Season 7 Game Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Post here.

2. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Miami Survives in OT
    defeat Alabama 27-24

After a disappointing 8-5 season, the Miami Hurricanes began the 2018-19 by escaping Tuscaloosa with a victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Behind new starter at quarterback Joe Hall, Miami jumped out to a 21-7 halftime lead. However, the Miami offense would become stagnant in the second half, allowing Alabama to creep back into the game, finally tying it at 21 with less than a minute to play.

In the overtime period, after a Tide field goal, Hall would give Miami the victory with a well thrown pass to WR Eddie Walker who sprinted into the endzone on a 27 yard catch-and-run.

Notable Stats
    QB Joe Hall - 18/25, 294 yards, 4 TD, INT
    WR Eddie Walker - 7 yards, 134 yards, 2 TD, long 46
    WR Joel Mack - 7 rec, 131 yards, TD, long 54
    MLB James Rogers - 6 tack, FF
    SS Bill Galloway - 6 tack, INT

3. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

#21[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]#24
    AGGIES STIFLE #21BULLDOGS IN OT 27-20

In a typical SEC brawl, Texas A&M finally came out victorious in overtime fashion. Both teams had their chances to win it, but A&M made more plays down the stretch to get the win. In OT power back Michael Peters bulldozed his way to the 6 on the first play, and 3 plays later Sampson scored on the sneak from a yard away. Georgia would get their turn but after 3 runs netted 6 yards, they had to throw on 4th down and QB John Smith was hit as he tried to throw and the pass sailed over everybody in the back of the endzone.

Texas A&M opened the scoring with a field goal in the first qtr. In the 2nd qtr, Georgia took advantage of a couple gashing runs by RB Trey Wade and Smith in the option game to take a 7-3 lead. Directly after the score, Clay Stephens would fumble on the next Aggie play, setting up Georgia in prime position to take control. But the Aggies defense responded, holding Georgia to 3 plays and a harmless field goal that made it 10-3. The immediate stop would set the tone for the rest of the game.

Late in the 3rd qtr, Georgia started driving deep into Aggie territory again, but somewhere around the 30 Smith would throw what turned out to be a game changing interception inside the TAMU 10. The Aggies quickly marching down the field and finding paydirt from 25 yards out on a connection of Sampson to freshman Pat Goins. UGA would drive back, but had to settle for a punt at the TAMU 36, trying to pin the Aggies back.

It worked, originally, but a couple of clutch runs got it away from the goal line and then Sampson hooked up down the right sideline with the big 6'7 receiver Matthew Dean for 79 yards. Sampson threw what amounted to a jump ball and Dean went over the CB to bring it in at about the 30, then broke a tackle and ran down inside the 5. From there TAMU ran it in with Stanley Holland. UGA then was shut down on four straight plays, getting sacked twice, setting up TAMU for another fg after coming up 2 yards short of running the clock out. 20-13.

It then kept getting crazier, as Smith threw up a jump ball that his receiver came back out of a crowd to get on 3rd down inside a minute to play. That would set up a goal line stand opportunity after Georgia converted another 3rd down in hurry up mode. However the Bulldogs came up with a beautifully run screen play to Derrick Bell for the easy touchdown on the third 3rd down conversion of the drive and we were headed to OT.

GG xGRIDIRONxGURUx Like I said you ran it better than I expected and shut down my semi-option attack but the fact that you couldn't get the touchdowns early in the game was your undoing. I have a resilient team this year and we expect more like this throughout the season. Also, that catch by Dean was really, really big. You were about to flip the field position in your favor late in the game and you were up 13-10 at the time. I hope to see you again down the road.

4. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

same.. was a good one... i got off the game plan too much... screwed me up trying to be cute... cant wait to go again, i have a much better idea for some stuff as i am sure you do as well to use next time...

5. Jayrah

#22[​IMG]@[​IMG]#18
    Aggies Win Game, Lose Sampson For Year

On one of the most disheartening touchdowns passes coach Sumlin can remember, Sampson hit Matthew Dean in the endzone on a crossing route while getting drilled by a blitzing linebacker. Sampson immediately clutched at his knee and Aggie Nation had their hearts jump into their throats. It was confirmed later that Sampson suffered a complete PCL tear and is done playing in a TAMU uniform.

The Aggies seemed very down after this news and Oregon's qb Eric Goss (256 yards, 0 ints, 77 yards rush, 3 total tds) looked unstoppable, throwing and scrambling at will over the next 2 drives to give Oregon a 14-7 lead midway through the 2nd qtr. But then freshman qb Drew Muhammad quickly became the new Aggie leader, leading 2 long drives for a FG and then a TD right before halftime to take the 17-14 lead.

