Season 7 Looking Back

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by RyanC, Apr 26, 2011.

1. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I wanted to create a thread for people to talk about their past season and what things surprised/disappointed them and what they look forward to next year.

I was pleasantly surprised by this squad this season, a 7-5 regular season with a huge bowl victory over a top 15 ranked team.

Surprises
    QB Chris Joseph was outstanding, throwing for 4118 yards and 31 TDs, and really showing his talent even though he started in the backup role this season.

LB Andrew Garrison came out of nowhere this season, only recording 28 tackles in his first three years in the league, but he came up huge in his Senior season, recording 77 tackles, 37 TFL, 6 sacks, and 5 INTs as well as winning the Best LB award, beating out Jon O'Neal of rival Washington.

Disappointments

WR Jason King, who in the first game of season was sidelined for 9 weeks, and was never really able to get back into a rhythm with Joseph. I would have liked to have seen him off with a better year, but it just wasn't an option unfortunately.

2017 Outlook

I don't know what to expect out of this squad next year, RB Mark Stanley may need to be a lot more involve in the offense as we will be starting a Freshman at QB no matter what. There are some talented WR's returning as well so hopefully they can help ease the transition.

The defense will be a huge question mark, there are some good D-line prospects coming in, but the bulk of the defense will be unproven, non-highly touted kids.

2. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Surprise
    My extemely young offensive line actually held up pretty well this year. This certainly wasn't a banner year for them but for freshmen and sophmores I was surprised. Hopefully they advance well through the off season and show up better next year

Disappointments
    Third place finish in the Big East. Once again we were run off the field in the key game of the year due to inexperienced players and poor trench play. Ended up in a garbage low key bowl game b/c the Big East bowl tie-ins are complete horse shit.

2017 Outlook
    We lose a seasoned two year starter at quarterback with the graduation of Nate Anderson. True freshmen and highly touted quarterback Jesse Irons showed he has legs to move but has serious accuracy issues. Due to this I was forced to recruit another quarterback this past season. He will be coming in with average throw power and accuracy ratings and will get every opportunity to compete for the starting job. Lose two senior running backs that contributed well during their time at Syracuse. Will have a nice crop of young running backs to help carry the load and shouldn't see a whole lot of drop off in production. Will return everyone on the offensive line and return a few key starters on defense. We will have some holes to fill but overall only lost a handfull of contributors this year to graduation. Overall next year we are aiming for a conference title. With only two months left until the new title drops I see only two full seasons left with ncaa11. Our goal is to bring home a conference title in the next two years.

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Surprise

My defensive line played like the top ranked team, with only one or two games with 100 yards rushing allowed. They were constantly in the QBs face, forcing bad passes and creating plays. DE Smith won three awards alone for his excellent performance this season.

Disappointments

I would have liked to see better coverage in the pass defense. They constantly gave up big yardage and missed easy opportunities. Something to be worked on next season. Also losing the Rose Bowl was a disappointment after having the lead for most of the game, but it is what it is and we will strive for better next season. We are still a five star school, nothing to complain about.

2017 Outlook

We lose great QBs Allen and May but the third string is already shaping up to be a stud. We also lose a HUGE part of our offense with the departure of Allen and Williams, they will be missed and we may have to rethink our offense without a high caliber RB on the squad. Michigan State is aiming for it all next year as they have been so close the past couple of seasons. The defense looks to be even better as well, this could shape up to be one of the best teams I have ever coached with as MSU (or one of the worse ones, we will have to see). GO GREEN!!

4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Surprises

The surprise this year was the breakout year that Demarcus Wilcox had. He has always been a solid backup, but this year he struck fear into every opposing defense. He rushed for over 1800+ yards and 22 TDs. Luckily Coach Fuzzy convinced him to come back for his senior year, but he already has NFL scouts drooling. He's got a unique combination of speed and strength, which makes him hard to bring down.

That wouldn't have been possible without great blocking from the oline. The blocking from the TEs and senior FB Silva was also exceptional, they made huge gaps for Wilcox to run through all year. Silva will be missed big time next year.

Disappointments

Rutgers finished out another season in the top 10, but fell way short of their goal of making it back to a national title game. The rushing game flourished this year, but Edwards and the passing attack really struggled this year at times. Edwards was forced to work with a very young and inexperienced group of WRs, and it showed against premier secondaries. The Miami game was the most notable, as Rutgers lost one of their most ugly games under Coach Fuzzy's tenure. WR Thurman has left early for the draft, but everyone else is returning.

2017 Outlook

Rutgers will be losing one of it's most prolific passers in school history in Jonathan Edwards, but junior QB Lawrence Montoya is ready to pick up the reigns and continue where Edwards left off. Montoya does not have the legs to escape the pocket like Edwards, but the kid has an arm like a cannon. It is also very accurate. Just from spring practice scrimmages, coaches are expecting great things from Montoya. The defensive line will be even more nasty than last year, and the secondary will be a bit more seasoned. Coach Fuzzy has his aim set high next season, and nothing short of a national title would be a disappointment.

5. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

mhmmm..... What was his end of year overall rating? And didn't he win an award or two? I think fuzzy has some questions to answer!

6. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I altered the rules for players leaving a bit. I think they were a bit too restrictive the way they were. I agree that a player should not be able to stay if he is 95 or higher OVR, or has won the Heisman, but winning an award should be not a valid reason imo to prohibit him from staying.

Wilcox was 89 OVR his Junior year.

7. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Well isn't that convenient when you have a stud running back you want to persuade into staying another year.

8. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Hopefully the sarcasm in my post is being noted! :)