Season 7 game recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Wyrmreaver, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

post up the user games at a minimum

2. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG] 58
    [​IMG] 7

Rutgers is no match for Army in West Point.

After the teams traded punts for a few possessions, Army finally found their groove, first with a ten yard TD pass to beat the blitz then with a 44 yard FG to make it 10-0 after the 1st quarter. Rutgers continued to struggle on offense and was forced to punt again early in the second. Beau Olsen scampered back and fielded the ball inside his own ten then proceeded to outrun the entire Rutgers coverage team en route to a 94 yard score. Rutgers answered with an INT and Army tacked on another FG. Rutgers threw another INT but the defense held. Then with 20 seconds until the break, the Scarlet Knights threw their third INT of the quarter, this one in the flats where CB Mark Easley would go the other way for a pick 6 and a 27-0 advantage at the break for Army.

The third quarter picked up right where the second left off with Army scoring a pair of TDs and Rutgers punting and throwing an INT. Rutgers finally got on the board when Lamont Smith for Army threw an INT that went back for a TD the other way. The 4th saw two more INTs by the Rutgers passing attack and Army tacked on 17 more points, sending Rutgers home with a sour start to their season.

GG Wilfiger PSU 38

Army
    QB Lamont Smith: 6 of 18, 177 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 50 yards rushing
    HB Seth Pope: 19 carries for 193 yards and 2 TDs
    WR Chaz Matthews: 3 catches for 139 yards and 2 TDs
    MLB Antoine Perry: 7 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 INT, 1 pass defensed

Rutgers
    QB Kyle McQueen: 9 of 27, 102 yards, 6 INT
    HB Neil McCarthy: 19 carries for 54 yards
    WR Adam Quinn: 1 catch for 28 yards
    DT Chad Smiley: 4 tackles, 2 TFL, 1.5 sacks
    CB Brandon Gillett: 4 tackles, 1 INT, 1 def TD

3. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Bears Endure Minutemen, 45-27
    Cal won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. The first two plays went for paltry yardage, so the UMass offense put the ball in QB Holland's hands on 3rd down. This ending up being an agonizing theme for the game, as UMass finished 10/12 on 3rd, and was at 9/9 at one point in the game. After converting the first 3rd and 8, the offense rode the momentum to the endzone with a 4 yard TD rush from QB Holland. Unphased, the Golden Bear offense came out swinging. QB Spencer connected on his first two passes of the game, a 42 yarder to WR Inman (sitting in for injured WR Davis) and a 24 yard TD to WR Conley. The Minutemen offense returned to the field and starting moving the ball, but QB Holland got greedy and chucked up a prayer into the realm of Cal's 2 elite safeties, FS Barrow (98 OVR) and SS Lewis (96 OVR). SS Lewis came down with the jump ball, and the Cal offense started their next drive, bringing the 1st to a close. 7-7 tie.

Cal wanted to open up the 2nd quarter with a bang, but the plan backfired horribly. After shaking off a blitzer on play action, QB Spencer tried to connect deep with WR Higdon, but CB Ferwerda came down with the ball in the endzone. And so began the most irritating, rake-your-eyes-out drive for the Minutemen offense. QB Holland converted 5 3rd down conversions, with his last being a TD pass to WR Hill in the back of the endzone. The drive took an astounding 5 minutes, 20 seconds, leaving only a minute 30 for the Bears to respond. Cal took out the hurry-up spread, and began working their way down the field through the air. It took no more than 40 seconds for the Bears to find themselves across the 50, and QB Spencer then found backup QB (and 6th string WR) Johnson with a step on his defender. QB/WR Johnson caught the pass and barely outran the defense for a 48 yard TD reception. But the Minutemen were not done. QB Holland scrambled around a bit on his 2nd play from scrimmage, and a horrible defensive breakdown from the not-so-elite safety tandem led to a wide open WR Daniels, crushing the Bears defense with a 85 yard TD reception. But even the Bears were not done. With only 19 seconds left, QB Spencer finagled his way down the field into kicking range with only 1 second left, and K Gschwend nailed a 55 yarder to bring the Bears within 4. 21-17 UMass.

