Season 8 - Game Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Here.

2. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hurricanes Upset #1 Arkansas
    defeat Razorbacks in OT, 24-21

As the field goal sailed through the uprights, the Razorback faithful somberly walked out of the stadium in stark contrast to the Miami players jubilant in celebration over having just upset the #1 team in the land.

The overtime began with the Razorbacks turning the ball over for the third time in the game, allowing the Hurricanes to play for the field goal on their possession. After a couple of runs to get into short field goal range, Miami K Joel Wilkinson would convert from 28 yards out.

Though both teams played well throughout, the game was ultimately decided by the few mistakes made by Razorback QB Ronald Moore. Moore, who in an interview had said he "hoped to make Arkansas fans forget about Michael Robbins," threw two interceptions and fumbled the ball while Miami QB Joe Hall threw just one interception. Each of Moore's turnovers occurred deep in Miami territory, turning back Arkansas scoring opportunities.

The contest began with the Razorbacks slowly marching down the field as Moore utilized the short pass against an over matched Miami secondary. Taking nearly six minutes of the first quarter, Arkansas would ultimately punch it into the end zone on a one yard TD run by HB Barry Vaughn. Miami would respond as QB Joe Hall found WR Maurice Bowman crossing the field uncovered, allowing Bowman to turn it up and score for a 55 yard TD pass.

The second quarter would again see the Razorbacks moving the ball with easy against the Canes' defense, however, Moore would make the first of his three mistakes as he didn't see OLB Justin Flanagan lurking in the middle of the field and would throw an interception attempting to hit his WR on a deep dig route. Flanagan would return the interception inside the Arkansas five yard line, giving way to HB Joe Sowell to run it in from four yards out. The Razorbacks would respond on their next possession as FB Anthony Martin would also score from four yards out, tying the game at 14 going into halftime.

Miami opened the second half with a long touchdown drive that saw them consume the majority of the third quarter as their playcalling kept the Arkansas defense off-balance. The Canes converted on a couple third downs on the drive before Hall found WR Andre Edwards for a four yard TD pass and a 21-14 Canes lead. The defending National Champions were up to the challenge and quickly moved into Miami territory as they attempted to answer the Hurricane touchdown. Unfortunately for the Razorbacks, Moore would again turn the ball over, this time on a fumble as he attempted to gain extra yards off a scramble.

Having possession and a seven point lead, the Hurricanes began to drive down the field with the objective of taking both time off the clock and establishing a two-possession lead. Already in make-able field goal range, Hall would make his only mistake of the game as he telegraphed a third-down pass to the Arkansas safety who gracefully intercepted the ball at the Razorback five yard line. Using the momentum from the interception, the Razorbacks would tie the game with just a minute to go on a 68 yard TD pass from Moore to WR Lee Smith.

whygodwhy1111, Great back-and-forth game. As usual, turnovers usually tell the tale, and I just limited my offense to one. Even then, once I threw that interception in scoring territory I thought I would regret it. After your first drive in which you just torched my defense with the pass, I made some adjustments to stop your passing game which I think slowed you down a little. My ends and OLBs did a good job stopping your QB on read plays which helped quite a bit by keeping you in third and long.

Notable Stats
    Miami Hurricanes Arkansas Razorbacks
    QB Joe Hall - 14/16, 180 yards, 2 TD, INT QB Ronald Moore - 12/16, 266 yards, TD, 2 INT
    HB Joe Sowell - 20 car, 78 yards, TD, long 10 HB Barry Vaughn - 16 car, 88 yards, TD, long 15
    WR Andre Edwards - 5 rec, 57 yards, TD, long 27 WR Daniel Bain - 4 rec, 55 yards, long 16
    WR Maurice Bowman - 1 rec, 55 yards, TD WR Lee Smith - 1 rec, 68 yards, TD
    CB Mike Jenkins - 6 tack, FF SS Matt Prince - tack, INT
    3rd Down - 3/6 3rd Down - 7/8
    Turnovers - 1 Turnovers - 3

3. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

didn't see that coming..... nice win boom!

4. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

That was a damn Good Game Boom. Your had my number for the 2nd time. I look forward to a rematch... maybe even this year :)

Offense:
    He did something defensively I have not faced before and took away most of what I wanted to do on offense. I am sure the more I see it the better I will be at destroying it so I will just tell everybody since you might be curious (besides isn't there a secret conversation about beating me on the forums :) ). He almost always played one more CB than I had WR. If you line it up right the extra CB takes away the read option by lining up outside the tackle box and following only the ball. Running out of twins nickel keeps a player on the perimeter to prevent breaking to the outside. Out of the I-Form or Strong I still did not manage much on the ground because the CB lines up in the box. With the shifts and show blitz, its hard to get everyone blocked. While I might get a few 10 yard gains, I was getting just as many negative plays. Obviously, it was also better in coverage and the shifts make it difficult to recognize zone, man, or blitz right away (cause I'm not use to seeing it). It also shortened the game to 6 possessions a half because so many back and forth presnap adjustments were going on. At the end, I felt like I had the advantage but ran out of time then threw the game away in overtime with an INT. On the plus side, nobody is going to get long pick sixes on my QB.

Defense:
    Defensively, I just could not stop the run game out of the 3-4. While I wanted to play cover 2 most of the game, the 3 man rush was too weak and it gave up easy running plays of 5 yards or more. After allowing a 5 and a half minute 13 play drive to open the 3rd quarter. I abandoned the 3-4, joined boom and just played the 3-3-5 nickle against the base formations. Which finally got me the stops I needed catch up in the game. This being the first time I ever played with the 3-4 I had no idea about the crazy dime 2-3-6 odd package. My personnel did not work out well with my weak cover LB lined up at DE. I could not find a package sub with the personnel I wanted and my incredible OLB did not get to play in dime. Certainly some kinks to work out in this 3-4 defense but I will stick with it for at least one season. Luckily I got 3 cpu games to learn with.

Minor Gripe:
    One thing I am really sick of is Line drive punts. They are total bullshit. Can we get rid of them please? Just kick to the sideline at normal height. When its happened in the past, it did not matter much but I should have said something. I thought the one at the end of the Miami game might have effected the outcome. Its pretty minor, and my fault for not bringing it up before. I would just like to not see them anymore in the future.

With 15 seconds remaining in the game I forced a punt in a tie game expecting to get the ball some where around my 35 yard line. I am sure boom is aiming for the sidelines but the punt did not make it to the sidelines. Instead it bounce infront of my return man and went inside the ten yard line. There is not a play in the game or any amount of user skill that could field that punt. In this case instead of fair catching around the 30-35 yard line with around 10 seconds to try for FG range, I had the ball at the 10 with 3 seconds. I probably would not have had time for FG range, but Hail Mary range was likely. That was probably worst case scenario for line drive punting, those events will probably never happen again, but its something I would not like to see in the future. This seems like an exploit that I could just go into practice mode and master. Then suddenly every punt I kick is a 60+ yarder.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. Wyrmreaver

As far as line drive punts go, for me, I only feel SIM when I am around midfield and trying to put it out of bounds inside the 10. If you switch to the returned and manually walk forward 10 yards preplay it negates any line drive that isn't near the sideline. I had to do that in '12 against a couple guys who would do the line drive intending for it to bounce short then past the return man

6. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

good to know its at least possible to catch. I guess I will walk up my return man then switch off him when the play starts. Still think its pretty lame and exploitative. Is there any reason to angle it down when you are punting from the 50? Won't it still get out of bounds at the normal angle?

7. Wyrmreaver

I'm not sure if there is a good reason to low angle it there honestly, that is just the way I always practiced it to get good at it, I suppose a regular angle would have the same effectiveness. The only difference I can think of is that a low angle kick that bounces at the 10 or 15 wont be fielded, a regular kick coming down around the 10 could potentially be fielded and returned

8. Wyrmreaver

Mizzou vs FCS team

70-0... at the half. Not sure what the final will be, I will just call dive plays and chew clock. In the first half, the Tigers have 17 rush attempts for 387 yards and 6 TDs..... the FCS team has zero turnovers, but a whole bunch of 3 and outs

9. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

In regards to my defense. Yes, I always brought one extra DB than you had receivers. It wasn't so much to stop your read-option, but to not get burned with the pass which is what happened on your opening drive. That it helps with the read option I guess was a bonus :). Rarely did I show blitz unless you were deep in my territory, otherwise, the players were just automatically doing it themselves. I used the Nickle Strong formation quite a bit against your two receiver sets, which does bring a DB into the game, but it is a SS by default.

Funny you mentioned nobody returning an interception against you, after you tackled me at at five yard line, I thought I'd end up settling for a field goal and was amazed at how fast your QB was.

