an imminent challenge. Lee and the Sun Devils 'resiliency finally broke through with a 21 yard touchdown connection between Lee to Oliver Marshall to bring the Sun Devils within a two-point conversion of tying the game. But on the conversion attempt, senior strong safety blitzed off the edge of the right tackle to sack Lee, keeping the margin at two.

The Minutemen were unable to fully run out the clock, leaving the Sun Devils with just under two minutes to cover roughly 30 yards to get into field goal territory. However, yet another senior defender was able to step up and seal the victory, as Roderick Cox intercepted Lee to clinch the game.

And just for the record, @Q CLASSIC22 and I played twice. First game, he had me down 21-7. His halfback Beck was absolutely killing me. I imagine he had at least 150 yards, most of them coming in the first half. But I changed some things second half, my back up QB found his rhythm after my starter got knocked out early and with just under two minutes i was inside the 10 yard line looking to finish off the job.And then boom, game disconnects. We ran it back and this was the result

8. GMONEY 15

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Virginia 38
    UMASS 20

The ESPN game day crew was live in Amherst MA as #3 Virginia began their season with a hard fought 38-20 road win against a game UMASS squad. The crowd was in a Frenzy before the opening kickoff and this game was a knock down drag out fight. Joe Parrish was making his first start of his career as he was a back up the last 2 years. Parrish found John Summers on a 10 yard strike to give Virginia a 7-0 lead and that's how the first QTR would end.

In QTR #2 Virginia would strike again as JR RB Mike Golden ( making his first start at RB ) bounced and diced his way for a 21 yard scamper to give the Cavs a 14-0 lead as the crowd seemed to get mighty quiet. 2 minutes later, Willie Arnold hit a 47 yd FG as Virginia went up 17-0. UMASS had a great drive downfield and they scored a TD as Jeremy Holland hit Chris Mccall on a 38 yard strike as the Minutemen cut the Virginia lead to 17-7 and the crowd was going crazy. During the TV timeout, Wally the UMASS Mascot went to the 50 yard line and was pumping up the crowd and when the ESPN telecast continued, they were indeed in a frenzy. Parrish then drove Virginia down field with great poise as with 15 seconds left in the first half hit Summers once again, this time from 26 yards out to give Virginia a 24-7 half time lead.

Virginia received the 2nd half kickoff and the Minutemen defense was up to the challenge and they forced a Virginia TO and they capitalized as Holland called his own number and snuck it n from a yard out to make it a 24-14 lead. Then a "FUNKY SQUIB" kickoff by UMASS had Virginia pinned on their own 11 yard line. UMASS stuffed the run on the first play. On 2nd down Parrish stayed calm in the pocket on yet another UMASS blitz. As he was getting hit, he found Carl Harris across the middle and hit him in stride and then Harris did the rest by out running the Minutemen secondary for a 89 yard backbreaking play that put the Cavs up 31-14 and that's how the 3rd period ended.

The 4th QTR began with UMASS once again driving down the field as Holland hit Sam Davis from 14 yards out. However FR kicker Lamar Willis missed to extra point and the score was 31-20 and once again the sellout crowd of over 65,000 had something to Cheer about. Parrish and his Cavs came right back as less then 2 minutes later back up RB Kevin Gold went off tackle on the 7 hold and ripped a 61 yard TD run to complete the scoring and gave Virginia a hard fought 38-20 win over UMASS. gg to UMASS and their coaching staff. Five_Fifs

They gave the POG to WR John Summers as he had 3 rec 79 yards and 2 td's. However my POG went to UMASS SR TE #83 Mr. Chris McCall. He had a game high 8 rec for 178 yards and a TD. At 6'5" 257 ILBs with 88 speed, he seemed at times was a grown ASS man playing against boys.

