Season 8 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by bravejaf, Mar 4, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Post recaps here

2. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Penn State- 66
    Colorado- 0

This may be Penn State's best team put together on paper and they played like it in their opener dominating Colorado for thier 1st win of the season. Jones filled in nicely at QB 14/18 284yds 3 TD, Brown and Larsen combined for 181yds 3 TD on the ground. Most importantly the Nittany Lions took care of the ball without any turnovers. The defense pitched a shutout, recorded 4 sacks and had 2 pick 6's. Up next the Tarheels travel to College Station for their first ever meeting.....

3. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

#8 Texas - 42
    Georgia - 0

Texas had a solid game against the bulldogs. The offense was balanced with 201 yards passing and 158 yards rushing. The defense put up a shut out and returned 2 ints for TDs. QB Wright's first pass of his college career was completed to a Georgia player for an int. Wright would show some mental toughness and bounce back to go 9-14 for 175 yrds 2 tds and 1 int. True Freshamn HB Kemp started his career on the right foot rushing for 150 yards on 13 carries with 1 td and also had 1 reception for 16 yrds and a td. The defense played solid not allowing any points and holding the Georgia offense to only 270 total yards. The D had 2 pick 6s and held UGA to 5-14(35%) on 3rd down conversions.

Next up the Washington State Cougars visit Austin. This will be the first meeting between Coach Slick and Coach Gowazzucougs. Texas holds the all-time record against WSU 2-1 with the last meeting in 2003

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 69
    Tennessee 0

The Buckeyes started off this season right, embarrassing the Volunteers. Tennessee has fallen a long way in the past 8 seasons and it showed in this game. Ohio State struck early and often in this game, finishing the first half with a 56-0 lead. The early part of this game was dominated by the passing attack. Chris Ford's strong play at the end of last season carried over to this season. Ford completed 13 of his 16 pass attempts for 238 yards. More importantly he threw 4 touchdown passes and 0 interceptions. Ryan Barrow was the leading receiver in this game and he made a highlight grab on a touchdown reception in the first quarter. Barrow wasn't the only target, as 7 other receivers caught passes in this game. Aside from Barrow, Mike Graham, Wesley Burgess and Ronald Smith each caught TD passes. The surprise of this game was the play of backup HB Jesse Parker. He finished with a game high 116 yards rushing, including 3 TD. He out played starter Chad Gilbert in this game, though Gilbert's job is still very safe. He was rested most of the game due to the large lead. Parker, will continue to see the field in reserve duty and he proved his value in this game. The biggest play of the game was a 62-yard TD by Parker late in the first half. He made the Tennessee linebacker look ridiculous on that play.

As for the defense, it is tough to say. Most of the takeaways were due to errors by Tennessee, including 4 recovered fumbles. The pass defense also was not really tested but they did make a few plays when needed. The OSU defense is far from perfect, but against a bad offense with bad coaching, they were fairly close. The UCLA game in week 3 will be a much better measuring stick for how the defense fares this season.

First Quarter
    04:45 TD Ohio State Chad Gilbert HB #48 2 yard rush
    03:49 TD Ohio State Wesley Burgess WR #85 18 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    01:48 TD Ohio State Ryan Barrow WR #81 48 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    00:04 TD Ohio State Mike Graham WR #82 10 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    Second Quarter
    06:28 TD Ohio State Chad Gilbert HB #48 0 yard rush
    04:38 TD Ohio State Ronald Smith TE #87 15 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    03:35 TD Ohio State Jesse Parker HB #47 4 yard rush
    01:16 TD Ohio State Jesse Parker HB #47 62 yard rush
    Forth Quarter
    06:56 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 32 yard field goal
    02:31 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 39 yard field goal
    00:33 TD Ohio State Jesse Parker HB #47 3 yard rush

5. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Week 1: UCLA 28, UNC 21

The Heels got a score to pull within 7 with 5:59 to play, but the Bruins milked the rest of the clock on a methodical drive to seal the victory.