Cal received the ball in the second half, and proceeded to relight the fireworks immediately. QB/WR Johnson took an option around the right edge for a backbreaking 70 yards, and backup HB Johnson punched the ball in from 5 yards out to give the Bears the lead again. The frantic pace held steady, and UMass came out swinging, as well. Unfortunately, QB Holland got a bit greedy once again, and lobbed up a ball to star WR Davis. CB Smiley outpositioned him and collected another interception within the Cal 5 yard line. The Bears offense found new life and moved right back down the field, aided by a huge 23 yard 3rd down conversion to WR Higdon deep in UMass territory. The Bears finished the drive with a pounding TD run from HB Wallace. The wind was completely taken out of the Minutemens' sails when QB Holland threw his 3rd pick of the day - an underneath throw that was taken back to the house by MLB Ramsey. UMass got the ball back and their next drive took the game to the final frame. 38-21 Cal.

The Minutemen were forced to punt it away after a sack, and HB Wallace finally found some space on the next drive. He scampered around the left edge for 57 yards, setting up a TD run from backup HB McMahan, all but ending UMass' bid for an upset. WR Davis hauled in a miracle 83 yard TD to end the last UMass drive, but the Bears grinded the rest of the clock out. 45-27 Cal.

QB Spencer: 15/19, 279 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
    HB Wallace: 9 att, 83 yards, 1 TD
    QB/WR Johnson: 1 att, 70 yards, 1 rec 48 yards, 1 rec TD

QB Holland: 19/34, 370 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs, 10 att, 10 yards, 1 TD
    WR Daniels: 4 rec, 127 yards, 1 TD
    HB Carlson: 7 att, 29 yards, 1 rec, 2 yards

GG Five_Fifs, seeing you 9/9 on 3rd down made me want to throw up, but I just couldn't get off the field on D. Just a couple of big plays on O were the difference.

4. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

CU 26 CSU 23 OT

This was not the same Colorodo State from last year. Same can be said for the Colorodo defense. We were outplayed all game. If not for a couple goal line stands, one in the fourth and one in OT; the outcome would be much different. J. Whitaker went 26-44, 305 yrds and 2 TD's on us. I can't believe he missed on 18 attempts. There were times he was Houdini out there. Also, probably not a good thing when two of your three leading tacklers were corners. We couldn't generate enough turnover's. The one we got was an interception by last year's leader Gore. Our front four will have to play a lot better if we expect a repeat from last season.

5. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Bears Stymie Colorado, 41-0

Colorado won the toss and elected to defer. The Bears didn't come out strong, with a very rusty drive that almost ended in an interception twice. The Buffs defense forced the Bears off the field, but a nice punt inside the 10 gave Colorado a long field. The Bears defense were the ones that came out ready to play. They forced a fumble (recovered by CU), made a TFL, and forced a 3 and out on the first Colorado drive, asserting their physicality. QB Spencer took advantage of the good field position by moving through the air, ending the drive with a 6 yard TD pass to now-healthy WR Davis. After smashing the next run by Colorado, ROLB Payne stepped under a flag route from the TE for a pick 6. Undaunted, QB Woodard kept pushing the ball downfield, and after getting to the redzone, the Buffs were confident they would at least get on the board. That fell apart when CB Clark won a jump ball in the endzone and took it back 100+ yards for a backbreaking score to end the 1st. 21-0 Cal.

The Buffs tried to keep the game in hand with small, high percentage plays, but the Bears defense always came through with a huge play to put Colorado out of reach. The first Buffs drive of the 2nd quarter was set back by a sack from DT Charles, forcing a punt. The Bears offense mimicked the Buffs offense by chaining together small plays, but they too were stifled by strong, clutch defense, forcing a FG in the redzone. QB Woodard tried to strike quickly as the half was ending, but another interception by CB Estes ended the effort. 24-0 Cal.

QB Woodard ate a sack on the first play from scrimmage of the 2nd half, setting a tone for the remainder of the game. The 2nd half was pretty uneventful, with suffocating defense from Cal and a vanilla offensive gameplan. The only highlight was a beautiful punt return for a TD by return ace WR Washington. Between the overwhelmed Buffs O-line and the confident play of the back 7, the Bears cruised to a shutout win to go 1-0 in conference play. Next up - @Arizona State.

