Season 8 Scores

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by fuzzyl0gic, Apr 29, 2011.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Post all game recaps here.

2. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

#7 Rutgers-38
    Washington State-0

This was just a bad game overall for the Cougars, amassing under 200 yards of total offense as well as throwing 5 picks. Rutgers defensive line spent most of the day in the backfield as well, grabbing two sacks, but causing numerous bad throws. The situation wasn't made much better when starting QB Cedric Green went down with an injury in the second quarter and couldn't return until the fourth.

Rutgers did anything they wanted on offense and if not for them being in cruise control in the second half it could have easily been a 60 plus point day for the Scarlet Knights.

The Cougars will have to regroup for their trip to Tallahassee to face #25 FSU.

GG @fuzzyl0gic, my team just isn't quite ready for the big stage, but this will be a character game for them.

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

#9 Michigan State - 59

Akron - 14

Zips fall prey to Spartans

Michigan State opens up with a massive victory over a team that should think about leaving Division 1 football. Akron managed two cheap scores in the 4th when Masler pulled his starting defense and even forced a turnover when the backup HB lost the ball fighting for the first down. On the other hand the offense was huge today as new starting QB Bruce Robinson only missed one pass and threw no interceptions. Another big player was the new HB Olson with over 150 yards rushing and a couple of electrifying scores, including a 76 yard touchdown rush on the first snap of the game.

Michigan State goes up 1-0 and will travel down South to face the Auburn Tigers Week 2.

Stats

B. Robinson - 10/11, 139 yards, 3 TD, 4 Rec, 27 yards, TD

E. Olson - 17 Att, 186 yards, 2 TD
    A. Lemon - 13 Att, 64 yards, TD

C. Williams - 3 Rec, 44 yards, TD
    K. McAfee - 2 Rec, 30 yards, TD

P. Silva - 10 Tackles, TFL, Sack
    E. Hill - 9 Tackles, 5 TFL, 2 Sacks

4. fuzzyl0gic

GG man, it definitely was a mismatch with Rutgers being A on offense/defense and Washington State being D for both. You have to the best sport ever to take over that team and have the patience to rebuild them. This is by FAR the best team I've ever coached at Rutgers, there is just talent and depth at nearly every position. Good luck this season man, you are turning the corner finally with that team recruiting wise. Hang in there.

5. fuzzyl0gic

Solid win, but I didn't expect anything less. I gave you a warm-up game to test your new faces out.

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Appreciate that. I'm really liking my passing game, especially the new QB (too bad he's a senior) and Olson is highly underrated if he can keep running like he did today. I'm hoping we both can go undefeated into our season closing game.

7. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

#12 Iowa 41
    Air Force 16

The Hawkeyes opened the season in dominant fashion, crushing the Air Force Falcons 41-16. Iowa debuted an all new offense with only three of last years starters returning. HB Beau Joseph carved his way through the AF defense in the first half. The Falcons couldn't find an answer for the tough Hawkeye defense and struggled to convert any first downs. New starting QB Korey Kaplan and rookie TE Rob Chambers had an impressive showing, managing to hook up twice on two long TDs. The second half consisted of the Iowa second string playing cleanup duty, holding the Falcons to only 10 points while putting up six of their own. Iowa continues their road trip next week facing rivals Iowa State.

Stats

Iowa
    QB Korey Kaplan 8/12 219 yds 2 TDs
    HB Anthony Walker 82 yds 1 TD
    HB Beau Joseph 68 yds
    TE Rob Chambers 151 yds 2 TDs

Air Force
    QB Andy Ward 14/20 230 yds 1 TD
    ROLB Joe Jones 6 tkls
    CB Lorenzo Williams 4 tkls 1 FF

8. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

AP
    Clemson, S.C.- It was fireworks in the Palmetto State today when Syracuse and Clemson took the field in a battle of unranked teams. To the surprise of Coach Brantley sixth year senior quarterback Nate Anderson took the field to lead this team for one more year. Anderson applied for a medical redshirt during his sophmore year after missing significant playing time due to personal illness. The redshirt wasn't applied for until after last season but the coaching staff was not optimistic about it being granted. "Well we didn't think there was a shot at all of him getting it but he did and our offense is certainly grateful for that!" Coach Brantley said during the post game conference at Clemson's Memorial Stadium.

