Season 7 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by bravejaf, Feb 8, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

You know the drill...

2. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

[​IMG]

#5 Texas - 21 #2 Alabama - 14

TEXAS ESCAPES TUSCALOOSA WITH VICTORY

Texas relies on defense and running game to grab the win. This was a defensive struggle by both teams. Alabama received the opening kickoff and Texas held them to a 3 and out and forced them to punt. On the 3rd play of Texas' first series QB Williams would throw a pick 6 returned for 18 yrds by Alabama. Texas would respond on their next series and drive down to punch it into the endzone on a 4yrd run by HB Bishop to tie the score at 7-7 at the end of 1. Texas would strike first in the 2nd qtr on a 1yrd dive by HB Kemp to go up 14-7. Texas would once again force Alabama to punt. However, another turn over would kill the momentum. Alabama would force a fumble and return it 28yrds to the house to even the score at halftime 14-14. Texas would get the only score in the 3rd qtr on an 17 yrd TD pass to WR Landry to go up 21-14. Both defenses held strong the entire 4th qtr. With under a minute left to play Alabama was driving to try and tie the score up, but with 0:46 seconds left CB Pierce would intercept the ball and secure the victory.​

Texas plays the 1st of 3 user games in a row begining next week against UNC.​

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Penn State- 47
    TCU- 13

The Nittany Lions open up their title defense with a win over the Horned Frogs of TCU. Joe Montana lived up to the hype with 483yds 5 TD, but he did toss 2 INT's. True FR Jim Matthews led the WR with 121yds 1 TD, Justin Rogers had 104yds 2 TD, and Cameron Conner with 98yds 2 TD. Larsen and Brown combined for 75yds 1 TD on 21 carries. Penn State hosts Nebraska next week in their first true test of the season.

4. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

#7 USC 37 - Utah 14

The Trojan defense was stifling.

The Trojan offense was disgusting. We tried using a random playbook (UAB) and for those not familiar the UAB playbook would be better suited for flag football since it's all shotgun passes.

We threw 6 picks....

We'll be running the Tulane playbook in 2 weeks when we play Washington St.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Florida St 31 Ohio St 17

The story of this game was the Florida St defense, which held the Buckeyes to 125 offensive yards and 10 points (7 points by OSU came on a pick 6). The Seminole defense also had 2 INT's, one of which was returned for a score. It's been a long time coming, but this is easily the best overall defensive unit I've had since taking over FSU.

The offense stayed with the same spread playbook as last year, but did not show any of the QB option plays utilized by Newby in the past. QB Cory Jones and HB Erik Rogers looked ready for primetime in their debuts as starters. Jones was 18-23 for 259 yards with 2 TD and an INT (on a play where 3 OSU defenders came in unblocked, hitting Jones about a second after the snap). Rogers ran for 89 yards on 18 carries with a score. The WR's were led by Jay Arnold (4 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD) and Maurice Jones (5 catches, 54 yards, 1 TD).

Good game brave.

Player of the game - MLB Eric Moore, who had 2 sacks and 1 INT

Up next - my first game vs the Washington St Cougars

6. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Week 1: North Carolina 24, Washington State 20

No one will call it pretty, but North Carolina overcomes 5 turnovers and took advantage of WSU's defiencies in the kicking game to steal one in Vandermint's first "human" win in Trifecta.

The first play of the game set the stage--QB Mark Craft "fumbled" an option pitch that was tossed way too late and caught by a WSU player, setting the Cougs up in great field position. However, the Cougs got zero points out of it, K Elliot Capps shanking a short FG to the right. The first quarter would end with the Heels up 7-0, scoring on another option play, this time a keeper from 5 yards out.

But the second quarter was all Wazzou, scoring 17 points. The first 3 of those was off a 28 yard field goal that just sneaked over the crossbar--if I had Dikembe Mutumbo on my team I think he could have stood back there and blocked it down. Nonetheless, it counted, as did Damian Romero's 19 yard TD pass to WR Matt Davis.
    The Heels countered with a long drive that looked like it would end with some points when Craft scrambled for a first down inside the ten but fumbled when hit, turning it over to WSU. The Heels loaded up to stop the run but HB Donald Taylor got loose anyway, stretching a 92 yard TD rush that gave Wazzou a 17-7 halftime lead.