QB Spencer: 9/12, 110 yards, 1 TD
    HB Wallace: 12 att, 49 yards
    HB McMahan: 8 att, 96 yards, 1 TD

QB Woodard: 13/26, 174 yards, 4 INTs
    HB Weber: 9 att, 48 yards
    TE Bean: 3 rec, 65 yards, 2 drops

GG Jamie, held my O to 262 yards of total offense, despite a huge talent gap and playing away from home. I know it'll be awhile before your recruits are really in the system, but stick with it - ASU was in a similar position (ish, they never were a 1* :p) and they're in position to contend for championships; and it only took a couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wyrmreaver

[​IMG] 41
    [​IMG] 34

Army spots LSU an early lead but roars back for a big win!

LSU got the ball first and wasted little time. Relying mostly on the passing attack, the Tigers marched down the field. On first and 10 from the 35 Army strong safety AJ Lee bit hard on the post and left the flag route wide open for a long TD pass for LSU. Army got a big run to jump start their first drive, but LaMont Smith missed a lurking corner and threw a terrible pass on his first attempt. Undersized but talented Leon McKenzie made Smith pay by not just snatching the INT but also returning it 44 yards for a TD and a 14-0 LSU lead. Back in business again, Army would abruptly take a sack. On second and long, Seth Pope would take a draw, bounce out and then back in, fighting for a ten yard gain, but a big hit would jar the ball loose and LSU would recover. The Tigers would fail to get a first down, but the great field position would net them a long FG for a 17-0 lead. The 1st quarter would end as Army drove into LSU territory with the Tigers still holding the 17 point advantage. On the third play of the second quarter, Army would finally get on the board, punching in a TD on a 4th and inches play at the goal line. LSU would have their drive cut short on a big 3rd down sack from junior DE Jason Hayden, who was near the QB all day, recording 2.5 sacks and more than a few hurries. Army would get a spark on a long scramble from Smith on 2nd down to get going and Smith would finish things up with a 4 yard read option keeper to close within three at 17-14. LSU's next possession went sack, INT. Army acted quickly and Smith would hook up with star wideout Chaz Matthews on a fade route from the 7 to take a 21-17 lead with just over a minute to play. A couple plays later, LSU sophomore WR Quinton Thomas would embarass SS AJ Lee for the second time, catching a 61 yard TD to retake the lead for the Tigers. Army wouldn't go away though and a long pass from Smith to Ramsey followed by a quick timeout allowed the Black Knights to even things up with a 39 yard FG. 24-24 at the half.
    [​IMG]This TD gave army a 21-17 lead late in teh second quarter after being down 17-0 in the first quarter.

Army got it first in the third and managed a FG to take the lead, 27-24. LSU promptly threw an INT and Army answered with an INT of their own before LSU would throw yet another INT, their third of the game in what was a sloppy sequence for both teams. After the turnover merry go round, Army got back on track with 3 straight completions, the third an 8 yard TD strike to Leon West for a 34-24 lead. LSU, needing a big play to slow the momentum turned to the hot hand. Quinton Thomas once again burned an Army Safety, this time true freshman Orlando Davis was the mark as Thomas beat him for a jump ball, juked the frosh out of his shoes and coasted in for a 67 yard TD to close within three, 34-31, which is how the third quarter ended. The LSU defense came up big, forcing Army's only punt of the game to start the fourth quarter. LSU would put together a nice drive, but would ultimately fail to punch it in for 7 in the redzone and would settle for a FG to even things up at 34 with about three and a half minutes left. On the first play of the Black Knights next drive, Seth Pope would take a counter and rumble for a 53 yard gain all the way to the LSU 22. After an 11 yard pass to the TE, Pope would get the rock again and take a stretch play in for an 11 yard TD and a 41-34 lead with 2:37 left. LSU, with plenty of time, shrugged off a sack and an incompletion with a long sramble and some critical completions to get thh ball into the redzone. Having burned him twice earlier, the Tigers once again targeted AJ Lee, this time with a double post routes. Quinton Thomas was the intended receiver, but this time Lee got great position and picked off LSU QB Jake Coley spoiling a 361 yard day for him and preserving the Black Knights victory.
    [​IMG]AJ Lee redeemed himself with this game sealing INT with less than a minute left in the game.

KEY STATS
    LSU
    After LaMarr Russell put up big numbers against Army the last 2 seasons, Tigers HBs only managed 40 yards on 11 attempts
    J. Coley - 20 of 31 for 361 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs
    Q. Thomas - 4 catches for 147 yards and 2 TDs

ARMY
    L. Smith - 20 of 28 for 285 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, plus 40 yards rushing and 1 TD
    S. Pope - 15 carries for 121 yards and 2 TDs, plus 3 catches for 53 yards
    C. Matthews - 6 catches for 68 yards and 1 TD

GG Automatik , hard fought shootout for the second season in a row

• Like Like x 1
  7. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

GG Wyrmreaver, the past 2 matchups you torched me through the air so I was expecting another similar game but your ability to run on me was the difference IMO oh and me throwing 4 INTS!!!:banghead: might have something to do with it.

