Season 6 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by vBIG SLICKv, Jan 13, 2011.

1. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Write 'em up boys

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Knew I forgot something :)

I will write mine up tomorrow. All I can say is my team plays a lot different this season than last season. I think run/pass was ratio was like 40/20.

3. vBIG SLICKv

[​IMG]

#15 TEXAS runs away from Cal in Season Opener 45-3

Texas opened the season with a trip to California to face the Golden Bears. Texas started slow getting use to their new offensive scheme in game situations but eventually got things rolling. First year starter HB Gary Kemp was able to grab a 25 yrd pass from QB Williams to strike first in the 1st qtr. Cal would answer to begin the 2nd with a FG, but Texas fired right back with HB Petty pushing in from 1 yrd out to give the Longhorns a 14-3 lead going into halftime. It was all Texas in the 2nd half as the horns would score 31 unanswered has they got into a groove in the new offense. FR-QB Mackey would keep an option play off the left side and score from 65 yrds out to get the scoring going in the 3rd. HB Petty would cross the goalline for the 2nd time on anthor 1yrd plunge to end the 3rd up 28-3. Texas would add a FG and 2 more QB Mackey rushing scores in the 4th to end the game witht the victory 45-3.​

The defense played solid with the new multiple scheme. The Horns took a little to adjust to the 3-4 looks in the multiple but was able to keep pressure on the qb and hold the Cal offense to only 179 yrds of total offense.​

The biggest negative to the game was the 4 turnovers by the Longhorns. 1 int and 3 lost fumbles.​

QB Willimas 14-18 220 yrds 1 td 1 int​
    QB Mackey 2-2 37 yrds, 8 rushes 83yrds and 3 tds​

HB Kemp 19 rushes 122yrds 0 tds​

WR Joseph 8 recs 162 yrds​

4. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

FSU opens up with a solid road win, 42-3 at Tennessee.

The offense was more explosive, as expected with the infusion of speed at WR and HB this season. Concerns over the switch to a new defense were not calmed by the 3 points the team held the Volunteers to however, as Tennessee completed 24-33 pass attempts and moved the ball well all game. There are going to definitely be some growing pains on that side of the ball this year.

Player stats:
    Brenton Newby 18-23 303 yards 1 TD/1 INT
    Andy Frank 19 carries 103 yards 4 TD
    Jay Arnold 5 catches 84 yards

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Penn State- 66
    Cincinatti- 14

After settling down Dixon empraced his first career start with 351yds 5TD in 1 half of play. Brown and Larsen combined for 150yds 2 TD on the ground. Dixon was able to spread the ball as 11 different players had a reception. True Fr Jones hauled in 3TD. The defense did look a little vulnerable as they gave up an uncharacteristic 340+yds. An early test week 2 as UCLA travels to PA.

6. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Week #1: #24 UNC 20, Pitt 7

During the first half, here's what was repeatedly running through my head:

"Ohgod-Ohgod-Ohgod-Ohgod-Ohgod"

Gents, we may be in a bit of trouble in Chapel Hill.

Last season, on the first offensive play from scrimmage, Giovanni Bernard ran it on a draw play about 79 yards for a touchdown. This year, on Carolina's first play from scrimmage (a weak-side counter), JR RB Chad Smith was swarmed for a four yard loss. And so it begins!

Pitt was all over us through the first half. QB James Johnson was sacked 3 times in the game and hurried several times more, a statistic that wouldn't shock me in a user game but which almost never happens to me in a CPU game. My running attack was stymied again and again, ending up with 16 carries for 62 yards. He started to find some openings as the game wore on but never threatened to break one--probably just doesn't have the speed. But my offensive line is just horrid--it's going to be an issue all year long.

The 4-2-5 defense was a bit shaky as well--I need to spend some time with it and make some tweaks. For instance, I just assumed that it would use my two best LBs but that wasn't the case, but I discovered that fairly quickly. Also, I assumed the last of the "5" would be my third CB just like a nickle, but it wasn't until the second half that I realized that it was using my backup SS. My backup SS sucks. My third CB isn't great but I think putting him in made a difference. I'll work with that as well, and if I'm still not comfortable after the Georgia Tech game I'll just go back to the 4-3.

Pitt ran for over a hundred yards on us so that's a bit troubling. On the other hand, UNC had 4 interceptions, one of which starting SS Aaron Holmes returned for a TD. QB James Johnson also proved steady as always, going 14-20 for 197 yards. WR Zeph Thomas caught 4 for 74 yards.