In a game with no turnovers, the key to victory was UCLA's advantage in time of possession, winning that category 19:00-9:00 with multiple solid drives. By way of contrast Tar Heel WR Tyler Hayward hit the Bruin defense with a pair of big-play scores that failed to rattle UCLA's nerve.

The key play of the game was a UCLA touchdown from about 19 yards out with 2 seconds left on the clock in the first half. That pass tied the game at 14 with UCLA receiving the ball in the 2nd half. The Bruins used that momemtum and scored twice more in the 3rd to go up 28-14 before the Heels got it back to a one score game, leading to Perry's clock-destroying drive.

GG Perry. Next up for North Carolina: Mighty Penn State.

6. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

[​IMG]

#17 Washington St - 0 #7 Texas - 27

Texas defense steps up in Austin and shuts out the Cougars. The Texas offense was carried by true freshman Vincent Bell.
    This game was much closer than the score shows has the cougs put up a good fight. Texas was held to 308 yrds total offense and the WSU was held to 208 yards. Texas won the battle of the turnovers 2-0 as the D came away with a int deep in their own territory as WSU was looking to score and forced and recovered a fumble late in the game to seal the victory. First year starter QB Wright was 12-16 passing for 190 yrds 2 tds and 0 ints. His numbers don't look that impressive, but to only have 4 incompletions was impressive. True Freshman Bell carried the ball 18 times for 122 yards and 1 td.
    Texas took the opening kickoff down the field and scored on a 12yrd pass to WR Joseph to strike first and go up 7-0. WSU would respond by driving the ball down the field with ease, but LB Castillo would grab an int on the Texas 11 yrd line. The Horns would drive down the field but would stall and have to settle for a 44 yrd FG from Leach. Texas would force WSU to punt on their next possesion and The Longhorns would capitalize and get another TD on a 16yrd pass to WR Walters. Texas would go into halftime up 17-0.
    Washington St would get the kickoff to open the 3rd qtr but again the Texas defense would force them to punt. Texas HB Bell would then break one up the left side for a 50yrd TD run to extend the lead to 24-0. Neither team could score the rest of the 3rd so it would come to close with Texas up 24-0. In the 4th both defenses were playing solid until Texas was able to get into FG range and Leach put a 32 yarder through the uprights and push the lead to the final score of 27-0. On WSU final possesion they would fumble the ball and Texas would recover to run out the clock.

Good game Cougs. Your linebackers are FAST.

7. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Yeah, it was closer than the score indicated. There were three plays that killed me, first was the interception on the opening drive, the second was where I missed both the open WR and TE, I would have scored on that if one of them caught it. Then there was the miss fumble because if my DT recovers it I could have scored on it. Of course two plays later after the fumble you scored to make it 17-0. That is how it goes sometimes.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Nebraska - 23
    Rutgers - 22

Huskers survive against Scarlet Knights

What a terrible game for my team. I am now WAY less confident heading into my Week 2 matchup against USC, as my offense looked like a lost puppy out on the field against a sub-par Rutgers team. The defense played well, but only at times. We started with an interception on the first play of the game, but our offense couldn't get in the end zone, a recurring theme throughout the day. We settled for a 40 yard FG then promptly let Rutgers get 2 huge passing plays before scoring the first TD of the game. In the 2nd quarter we exchanged TDs before I got another FG with :22 left in the half to make the score 14-13 Rutgers.

A field goal in the 3rd for Nebraska was the only score, and that put us up 16-14. But just when it looked like we were about to put the nail in the coffin, QB Justin Ryan threw one of his 2 INTs in the end zone, and Rutgers took that momentum on an 80 yard TD drive that ended with 3:00 left in the game, and Rutgers up 22-16. 3 quick incompletions looked to doom the Huskers, but Ryan found Ryan Simmons for a big gain near midfield. A few plays later, the Huskers were inside the 10, where they had struggled to score all game. Instead of draining the clock, we went for the TD and got it, putting us up 23-22 with a minute left. Rutgers got a 30 yard pass on the first play of their drive, then another pass put them at the Nebraska 30 yard line with :40 left. After a couple short passes and timeouts, it was 3rd & 4 with :25 left. The Husker defense would step up and get a sack, making it 4th & 12 and putting Rutgers outside of FG range. With no timeouts, Rutgers scrambled to the line and hurriedly ran a WR screen that fell incomplete, and gave Nebraska the heart-pounding victory.