8. Wyrmreaver

99 OVR HB..... My HBs are like my WRs were last year, I just have a ton if good ones. After I spotted you 17 points I felt like I was in real trouble, but my guys seemed to settle in. My O-line came up big I thought, the only scrambles I had were either because I didn't see my first three options open up or a couple times where you blitzed a corner or safety and I ran away. The 2 INTs in a row for you in the 3rd when you could have taken control were huge for me.

9. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Tigers overcome 4 Turnovers to beat the Minutemen

Jake Coley perfectly placed 59 yard scoring strike to WR Quinton Thomas exemplified the type of play coach Heisenberg wanted to see from LSU's offense before the Tigers start SEC play.
    If only that play had been the norm instead of the exception in a mistake-filled outing, Heisenberg might not have been describing a somber locker room following No. 8 LSU's 38-17 victory over 14th ranked UMass.
    "It was just sloppy play," Coley said. "We have been sloppy week in and week out. We have to clean it up. Right now we are not playing LSU football. I'm very disappointed in myself and the team right now." Coley has thrown 9 INTs already in 3 games this year.

Coley hit Thomas four times for 143 yards and 1 touchdown, and the quarterback finished 14 of 25 for 334 yards passing with 3 Tds and 4 interceptions.

Running Back John Payne taking over for arguably the greatest player in LSU history had his best day of the year with 165 yards and 1 TD.

UMass held an early 6-0 lead after two short FGs, but were never able to gain any momentum with the crucial drops(1 that would have been a TD and a few more that would have converted 3rd downs) and the turnovers 5, including 3 INT inside the Redzone.

The Minutemen were unable to stop the Tigers rushing attack in the 2nd half as LSU outscored them 24-11 to preserve the victory.

Key Stats: 5 UMass TOs, 5 Drops

It was over when: After UMass cut the score to 21-14 and Coley found his speedy WR Thomas over the top for a 59 yard score.

Player of the game: John Payne - 17 carries 165 yards and 1 TD (pictured below)[​IMG]

GG Five_Fifs those drops and fumbles were backbreakers for you, lost all momentum. GL the rest of the way.

10. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Bears Defeat Sun Devils, 42-28

The Golden Bears won the toss and opted to receive the ball in the 2nd half. ASU attacked the Cal defense with balanced playcalling, but the Bears made sure to let everyone know that the going was gonna be tough on the ground. QB Lee started out hot, but a couple of incompletions stalled the opening drive. K Washington lined up for a 42 yard FG, but narrowly missed it to the right. The Cal offense came out similarly, and the ASU defense didn't give HB Wallace much room to run. However, QB Spencer moved the Bears down the field efficiently, culminating in a 20 yard TD pass to WR Inman. The theme of long ASU drives and explosive Cal plays was evident as the first quarter came to a close. 7-0 Cal.

The second ASU drive mimicked the first, with balanced playcalling and stifling run defense from Cal. QB Lee used both his arms and legs to will the Sun Devils down the field, but ate a sack deep in Cal territory on 3rd down. On one of the most gutsy calls of the year (and likely due to kicked struggles), ASU decided to go for it on 4th and long from the Cal 32. QB Lee found the versatile CB Rogers down the middle of the field on a colossal defensive breakdown from SS Lewis, completing a 31 yard TD pass. But QB Spencer and the Bears wasted no time responding. After a couple of intermediate completions, QB Spencer also struck gold down the seam for a 56 yard TD pass to WR Inman. ASU tried to respond, but they were forced to punt after going all in on passing. QB Spencer tasted blood in the water, anticipating a quick move down the field to clench the momentum, but was caught being too greedy by true freshman CB Smith. Smith stepped under a flag route for a pick, and the ASU offense used the momentum and field position to punch in a tying TD to end the half. 14-14 Tie.

The Bears came out swinging in the second half, blazing down the field for a 5 play, 74 yard TD drive, ending in a short TD run from HB Wallace. ASU remained balanced on O, but their half-opening drive stalled and they were forced to punt. HB Wallace and the Cal O-line began to wear down the ASU run defense, as HB Wallace found some gaping holes to add to the offensive output. HB McMahan finished off the drive with a 3 yard TD. ASU got the ball back, but their patient style was quickly becoming a liability. 28-14 Cal.