In the second half Muhammad threw TDs of 77 and 87 yards to get the 31-24 victory and the defense blasted Goss to force a fumble on his 22nd rush (his first fumble of the game) and jump on it to secure the win. Casey Smith and Matthew Dean each went over 100 yards receiving and caught 2 tds apiece. Muhammad threw for 296, 0 ints and 3 tds.

After the game coach Sumlin addressed the media: "This is why you plan well with your backup, he could become the starter at any time. We are sad to know that Roberts days here are done, he was just coming into his own and was going to be a heck of a qb this season for us. Drew's ready though, we've been preparring him over his redshirt year last season and he's obviously a valuable asset to our program. He's going to have an outstanding career and he throws a beautiful football."

6. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

The new offense opened up brilliantly for the Tigers. New QB Russell threw for 265 yards and 5 TDs. WR Wilson only had 3 catches, but they were all for TDs. Southern Miss never had a chance in this one.

#3 LSU 56 - #21 Southern Miss 7

7. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Hmmm....I thought you were going to run the Cheez offense?

8. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Mizzou: a lot
    Wyoming: not much

Wyoming? Really?

Mizzou picks up where they left off last year, glad for the tune up game before a 1 vs 2 matchup with Arkansas next week

9. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Costly Victory for Miami
    Best Notre Dame 24-0

The Miami defense held the potent Notre Dame offense to less than 150 yards and a mere 6 first downs, while the offense used 3 Joe Hall TD passes to outclass the Irish 24-0 in South Bend. After taking a field goal lead midway through the first quarter, the Canes would distance themselves with two second quarter touchdowns. Senior WR Eddie Walker known by his teammates as "White Label" would put the game away with his second TD reception of the game from 47 yards out.

Yet, the biggest story of the game was the injury to Miami starting HB Keith Sutton. On a day in which he eclipsed the hundred yard mark, Sutton strained his back after landing awkwardly following a nondescript run. Sutton is said to miss 10 weeks and should return near the end of the season. Red shirt FR Joe Sowell will assume the starting halfback position with rSO Tony Thornton moving up to #2 on the depth chart.

Notable Stats
    QB Joe Hall - 13/24, 189 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT
    HB Keith Sutton - 17 car, 111 yards, long 20
    WR Eddie Walker - 4 rec, 75 yards, 2 TD, long 47
    TE Dylan Meyer - 4 rec, 49 yards, TD, long 22
    MLB James Rogers - 7 tack, sack, 2 FF
    CB Vince Burton - 1 tack, 3 INT

10. MexiRican35

I might throw it a little more. PA seemed to work, even against the cpu :eek:

11. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Arkansas 31
    Missouri 3

Arkansas takes SEC title game rematch

The game was dominated by Arkansas defense which consistently ended long Missouri drives with INTs. Marcus Smith had a huge day at FS, picking off 3 passes and racking up 182 INT return yards including an 88 pick six on the Tigers opening drive. The new Arkansas offense ran pretty smoothly converting 8 of 12 third downs. This allowed Arkansas to run the ball with moderate success 37 times and hold on to the ball for almost 20 minutes.

Missouri's offense just wasn't clicking on all cylinders. Receivers frequently overlapped allowing extra defenders to break up or intercept passes. The Missouri QB frequently overthrew WRs leaving only the defender a play on the ball, and occasionally misread zones. Not something Arkansas is use to seeing out of there now cross conference rivals.

12. Wyrmreaver

GG whygodwhy1111

ugly on my part, 4 INTs, all on your side of the 50 (though I think the LOS was behind that on 1). Every time I got something going in terms of moving the ball I would F it up with a turnover, that safety, hell, both your safeties, are beast mode and made me pay for every bad decision or poor throw.

now I know what it feels like to be recchem2000 or gowazzucougs :D

13. Wyrmreaver

Mizzou slaughters Illinois 70-6

The poor Illini ran into a Tigers team still mad after getting crushed by Arkansas at home breaking an almost 3 year home winning streak. The starters went to the bench early in the third as Mizzou completely dismantled Illinois. QB Jason Jones bounced back after his horrible day against Arkansas to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs and quieting whispers that he should possibly be benched.

14. Jayrah

This makes me sad. Now having to start my freshman qb, I am not liking what I see from this Arky defensive analysis. I generally have moderate success stopping the Razorback running game though, so if we can stay away from turnovers we can keep it close. Not until week 6 but I have SMU this week and then my 2nd bye in 3 weeks for week 5.