Anderson led the Orange offense up and down the field at ease for most of the game. Racking up multiple touchdown passes and with help from the running game the Orange had no problem getting points on the board and in a hurry. Too bad for the Orange Crush defense that Clemson didn't have much trouble throwing up some impressive numbers of their own. With two seconds left in the first half Clemson's poised quarterback dropped back and managed to hit a wide open wide receiver for a forty yard touchdown to get the Tiger offense on the board.

But this game was well in hand after the fourth quarter was started. The Syracuse coaching staff might even come under some scrutiny after scoring a late touchdown in the game when quarterback Nate Anderson found his running back wide open on a third down. "Well we were grinding out the clock and wanted to get the first down to just wind it all down. We audibled to a playaction pass when we saw they were bringing the entire linebacking core. They ended up leaving our running back wide open with nothing but green in front of him. I can't fault him for running down and scoring now can I? I think in the future we might just go ahead and kneel on it then punt it back to them. But who knows maybe we won't. We don't want to have to punt then all of a sudden one of our starters goes down there and ends up getting himself injured. So I don't know we'll discuss later on in the week. Certainly the Clemson coaching staff knows we have nothing but the upmost respect for them and what they do and that we certainly meant no disrespect."

9. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

[​IMG][​IMG]

In Coach BigBodySS's Rise debut the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets were able to ride a good performance from the running game to put away Florida International 42-27. The Jackets were up 42-6 early in the 3rd quarter and proceeded to call off the dogs. When the game got a bit uncomfortable GT wasn't able to turn it back on and as a result the game was closer than they would have liked.

Senior QB Danny Ross had a good performance needing only 12 passing attempts, completing 7, for 150 yards a TD and an INT. Ross used his legs very well as his own running prowess helped spur the entire running game for the Jackets. Ross's numbers don't show how well he managed the game, making plays when they were needed to convert multiple 3rd Downs and keep his defense off the field.

As for that defense, once FIU got rolling GT wasn't able to get stops when needed. FIU converted multiple chances for scores closing the wide gap that had opened early in the game. The scary part is FIU's offense is only rated a D; it's going to be a bumpy ride this season if the defense can't play with more consistency.

QB Danny Ross 7/12, 150 Yards, 1TD/1INT, 9 Att, 86 yards
    RB Michael Goddard 10 Att, 96 Yards, 1TD
    RB Troy Marks 4 Att, 64 Yards, 2TD
    WR Kenny Holmes 3 Rec, 94 Yards, 1TD

10. Masler

Masler Moderator

#9 Michigan State - 45

#19 Auburn - 22

Spartans skin Tigers

Auburn flew down the field in the opening position, looking like it was going to be a tough game for MSU but 21 unanswered points later MSU was in a comfortable lead. They would take the lead 28-14 into halftime and never look back at they showed the Tigers who was boss. MSU is still on a roll, keeping the Tigers to 4 yards rushing. Bruce Robinson still looks sharp, throwing for 2 TD's and showing his mobility as well with 53 yards rushing. Olson impressed me today as he surpassed 150 yards on the ground in his second start.

Michigan State is now 2-0 and will face another southern opponent in Kentucky Week 3.

11. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#12 Iowa 16
    Iowa State 6

Iowa continued their road trip to Ames to face the rival Iowa State Cyclones. The Hawkeye's starting QB Korey Kaplan went down early in the first quarter and it was up to senior backup QB Adam Shaw to lead Iowa to victory. Iowa was only able to find the end zone once and had to settle for a couple field goals instead. But that would be more than enough to finish off the Cyclones, who couldn't make anything happen against a dominant Hawkeye defense. Iowa travels to Happy Valley next week to take on Big Ten heavyweights Penn State.