It took 2 and a half minutes for ASU to find the endzone after beginning the 4th quarter, but that score made it a 7 point game. Unfortunately, Cal's explosive offense kept all of their momentum. Wrinkle QB Johnson took an option around the right side to begin the next drive, and found boatloads of room. He was met by a tackler, but not before he could pitch it to the trailing WR Higdon, who finished the play off - a 75 yard TD run. QB Lee was forced to become aggressive, and he paid dearly when his curl route was undercut by CB Estes and taken back to the house, making it a 21 point game. QB Lee did find success on the next drive with an explosive 50+ yard TD pass, and the ASU defense forced a 3 and out on the next Cal drive (which consisted of HB Wallace left, right, and up the middle). With only 2 minutes left, the Sun Devil offense tried to make a game of it, but were forced into dinking and dunking down the field, which melted clock away. They took almost 2 minutes to get down the field, and a 4th down incompletion sealed their fate. QB Spencer kneeled out the rest of the clock. 42-28 Cal.

Stat of the game: 19:27 TOP for ASU, to Cal's 8:33.

QB Spencer: 12/15, 261 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
    HB Wallace: 12 att, 79 yards, 1 TD
    WR Inman: 4 rec, 115 yards, 2 TDs

QB Lee: 27/45, 379 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 7 att, 30 yards
    CB Rogers: 1 att, 3 yards, 3 rec, 60 yards, 1 TD, 1 sack
    WR Marshall: 4 rec, 99 yards, 1 TD

GG qclassic 22, even though this game doesn't mean much in the Pac-12 South race. Barring something devastating (like an upstart Colorado/Stanford >_>), I'll see you in the P12CG.

11. Wyrmreaver

Army 40
    Colorado 7

Tough outing for the Buffaloes. Early on their defense held tough, surrendering just 3 field goals despite their offense giving the Black Knights favorable field position. Eventually though, 3 INTs from the Buffalo QB and 127 yards rushing from Seth Pope took their toll and Colorado just lacked the talent to make the plays they needed.

GG Jamie I felt like you called a good game, I think you only made one bad call on D when you had an LB on my WR which resulted in a TD, otherwise, you had solid plays dialed up but my guys were just too good. Case in point was that GL run where 2 guys drilled my HB for a loss but he stayed on his feet and the rest of your D overran the sweep leaving nobody home on the backside after he finished his break tackle animations

12. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Yeah, 11 drops did not help either. I'm not saying I would have won; but it would have been closer had my guys held the friggin ball. Those GL broken tackle run and LB over the WR touchdowns were demoralizing.

13. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

#2 Bears Bloody #1 Cardinal, 48-20

Stanford won the toss and elected to receive. Their gameplan was crystal clear throughout the ball game - run the ball. They found moderate success running it up the field, but on QB Young's first dropback of the game, he was laid out by a Cal defender and had to be helped off the field. QB Brooks was forced to carry the load himself, but his first throw of the game was an interception to CB Estes, igniting the California crowd. The Bears wanted to run the ball, too, and did so with moderate success as well. The Bears' opening drive ended successfully as QB Spencer threaded a needle to WR Davis down the middle of the field for a 36 yard TD. Stanford remained composed, though, and forced their way down the field with more option runs. K Smith had an opportunity to seize momentum, but failed to do so as his kick ricocheted off of the left upright. QB Spencer established a connection with seldom-used blocking TE Mack, connecting with the big man twice for big yardage to set up a 1 yard TD run from HB Wallace. The Cardinal refused to stray from their gameplan, driving into the 2nd. 14-0 Cal.

As the Bears' run defense began to stiffen up, the arm of QB Brooks began to let loose. He found true freshman WR Nixon on 3rd down for a 27 yard score, bringing the Cardinal within 7. The Spencer-Mack connection didn't fail to steal momentum right back when Mack got open near the right sideline and rumbled for 69 yards. QB Spencer found TD-machine WR Inman soon after, extending the lead. Stanford had a bit of big play in them, as well, and showed it off with a 2 play TD drive of their own, ending with a TD pass to TE Robinson. Not to be outdone, the Cal offense answered with a 3 play drive, highlighted by a deep ball on 3rd and 3 deep in Cal territory, to none other than the speedy WR Davis. Stanford kept up the high tempo, but the game slowed down after FS Barrow jarred the ball loose from QB Brooks on a scramble, ending in a FR for Cal. The Bears took their time down the field, opting to knock in a short FG as time expired in the half. 31-14 Cal.