The fireworks started in the fourth, after a 47 yard UNC FG in the third brought it to 17-10. WSU got another chipshot FG, this time from 21 yards, to take a 10 point lead with 2:52 to go. Then this happened:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/65757456

CB Lance Martin's 86 yard kickoff return for a TD got the Heels to 20-17, and with 3 timeouts the Heels kicked it deep. WSU got one first down but the Heels forced a punt on the second set of downs, getting the ball back with less than a minute to play and 70+ yards to go. There was some luck involved just getting down the field, but with 15 seconds to play Craft found wideout Leo Thompson for a 29 yard TD pass. You can see the play here (http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/65757597): luckily for UNC the Wazzou player went for the ball instead of making sure he got the tackle, and the Heels avoided overtime and stole it 24-20.

Mark Craft's line: 13-23, 229 yards, 1 TD/ 2 INT, 10 rushes for 26 yards and 1 TD. The 80 pass accuracy was a mixed bag--on one of his INTs Wazzu and I were amazed at just how badly he missed his receiver. On another play however he completed a pass to my TE who was running a drag route into trouble, but Craft threw it hard and behind him, leading my TE up the field instead of across it and getting a first down.

I won't say it was a good game, because it was kinda ugly, but at least I popped my Trifecta cherry. Now Wazzu and I have to beat someone else.

The Heels have their home opener next week, hosting Texas.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Congrats on the win Vandermint. Looks you guys played a tight game, with a lot of ugliness on both sides :).

8. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

#19 Oklahoma State -38
    #14 LSU - 13

The Cowboys went into the first game of the season the same way that they have for practically all of their games over the past 3 years, the underdog. Traveling to Death Valley in a major rainstorm was more than enough to cause a Cowboy loss according to the pundits. Instead, LSU got rocked by a MUCH more athletic Oklahoma State team than in the previous two years. After falling behind 0-7 to the Tigers the Cowboys appeared to wake the hell up and came back firing with 3 straight scores of their own to leave it 21-7 at the half. The second half provided more of the with 17-6 in favor of the Pokes for a 38-13 overall victory. Oklahoma State managed 464 total yards to the Bayou Bengals 239 and did so with 317 through the air and 147 on the ground. JR QB Jayson Whitaker put up those 317 yards going 20/28 with 3 TD's and one redzone INT but the biggest boost to his game appears to be FR TE Sean Moore who netted 6 catches for 83 and two very acrobatic TD's. On the ground J.B. King put up 100 on 15 carries before leaving the game in the fourth with a minor sprain, Coach Jman said it was precautionary and he is fine, also on the ground the bull that is SO FB Sean Murphy managed 45 yards on his 10 carries and 1 TD. Defensively the Cowboys have found a middle linebacker and the 3-4 made them appear much more athletic with all the LB's on the field. The FR man in the middle John Johnson managed 8 tackles and 1 INT on the day to lead the way for the Cowboys on D as his speed is going to be a major asset for this team.

Up next, the home opener against a pissed off 0-1 Ohio State team, this is a different Cowboy team than the last time these two met but the Pokes will have to be flawless to even be in the game in the end.

POTG: QB Jayson Whitaker - 20/28 for 317 Yards, 3 TD, and 1 INT

9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 27
    Oklahoma State 14

This was highway robbery, Buckeyes were outplayed for almost the entire game. The difference was special teams and takeaways. Oklahoma State would get a shot at points on the first drive but Brandon Armstrong came up short on the kick. The team would trade punts for awhile until Oklahoma State got on the board in the second quarter. Ohio State gave the ball right back on a 3 and out, the Oklahoma State coach tried to go for blood and it cost him. The pass by Jayson Whitaker was badly overthrown and Markeith Harrison made the pick. The Buckeyes hit a few big plays and Michael Vickers punched in the TD.