In not so shocking news, star HB Roland McKenzie will miss the next month with an injury, which means Brian will be seeing a lot of air raid from Nebraska next week without a running back.

9. Hokie Effect

Penn State- 49
    UNC- 10

In their first ever meeting the talent difference on the field was very evident as the Nittany Lions were able to shutdown heisman candidate Mark Craft forcing him into 4 turnovers and move the ball offensively at ease. UNC wasn't able to put together any substantial drives as they were unable to move the chains converting only 1 3rd down. Penn State's offense was effeicent and balanced. Jones was 16/22 242 4TDs, but the story of the game was Penn State's ability to run the ball as Jason Brown had a career day with 174yds 2 TD on 25 carries.

GG Vandy, would be interesting to know what the outcome would be if we were playing with even teams and good luck the rest of the season...

10. Hokie Effect

Would love to hear the recap of the Oklahoma vs Minnesota game. Looks like the Sooners blow a big lead in the 4th and lose on a hailmary!?!?

GO BIG TEN!!

11. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

I thought your corners were the real difference. My receivers just couldn't get off the line and into their routes--I don't think my top 2 had a single catch. The talent apparently leveled off a little after that as my slot guys were able to get open with some regularity but that was hardly a sure thing.

When I was up 3-0 and had you at 3rd-and-10 I thought "maybe this won't be so bad". Oh well--8 straight CPU games coming up to recapture our ranking.

12. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I was just looking and the top 2 CB's on all user teams are on Penn St, as are 3 of the top 6, 4 of the top 12 and 6 of the top 16. The Nittany Lions are loaded at what is probably the weakest position on every other user team. Well done on the recruiting trail Hokie.

13. Hokie Effect

Wow I didn't even realize that. I always try to grab at least 1 corner, free saftey, and athlete each year. I figure DB's are the most important position in the game especially CB, since the cpu is controlling them pretty much 100% of the time. Most users are partial to passing, so a good secondary is key, hence the stock piling of DB's. But don't worry you will get your chance to test my secondary....

14. Dru50

I'm looking forward to it. You're just lucky you didn't play my team last year, when my defense was as loaded as yours and I had a redshirt senior QB chucking the ball. I really think I would have ended your title streak with the team I fielded in 2016. Oh well...

That said, it will be a much tougher task this year with likely a true freshman QB and losing my top 4 CB's and entire LB corp from last year, but I really know what I want to do with my offense and defense so I plan on making sure you don't get through to NCAA 2012 with a 6 title streak going....

15. gowazzucougs

#20 WSU 28
    West Virginia 27

This was a hard fought victory for the Cougs as they leave Morgantown victorious. Antwon Brady rushed for 91 yards and scored 1 TD on a 40 yard in the second quarter. QB Drew Webb struggled at times, but made enough plays with his arm and his feet to help the Cougs. The Cougs struggled to score for the first three quarters, but was able to get in gear in the fourth. A big play was WVU fumbling the kickoff return after the Cougs pulled to within 7 points. A few plays later Webb found WR Barrett Bray in the end zone for a 20 yard TD pass. Then the Cougs forced a three and out, got the ball, and then apparent disaster struck as Webb got injured. Then on 3rd and 14 the backup QB Brandon Mosby hit Mark Whitlock for a 61 yard TD pass to give the Cougs the lead. Then the Cougs tried to lose the game. The defense came up with an interception, then turned the ball over on an interception. The Mountaineers would score a TD with less than a minute but missed the extra point. The Mountaineers then got the onside kick, but were unable to move the ball giving the Cougs the victory. Up next UCLA.

16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Glad you won Wazzu. I was going to throw out results till you won that game, as I didn't want WVU going undefeated. :)

Even better that it happened on the first try.

