Season 6: Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by IXI DECAY IXI, Feb 16, 2012.

1. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

"San Jose Notches it's First Win of the Season"
    2016 season, week 2

Heading into a big season opener with their newly high prestigious offensive coordinator, Spartan fans were anxiously waiting to see what today's outcome would be. San Jose would host Brigham Young in what looked like on paper would be a one way victory for the Cougars of BYU. San Jose had other ideas though as they fought and battled hard throughout the afternoon.

#43 J.Turner of San Jose would pick off D.Mixon on the first drive of the game to setup San Jose with an easy first opportunity to score taking over the ball within their own territory. San Jose couldn't capitalize and turn the ball over on downs and failing to attempt on a 4th down conversion. Worried faces soon rushed over San Jose fans as coach Walker paced the sidelines with disappointment all over his face.

San Jose was able to light fire on their next drive as Senior Scot Hayes was able to take it to the house on a 69 yard rush that lit the crowd up instantly! Hayes made defenders look silly in what could potentially be a candidate for highlight of the year. San Jose's defense wasn't able to hold up on the next drive as BYU was able to bring the score back even.

The teams swapped possessions for the remainder of the half and both teams headed into the locker room with a 7-7 tie. San Jose made some halftime adjustments on offense and came out with a quick score led by a 6 yard run by Senior Quarterback Jon Graves to give the Spartans a 14-7 lead. BYU once again answered right back with a 50 yard touchdown pass from Dingle to Thompson.

It was San Jose who answered last though as tight end Ricky Smith was able to grab a 2-yard catch to give the Spartans a 21-14 lead and would eventually be enough to give them the win!

"Words With Walker"
    I was impressed with our second half performance. I felt we were able to control the game more in the second half and give our defense some breaks for their great efforts today. We are going to have to be able to put up more points than this though if we expect to compete in the Mountain West this year.

Final Score
    San Jose - 21
    BYU - 14

Player of the Game
    Scott Hayes: 13 Att, 122 Yards, 1 TD, 3 Rec, 41 Yards

Highlight of the Year Nominee

papaloke

3. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

New Mexico loses to Va Tech 14-6

• Like Like x 2
  4. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

ChuckDzzNutz

That is awesome. The video. Not you losing.

5. SLOPDAWG88

SLOPDAWG88 Walk On

First user game one word "EXCITED"!!!

6. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Wow! Tough loss Chuck.

7. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Tulsa Loses Heartbreaker in Stillwater, 28-20
    The little guys almost came through, but in the end two screen plays to OK State's Clayton Blaylock that went for TDs (despite having what felt like the entire Tulsa defense get their hands on him both times) would be the difference.

Tulsa would actually strike on their first possession of the game, capping off a nice drive with a 7 yard TD run from Alex Smith. But OK State and their fast paced hurry up offense would answer in just 42 seconds to tie the game. Tulsa was unphased and would open the 2nd quarter with another rushing TD, this one from 14 yards out in the hands of C Hopkins. But Clayton Blaylock would answer again for OSU, catching the first of what would be 3 TD passes for the halfback. A 39 yard FG from freshman kicker Marshall would end the half 17-10 in favor of the visiting Hurricane.

OK State would receive the 2nd half kick and would need just 53 seconds to score this time on the first of the aforementioned screen plays, shedding a couple tackles and racing 34 yards for the go ahead score. Tulsa would have no answer this time, and then came screen play for TD number two, this one going for 56 yards after 4 Tulsa defenders had a chance to make the tackle. With the score 28-17 entering the 4th, little hope remained for UT. But a quick FG would cut the lead to 8, and after the Cowboys gambled and tried throwing for a first down, Ricky Romero's 4th interception of the game gave new life. But there would be no comeback in Stillwater today, and Tulsa suffers their first loss under coach Hexum, who was upbeat after the game. "It was a hell of an effort. A tackle here, a catch there and we have a different story. We'll take some positives from this and move forward." But when asked about the lackluster performance from last year's starting QB and senior Jeremy McNeal, he was a little more vague. "He earned the starting role in camp and based on what he did for us last season. But we'll take it a game a time. (Redshirt junior) Mike Boyd had a good fall camp as well and he deserves a chance. Luckily we have a bye week coming up so we'll take get some extra time to see who earns the start in Tulane."