Cal retained their momentum after receiving the kickoff in the 3rd, completing a balanced drive that ended with a TD pass to TE Johnson. Stanford held serve, hitting on 3 consecutive big plays to answer with a TD. Sensing the need for points, Stanford opted to go for 2, but the Bears MLB Ramsay got his hands on the attempted pass and knocked it down. The Cardinal's hopes were all but dashed when HB Wallace found a crease with no secondary defenders, sprinting to the endzone for a backbreaking 68 yard TD run. After a 3 and out, the game was decided, and the teams ran the clock out to end the game. 48-20 Cal.

QB Spencer: 11/11, 320 yards, 4 TDs, 2 att, 2 yards
    HB Wallace: 18 att, 167 yards, 2 TDs
    WR Davis: 4 rec, 153 yards, 2 TDs

QB Brooks: 10/14, 225 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 5 att, -2 yards
    HB Fine: 9 att, 23 yards, 1 rec, 12 yards
    TE Robinson: 3 rec, 68 yards, 1 TD

GG jared16evans, game would've been much different if Young didn't get messed up. I was much more worried about his legs than anything else, because your WRs aren't too scary yet.

14. Wyrmreaver

Tough one Jared, Abominatrix is a top shelf sim style player, sounds like you did okay against him, he's just friggin tough man!

15. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Bears Dominate Rematch, Win 38-0

The Pac-12 rematch between ASU and Cal had a championship flavor - in all likelihood, the winner would go on to face Army in the BCSNC. Cal won the toss and elected to receive in the 2nd half. ASU started out as everyone expected, with a balanced drive of small plays chained together, with the occasional play made by QB Lee. QB Lee made a crucial red zone error when he tossed the ball up into zone coverage, and MLB Ramsey came down with the ball to get the Cal festivities started. HB Wallace set the offensive tone with a 23 yard misdirection carry from deep in Cal territory, but the day belonged to QB Spencer and his WRs. QB Spencer found his speedy weapon WR Davis in 1-on-1 coverage with no safety help once on the drive, and decided to take a chance when he saw the same look. WR Davis torched the off-man coverage for a 50 yard TD reception (all through the air). Sensing the game slipping a bit, the Sun Devils kept their composure and slowly worked their way down the field. 7-0 Cal after 1.

QB Lee faced a 3rd down on his half of the field, but made his second mistake of the day. Attempting to thread the ball over his WR's shoulder, he slightly underthrew the receiver, where CB Estes was lurking. CB Estes snagged the ball, maintained his balance on the sideline, and sprinted into the endzone to double Cal's point total. ASU needed the next drive to be successful to stay in the game, but the Cal defense was suffocating. The run game had barely gotten going, and QB Lee was shaken up significantly. After two consecutive incompletions, the Sun Devils were forced to punt the ball away to the explosive Cal offense. QB Spencer wasted no time going down the field through the air, finally connecting with WR Conley for a 15 yard TD after what seemed to be an eternity in the pocket. With 2 and a half minutes left, the Sun Devils tried to stay conservative, but the Bears tasted blood in the water. After a 3 and out, the Bears retook the field, and QB Spencer took only 1 play to find WR Conley over the middle for another TD. ASU bled out the rest of the clock. 28-0 Cal.

The Bears received the ball in the 2nd, and QB Spencer was looking for insurance. He once again recognized single coverage on his speedster WR Davis, and WR Davis once again torched the ASU CB for a TD, this time for 72 yards. QB Lee got it going a bit on the next two plays, but 3 consecutive sacks ended all hope. The rest of the game consisted of stifling defense and runs up the gut. 38-0 Cal.