In regards to the punt, while I agree with you in general about line drive punts, this was intentional on my part due to the circumstances in the game. Since I only punted once, you weren't able to see that I normally punt the ball which as much hang time as possible (same thing I do with my kickoffs). With 15 seconds remaining, I did not want to give you a chance to return the ball, and this was the closest thing to a rugby style punt that I could do. In hindsight, I could have done a normal punt out of bounds, but I have never been great at directional punting with length, or kicking FGs for that matter, and I wanted to waste as much time as possible.

10. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Basically, the thing that I wanted to avoid, and this was the only way I knew how, was for his returner to catch the ball cleanly and set up his return.

11. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Well, if we are going to continue allow those stupid line drive punts. I hope ever one realizes the have to move their kick return on every puntcause I am going to master that horse shit and fuck as many ppl as possible till it gets ban. I am living in a world of shear line drive punt spite. Now all I need to do learn how punt more often.

Rain or shine everyday 2-6 pm,arkansas is doin punt practice :)

That was a bit too spite full, I just don't like line drive punts.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Dru50 needs to be proud of his old Georgia team.

44-42 over miami

Miami giving up 44 to the Georgia... making my 21 points look bad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I'll get the summary up tonight, but besides the 6 INTs I threw, the most telling stat of the game was that their TE was a LT and he caught two passes for 44 yards. Damn cheesers. :p

14. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

The defense has been lights out the first two games. CB Parham picked off 4 passes in the game vs ou. With two more turnovers in that game, the Tiger defense already has a total of 11. Tigers cruise to an easy win.

#2 LSU 31 - #15 Oklahoma 3

15. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Aggies Start Season With a Nice 38-24 Win Between the Hedges

Texas A&M really didn't start all that strong, allowing Georgia to put up the only TD in the first quarter. But then they got rolling a little, scoring 3 times in the 2nd to take a 17-7 lead into the break on a very balanced effort.

In the second half, Georgia would start turning the Aggies over and taking advantage, scoring 10 straight to tie it. As they were going in to score and take the lead, an 80 yard fumble recovery would change the tide and give TAMU the lead again.

Georgia didn't let it bother them, marching right back down the field to tie it at 24 on the arm of Chris Weldon, but it seems the tide had turned. The 4th qtr was all Aggies, as they scored the final two TDs of the game to ice it.

16. Jayrah

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Gators Swim Back From 28 Point Deficit, Can't Quite Catch Aggies 35-28

This game was closer than it should have been in the end. After Florida scored first, the Aggies rattled off 35 straight to take a 35-7 lead midway through the 3rd qtr after a pick 6 from 72 yards by Safety Andrew Jacques. Stanley Holland terrorized the Florida defense in the 1st half, scoring 3 times in 4 drives on scoring plays of 35, 89 and 51 yards. The other drive was capped off by a 1 yard run by Clay Stephens.

The game was over. But then SatansAngel started settling down in his play calling and kept A&M off balance defensively. Florida would march down the field and score to make it respectable late 3rd, and a play later all momentum shifted the Gators' way. Drew Muhammed (7-15 119, 1 td, 1 int) would throw the int over the middle of the field and UF qb David Arrington would sprint around the left side for an 8 yard td to make it 35-21.
    A&M would run as much clock as they could, but Florida got a couple of chances after Aggie fumbles and couldn't convert them till it was too late. UF scored with 1:30 remaining to cut it to 7, but couldn't recover the onside and gave up a first down to seal the game.

GG SatansAngel1104 . Too far down but you made a game of it there towards the end. My running attack seemed to catch you off guard at times and my receivers locked up your cbs downfield to allow Holland around the edge. He's a fast sucker.

17. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

GG.
    Yeh i was just going through the motions on some of those drives and then i found the game to be close again at the end of the third.

And the worst part is my HB got hurt for the season on a seemingly non hit... He looked tired but i was too annoyed to stop just running clock. but i guess when you break a vertabrae lol... I was hoping for the injury glitch but alas he is out.
    My Offense is pretty terrible. That was the first game ive played with those players and now have an entire new lineup with Barron going down.

I dont know many of them. I think the playbook i normally play with doesnt suit them real well.

18. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Arkansas 68
    Alabama 35

Alabama was eating there wheaties, Taking an early lead, and forcing Arkansas to keep there starters in the game until late into 4th quarter. 3-4 not looking strong, but thankfully alabama kills its own drives by running the wildcat.