80​
    John Summers...3 rec 79 yards 2 td's
    Wide Receiver | Balanced

[​IMG]
    Home Mantua, VA
    Height 6-4
    Weight 211
    Year Senior (R)
    Overall 85

Chris McCall...8 rec 178 yards 1td
    Tight End | Blocking

[​IMG]
    Home Hackensack, NJ
    Height 6-5
    Weight 257
    Year Senior
    Overall 87

• Like Like x 2
  9. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Buffalo Offense Extinct, California Rolls 52-3

The Buffs won the toss and elected to defer to the 2nd half. Cal started the day with a 10 yard run, which set the tone for the rest of the game. The play immediately after was an out to WR Davis, who got enough separation on the route to find space. In that space, he juked CB McAfee enough to power through an arm tackle and sprinted past SS Rucker, despite everyone in the stadium thinking he had the angle. Buffs QB Woodard came out on the following drive to try to keep Colorado in the game, but he started off what would be a horrible day with a bad incompletion on 3rd and long. The Bears came out swinging with their balanced attack, carried throughout the day by a significant talent advantage. Seemingly every play the OC called went for at least 5 yards, and every drive on the day but one went for a TD. The one outlier was a 49-yard FG after a determined sack from DT Williams.

Colorado, on the other hand, had every drive end in nothing except for one. After a defensive breakdown saw TE Bean get loose deep in the secondary, the Bears defense had to step up in their half of the field to force a FG at the beginning of the 2nd. Otherwise, the Bears backers and secondary were covering all of QB Woodard's options, while the D line got consistent pressure all day. The Cal D forced 4 interceptions on the day, and it could've been worse were it not for some stone hands from the interior LBs. The Buffs ended the game with a paltry 7 yards on the ground, and QB Woodard only completed 41% of his passes - making for a team total offense of under 200. After the first half and a series, the Cal run game pounded away into loaded boxes so that both teams could call it a day. 52-3 Cal.

QB Jones: 8/13, 155 yards, 3 TDs, 7 att, -11 yards
    HB Wallace: 14 att, 103 yards, 1 TD, 1 rec, 6 rec yards
    WR Higdon: 4 rec, 62 yards, 2 TDs

QB Woodard: 13/32, 189 yards, 4 INTs
    HB Weber: 9 att, 24 yards
    TE Bean: 5 rec, 111 yards

GG Jamie, I know it's hard enough coming into a BCS conference with a weaker team - let alone with no game-time practice with your own offense! I was looking for open guys when I was on defense, and they were hard to find, but I know you'll get it going soon enough. If you decide to stay in the Pac-12 (plzplzplzplz).

10. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

I was clearly just out gunned. I was calling good defenses but your O-line pushed me around all day and blocked everyone whenever I blitzed. GG Abominatrix

11. GMONEY 15

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Virginia 27
    LSU 10

For the 2nd consecutive Saturday, The Virginia Cavaliers found themselves involved in the ESPN Saturday game of the week. This week it was the Cavs home opener as they welcomed #8 and defending National Champion LSU Tigers to Scott stadium in downtown Charlottesville. The ESPN game day crew has been on Campus since Thursday and the game was a sell out after only 4 hours of tickets going on sale for the student population. A new record crowd of 71,235 was on hand for this match up of 2 top 10 teams.

Virginia wins the toss and elected to defer and play D. After forcing a LSU punt on their first possession, the Cavs went to work. They drove down the field and scored when Joe Parrish found Carl Harris from 36 yards out to make it a 7-0 Virginia lead. That's how the 1st QTR would end. After each defense forced a punt. Virginia would drive once again and go out 14-0 when FB Daniel Brandt bullied his way to the end zone from 3 yards out. The crowd was going ballistic as you couldn't hear your own voice during the TV time out. Then LSU got rolling. Jeremy Ervin called his own number as he did a crafty read option run and went untouched from 27 yards out. You could hear coach Automatik say touch down ;) when Ervin as at the 10 yardline. That's how large the hole was as the offensive line just buried the right side of the Virginia D. That made it a 14-7 game with 2:32 left in the 2nd QTR. Virginia got the ball back and Parrish went to work. He led a masterful drive on which the run and the short passing game was being used. With 25 seconds left in the 2nd QTR, Mike Golden goes off the 7 hole as VA called 47 power and ripped off a 25 yard yard run and VA went into half time with a 21-7 lead and the crowd was going wild.