The touchdown before halftime started the momentum shift but the ensuing kickoff completed that movement. Michael Vickers proved why he is the most dangerous player in college football. If he gets a little space, no one can catch him. He proved that with a 98 yard kickoff return TD. He almost proved it again on a punt later in the quarter. He only got 28 yards on that return but setup Ohio State for a field goal. The field goal gave the Buckeyes a 10 point lead but the Cowboys would drive the field. Unfortunately for Oklahoma State, Whitaker was caught off guard by a nickel corner blitz. This led to an interception by defensive end Bruce Williams and he almost scored his second TD of the season. His return set up Vickers for his third TD of the game. Oklahoma State would score a TD to close the gap but couldn't close the lead below 10 points.

The Buckeyes walk away with a hard fought win and I am not going to complain about a victory, but I need to fix my offensive woes before week 5. In the first 2 user games my team has not gained 200 yards offense. Chris Ford has been awful and the receivers are not getting open. Total offense, first downs and third down efficiency were dominated by Oklahoma State. The Cowboys also dominated time of possession, 17:00 to 10:00. The only category OSU won was turnover differential at 3-1.

GG Jman, you out played me in this game. If we played with equal teams you would have smoked me.

Players of the Game:
    HB/KR/PR Michael Vickers 10 carries 82 yards 2 TD; 3 kick returns 132 yards 1 TD; 2 punt returns 40 yards
    TE Joe Johnson 3 receptions 47 yards
    SS Markeith Harrison 8 tackles 1 interception
    DE Bruce Williams 1 tackle 1 interception
    CB Ryan Moore 1 interception

Second Quarter
    01:31 TD Oklahoma State J.B. King HB #29 1 yard rush
    00:18 TD Ohio State Michael Vickers HB #46 4 yard rush
    Third Quarter
    06:46 TD Ohio State Michael Vickers HB #46 97 yard kick return TD
    04:19 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 31 yard field goal
    00:21 TD Ohio State Michael Vickers HB #46 13 yard rush
    Forth Quarter
    05:58 TD Oklahoma State J.B. King HB #29 1 yard rush
    02:46 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 52 yard field goal

10. vBIG SLICKv

[​IMG]

#3 Texas - 38 UNC - 31​

TEXAS SURVIVES SCARE IN CHAPEL HILL​

Texas rides HB Kemp for 2nd game in a row. Kemp rolled up 195 yrds on 18 carries with 3 tds. UNC game out fired up and ready to play. They smelled blood in the water with a young Horns team and attacked.​
    UNC took the opening kickoff and drove down the field with ease to strike first with a 2yd run by HB Smith. Texas on their first possesion would throw a pick and UNC would take advantage. The Tar Heels would connect for a 41yrd td pass to WR Thompson from QB Craft to end the 1st qtr up 14-0 and have the Longhorns reeling. Texas would finally put a drive together in the 2nd qtr and get on the board with a 8yrd td pass to WR Mayes to get on the board down 14-7. UNC took their next possesion and kept their foot on the gas as they would drive back down the field HB Smith would score another td on a 1 yrd plunge with 0:18 seconds before half up 21-7. The Longhorns would complete a couple of passes to get within FG range and would kick a 52 yarder to go into halftime down 21-10. Texas would come out to start the 3rd qtr more composed and received the kickoff. Texas started running the ball and was able to move the ball down the field. The horns capped off their opening 3rd qtr drive with a 9 yrd td pass to WR Mayes to pull within 4 down 21-17. The Longhorn defense would finally show up and MLB Gibson would grab an int. Texas knew they had the momentum on their side and knew they had to score. They went back to the running game and HB Kemp came through on 23 yrd rush up the right side where he broke 2 tackles and walked into the endzone to take the lead at 24-21. The Horns would hold the Tarheels scoreless in the 3rd. Texas and UNC would exchange possesions without scoring until The Horns broke into the endzone on a 3 yrd rush by HB Kemp with 2:55 left in the 4th to go up 31-21. UNC was forced to punt the ball back to Texas and on the 2nd play HB Kemp was able to bust a 74 yrd td run up the middle to put the nail in the coffin up 38-21 with only 1:22 left in the game or so they thought. UNC and Coach Vandermint were not done. The tarheels quickly passes down the field and scored on a pass to HB Smith with 0:43 seconds left. Down 38-28 UNC kicked the onsides kick and RECOVERED it. After a few plays and down 10pts Coach Vandermint decided to go ahead and get the 3pts and kicked a 40yrd FG with 0:09 seconds left. Again UNC kicks the onsides kick, but Texas was able to recover this one and run out the clock with the 38-31 victroy.​

Great Game Vandermint. I was sweating bullets. Your play calling kept me off balance and you have some play makers. Good luck the rest of the season.​

11. Dru50

In a game that was far closer than the final score indicates, FSU beats WSU 38-14.