Next for the Heels is Georgia Tech, then Minnesota.

7. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Colorado 28
    WSU 21

If UNC is in a bit of trouble WSU just busted the panic button. QB Damien Romero did not play very well throwing three interceptions, the last one setting up the game winning score. There were a lot of questions surrounding the Cougars offense, specifically how will the offense be affected by the loss of Connor Halliday. It did not look good for most of the game. In the first half Romero threw two interceptions, and held on to the ball too long. The reason for holding the ball too long was because the receivers were not getting open. WR Andrew Lawerence caught 8 passes for 146 yards, but he was having a difficult time getting by his man in the slot position.

On the defensive side of the ball the Cougars defense played well, only giving up one big pass play that resulted in a touchdown. The other three Colorado State scoring drives were the result of the Rams having the short field. On Romero's third interception the Cougar tackler was called for a facemask penalty giving the Rams the ball at midfield. Up next the Cougs go on the road to face Oklahoma.

After the game WSU's coach had these words to say, "I tried some things that clearly didn't work. I am going to fiddle with the formation subs and the depth chart. People who played today might not play next week, and some people might be playing in different positions."

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 51
    Miami 0

Heisman winning quarterback David Williams went to the NFL and ended Miami's days as an offensive juggernaut. The Hurricanes managed less than 150 yards total offense in this game. Most of those yards came through the air but Miami's quarterbacks completed just 16 of 28 passes for 148 yards. The run game was far worse, getting 20 yards on 17 carries and this total doesn't include QB sacks. Jasper Shuler was sacked 5 times in this game, including 2 by OLB Michael Stone.

Ohio State's offense did not put up prolific numbers as the team did away with the high powered air raid attack. Instead OSU leaned heavily on the ground game. The Buckeyes had success as their top 3 backs all gained over 50 yards and averaged more than 5 yards per carry. Junior Gary Nealy led the way with 111 yards and 2 TD. Sophomore Chad Gilbert also had a solid game with 87 yards and 2 TD. QB Larry Walters adjusted well to the schematic change, completing 11 of 16 passes. He only threw for 157 and 1 TD but his yards per completion should increase as the players adjust to the offense.

Ohio State faces another top 10 team in week 2. The Alabama Crimson Tide are the next opponent for the Buckeyes. Things remain difficult in week 3 with a possible Rose Bowl preview against USC. That game is circled on the OSU schedule.

Offensive Player of the Game: Gary Nealy 12 carries 111 yards 2 TD

Defensive Player of the Game: Michael Stone 3 tackles 2 sacks

First Quarter
    05:03 TD Ohio State Gary Nealy HB #26 64 yard rush
    00:16 TD Ohio State Ryan Barrow WR #81 8 yard pass from Larry Walters QB #5
    Second Quarter
    02:09 TD Ohio State Gary Nealy HB #26 4 yard rush
    02:03 TD Ohio State Michael Holland TE #83 15 yard fumble
    00:00 FG Ohio State Aaron Allen K #10 28 yard field goal
    Third Quarter
    05:03 FG Ohio State Aaron Allen K #10 50 yard field goal
    02:47 TD Ohio State Chad Gilbert HB #48 43 yard rush
    Forth Quarter
    05:44 FG Ohio State Aaron Allen K #10 53 yard field goal
    01:23 TD Ohio State Chad Gilbert HB #48 5 yard rush

9. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Penn State- 38
    UCLA- 31

We had to piece together 2 games as we got disconnected at half of the 1st one. First attempt tied 24-24. Second half UCLA is down 7 with 4 mins left and driving to tie the game. A stategic attempt to insure Penn State doesn't get the ball back UCLA doesn't score and tries to run the clock. After taking a knee twice on the goaline, UCLA fails on a 4th down attempt from the 2 yard line. Penn State takes over with 6 seconds left and runs the clock out. I had to play the second half against the cpu and it took a huge game from Dixon and Fernandez and a 2 point conversion to beat UCLA 36-35. GG Perry, I don't see you losing another game....

10. vBIG SLICKv

[​IMG]

#15 Texas leaps over #17 Boise State 52-17

Texas dominates the Broncos from the opening kickoff. The Horns offense and defense was both clicking as they have adjusted to the new schemes. There are still some growing pains but overall Coach Slick is very happy with the progress so far.