Virginia receives the 2nd half kickoff and Parrish made his one and only mistake of the game. He tried to surprise LSU and throw a deep ball on the first play of the 3rd QTR. LSU was not fooled at all as JR CB Leon McKenzie was there to pick off the pass and LSU had the ball back that quick. The Tigers would get a few first downs and then the Cavs defense stepped up to the plate and held them on 3rd down. That forced LSU to kick a long 46 yard FG and DJ Blair splits the upright to take it a 21-10 ballgame. That was a big stop by the Cavs defense. Virginia took the kickoff and drove down the field once again using a heavy dose of Golden and the short passing game and had first a goal inside the LSU 9. The Tigers defense would step up big time as Virginia tried to muscle Brandt from the 2 yard line and stuffed him inside the 1 yard line. It was decision time for coach GMONEY. It was a no brainier as he sent Willie Arnold on the field to kick a short 17 yard FG to give the Cavs a 24-10 lead. That's how the 3rd QTR would end. LSU had the ball in the 4th QTR and was moving down the field with a good dose of Russell and the good passes by Ervin. LSU was inside the Virginia red zone and then Ervin made his first costly mistake of the night. A bad pass right into the hands of FR back up LB Seth Lewis. LSU once again stepped up and forced another Cavalier punt. Bieng down 2 td's and forced to pass the ball Ervin threw his 2nd pick of the game. This time it was JR ALL ACC CB Shawn Walker with the pic. Arnold would add another FG, this time from 49 yards out to complete the scoring as Virginia wins the game 27-10.

The POG was awarded to JR K Willie Arnold for 2-2 FG and 3 extra points. However, coach GMONEY also gave out 2 game balls. 1 ball went to SR QB Joe Parrish. 9/11/209 1 td and 1 int. He then turned around and gave his 2nd game ball to the entire defensive team and they hung in there against a very powerful offensive team over there at LSU. GG Automatik

LaMarr Russell
    Halfback | 12 CARRIES 86 YARDS
    [​IMG]
    e Fort Valley, GA
    ghYea

Mike Golden
    Halfback | 17 CARRIES 98 YARDS AND 1 TD
    [​IMG]

Home White Oak, MD
    Height 5-11
    Weight 214
    Year Junior (R)

• Like Like x 2
  12. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

thCAVNOM82.jpg 35
    WSU.jpg 7

The Sun Devils pick up their 1st win of 2017 defeating the Cougars in Tempe. ASU controlled the game from the jump. Led by RB C. Beck who rushed for 189 yards and 1 TD before the starters were pulled in the 3rd Qtr. ASU put up 450 yards of offense including 272 on the ground. The Sun Devils travel to Cal next week to try to avenge last year's lost.

13. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

GG man, I should have stuck with Russell more often in this one instead of forcing passes as your pass defense was just too strong. GL the rest of the way

14. GMONEY 15

Week 5

Virginia 59
    Clemson 16

Good game for Virginia as they controlled the game from the jump. Starting offense played left the game for good in the 2nd QTR. 1st string defense left with 5 minutes left in the 2nd QTR. The 2nd and 3rd stringers were getting plenty of action and they stepped up and played well. Virginia uncharacteristically had some long completions as Clemson's secondary was either really bad or the Cavs just had one of those crazy days as which the receivers and TE's were just out there having fun. It was good to see Joe Parrish didn't throw any dam pics in tonight's game. ( Good thing that he only played the 1st QTR ) ;)

15. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG] 45
    [​IMG] 38

Army gets revenge, LSU's nightmare continues...