Tulsa
    Jeremy McNeal; 9 of 28, 114 yards, 1 INT
    Alex Smith; 32 carries, 119 yards, 1 TD

OK STATE
    Ricky Romero; 18 of 30, 295 yards, 4 TDs, 4 INTs
    Clayton Blaylock; 10 carries, 39 yards, 6 catches, 122 yards, 3 TDs

8. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Both, actually :p

9. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG] 38
    [​IMG] 45

Hawaii somehow escapes with a win!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Warriors found themselves in unfamiliar waters in their season opener. Boise State jumped out to a 28-3 lead in the second quarter on the back of Senior tailback Jon Key who would finish the game with 266 yards rushing, a team record. Hawaii managed a score before halftime to go into the break down 28-10. The Warriors scored again to start the third but Key struck again, this time with a long run setting up a TD on a QB scramble to make it a 35-17 advantage. Hawaii would answer just before the fourth quarter with another TD and would go into the last stanza down 35-24 at home.

After a little back and forth, the Warriors found themselves facing a 4th and 10 from their own 21 with under 4 minutes to go, down 11. Coach Utah called a clever action out of a bunch form with the TE running a corner while 2 WRs drew the defenders deep. Freshman QB Derek Miller missed the wide open TE at the first down marker and the Hawaii crowd was in shock, they were going to lose this game. Boise, however, would go three and out and settle for a FG to make it a 38-24 lead with 2:44 to play. Derek Miller came back out and ran the hurry up offense, culminating in a 45 yard TD strike to Senior Marcus Bryan. On the ensuing possession Boise just needed one first down to put the game away. Key ran a stretch left on 2nd and 9 and was absolutely blasted by Senior safety Sidney Moss at the line of scrimmage knocking the ball loose. In the scramble Hawaii came away with the ball in scoring position. Miller didn't waste any time, finding TE Charlie Johnson from 6 yards out to tie the ballgame with 2 minuted to play.

Key, still in beast mode, breaks a huge run on the first play from scrimmage, giving the Broncos a first down on the Hawaii 40 yard line, but they would fail to capitalize this time. Tyson Wilson would look deep for a receiver but CB Mike Baker would make a sensational play, stepping in front of the receiver for the INT at the last possible instant, giving the Warriors the ball at their own 15. The Drive quickly stalled out and the Warriors punted back to Boise with less than 30 seconds to play. On the first snap of the final possession, super sophomore DE Seth Wilcox would toss aside his blocker and record his only sack of the ballgame, at the most critical moment. Boise would call time with 6 seconds left inside their own 20. After the timeout they came out with a base look and would run a simple power run play. Senior DE Nate Robbins wasn't fooled and after fighting off a block he reached his arm around Key wrenching at the ball and it caromed loose towards the sideline. Just before it skipped out of bounds, reserve OLB Brent Smith would scoop it up in traffic. Smith would get a block near the goalline by Seth Wilcox and would trot into the endzone with all zeros on the game clock. Pandemonium reigned in Honolulu and Hawaii somehow walked away with a win to start their season.

Player of the Game honors go to Freshman QB Derek Miller who shrugged off 7 sacks to complete 22 of 33 pass attempts for 336 yards and 4 TDs with no turnovers, including two fourth quarter TD passes to put this game even.

10. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Washington- 42
    Cincinatti- 16

After stumbling out of the blocks to a 10-0 deficit, the Huskies stormed back for a 42-16 win. UW had a balanced attack led by RB Roland with 144yds 4TD. QB Luke finished with 305yds 1 TD. The Bearcats had difficulty keeping drives alive 2/8 3rd down and 3 turnovers, which seemed to be too much to overcome. GG SLOPDAWG88 and welcome to the league ;)

11. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

IXI DECAY IXI, Your video is giving an access denied error. I'll try to post it in a new thread.

12. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

UAB loses home opener against #3 Wisconsin​
    UAB 30​
    EA Sports Gods 41​
    Yeah so on paper both of these teams were rated about the same, I was playing at home so I thought I would have a good chance to win. Unfortunately this was not the case as Wisconsin came out playing like they were on the heisman level and I was on varsity. Wisconsin took the opening drive and shoved it right down UAB's throat. This was not the game to try to break in my new QB, Soph. Robert Dorsey. Dorsey ended with 300 yards passing and 4 INTS but that's beside the point. I held the EA sports gods to a couple of field goals, the gods then let me get a QB sack, ff and return for a TD right before the half ended. I knew this was too good to be true though. Wisconsin got the ball back with 50 seconds on the clock and threw a jump ball for about 40 yards, then a streak over my zone defense and over my 4* SS who has 96 spd rating btw. So I survive the 1st half, the 2nd half starts and The gods switch back to all american level. (really thought I mgiht win at this point but the gods said no) Short crossing route my QB misses a wide open receiver by 5 yards and throws it right to the MLB. Next possession, I threw another pick, (my fault). Anyway, tough loss, looking at the team stats, i beat them in every category. REally wanted to hit reset on this one. UAB will need to regroup and get ready to face Hokie in a tough user game, Hokie just finished an impressive win against Cincinnati.​

13. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

FIU Crushes Rice, 56-14​
    The season got off to a rough start for the FIU Golden Panthers, as the first play from scrimmage went for a Touchdown for the visiting Rice Owls. "Yea, our secondary will probably give me an ulcer by the time this season is out," Baron said after the game was over.​
    But the FIU offense was more than up to the task, with two TD passes in the first quarter. The second came from backup Kevin Fields with starter Andrew Kelly out after taking a decent shot. "Just a bruised sternum," Baron said after the game, rolling his eyes.​
    The second quarter would be all FIU, with Jake Scott getting off to a good start of the season, breaking off a 74 yard TD run. Kelly would then add TD passes of 27 and 23 yards.​
    The FIU defense would give up lot of yards through the air (346) and the Golden Panthers would have trouble getting the Owl Offense off the field. But they would manage to keep the Owl's out of the endzone, going 1 for 6 in the redzone.​
    What to take away from this game? "[Starting QB] Andrew [Kelly] has gotten far more accurate with his passes. He did have 1 pick and two overthrown passes but he's made good progress. [Starting RB] Jake [Scott] turned in a much better performance than we were expecting to be honest. He's not as fast as Coleman or Mallary, and doesn't have the bruising power of Johnson," Baron said, comparing Scott to previous FIU stand outs. "But he reads the hole really well, and didn't go down on the first hit. Great pass blocking on his part as well."​
    FIU will host UTEP next week.​

14. Wyrmreaver

Mine was brutal too man.... I got lucky to win

15. SLOPDAWG88

SLOPDAWG88 Walk On

GOOD GAME!!!

16. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

"San Jose Pitches Shutout in Mountain West Conference Opener"
    2016 season, week 3

Coming out of a big win against BYU last week, the San Jose State Spartans would play host to the Mean Green of North Texas. Although both teams looked pretty evenly matched on paper, San Jose knew they would still have to give a full effort.

San Jose was able to force the Mean Green to a punt on their first drive, and Jon Graves was able to lead the Spartans on an effective balanced drive that ended with a touchdown pass to put the Spartans up 7-0. The first quarter ended with the Mean Green knocking of the door of San Jose's endzone, but would fail on a 4th down conversion and hand San Jose back the ball on the 4 yard line. San Jose would stall out on their next drive as they failed to convert on a 3rd and two. The defense was able to stand strong and force North Texas to a 3 and out their next drive.

Graves would lead the Spartans down the field on another emasculate drive and fired his second touchdown pass of the day to give the Spartans a 14-0 edge. The next score would come with only 23 seconds left in the half when North Texas fielded a punt only to be blown up by a big hit that led to a fumble and return for a touchdown to give the Spartans a 21-0 lead at halftime.

The Spartans would get the ball to start the second half and would march it down the field led by Hayes who finally capped it off with a touchdown run to put the Spartans up 28-0. It would end up being Hayes last carry of the day as coach Walker decided to let him have the rest of the day off. San Jose would eventually be able to put one more into the endzone and carry out with a shutout winning by a final of 35-0.