QB Williams - 7-13 / 236yrds / 2 tds 0ints

HB Kemp - 21 carries 127 yrds 3 tds

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

#9 Nebraska - 52
    Oregon - 17

Well we destroyed them if you look at it, but I was very disappointed with my offensive effort, especially from Brent Wright, who went 25/49 and had an INT. Maybe it was just Oregon's defense (had about 7-8 tipped passes at the line and LBs jumping to bat down passes, and another 4-5 drops, but still) but I didn't like my playbook and struggled moving the ball consistently. We got enough big plays to win easily though. The real star was true freshman HB Roland McKenzie, who had 17 carries for 180 yards and a TD to start his career with a bang for the Huskers, who roll into Doak Campbell next week to take on Dru's Seminoles.

12. vBIG SLICKv

Texas????

13. Bl0ndeRedHead

hahahahaha wow, just a case of typing while reading the screen, and what was right above the empty box I was typing into? Your signature staring me in the face

14. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

OU: 40 WSU: 27

Great job by Coach Wazzu and his staff getting the Cougars ready for this game. The Cougar defense made a big play by picking off an OU pass to begin the game but their drive stalled and their FG kicked missed a 40+ yarder that killed their momentum. Then the Sooners drove down the field to take the lead on a short FB dive by Jason Easley 7-0. The Cougars answer back to tie the game by a short run by Taylor. Then the Sooner's D began to assert themselves, intercepting Romero a couple of times in the second quarter to give them 27-7 lead going into half time.

The Cougars defense would stiffen up and only allow a long TD run by backup RB Brady Hall and 2 Griffin FGs and their offense would explode for 20 points in the 4th quarter to make the game very interesting. Wazz is only a season away from making serious waves in the Pac 10!! Great job Coach!

15. Bl0ndeRedHead

#8 Nebraska - 31
    #5 Florida St. - 28

True freshman Charles Rhodes leads Huskers over Seminoles in Tallahassee

Somehow Brent Wright dislocated his knee and will be out until Week 11. We don't know if this happened in practice or on the last play of the game against Oregon, but he's done basically for the year and won't play in any user games, so Nebraska is going to be leaning on the Rhodes Scholar to get the job done, which he did today against Florida State. Rhodes was 20/27 for 311 yards, with 2TD and an INT. The other true freshman on the field, HB Roland McKenzie, had 24 carries for 107 yards and 2TD to lead the Huskers on the ground. For Florida State, QB Brenton Newby struggled at times, going 10/17 for 224 yards, with 0TD and 3INT. HB Andy Frank only had 4 carries, but picked up 89 yards and 4TD. The real key stat was total plays, as Florida State only ran 26 plays, and had the ball for 7:37 as opposed to Nebraska, who had 57 plays and the ball was in their hands for 20:23.

The game started with Florida State scoring quickly, by getting a big pass play then handing it to Frank and watching him run it in. Nebraska would answer with their own touchdown, a 25 yard pass from Rhodes to Brent Williams. After getting a stop, the Huskers couldn't do anything with it and were forced to punt it back to the Seminoles. On a 2nd and short, Frank took a draw play 78 yards to the house, and on Nebraska's next possession, Rhodes overthrew his intended target and was intercepted, leading to another touchdown from Frank, putting the Seminoles up 21-7. Nebraska was able to tack on a field goal with :28 left in the half, and intercept Newby to keep the Seminoles from scoring one last time.

The third quarter is where the game changed, as Nebraska came out and scored to start the half with a 17 yard pass to C.J. Dykes, bringing the Huskers within 4, 21-17. Florida State would get a huge Brenton Newby run, then a big pass to set up Frank for another touchdown run. But Nebraska would answer with a touchdown of their own, a 3 yard run by Roland McKenzie. Down 28-24, Nebraska needed a stop. Instead, they got an interception, and on the next play McKenzie would bust through the line and take it 29 yards to the house, giving Nebraska the 31-28 lead. In the 4th quarter, Florida State would threaten the Huskers, getting the ball into Nebraska territory and inside the 40 yard line before Newby made another bad pass, overthrowin his target and getting intercepted for the 3rd time. Nebraska would take over with just under 5:00 left in the game, and wouldn't let Florida State get the ball back, thanks to several 3rd and long conversions and a couple of big runs by McKenzie.

16. vBIG SLICKv

good win bl0nde. Represent the Big XII

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Well without Wright I have a feeling the Big 12 is gonna bend me over this year

18. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Wowza, big win Blonde.