The early goings of this game looked like it could be a defensive showdown in the making. The Tigers got it first and went 3 and out. Army responded with an INT and LSU went 3 and out again. Finally the Black Knights got a drive going, but a sack on third down inside the 10 forced a short FG to make it 3-0 after one quarter. The Tigers next drive was a whole lotta running. In fact the only pass play called was a third down incompletion, but a roughing the passer call on the play would keep things moving and superman, er, Russell would eventually score the first of his 3 TDs to give his team a 7-3 advantage. Undeterred, Army would march down the field through the air before punching in a 1 yard TD run to retake the lead, 10-7. Russell would go back to work and a 26 yard TD with a minute left made it 14-10. Trying to make something happen before halftime, Johnny Patton would throw a terrible pass that would get picked off and, adding insult to injury, returned for a TD. Down 21-10 with about 30 seconds left the Army coaching staff decided to get aggressive again, hoping to narrow the deficit before the break. After a pair of darts and a nice scramble, Patton found his team on the LSU 33 with 8 seconds left. A 50 yard FG was basically the limit for the kicker, so the coaches asked for a short gain. Tommy Lyles would run a wheel from the slot behind a post from the flanker on what was Patton's 4th and 5th reads. Lyles torched his man and by the time Patton saw him in his progressions he was well in the clear for a 33 yard TD strike to get to halftime down just four, 21-17.

Army got the ball to start the second half. After a first down, Patton took a vicious sack and left the game with an injury. LaMont smith came in and LSU came up in the press to pressure the young backup. Only problem for the Tigers is that senior Anthony Payne on the outside thrives on one on one press coverage. After shrugging off his man, Payne would catch a 66 yard strike to give his team a first and goal. two plays later, Smith would hook up with his TE for a 10 yard TD giving Army the lead, 24-21 early in the 3rd. Just as word came out that Patton wasnt hurt bad and would return to the game, LSU's Ervin threw an INT. Patton wasted no time, coming out in a jumbo set, Atmy would go play action and Mason would catch a pass at the 2 yard line. Pope would punch in his second short TD of the game to extend the Army lead to 31-21. LSU wouldn't panic though. Down 10 in front of a hostile crowd they would deftly mix the run and pass to move downfield before Russell would score his third TD of the day on a 1 yard plunge. Nursing a three point lead with a minute left in the 3rd, Army would once again look to the air. LSU in the second half continued to press and run a variety of blitzes trying to force another mistake, but Patton would make them pay, first hitting Chaz Matthews on a 56 yard seam route over the top of the cover zero blitz, then with a 19 yard strike to Payne over the middle in the space vacated by blitzing linebackers. The score pushed the lead back to ten at 38-28 going into the final quarter. On their next drive, LSU would score another TD, this time on a pretty post pattern against cover 2 sink in the back of the endzone from 33 yards out. On the ensuing possession, the LSU defense would come through, forcing Army's only punt of the ballgame. LSU would turn to Russell and he would move them into Army territory, but eventually get crushed for a 4 yard loss on 3rd and 2. A 54 yard FG would just sneak over the bar to even up the score at 38 with just under 3 minutes to play. Army was in no mood to try and run down the clock and after a screen pass resulted in a 1 yard loss, Patton would find Payne for 36 yards, then Matthews for 30 yards stiing up 1st and goal. Leon west would catch a ball just inside the ten on the next play, avoid a big hit and dance outside for a 10 yard TD catch to give Army a 45-38 lead! LSU would come out running, looking to take Army by surprise, but only managed moderate gains and had to go to the air. A 4th down incompletion with fifteen seconds left ended the drama and the Black Knight had their redemption from last seasons NC game loss.

Key Stats:
    LSU: Russell had 171 yards rushing and 3 TDs, but their QBs completed just 8 of 17 passes for 139 yards and took 3 huge sacks
    ARMY: Only faced 4 third downs. QBs combined to go 24 of 33 for 446 yards and 4 TDs

GG Automatik , when you scored to make it 38 all I thought for sure you had captured the momentum, I feel lucky to have snuck out with the W.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

GG Wyrmreaver, that TD you scored before the half was a backbreaker for me, I also had no answer for your no huddle offense.