15. Wyrmreaver

In fairness, a lot of this was me playing like crap. I will say however, that Arkansas' secondary is ridiculous, his guys were stuck to mine like glue and he spied me pretty much all game (the right move considering my penchant for taking off). By the time I realized I should focus on trying to run the ball I was already down 17 and getting near to halftime so didn't have the luxury to pass less.

16. Jayrah

Sounds about right :D

17. Jayrah

[​IMG]@[​IMG]#14
    SMU Flusters A&M Again, Aggies Pull It Out 28-24

I do not like the SMU Mustangs. They have been a thorn in our side ever since blowing us out in year 1. This particular time it was a 17-0 halftime lead that very nearly ruined TAMU's season. It's already going to be tough enough slinging a freshman around in the SEC schedule, but holy cow there's NO reason to lose to SMU. Thankfully, a couple turnovers and a well timed punt return for a TD by Holland did the trick. SMU jumped on top late after an unstoppable drive, but Michael Peters powered into the endzone in the waning seconds and TAMU stopped 4 straight desperation passes by SMU for the win.

Another bye before facing the vaunted Razorbacks in week 6.

18. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Note to self...keep SMU on Jayrah schedule every season!

19. MexiRican35

HB Green was not welcomed back to the campus where he transferred from. In the 2nd quarter, he left the game with a concussion. And with all the new rules about having a doctors note and mommy's blessing, he was not allowed back in the game. Yates filled in nicely for him, scoring 3 times. The defense only allowed 116 yards as the Tigers cruised by the Sooners.

#2 LSU 41 - Oklahoma 7

20. Jayrah

That's already happening. By the way I need a game in Cali next season

21. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Miami Gets Last Laugh
    defeat Georgia 38-28

The Canes found themselves in an uphill battle throughout the game as the offense committed critical mistakes while the defense was unable to stop the scrambling Georgia quarterback. After trailing for the majority of the afternoon, the Canes would fightback to take the lead with just over two minutes remaining on a 22 yard TD pass from QB Joe Hall to HB Tony Thornton. Nevertheless, the Georgia Bulldogs would come back to take back the lead at 28-24 just a minute later. The Canes, again needing to fight back, used a long kickoff return to set-up good field position and then would reclaim the lead on a 32 yard TD pass to WR Maurice Bowman.

Any hopes of a Bulldog win went up in smoke as the kick returner fumbled the ball and TE James Hill returned the fumble 21 yards for the clinching touchdown.

Notable Stats
    QB Joe Hall - 20/29, 368 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT
    HB Joe Sowell - 16 car, 88 yards, long 9
    WR Eddie "White Label" Walker - 7 rec, 137 yards, TD, long 59
    WR Maurice Bowman - 2 rec, 35 yards, TD, long 32
    MLB James Rogers - 10 tack, sack

22. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Miami Dispatches Gamecocks
    defeat South Carolina 52-13

Coming off a heart-stopping victory against the Georgia Bulldogs, the Miami Hurricanes were expected to have a letdown against the South Carolina Gamecocks. Though Miami did have a slow start, the Canes slowly began to pull away from South Carolina, before putting it into overdrive in the second half.

After a 3-3 tie to end the first quarter, Miami's HB Joe Sowell scored his first TD of the game on a short TD run to give the Canes a 10-3 lead. After a second Gamecock field goal, Miami would end the half with two touchdowns in the last three minutes to go into the half up 24-6. South Carolina would take advantage of a Miami turnover to cut the lead at 24-13, but CB Shannon Williams' kickoff return for a touchdown would again push the lead to 18. With the momentum from the touchdown all but gone, South Carolina would not score again for the remainder of the game. The Canes on the other hand, would find the endzone three more times, including Sowell's third TD of the game on a 79 yard run.

Notable Stats
    QB Joe Hall - 15/21, 279 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
    HB Joe Sowell - 14 car, 145 yards, 3 TD, long 79
    WR Eddie "White Label" Walker - 5 rec, 108 yards, long 46
    WR Maurice Bowman - 4 rec, 89 yards, TD, long 36
    TE James Hill - 3 rec, 45 yards, 2 TD, long 31
    OLB Jeremy Jennings - 7 tack, FF

23. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Canes Win Slugfest
    defeat LSU 17-14

Miami and LSU engaged in a low-scoring scoring affair in front of a sellout crowd in Miami. Both offenses leaned on their running games and a generally conservative game plan. Ultimately, Miami would make one less mistake than LSU, allowing the Hurricanes to come away with a hard fought 17-14 win.