This game was 17-14 FSU with 2:40 left in the 3rd quarter, and WSU had really played a picture perfect game to that point. WSU got the ball first, went backwards on 3 plays and were forced to punt. The punt only got to the WSU 42 yard line, and the Seminole faithful thought the route might be on. Not so fast my friends...as QB Cory Jones threw an INT on the first FSU play from scrimmage, giving the ball back to the Cougs. Wazzou would take advantage, with a long drive for a TD. FSU got the ball back and would tighten up the play a bit, taking a 17-7 lead into the half.

FSU got the ball first to start the 3rd, but did nothing with it. Wazzou then led another long time-consuming drive to pull to within 3 at 17-14. FSU's offense would quickly march down and get a TD to push the lead back to 10 entering the 4th quarter.

And that's when the game really turned. FSU's front 7 on defense decided they'd had enough of the upstart Cougs and simply took over the game. I'm not certain, but I think that 5-6 of the teams 10 sacks came in the final stanza. In any case, Wazzou wasn't able to get the offense moving, and FSU tacked on a couple of late scores via the running game to seal the win.

Good game Wazzou, with better talent you'd definitely be contending each year for the title.

Player of the game (offense) - HB Erik Rogers 16 carries, 148 yards, 3 TD, 2 catches for 36 yards

Player of the game (defense) - LB Jermaine Miller, with 4 tackles, 3 sacks and an INT

Up next - the conference schedule starts off as FSU welcomes BC to town.

12. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Congrats on your win; this one stings a little. I don't know about playmakers but my guys did seem to play above their ratings level for long stretches and I was able to time your blitz a couple times for huge gains on screen passes. That FG at the end seemed like to me the sensible thing to do just in case we miraculously recovered another onsides kick we'd have time for one, maybe two slings at the endzone.

13. vBIG SLICKv

Yeah, you burned me enough on those blitzs that I didn't call very many in the 2nd half and was nervous every time I did call one. You called a great game because I was guessing what you were going to run for the most part. I agree that taking the FG when you did was a good call, you had to have the 3pts either way and if you would have scored a TD first I don't know that you would have had enough time to run probably 2 plays to get in FG range with only 1 timeout.

14. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I honestly thought I was going to pull off the upset for a little bit. I thought if I could get one or more turnover I was going to have the lead. At the end of the day your pass rush was too much for me.

15. Dru50

When you got that TD in the 3rd to pull within 3, I thought you might pull off the upset as well....

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

GG Hokie but I've never been more upset after a game in my life. I almost want to stop playing NCAA right now

17. Hokie Effect

Yeah that ending probably has to be one of the craziest turn of events and I know you don't want to hear it, but I think the guy your controlling did bump my reciever when you went for the pick......

18. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

He got bumped by my own guy into you a little, but for a game where I NEVER see a PI call they make one that wouldn't get called at a pee wee league football game, he was triple covered, nobody would call that PI. Oh well, EA Sports mojo is definitely on Hokie's side this season lol

19. Dru50

FSU destroys BC, but BC knocks out starting QB Cory Jones for 4 weeks. This means he will miss the USC game which could be a huge blow for a team that relies on their QB as much as the Seminoles do.

20. vBIG SLICKv

#3 Minnesota - 18
    #4 Texas - 17

I leave it to Leon to write up the big summary for his win. Texas leads the whole game. With Texas up 17-10 Minnesota scores with 0:30 seconds in the game and decides to go for 2. Minnesota converts the 2pt attempt and takes the lead 18-17. Texas receives the kickoff and completes a couple of passes to get to the Minnesota 31 yrd line with 0:03 seconds left. Coach Beazus calls timeout to ice the kicker. Texas lines up for the 48 yrd FG in the middle of the field for the win, but K Keenan looses is footing and the kick does not have the distance(got caught with some lag and my kick meter didn't stop at the top and dropped to zero.)