19. Jayrah

I was going to say it looked like you gave up as Holland was sprinting down the left sidelines for the 3rd time. Yeah forgot to mention that he went down for the year. OUCH. If not for a force, I would have kept it to at least a 14 point victory and been able to call it a dominating effort.

You're right, the offense doesn't look good at all, especially with Barron going down. Doesn't help that my defense is pretty darn good this year too. We both should have had at least one more turnover I think

20. Wyrmreaver

FIFY

21. Jayrah

I still don't know what this means?

22. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Fixed It For You

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jayrah

YOU! :mad: lol

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jayrah

I meant in general you skeez. They aren't the best this league has to offer, but compared to what I've had in the past couple years, they're pretty good. I won't know just how good until my last 3 weeks (said that in the team preview), but hopefully they come out with a nice effort against Whygod in 2 weeks.

25. Wyrmreaver

23 [​IMG] VS [​IMG] 17

Mizzou somehow sneaks out of Baton Rouge with a win!

In an early season #1 vs #2 SEC showdown, Missouri opened the game by throwing an interception in their own territory. On the play, the pass was intended for the tight end about 15 yards downfiled, but the LB spy made an NCAA '12 like superman INT. LSU capatalized when Jeff Dahl punched it in from 1 yard out for a 7-0 lead. Mizzou came roaring back, driving down the field with the no huddle before facing 3rd and 1 from the 6. Facing single coverage, senior WR Steve Coleman would convert on a fade route to even things up. LSU would answer with a FG to go up 10-7 early in the second quarter. Mizzou would answer the call again, Coleman would again face man coverage without a safety over the top, this time on 3rd and 3 from the 9. Again Coleman would make a play on a fade route, this time barely getting a foot inbounds for the TD and a 14-10 lead. After forcing a punt Mizzou would once again get into scoring position, this time managing a FG for a 17-10 lead. LSU would strike down field with just seconds left before the half, but would fall short on a 57 yard FG attempt.

LSU would get the ball to start the second half and would move down the field nicely but would miss a makeable FG (about 40-ish yards) off of the left crossbar. Mizzou would get it back and on 2nd and 10 from about the 35 TE Shannon Williams would face single coverage on a shallow post route where he badly beat his man. Brian Ray, feeling the blitz would drift to his right and set and throw a strike over the (user) LB who was late to get back to help in coverage. The throw was on the money for a long TD..... er, wait, Williams would drop the ball on a sure first and goal if not TD play! Mizzou would settle for a FG to extend the lead to 20-10. In one of the prevailing themes of the game, Jeff Dahl would get stopped on a 3rd and short run and LSU would be forced to punt again! Mizzou, facing 3rd and 6, would have a chance to put this contest away with a TD drive. On the play, the outside corner game WR Jake Carr a ton of space and Ray would correctly anticipate the blitz. Carr would run the option route slant and Ray would hit him for an easy 1st down, except that Carr would drop the ball and an LSU player would scoop it out of the air for another INT, their third of the game! This time, facing 3rd and short LSU would dial up the perfect play call. Anticipating the Mizzou gap blitz to fill rushing lanes, they would go play action and Russell would flick the ball over the blitzing 'backers to Dahl who had just taken the fake. Dahl would get the ball with nobody home and outrun the pursuit for a 27 yard TD catch to narrow the lead to 20-17. With the ball and the lead Mizzou would once more try and give the game back to LSU when Brian Ray threw his fourth INT of the game, this time one where the safety made a great play, just enging out the WR to turn what could have been 1st down Mizzou into 1st down LSU. After a big 4th and 8 conversion from their own 46, LSU would get into FG range again. This time the kick would sail wide right! Mizzou would get it back and Shannon Williams would make up for his earlier drop with a 39 yard catch and run into LSU territory. Mizzou would force LSU to use their timeouts before adding another FG to make it 23-17 with about 30 seconds left. A couple plays later the last gasp hail mary was knocked down at the 2 yard line to preserve the unlikely victory.

Key stats on the game:
    Mizzou had 4 turnovers, LSU had none
    LSU missed 3 FGs
    LSU HB Jeff Dahl had just 33 yards on 17 carries
    Mizzou recorded 5 sacks

GG MexiRican35 I feel like I stole that one, every bounce seemed to go your way from the INTs to your fumble in the redzone that my guy failed to pick up.... every bounce that is, except for the field goals.