QB Spencer: 532.8 RAT, 7/8, 267 yards, 4 TDs
    WR Davis: 3 rec, 145 yards, 2 TDs
    WR Conley: 2 rec, 58 yards, 2 TDs

QB Lee: 7/16, 70 yards, 4 INTs
    HB Robinson: 13 att, 34 yards, 1 rec, 2 yards
    WR Wright: 3 rec, 40 yards

GG qclassic 22.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  16. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Bears Reclaim National Title, Inch Past Army 34-31

It all came down to this. 1 game. 2 teams. The 2 best teams in the nation, and arguably the two strongest college football programs in the decade. The teams had met before twice - once early on where the Bears' talent advantage led them to a blowout win, and once later on when the rejuvenated Army program dealt Cal and Coach Natrix their first and only home loss on their way to a National Championship. Both teams had dominated their schedules, and the matchup between both talent-laden squads was sure to be a game for the ages. It did not disappoint.

The Black Knights won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. After a 9 yard run from HB Wallace, the Bears got their all star WR Davis going with a 58 yard play action bomb over CB Jones. QB Spencer finished the drive off with a 10 yard quick hitter to TE Mack while taking a hit, and the scoring was on. Army decided not to perpetuate the offensive showcase and came out focused and balanced. QB Smith bailed the Black Knights out twice on the drive on 3rd downs, and the fruit of his labor was a 2 yard TD run by HB Pope to tie the game. Cal had no intention of keeping the ball a long time - this game was QB Spencer's to win. The offensive coordinator dialed up 2 passing plays, but they both failed. On 3rd and 10, and facing the uber-aggressive Army 3rd down defense, the Bears motioned HB Wallace out wide to the left side, and he was able to outjump the coverage and torch the Army defense for a 75 yard TD. Then Army decided to light their own fireworks. With only 21 seconds left in the 1st, QB Smith connected for 46 and 20 yards, driving right back down the field to end the quarter. 14-7 Cal.

HB Pope continued his red zone dominance by punching in a 12 yard TD. Cal adjusted a bit on the next drive, adding a bit of running game and short passing - but not for too long. Once again, WR Davis took the top of the defense off, this time from the slot, as QB Spencer found him for a 58 yard TD strike to reignite the Cal crowd. The Black Knights weren't phased at all, and returned to their grinding ways. Army stayed committed to the running and short passing games, with a little bailout help from QB Smith when needed. The clock bled out, as Army was convinced they would hold the ball last. Once the Black Knights got in the redzone with around a minute left, Cal began to burn their timeouts to get their OWN possession. The stars aligned as the Bears defense stiffened up with their backs against the wall, stifling HB Pope for 2 1-yard runs to force a field goal with 43 seconds left. This gave QB Spencer a precious 40 seconds and 1 timeout to try to find some points. After finding WR Inman for 11 yards, LE #92 beat RT Spencer like a drum and found QB Spencer in the backfield, forcing the final timeout. Undaunted, the Bears stayed in 4 wide and kept trying to move downfield. QB Spencer found WR Conley twice over the middle for first downs, and the Bears were able to spike the ball with 1 second remaining for a 57 yard FG attempt. K Gschwend nailed it with a little room to spare, ending the half. 24-17 Cal.

Army's offense had yet to be stopped in the game, but they didn't need to get the scoring going in the 2nd. WR Olsen took the half-opening kickoff, squeezed through the coverage on the right side, and won the footrace to devastate the Bears with a 107 yard KO return. California kept their composure, led by their QB. The Bears once again took to the air, and the ensuing drive included another deep breakdown exploited by WR Davis. However, the Army pass rush was digging their heels in, and 2 sacks ruined the drive near the endzone. Cal settled for the FG. The Black Knights had their first chance to take a lead, but QB Smith's mistake-free game was about to take a turn for the worse. After dinking and dunking down the field, QB Smith tried to connect deep with his Biletnikoff winning WR, but FS Barrow was lurking in his deep half. FS Barrow came down with his first pick of the year at exactly the right time, and the Cal offense excitedly took the field again. After a couple of runs from HB Wallace, the Bears turned to the source of their offense on 3rd and long.

WR Davis took advantage of his deep dominance to get loose underneath on an out route. As they'd been doing all year, QB Spencer hit him in the hands out of his break, and WR Davis had time to improvise. And improvise he did. He snatched the ball out of the air, planted hard against hit initial cut and took off underneath CB 43, who whiffed completely. He used his world class speed to outrun SS #1, and shook CB #43 out of his jock to prance into the endzone untouched. Nearing the end of the 3rd, the Black Knights began to open up the offense out of necessity, turning to their own star WR Matthews. WR Matthews came through, picking up 52 and 15 on consecutive plays to get within striking distance. QB Smith threw it into the endzone to stay within striking distance, but a holding call took away the points. Army needed to score here to stay in the game, as the final quarter of college football began. 34-24 Cal.