Stats

Iowa
    QB Adam Shaw 13/25 118 yds 1 TD
    HB Beau Joseph 91 yds
    TE Rob Chambers 89 yds
    LOLB Wesley Sullivan 5 tkls 1 sack 1 FF
    RE Maurice Johnson 7 tkls 1 FF

Iowa State
    QB Howard Coleman 22/35 316 yds 1 TD/1 INT
    WR Mark Butler 103 yds
    SS Bryan Henderson 5 tkls 1 INT

12. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Arizona Inches by Rutgers 34-31

Rutgers traveled to the heart of Tuscon, Arizona. Arizona early started out with the toss and Coach Duke chose to receive, many Wildcats puzzled by his choice. But they got the ball and started their drive. Arizona coming off their last week brutal defeat 6-34 by UNC didn't feel as if they can compete with Rutgers at all. But Coach Duke remembered Coach Fuzzy always had a hard time defending the spread and used that as an advantage and it showed. Darnell Jefferson was on firing on all Cylinders against Rutgers poor secondary to put Arizona up 7-0 early in the first quarter. Arizona kicked off and their defense started off aggressive getting an early strip and recovering the ball. As Darnell Jefferson hit Battle on a quick flat and ran it in for a TD the crowd got in to the game. Wildcats up 14-0 at this point. Rutgers had a good drive going which was halted by Arizona's defense by a sack. They got the ball back to score another TD and go up 21-0 early in the second quarter. Then Rutgers pulled out their weapon, Wilcox he ran the ball down Arizona's throat to get them on the board. Arizona and Rutgers traded possessions with little time remaining in the game Arizona got a field goal to go up 24-7 at halftime. Then for Arizona everything just fell apart not putting up any points in the 3rd quarter. Poor tackling and poor pass coverage is what led Rutgers to only a 7 point deficit. Arizona settled for a field goal which put them up 27-17 in the fourth quarter. Rutgers then threw a nice route and got in the endzone again. Arizona tried to play conservative but it didn't work and had to punt. Both teams traded possessions but then Jefferson found Starks on a streak for a TD to put Arizona up 34-24. On a busted play Montoya was able to throw his third touchdown of the game. Rutgers then tried an onside kick but failed and Arizona just ran out the clock.

Good Game @fuzzy10gic

• Like Like x 1
  13. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Wow guys talk about a battle in the desert! Looks like the bcs title game will elude Rutgers once again. Can't wait to see fuzzy's write up!

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

#9 Michigan State - 56

#15 Kentucky - 7

Spartans slaughter Wildcats

Coach Masler expressed his discontent about a long TD run that ended his hopes of a shutout: "It was the only disappointment of the day, he slipped through the tackles and before we knew it, that big zero had turned into a seven." Other than that he expressed many words of praise for his team, such as Bruce Robinson continuing to look like a major player in the Spartan offense and Backup QB Jerry White going 5/5 and a TD. QB Robinson was caught after the game and was asked about his first INT of the season: "Well I knew it was going to happen eventually, it was disappointing but the fact that the defense forced a punt and got me back on the field so quickly was nice."

Michigan State is now 3-0 and will start Big Ten play next week in Camp Randall against the Badgers.

15. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

#23 Syracuse 52
    #17 TCU 37

AP
    Fort Worth, T.X.- It is another year and that means the Orange and Blue annual rivalry game has been revisited! These two schools have played some barn burning games over the course of Coach Brantley's tenure at Syracuse. This year would be no different with amazing plays and exciting turns at every corner. Syracuse came into the game ranked #23 in the country and faced off against a TCU squad ranked in the top 20.

The game started off with fireworks on the very first play from scrimmage. TCU quarterback Jeremy Foster dropped back to make his first pass of the game and Syracuse defensive tackle Jake O'Neil would sack him knocking the ball loose and then pick it up and return it 14 yards for the first points of the game. It wouldn't be the first outstanding defensive play of the game as the Orange Crush defense would make two sacks on Foster and force two fumbles during the game.

The defense wasn't alone making big plays as senior quarterback Nate Anderson threw for well over four hundred yards and two touchdown passes while also running one in from 15 yards out on a key third down in the TCU redzone. The running game was played by committee today as Maurice Lewis and Brian Pittman would account for over 150 yards rushing and three total touchdowns. Syracuse did everything right to leave the Lone Star state with a victory and preserve its Top 25 ranking.

16. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Virginia Tech 14
    Georgia Tech 17

Virginia Tech rolled into Atlanta for their Rivalry Game with the Yellow Jackets heavily favored in the ratings. Georgia Tech's ratings are C+ all the way down the board while VT is no lower than B+ in any area. However, as with most Rivalry Games the ratings were thrown out the window once the teams hit the field.