17. Wyrmreaver

Yeah, that TD before the half was the play of the game for me..... when I threw that pick 6 right before I was thinking, great, here we go again. Getting a TD to get within 4 and the ball after the half was critical. On a defense note, I burned you on the curl against your blitz early and then you went press and I beat you deep a few times, zone press or zone show blitz likely would have caught me off guard

18. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

asu.jpg 17
    Rut.jpg 0

ASU travelled to Piscattaway and beat the #19 team in the country. ASU put up a solid defensive effort and a big special team play as WR M. Williams took the opening kickoff 105 yards to put the Sun Devils on top 7-0. Both defenses played well as neither offense could get into their game plan. The ball changed hands back and forth throughout the 1st half. ASU managed to hit a FG as time expired in the 1st half. ASU went up 10-0 at the half. ASU would score on their first possession of the 3rd Qtr on a 9 yard run by RB P. Bryant. The key play was a 51 yard run by C. Beck. This is how the game ended as both defense locked down for the rest of the game. The downfall for Rutgers were dropped passes in which they had 10. The ASU defense held Rutgers to 111 total yards while they gained 239 on offense. ASU prepares for yet another tough outing as they travel to South Bend to take on the #5 team in the country the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG] 41
    [​IMG] 31

Army has too many weapons for Cal to stop...

It was a perfect day for football in Berkeley, sunny and clear with no wind. The Bears were amped up all week leading up to hosting #1 ranked Army. Cal was tight lipped, but sources leaked that Cal felt they should have had the Black Knights spot in the BCS title game last season, especially after having trounced Army the year before. Army won the toss and deferred in this top 3 showdown. Cal moved the ball well on their first possession but ultimately had to settle for a 45 yard FG to take the early lead. Army came out in 5 wide no huddle and Cal didn't seem ready for it despite a long week of practice preparing. Three plays was all the Black Knights needed as Patton hooked up with Chaz Matthews on the deep post route for a 49 yard TD to go up 7-3. Cal came right back and Inman made a great catch on a jump ball over all american FS Lamont Ray for a 48 yard TD to retake the lead 10-7. The Bears defense would come through with a defensive stop near midfield but Army would drop a beautiful punt out of bounds at the 2 yard line. Cal narrowly avoided a safety on a second down rush then threw a pass into coverage that nearly resulted in an INT before punting from the back of the endzone early in the second quarter. With excellent field position Army went to work and Patton found his HB on a wheel route all alone for a 33 yard TD to take the lead back at 14-10. The Black Knights defense would come up huge and force a three and out to give the ball back to the offense with momentum. Army would move the ball well again but Johnny Patton would go down with an injury on a first down run from the Bear's 15 yard line. The backup would come in and throw a dart to Paris Harrison at the goalline for a TD or first down, but the normally sure handed senior would drop it and the Black Knights would settle for a short FG and a 17-10 advantage. News from the sideline after the TV timeout indicated that Patton would return to the game shortly staving off a panic from the Army faithful. Cal worked the no huddle to perfection and sliced through the Army D as the half wound down, finally culminating in a 5 yard TD pass from Jones to Washington in the back of the endzone. Army got it back with a little time, but Patton's worst throw of the game (maybe his only bad one) was picked off to preserve the 17-17 deadlock at the break.

The Army offense showed no signs of slowing as they moved down the field, eventually cashing in on a short Seth Pope run to take a 24-17 lead early in the third period. The Army defense would force a 3 and out on Cal's first chance of the second half and 2 plays later Patton would beat the blitz and hit Anthony Payne over the middle. Payne would make the safety miss and race down the sideline for a 44 yard TD to give his team a 31-17 lead just over halfway through the 3rd quarter. Knowing they needed to get something going, the Bears didn't panic. They used a balanced approach even though the running game was ineffective and it eventually paid off. Another short TD pass early in the 4th quarter cut the deficit back to one TD, 31-24. Army would go to the ground on 6 of their next seven plays to try and put the game away. They were rewarded for their efforts when Seth Pope took a weak side stretch and stretched it all the way to the house for a 25 yard score and 38-24 lead with just 4:19 to play. After two incompletions, Cal would get a critical third down conversion with a 29 yard strike to jumpstart their drive. A thirteen yard TD pass with 3:11 to play narrowed the lead to just one TD again. Holding all of their timeouts, the Bears kicked it deep. After a 4 yard loss on a first down rush attempt, the Black Knights went back to the 5 WR set. On the road Johnny Patton was cool as a cucumber and hit Leon West for an 11 yard gain on second down, setting up a 3rd and 3. Still in 5 wide, Patton would face a big blitz. With the defense closing in, Patton saw West break the press. Patton barely got the throw off while west and the defender had their backs turned, Patton got a bit of luck as West was able to adjust to the ball and make a nice catch for a first down just before getting popped. A pair of running plays burned two of Cal's timeouts and set up a 3rd and 4 near midfield. Army called a pass play out of the Jumbo set, but Cal, having seen that trick a couple of times earlier in the game wasn't fooled and dropped into tight coverage. The only mistake on the play for the Bears was that they didn't put a spy on Patton. The All American QB saw nothing open from the pocket and then simply scrambled into wide open space for a 17 yard gain before going out of bounds. A 48 yard FG with about 10 seconds to play finished the scoring and put the game out of reach as Army won 41-31.