QB Smith used his legs on the next couple of plays, but the Bears were able to stop him on 3rd and short, bringing up 4th and 2. The Black Knights refused to settle for 3 points, and went for it on 4th down. A misdirection run around the right side freed up HB Pope, who relatively easily got into the endzone to get Army within 3. Cal just needed to put the ball in the endzone to put the game away. Common sense would dictate running the ball, but the Cal offense was all-in for the passing game. QB Spencer moved the team down the field through the air, but were faced with a 3rd down. A rare miscommunication between QB Spencer and TE Johnson led to a failed 3rd down conversion, and Army got the ball back down 3 with a little over 5 minutes remaining. And Army had no intention of returning the football. The Black Knights stayed dedicated to HB Pope and the running game. However, DT Charles got loose on a 1st down passing attempt and sacked QB Smith for an 8 yard loss, forcing the passing game. The Bears' secondary had been playing very well for the entirety of the game, and they blanketed the Army receiving corps - but they failed to account for QB Smith's legs and elusiveness. He twice broke what would've been a game-changing sack and turned it into a huge scramble, converting a 3rd down deep in Army territory. This allowed Army to return to milking the clock as they came down the field. They kept running, but Cal showed some resolve with a couple of tackles for short gains, forcing another 3rd and long.

QB Smith tried to find his WR on an out from the slot, but he didn't account for a lurking CB Clark. CB Clark actually got completely torched by his man, but he knew he had safety help over the top as the WR ran a streak. He doubled back, right into the path of the outgoing receiver, and plucked the ball out of the air for a huge interception. Army still had 3 timeouts, so the Bears got to running the football. HB Wallace found 14 yards on his first carry, and 3 on the next. Then, as he rushed left past most of the overcommitted Army defense, the last player who could make a stop for Army made a game-saving tackle - by grabbing on to HB Wallace's facemask. The refs threw the flag, and the Cal sideline exploded. QB Spencer kneeled out the rest of the clock, and Cal returned to the top of the college football world. 34-31 Cal.

QB Spencer: 14/20, 404 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs
    HB Wallace: 8 att, 41 yards, 3 rec, 82 yards, 1 rec TD
    WR Davis: 6 rec, 247 yards, 2 TDs

QB Smith: 19/25, 296 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs
    HB Pope: 20 att, 84 yards, 3 TDs, 1 rec, 4 yards
    WR Matthews: 4 rec, 142 yards

GG Wyrmreaver, I know you had some hair-pulling moments (no swat on HB Wallace TD reception, final facemask deciding the game) as I did (kickoff return for TD, Smith's broken tackle-sacks [was seriously gonna eat my pillow]), and it sucks that it had to end so undramatically, but it was fun. Just one of those games that someone has to lose - flip a coin 3 times, someone gets 2 or more.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  17. Wyrmreaver

Yeah, it was a fun one for sure! Man, my CBs have been dominant all year but they aren't really all that fast, they have great cover skills which had been enough until Davis took the lid off! My QB breaks tackles like a beast and I know you were probably screaming on a couple occasions :)

That last pick was frustrating because I made the right read he was just there because he got beat so bad on the press. Really though, that's football and that was this game, one bad "bounce" for me was all you needed to take advantage. I thought for sure I was going to tie or take the lead and leave you with very little time to answer, but it was a great game nonetheless.

Hopefully you are likeing what you see in the demo and we can do it again in NCAA '14

18. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Heh, I felt your pain on that last INT - I knew you were going to the slot out, and was going to try to undercut it with the SS, but I saw Clark get toasted so I couldn't ignore my deep responsibilities. I tried to upload a highlight of it, but got kicked from the dynasty :p. You could tell that the play was just off, as Clark was fully focused on catching up to his man and just instantly snapped back to get the pick. Hopefully that is fixed/adjusted in 14.

And I'm pleasantly surprised by the demo - I like actually being challenged by the CPU (only playing on Heisman). My only major qualm beside Braxton Miller being a God is the option attack - it seems like the entire defense will react to the play as the read guy does, just like in 13. I tried running goal line against a 3 WR formation by OSU, and was usering a linebacker (the offense had a clear numbers disadvantage). Miller kept the ball and I was the only defender going to his side - and I still somehow ate a block, despite being the free hitter. I didn't blitz anyone out of position either.