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

[​IMG] 24
    [​IMG] 23

POTG: QB Justin Ryan - 12/25, 171 YDS, 8 CAR, 123 YDS, 3 TOTAL TD

Nebraska squeezes by USC with a last second touchdown after giving up the lead in the 4th quarter. The game started well for the Huskers, as Justin Ryan took an option run 80 yards to the house on the first play of the game. Both defenses would play well for the next quarter, until USC HB Glenn Smith broke one 49 yards for a touchdown to tie the game. Each team would add a field goal before half to send it into the locker room tied at 10-10. Nebraska got a big INT on USC's first drive of the 3rd quarter, and turned that into a touchdown to take the lead. USC would drive down into Nebraska territory but settled for a field goal at the end of the quarter. USC played fantastically to start the 4th, getting a touchdown, then intercepting Ryan to seemingly put the game away, up 20-17 with only a few minutes left in Nebraska territory. But Brian played it safe, and the Nebraska defense held the USC offense on 3rd and short, and USC promptly kicked the FG with 2 minutes left to go up 23-17. The Husker offense came out and didn't miss a beat, quickly getting into USC territory before methodically punching it in with :14 left on a 11 yard touchdown pass to give Nebraska the 24-23 win. GG Brian

18. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

that was fucking stupid. I should have went for the jugular .

Oh well...gg back atcha.

19. gowazzucougs

Well WVU was 0-1 going into the game, now they are 0-2. Going with the redshirt freshman is difficult at times, but he is sure fast. I am positive that Perry is going to complain about the kid.

20. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I did not catch that. Well still glad you got the victory. Now I just need to hope and pray all the mid majors lose. I didn't really schedule anyone outside of SEC/Big East. I can safely say Bama will not be in the title picture as they should be 0-2 or 0-3 by now, plus they have to deal with the Buckeyes in week 14 :).

21. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Week #3: UNC 45, Wake Forest 7

After losing a close one to UCLA and getting thumped by Penn State, the Heels are finally in the win column after pasting the Demon Deacons. QB Mark Craft was 18-24 with 3 TDs/0 INTs and another score on the ground, plus the defense "interecepted" two WFU option pitches in the air and returned them for scores. (Technically these go down as fumble recoveries.) The Heels were going for a shutout but WFU got a late score to avoid that humiliation.

With the win the Heels are back in the polls at #24 and will look to improve their position next week against arch-football rival NC State in Raleigh.

22. Hokie Effect

Penn State- 66
    Iowa- 0

Penn State put on a football clinic for their visiting recruits (my entire board). The Nittany Lions held the Hawkeyes to 91yds of offense, only 4 1st downs, converting only 1 3rd down, 2 ints, and recording 3 sacks. On offense Jones was 12/16 262yds 3 TD. Brown, resurecting the once forgotten ground game, rushed for 196yds 3 TD. In all Penn State accounted for 687yds of total offense. Penn State's frieght train visits Illinois next week.

23. gowazzucougs

#18 WSU 7
    #12 UCLA 14

The only positive thing I can say is that my team can play some defense. The Cougs held the Bruins to 14 points, but the offense could not take advantage of the great defensive performance. The running game was nonexistent and Antwon Brady only rushed for 18 yards. WSU QB Drew Webb struggled for the first three quarters, but got going in the fourth as he was able lead the Cougs to a touchdown in the fourth quarter. However, on the kickoff the Bruins returned the kickoff to the the fifty, and the Bruins just ate the clock out as the Cougar defense could not stop the Bruins offense.

24. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I wanted to break my controller in half today. My #2 WR and only big play threat is out for the season. I benched him 1 play too late as he was hurt on the opening kickoff of second half. I substituted him out of the game but a play later the injury notification showed up on the bottom of the screen.

25. Dru50

That's exactly what happened to my QB on LSU in C2C, played him for one drive in the 2nd half of a blowout and he gets late hit after a pass and is out for the year. I thought it was really bad luck, then I realized that every guy on that LSU team is injury prone.