Words With Walker
    I was very impressed with our offensive performance today. Graves was absolutely outstanding today as was Hayes. We got a little sloppy in the second half and I would like to see a complete game out of these guys before we get into the tougher parts of our schedule.

Final Score
    North Texas - 0
    San Jose State - 35

Co-Players of the Game
    Jon Graves: 150.4 Rating, 20/30, 205 Yards, 3 TD, 1 Int, 66 Comp%
    San Jose Defense: 138 Total Offense Allowed, 2 Turnovers, 7 Sacks

Highlight of the Year Nominee

papaloke

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  17. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

I like how the Commish is posting a game summary every week. SOME PEOPLE let a little thing like a wife, and family get in the way of their video games! tsk tsk

18. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG] 35
    [​IMG] 0

Hawaii Stomps in Ohio State's 'Shoe!

[​IMG]

After looking dreadful last week against Boise, there were numerous questions about the Hawaii defense as they traveled to the Shoe to take on the #2 Buckeyes. Before the game a reporter asked Coach Utah about the week in practice for his defense. "We didn't talk about football until Thursday. Ya know, after our showing in our opener I knew these guys just weren't centered, so we spent our first few practices this week on the water. Nothing gives you perspective like the Ocean." Apparently the no practice approach worked because the Warriors shut out the Buckeyes in their own house. Freshman QB Derek Miller was efficient with the ball both running and passing and led this team to their NCAA best 22nd consecutive win. Hawaii somehow was ignored in the preseason top 25 despite being the defending national champs, we can only assume that with this win they will see some well earned respect in next weeks poll.

Player of The Game:
    Derek Miller - 12 of 18 passing for 184 and 2 TDs plus 51 yards rushing and 2 more TDs

19. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Walk On

Smash Wood Sets Single Game Rushing Record as Lobos Embarrass Border Rival Arizona 44-10
    ALBUQUERQUE - First things first, this reporter would like to apologize for not following up on last week's game in Blacksburg. The game effectively ended on a failed 4th and goal attempt from the 4 with a little over a minute to play. As you can see from Nate Glory's press conference, we were all pretty intimated and just kept our pen's in pad. With New Mexico bringing their most highly touted team into the season since Nate Glory's hiring over five years ago, it was understanable that the Athletic Department would not have much to say after their anemic showing against the 12th ranked Hokies. This week, the team did their talking on the field. New Mexico spotted Arizona the first ten points of the game pretty much for the fuck of it, and then went on to score 44 unanswered points to hammer their border rival's in every facet of the game for their third straight win against the Wildcats. Arizona native Bo Woods set the University single game rushing record going for 338 yards on 26 carries with two scores, a performance that many had expected last week. The artist formerly known as The Texas Gunslinger, Caleb Wright, now going by the name Namid Abdullah, wasn't called on too much but went 11 for 18 with 105yards and threw his first touchdown pass in nearly two calendar years. Late in the fourth quarter we got our first glance of Mike Sullivan, a 5 star recruit out of Tennessee that was rated the nations 3rd best Quarterback coming out of High school. Sullivan went 3-4 for just 24 yards, but did hook up with the nations #2 overall TE recruit Harvey Newberry for a 17-yard touchdown, in what many expect will be a combination to deal with for years to come. With the win the Lobos move to 1-1 on the young season and now get ready to host another rival, Texas-El Paso next week. ​

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  20. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

"San Jose Notches 3rd Win in Another Outstanding Defensive Performance"
    2016 season, week 4

San Jose would hit the road for the first time this season to face off against the New Mexico State Aggies in a Mountain West showdown. San Jose defense coming off of their shutout against North Texas displayed another outstanding performance that held the Aggies to 6 points all day. The Aggies were able to move the ball at times but a couple drives that withered away while in the redzone was the difference in today's score.

San Jose's offense was pretty consistent and displayed a very balanced attack today that led them to a big conference win and a huge push in motivation for the team. Jon Graves played his best game of the season as he was able to connect for 3 touchdown passes in today's contest. Hayes was able to put together a decent game on the ground but wasn't the "impact" player he has been in the past two weeks.