A defensive battle ensued for a scoreless 1st quarter as both teams traded punts. Georgia Tech's defense was abused late in the game last week as FIU scored 21 second half points but they were much more up to the task this week as they held the Hoakies scoreless for the entire first half heading into the locker room with a 10-0 lead.

As the 2nd half started GT's defense once again bent but didn't break forcing a punt and then marched methodically all the way down the field for a TD to take a 17-0 lead. However with only :51 left in the 3Q VT finally broke through for a TD of their own to trail 17-7 at the start of the 4th quarter.

VT's defense stiffened in the 4th quarter getting a stop and slowly working their way down the field to put up another TD with 2:52 remaining in the game. However GT's senior QB Danny Ross and junior RB Michael Goddard would not allow their offense to fail as they slowly chewed clock, forced VT to use their timeouts and finally took 3 straight knees on the VT 15 yard line to wind out the clock.

The game was a huge victory on the recruiting trail as well as GT had their #2 recruit on the board in attendance. DT Jason McDowell has GT ranked #3 on his list however GT combined McDowell's visit for the Rivalry Win with a X2 recruiting bonus that resulted in more than 800 points gained during this weeks phone call. McDowell was reached after arriving home from the visit and he said "I had a great time at Tech, the weekend was just about perfect. I can say there just might be a change at the top of my board next week". It would be a huge get for GT as they only have 2 DT's on the entire roster due to the failures of the previous coaching staff.

QB Danny Ross 10/20, 151 yards, 1 TD, 7 ATT, 3 Yards, 1 TD
    RB Michael Goddard 23 ATT, 89 Yards
    WR Craig Jones 5 Rec, 92 Yards, 1 TD

• Like Like x 1
  17. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

GREAT write up!!! I really like how you got a recruits reaction to the visit and game results!

18. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

Thanks! I just reread it and realize that I use "however" way too much, I gotta come up with another transition. HOWEVER, it does work well for me, lol.

I follow recruiting pretty closely for the 'Noles so I tried to incorporate the style in how they get recruit reaction after big wins.

19. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

I haven't checked, is this a conference game? Just wondering if you guys put TCU in the BE and Nebraska in the B10 before starting the dynasty.

20. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

No they are still MWC. My first year at Syracuse they were on the schedule and beat me I think. So i requested fuzzy to set up a rematch the following year. The games have been great so I've kept them on my schedule with rotating home and home series.

21. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

Florida State 42
    BC 38

An Offensive shootout in Boston, FSU outlasts BC. A game that came down to who would score last, the Seminoles put up 21 on the board in the 4th to win. QB Caleb Walker was 23-28, 340 yards and 3 td's.

22. Masler

Masler Moderator

#8 Michigan State - 45

Wisconsin - 14

Badgers disappoint

I expected more out of what was once one of my fiercest rivals. But in recent years I have stole into Wisconsin as a pipeline and it looks like all of their talent comes my way now. Michigan State opened up this game with a 21-0 lead before a freak fumble occured when Robinson got drug down from behind. The resulting fumbled was scooped and scored. Robinson also threw two rare picks on the day but never let up as he threw for over 300 yards and 3 TD's. Wisconsin kept trying to pound the rock at the Spartan defense but the phalanx was too much as they were held to just 11 yards rushing. Olson also had nice day to stretch his legs with 2 long TD rushes.

MSU goes up 4-0(1-0) as they prepare for the annual rivalry vs Michigan, who is now user controlled. Coach Masler commented that his team will play no different and that the Wolverines should continue to fear the Spartans ;) (haha can't resist).

Stats

B. Robinson - 18/25, 353 yards, 3 TDs

E. Olson - 12 Att, 138 yards, 2 TD

C. Williams - 6 Rec, 127 yards, 2 TD
    K. McAfee - 3 Rec, 51 yards, TD
    J. Smith - 4 Rec, 93 yards
    J. Jackson - 3 Rec, 51 yards

E. Hill - 5 Tackles, 5 TFL, 5 Sacks
    J. James - 7 Tackles, 2 Sacks

J. Bates - 2 KR, 1 KR-TD

23. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

I hate to call people out but this is weak man. You've got to put more effort into a game recap than two sentences. If you're too busy to write one up at the moment just hold off until you can actually put a decent one up. This is really unacceptable and it does not meet the content requirements of the league. You are not currently doing any type of POTW or Recruit tracker so there is no reason why you should be writing recaps with such little content. And this is your first recap you've posted. You didn't post one for your first game of the year either. You need to step it up man b/c you are not adding anything to this league right now.