Great Game Abominatrix that first 3rd down of my last drive was such a lucky pass, threw it before the route developed and just got lucky with a great catch by my WR.

Key Stats for the Game:
    • Army punted just once, but forced three Cal punts
    • Rushing yards: Cal - 11, Army - 116

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

GG, guess we're not invincible at home :(. Funny thing is, I DID hot route a spy on that last unfortunate play...and I was playing him. Naturally, I didn't trust my coverage so I just bailed out to guard some route that ended up being covered. That's why coaches preach to "Do your job". I'm personally responsible for the first 2 TDs and that last spyfail, so I earned this loss.

Now go win the BCSNC so I don't feel as bad. I've let my conference down T_T

21. Wyrmreaver

Speaking of your conference...... looking at the rankings and schedule..... If Colorado can pull off the major upset of Virginia here in a couple weeks you might get a rematch with me, assuming that most of those undefeated CPU teams also lose

22. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

thCAVNOM82.jpg 24
    nd.jpg 3

The Sun Devils defeat the Fighting Irish in South Bend. QB Dedrick Lee had a decent game throwing for 214 yards and 1 TD but had 2 INTs. RB C. Beck rand for 2 TDs and also had 65 yards on the ground. WR Oliver Marshall added a TD and had 5 catches. The Sun Devil defense held strong allowing only a FG to the #5 team in the country.

23. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

asu.jpg 21
    thCAKE8ON2.jpg 16

ASU came out flat as the Beavers took a 3-0 lead. The Or St would lead until late in the 2nd when ASU finally got on the board with a 5 yard TD pass from QB D. Lee to WR B. Wright to go up 7-3. The Sun Devils would add another late TD on a 48 yard TD pass from QB D. Lee to WR M. Williams to go up 14-3 at the half. ASU RB C. Beck would score the only 3rd Qtr TD on a 5 yard run to go up 21-3 after 3 Qtrs. Or St would score 2 late TDs to make it interesting. WR J. Harwell caught a 6 yard TD and the 2 pt conversion was no good.21-9. The Beavers would get the onside kick and score again on a 59 yard TD catch by TE R. Morris. 21-16 ASU. The Sun Devils would recover the onside kick to end the game

24. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

thCA9K1YM6.jpg 24
    usc.jpg 17

The Sun Devils hang on to beat the Trojans. ASU came out hot scoring the 1st 2 TDs on a 2 yard TD run by RB C. Beck and a 31 yard INT return by CB T. Porter. USC would add a late 1st Qtr TD a 41 yard TD catch by WR J. Medley to make it 14-7 after 1. USC connected on a FG to make it 14-10. Ar St would score on a 43 yard TD pass from QB D. Lee to CB S. Rogers. to go up 21-10. The Sun Devils made a FG to go up 24-10. USC scored on a 11 yard TD catch by Dan Thomas to make it 24-17. RB C. Beck rushed for 118 yards and 1 TD. DE A. Gorman would get 2 key sacks during the game

25. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

asu.jpg 27
    or.jpg 3

ASU rolled past Oregon thanks to a good game by QB D. Lee who had 4 total TDs. Lee threw for 3 TDs and ran for 1. Lee would find M. Williams in the 2nd Qtr for 62 yards to go up 7-0. Oregon would add their only score with a 2nd Qtr FG. Lee would find WR B. Wright twice in the 3rd from 10 and 59 yards to go up 20-3. Lee added a 17 yard TD run to finish it at 27-3