San Jose improves to 3-0 on the season and will make a road trip out to UCLA next week in what's sure to be their toughest opponent in the short season so far. It's going to take a miracle and some great effort on the Trojans part if they plan on leaving with their 4th win next week.

Another notable statistic for today's game was that San Jose's front 4 was able to register 5 sacks in today's contest!

Words With Walker
    "Another outstanding performance by our defense gave us a chance to keep the ball in our court all day. Their efforts allowed us to control the clock today and Graves played an outstanding mistake free game today that led us to the win."

Final Score
    San Jose State - 24
    New Mexico State - 6

Player of the Game
    Jon Graves: 16/24, 201 Yards, 3 TD, 0 Int

Good game GatorJes. I enjoyed playing you and hope to meet again in the future! Good luck getting the hell away from that roster.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  21. GatorJes

GatorJes Walk On

You know you're the Spartans, right? Good game to you too.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Baron

Monster 3rd Quarter puts FIU over Memphis
    In 6 plays FIU scores 3 TD's
    It looked as if the Memphis Tigers were going to give the FIU Golden Panthers a run for their money as the game approached halftime, 10-7 FIU. Several INTs kept the game close. But the Golden Panthers would march down the field to score with a mere 42 seconds left in the half, going up 17-7. Memphis would opt to be aggressive, and apt a late drive of their own. But that aggression would backfire as CB Tony Holmes would intercept the pass and take it 58 yards for the score to give FIU A 24-7 lead (the first score on a Lionel Booth INT-TD).​
    If the last part of the first half had been bad for Memphis, the opening of the 3rd was catastrophic. On the first play from scrimmage in the 2nd half, QB Andrew Kelly would take the ball 80 yards on a read option for the score. A three out by the FIU defense would mark their cont ribution. Kelly would fake the read option and draw the Memphis D in but then passed to Dylan Smith who would take the pass 53 yards for the score, giving FIU an insurmountable 38-7 lead. But the FIU D would add insult to injury as true freshman corner Terrence Rucker would intercept a pass and add salt into the wound, prancing into the endzone 48 yards later.​
    From there the FIU backups would take over and score a FG and TD to cement the crushing of Memphis.​
    Player of the Game: Lionel Booth: 6 Tackles, 1 Sack, 2 INT's, both returned for TD's but one was called back on some bullshit penalty.​

23. Baron

Clearly the Buckeyes need a new coach!

24. Wyrmreaver

Funniest part of this..... I'm the undefeated defending national champs, I beat them 35-0 at their place and they are ranked 12th still while I am 23rd......

25. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Tulsa Escapes the Big Easy With 27-14 Win

While not the most exciting game to watch, Tulsa handed Tulane its first loss of the season and opened up CUSA play with a big win. Both teams were a little slow coming out of the gates, but Tulsa was able to put together a solid drive late in the opening quarter although it would stall after having a 1st and goal from the 4 and settle for a FG. Tulane briefly took the lead early in the 2nd. After successfully converting a fake punt on a 4th and 11 from about midfield, Tulane would capitalize two plays later with a 25 yard TD run. But it would take Tulsa just over a minute to re-take the lead thanks to a beautiful 62 yard TD run from Alex Smith. Tulsa would force an INT on the following possession and Smith would extend the lead shortly after, catching Tulane on a blitz with a screen pass and taking it 40 yards to the house and it looked like the rout was on at 20-7.

But Tulane wouldn't go quietly. After a scoreless 3rd quarter, Tulane would cut the lead early in the 4th to 6 on a 4th and 1 play that RB Payne would break outside and take it 25 yards for the score. But the ensuing kickoff was returned 88 yards by Bruce Williams, effectively sealing the win for Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane would eat up the final 5:49 with Alex Smith chewing up the yards and the clock.

Tulsa
    Jeremy McNeal; 6 of 9, 120 yards, 1 TD
    Alex Smith; 21 carries, 129 yards, 1 TD, 2 catches, 55 yards, 1 TD
    Jake Freeman; 3 catches, 63 yards