The Canes opened the game with a 54 yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead after a sure touchdown pass was dropped in the end zone. After an LSU punt, the Canes would extend the lead to 10-0 behind a seven yard Joe Sowell TD run. The Tigers would finally show signs of life offensively late in the second quarter, but an interception in Miami territory ended their threat. It was then that Miami would commit the early candidate for bone-head play of the season. Facing a 3rd down around their 30 yard line with about 15 seconds left, Miami decided to try to convert and get points before the half. As QB Joe Hall gained the first down, instead of sliding and giving the Canes a chance to call a timeout, he continued running and would fumble, allowing LSU to recover and return the fumble 55 yards for a TD, cutting the Miami lead to 10-7.

Unfortunately for LSU, the momentum did not carry over into the second half as they would go scoreless in the third quarter. Similarly, the Canes would fail to score in the third, tough they would find themselves at the LSU goal line to begin the fourth. Miami, would again find the end zone behind Sowell's second TD run of the game, this time from three yards out. Both teams exchanged punts midway through the quarter before the LSU offense to finally get on the board with a 48 yard TD pass from QB Ben Russell to WR Russ Battle, cutting the lead to 17-14. Holding all three timeouts the Tigers kicked deep to Miami and forced the Canes to go three-and-out, but would be unable to score again.

MexiRican35, Good game! The two interceptions were big, especially since you were in scoring position. My only plan going into the game was to not turn the ball over and take my changes with my offense otherwise, and outside of the bonehead play, it worked out okay.

Notable Stats
    LSU Miami
    QB Ben Russell - 10/12, 145 yards, TD, 2 INT QB Joe Hall - 12/17, 145 yards
    HB Kellen Green - 12 car, 53 yards, long 11 HB Joe Sowell - 15 car, 46 yards, 2 TD, long 8
    WR Russ Battle - 2 rec, 63 yards, TD, long 48 WR Joel Mack - 4 rec, 48 yards, long 26
    SS Pete Manning - 3 tack, FR, TD WR Eddie "White Label" Walker - 4 rec, 45 yards, long 15

24. Wyrmreaver

Auburn gives one away at home.....

Auburn opened the game with an impressive drive, then followed it with impressive defensive efforts and more impressive drives as well as deft clock management to take a 24-6 halftime advantage over Mizzou. Mizzou came out fast in the second half, getting their first TD roughly a minute into the 3rd quarter to narrow the gap to 24-13. After Auburn sputtered on offense, Mizzou got an impressive punt return to inside the Auburn 30, but would settle for a FG to get within 8. On the very next play, Auburn QB Nathan Graham would make a terrible read and throw into the flat where the Mizzou CB was camped out and would make an easy pick 6. After a failed 2 pt conversion Auburn still held a 24-22 advantage. They would put together another excellent drive and punch in another TD to take a 31-22 lead into the final quarter. Mizzou would score on the first play of the final quarter to get the lead back to 2 points at 31-29. 3 plays later Graham would make another bad throw and Mizzou safety Carlos Johnson would get his offense back on the field at midfield. Mizzou would score another TD to take their first lead of the game, 36-31 with 4:44 to play. Auburn would again struggle on offense, going 3 and out with 3:33 to play. After a huge gain on a read option, Mizzou looked poised to put the game away, but 2 sacks in a row by the Auburn defense, their 5th and 6th of the game, would force a punt. The punt would bounce out of bounds at the 5 yard lide with 1:45 left. On first down, Graham would drop back to pass with all 5 eligible receivers out in patterns and no help blockers. MLB Johnny Gipson would tear through the line unblocked and record Mizzou's second sack of the game, this one in the opposing endzone good for 2 points! Auburn had used all but 1 timeout so Missouri was able to just run out the clock for a huge comeback win.

GG recchem2000

25. MexiRican35

For 3 1/2 quarters, the LSU offense could do very little in scoring points. The only score came from a TD before the half. But a FSU FG gave them a 20-7 halftime lead.

The with 5 minutes remaining and down by 16, the Tigers finally got rolling with a TD pass to Wilson. The 2 point conversion failed, leaving them down by 10. The Tigers decided to play defense with all 3 timeouts left, and forced a Seminole punt. LSU got the FG to make it a one score game. Needing the onside kick, the Seminole hands team fumbled with the ball in the rain, giving the Tigers a chance. Wilson took a deep pass all the way to the 2, and Green pounded it in from there.

Overtime. FSU ball. First play from scrimmage, SS Manning picks off a pass in the flat, and with no one in front of him, takes it all the way for the game winner.

GG Kapono

#9 LSU 29 - #18 Florida St 23