I'm not gonna lie, Wright being out will not help me in the least lol.

I'll do a better write up later but a simple quote from the coach after our 28-10 loss to those Gophers....

"We are who I was afraid we might be."

19. Dru50

Good game blonde. I made some awful choices in the 2nd half and my defense couldn't get off blocks yet again and still can't cover anyone.

The most annoying thing ever is knowing that the counter play is coming, knowing which side it's going to and still not being able to stop it. You guys in the big 12 better start labbing now to figure out how to stop the strong side counter play, cause it's coming alot when you play Nebraska. That OL just owned my front 7.

20. Bl0ndeRedHead

That's my one saving grace. With a true freshman QB/HB combo my line will be the only thing that keeps me in games this year

21. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Week 1

#12 Minnesota - 48
    #25 Georgia - 0

The Gophers start off the season on the right foot, beating the Georgia Bulldogs in front of a crowded house at TCF Bank Stadium. The Gopher offense exploded for 42 points in the second and third quarters, while the Bulldogs failed to convert on key third downs throughout the contest.

Player of the Game - WR Chris Watson - 4 Receptions - 135 Yards - 2 TDs

Week 2

#10 Minnesota - 28
    #20 Oklahoma State - 10

Minnesota wins its first user game of the season, defeating the OK State Cowboys in Stillwater. Minnesota struck first, as QB Quenton Robinson connected with the speedy WR Reggie Bean for a 70-yard TD. Up 14-10 at half, the Gophers struck first in the third quarter when Robinson found TE Brad Bryant for a 5-yard score to push the lead to 21-10. This proved too much for the Cowboys to overcome, and the Gophers left T. Boone Pickens Stadium with a much-needed win.

Player of the Game - QB Quenton Robinson - 10/13 - 216 Yards - 3/0

22. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

LOL, classic Dru right here.

23. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Week 2: #22 North Carolina 30, Georgia Tech 0

Either the Tar Heels are the second coming of the '86 Chicago Bears, or the years and game engine have not been kind to the option attack at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets didn't get a first down until the first minute of the 4th quarter against the Tar Heel reserves, and that was the only first down they got the whole game. Tech QB J.D. Holloway went 2-11 for the game for a grand total of 5 passing yards. The rushing game wasn't much better, with the backfield combing for 32 yards, meaning GT had less than 40 yards of total offense.

The Tar Heels obviously didn't have much to complain about defensively. Offensively? Well, we kicked 3 FGs, which says something. Howard Jefferson and Chad Smith ran for a combined 78 yards on 27 carries for a sub-3.0 YPC average. The offensive line just isn't very good, but no sacks today and James Johnson was 13-21 for 244 yards, 2 TDs/0 INTs. Leo Thompson, a RS FR elevated to the #3 WR position, had a big day with 4 catches for 115 yards, including a 59 yard TD where he burned the secondary on a long bomb.

Carolina gets a much better idea of how they stand next game against Minnesota.

24. Dru50

FSU 56 BC 0

This game was in hand in the first half, but Coach Dru kept in the starters a bit later into the 3rd than he would normally, after the game he told the media, "We just lost a game to a great Nebraska team partially because we seemed lost on offense in the 4th quarter. Two INT's in the 4th cost us that game. I felt we needed some more time with the starters running this new spread look."

QB Brenton Newby rebounded from the worst game of his college career last week to show more flashes of the dual threat QB that was expected in this new Miss St offensive system. He was 18-25 for 366 yards, 3 TD 0 INT and had 96 yards and 2 TD rushing on 9 carries. HB's Andy Frank and David Carter combined for 138 yards rushing and 3 TD. Frank became the all time leader in rushing TD's for FSU after this game, with 51 thus far. WR Jay Arnold continues to play well as the #1 WR, catching 6 passes for 130 yards.

The defense played well, but the lack of a pass rush from the LB's is still a concern. 3 weeks into the 3-4 defensive package, and none of the LB's have recorded a sack.

Up next - Clemson comes to Tallahassee. Clemson is probably the best CPU team left in the ACC (a B OVR team), but that isn't saying much. It's a rivalry game though, so I guess anything can happen.

25. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I would say that I'm rooting for Clemson next week but I already realized that was a lost cause. I removed all prospects on my board that had Florida State above my school. Luckily that was only a few players this season.