@fuzzyl0gic
    @gwill

• Like Like x 1
  24. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Georgia Tech 37
    Navy 7

FINALLY!

That's what Georgia Tech's Defensive Coordinator John Heisman (yes, that Heisman) has to be thinking now that his defensive unit finally showed up for a game. Admittedly it was against a completely out-manned and poorly recruited Navy squad but it's still a confidence boost for a unit that hasn't had a truly dominant showing yet this year.

Tech's Coach Paul Johnson is still widely considered the preeminent coach of the fleXbox One system in the country and knew what to expect out of Navy. He admitted having a hand in the defensive game plan this week, "I definitely sat in on a few more defensive meetings this week than I normally do. I understand the defense had yet to have a showing they were really proud of and I knew that I could offer some defensive keys to pay attention to in order for the guys on that side of the ball to get some confidence a week before a crucial conference match-up with North Carolina."

Coach Johnson is right, UNC is next week and it is a big game for Tech as far as a measuring stick but first thing's first, the Jackets had to take care of the Midshipmen. After trading punts Tech finally broke through with about 3 minutes left on the clock for their initial touchdown of the game from a nice pass by QB Danny Ross. After getting the ball back the Jackets turned their attention to establishing the ground game as they pounded starting RB Michael Goddard four-straight times before disaster struck. On his fourth straight carry Goddard was hit out of bounds by three Navy players and immediately grabbed his back. The stretcher's were called out as Goddard was rushed to the emergency room for x-rays that revealed Goddard would be out for the season with a broken vertebrae in his back.

While this is certainly a huge blow to the squad as Goddard is one of the most popular players on the team, Coach Johnson thinks they can continue moving forward. Coach Johnson said "We're lucky that we have four backs including Michael that are starting quality. Any one of those other three guys can step up and take the reins." Coach Johnson is of course referring to the Four Horseman recruiting class that came in at RB three years ago with so much fan fare. The group has consistently said that any of them could take the lead from game to game even though Goddard was getting the majority of the carries, well now Troy Marks is the next guy up and will get his shot.

After Goddard's injury Tech was able to stay focused and continue to score enough that Coach Johnson was able to sub in his 2nd team offense and defense with about a minute left in the 3rd quarter. The young guys played well however they were very disappointed that they allowed Navy to score a touchdown and erase a shutout with 10 seconds left in the game. Still, the overall showing from the defense and offense should be a good spring board to next week against a very tough UNC team.

QB - Danny Ross 5/6, 92 yards, 2 TDs, 4 Attempts, 40 yards, 2 TDs
    RB - Troy Marks 13 Attempts, 144 yards, 1 TD
    WR - Craig Jones 3 receptions, 55 yards, 1 TD

• Like Like x 1
  25. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    Apologies for my info lacking lately, dealing with work and finals, so when I get a break I will tr and get some stuff in, but in a week and a half I should be good to go.

New Offense Shines in Debut
    AP-Seattle, WA

Washington Huskies- 52
    Oregon State- 14

The Washington Huskies took the field with one difference that everyone wanted to see. After falling to Rutgers and Western Kentucky a change was needed and the Huskies made the move. After firing 3 year Offensive Coordinator the Huskies offense looked for some pop, and that is what they got. The first quarter looked the same as the Huskies got only 1 TD and it appeared that maybe it was the same as it had always been, and it was a talent problem not a coaching problem. But then the second quarter happened. The Huskies scored three touchdowns and kicked a field goal. as they pulled away from the Beavers. The Huskies offense would put together 7 touchdowns on the day as the offense proved to the country that it was ready to perform to it's talent level. "Something had been missing all season, and the new outlook seemed to put a little something in the players step"said coach broth, "we walked on the field and you could tell the offense thought they were going to score everytime they had it, and for the most part that is what we did."