Good game Beazus. Good luck the rest of the way

21. Hokie Effect

Penn State- 35
    Nebraska- 31

The Penn State QB situation was one of the many storylines of this wild contest. Joe Montana gets knocked out of the game on the first play of the game. With Ahmed Jones redshirted Marques Johnson took over the offense. Known for his running ability he had trouble moving the Penn State offense. Johnson put together 1 scoring drive his 50yd option keeper keyed that drive, but his 2 int's left the coaching staff shaking their heads. Nebraska took a 10-7 lead into half with a balanced attack that kept the chains moving and the clock ticking. Penn State made a bold move by removing Jones redshirt and he would run the offense the rest of the way. This proved to be a game changer as Jones flourished in the offense with 280+yds 3 TD. Jones may be changing his name to Steve Young after this performance.....

Now we fast foward to the end of the game. Nebraska scores with 30 seonds left to go up 31-28. Penn State completes 3 long pass plays to put themself on Nebraska's 7 yard line with 6 seconds left. Penn State tries to run 1 last play for the win. Jones throws the ball quickly across the middle, but the ball is picked off as the clock runs out. Game over, Nebraska puuls off the upset....Not so fast my friend flag on the field. Pass interference is called and Penn State has the ball at the 2yd line with 1 play left. After calling a timeout to mull over their decisoion, Penn State decides to go for the win. Jones hits his RB in the flats for the go ahead miracle win.

Great Game Blonde, i know this one must sting and I will be willing to travel to Lincoln next season for your well deserved rematch....

22. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 52
    Boise State 0

A couple items have been apparent the past couple weeks. First, my offense is seriously struggling. I have yet to pass for 200 yards in a game this season or throw a single passing touchdown. Fields has 0 TD/5 INT on the season. He was benched in this game in favor of Eric Chandler, but Fields will get one more chance in week 4 against West Virginia. The second item we discovered, Michael Vickers needs to touch the ball at least 20 times per game. Whether it be on special teams, the passing game or the running the ball, he can score from anywhere on the field. In this game he broke a 50 yard rush TD straight up the middle and a 52 yard TD on a toss play. In total he finished with 142 yards rushing on 12 carries and 42 yards on 4 receptions. Vickers also picked up 55 yards on 5 punt returns. The third discovery has been the improved play by the defense. The defense has made big plays all season long and this game was no different. While the offense struggled to open the game, the Buckeyes' defense got some points on the scoreboard. Ryan Moore picked off a WR screen pass and ran it for a 75 yard TD. He added another interception in this game. In that same quarter, top cornerback Dave Hadley picked off a pass and ran for the score. OSU also got solid play from its linebackers. Jamal Williams led the team with 7 solo tackles and he also added a sack. Tyjuan Wade had 6 tackles and he also grabbed a sack, while fellow MLB Michael Moses grabbed an interception. This week's match against BCS Championship runner-up West Virginia is the Buckeyes' last game before opening up the Big 10 schedule against Minnesota.

23. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Its nice to see that Trifecta success hasn't gone to your head

24. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

#18 Fresno State 24
    Washington State 28

Whew. . . Things did not look good in Pullman. To say I was panicking with the score 17-0, 24-7 Fresno as the clock ticked down in the third quarter would be bit of an understatement. As the Cougs marched down the field to try and to make the score 24-14 late in the third quarter, there was a definite sense of urgency in the stadium. And when the Cougs failed to convert a fourth down the season definitely seemed lost. Then the defense stepped in and DE Brian Bradshaw picked off a pass and rumbled 23 yards for a touchdown. After forcing a Fresno punt, the Cougars took the ball down the field and scored with QB Romero TE hitting Marc Jones for his second TD of the game making the score 24-21. The Cougars defense then stood tall forcing a punt. Romero then led the Cougs down the field setting up a 3rd and 14 from the Bulldogs' 18 yard line. Romero tried to throw it to WR Jason Robinson but it was overthrown into the hands of WR Paul Lowe who ran it for the go ahead score. Fresno State would have one last chance to take command of the game, but Brant Thompson intercepted a Bulldog pass with a minute to go in the game.

25. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I saw the box score. Figured you were going crazy until that game finally turned around.