Season 6 Week 8 UCLA 28 at Cal 24

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BRUCE80, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

The first qtr saw Cal stop UCLA on the opening drive and force a punt. The Cal QB Anderson who has been a thorn in our side for the last couple years then made a mistake and pitched the ball onto the ground where star DE Fritz would pile onto the ball at the Cal ten. Two plays later RB Dan Thomas would hammer in his first TD for a 7-0 UCLA lead.

Cal and UCLA would trade punts and with UCLA looking to take a larger lead we were moving the ball when 99 ovr 98 acc QB Banks would air mail a post route over wide open WRs head and wham it got picked. Cal would take off on a long drive that UCLA had several chances to stop but couldnt come up with the ball, Anderson just doesnt throw many picks. On a huge third down and 18 the Cal star QB would scramble for 19 and a first down at the UCLA ten. A couple plays later Cal was in the endzone and we were tied up.

The second qtr started and UCLA drove the length of the field quickly and TE Ian Logan would snare a short pass in the endzone to give us the lead back. We would stop Cal again and look to drive, a perfect zone blitz however would catch us throwing into the teeth of it and its a pick...Cal took advantage quickly as our heads were hanging after throwing another pick without being able to secure one of our own and it tied at 14 at the half...this was a crushing blow as we should at least went to the half up 7.

The second half started with a Cal drive, we would hammer Anderson who put the ball on the ground but again a G was able to dive on the ball for Cal and save a FG chance.

CAL leads 17-14. We needed to calm down and get back to our game plan of running the ball and short quick passes as the CAL D was really getting after us. We moved the ball down the field for a TD on a short Thomas run and we led again 21-17.

We traded a couple punts and then about mid fourth qtr the Bears would move the ball and after a couple failed pick attempts and more then a few clutch third downs outta his O Josh would look to take the lead but a clip at the 2 yard line moved him back. (Cool thing about this game is you see some of the penalties, the guy pushed mine in the back and they called it) We would follow that up with a run stuff and a sack. Its 4th and 16 from the 16 and we figured one more play here and the game is ours..Anderson who has kicked UCLA's balls so many times did it again and a great post corner route from the TE left our Db pulling up his britches and a walk in TD puts Cal back on top 24-21.

There was about a minute and a half left. CB Hall who had been picked on all day returned the kickoff 48 yards and gave us life at the Cal 44. A pass over the middle picked up 24 yards and we are in business with under a minute to go. We decided to try and win it with three TOs left.

A pass and a couple runs got us to the 8, first and goal a run stuff, second and goal a sack and a TO. Third and goal from the 13 a pass over the middle to TE Logan got us to the half inch line with 12 seconds left...TO no TOs left now.. We decided to go for the win rather then play for OT on the road. A hand off to RB Dan Thomas who had great blocking for a walk in TD his third of the day.

UCLA leads 28-24 9 seconds left. Kenny Fritz would net his third sack on the last play of the game and UCLA would escape Berkley with a huge road Pac 10 win. Our second last second comeback win of the year.

Props to Josh for his defensive scheme in this game, hadnt seen it before and it confused us for much of the game and made us very uncomfy in the pocket ....very jumpy.

GG Josh.

POG on O was Dan Thomas with 98 yds and 3 tds.

POG on D was Kenny Fritz 8 tackles 2 for loss 3 sacks and 2 FF with 1 FR

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Who has time to read this ish....I have a life....jeez!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. BRUCE80

I hate you JMS.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

That fumble by Cal's QB was something I've never seen before. I mean it was a designed pitch (like HB Toss) and it just went straight to the turf. It really wasn't even CLOSE to the running back, I'd like to know Fosh's take on that and see what happened...

Anyway it was just a game that was kind of ugly to be honest. It turned out to be a great game due to the final score and the late winning TD but even that was anticlimactic. Fosh ain't doing himself any favors with the alternate view on short downs IMO. You weren't even close to the ballcarrier anytime you did that... Just sayin..

5. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Cal just had too many negative plays to overcome in this one. Coverage sacks were painful to watch.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

The team that had the least mistakes won. Both teams didn't seem to have an opening plan. Looked like they both were winging it. 2nd Half I saw Foshe starting to run to then give up on it in the redzone. Like Helli said pretty sloppy ball game. I missed the end....it was late.

7. BRUCE80

Both teams have very good players on D. I relied on my secondary and Fosh on pass rush and coverage as well.

We lack playmakers on O, Cal knows that and really crowds the underneath routes. Cal's str in the WRs which were sorta taken away by my teams best attribute.

In the end it makes for a sloppy game I suppose but trust me it isnt easy playing against Cal and they did have a very good plan on D which takes you out of your best laid plans on O.

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

interview with Anderson

The Fumble on your opening drive give us your take?

"We have practiced that play all season, it wasn't like it was drawn up in the huddle. No audible nothing I took the snap and threw it behind the running back. Never happened in my life."

Still painful to think, how easy it was for UCLA to get this score after Cal held them to a punt on the opening drive.

There was a lot of arm chair QB ing going on after the game did you feel like you had enough time in the pocket.

"Obviously I did at times...and when you have a long time it is painful to watch. Plain and simple call it bad play calling, stellar coverage by the Bruins, there just were not very many receivers open. I could have forced more passes I guess, but our D is tough and was playing well and I did not want to put them at a disadvantage."

Coach

Lots of Analysis whats your take??

"There should be, it was a big game with two great teams. If we would have won the tone would be different but thats the way it goes we had the lead till 9 seconds left.
    I think our Defensive scheme was great but our offensive game plan just did not pan out. We completely underestimated the coverage abilities of these guys at UCLA. We could never loosen them up. Cameron is a great player and should have had more touches plain and simple. But, I will say again this is a tough UCLA team they have A+ defense for a reason!!!'

Great game @BRUCE80 I agree with it might of looked sloppy but if was a grind to play and the Bears are still bruised today...Wisconsin you just might have a sloppy game against the Bruins cant wait to watch.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Agreed that it is always much easier watching from Justin than actually having to beat UCLA on the sticks.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

if you can't take the heat from the media then don't broadcast the games....[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah thats part of justin and video recording. All the critics. I love it personally. @jfosh I would go back while the archive is still there on justin and watch some of the plays. You can learn alot. I always pick up a few things when I edit my videos that I take into the next game.

Wisconsin is still has a long road travel to remain unbeaten. We have to play OSU without my stud HB. They are a team you dont want to be throwing 40 passes.

BTW I love the forum activity around these games. This is what makes the league more than just "playing games". The bullshitting, trash talking, spread making, ect,ect really turns these games into events. Lets keep it up!

12. jfosh

jfosh Super

love it turn up the heat...thats why we broadcast....its fun still have two more games this year...big one with UW and Stanford hope your around for those.

13. jfosh

jfosh Super

I agree I always see alot of things watching the game. Its fun I do the samething when JMS plays do this do that why are you doing that. I love armcharing as much as the next guy.

14. jfosh

jfosh Super

Me and Mogriff play tonight in the uprising will be running the spread....its fun to play an entirely different offense than Cal.

15. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

Sounded like a great game.................................i need some info about these broadcast games....

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Two guys that broadcast their user games, JMS and Fosh

two links to find those broadcasts:

www.justin.tv/jms493

www.justin.tv/jfosh

They will usually post that it's gonna be on, etc.

17. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

cool, thx

wow, what a great scouting tool!