Season 8 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Keller, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Feel free to talk about your team.... you know I'm going to.

I followed Hellisan's nice little how-to-guide in the T1 forums to grab all this stuff from the wire. Only took me about 15-20 mins. I encourage you all to do the same but you all can talk about your team however you like.

[​IMG]
    Its a season of hope in Columbus - the Buckeyes are primed for a title run and few teams can match Ohio State's talent level. The team has that unique mix of veterancy and youth - speed and skill - passion and grit. Anything less than a BCS National Championship birth will be considered a let down.

Coach K is the winningest coach in Division 1 since 2011 - compiling 80 wins in that time with the University of Buffalo and Alma Mater Ohio State. Some thought the exit of Senator Tressel would bring this program to its knees, Coach K has brought this team and the city to a fever pitch following a blowout win in the Orange Bowl and the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country. The buzz in Columbus is palpable, a thick stew of excitement and anticipation for the new season.

The road will not be easy. Non conference opponents include Florida State, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, and LSU. Conference opponents Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, upstart Indiana and of course Michigan stand in their path. No champion is forged without fire. Here the Buckeyes stand on the precipice of greatness. Their tumble? Tragic. Their triumph? Legend. Which will it be?

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I like the idea of the spreadsheet preview, but it needs to be formatted so you don't have to scroll to read shit. Merging cells accordingly, etc.

3. Keller

I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind - its a lot of info/data - I don't know how you're going to get that on the page without scrolling.

I tried going the image route first but photobucket shrinks the size so small that its unreadable.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The position summaries need to have less columns allocated to them. If people want to see all the ratings, they can scroll, but you can format the text so that you can view everything within the window.

5. Keller

Hmmm... well, show me what you have in mind I suppose.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Okay, if you need me to. Share the sheet and link me.

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Like such...

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Personally, I still like more than a positional breakdown. Which is why I did the CFN style preview (what to look for on offense/defense, season will be a success if, etc). Plus, I like to add in some recruiting information about last class.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Next season, I'll probably assign a coach from the opposite conference to do team preview for the other conference. That way we get some unbiased writing going on. Plus it's always neat to have your team evaluated by a third party.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I liked doing that.

11. Keller

I'm not sure what you really accomplished here..... you got rid of most of the stuff so it fit in a smaller window? Whats the downside of scrolling?

The kicker is that everyone's screen resolutions are different so some people have to scroll sideways and some won't. I'm basing that off the assumption you changed the merge and center from the entire width of the attributes to only up to ELU - I'm guessing thats all you can see on yours, but mine is different.

12. Keller

Why wait a year? Do it now.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ya, my resolution is such that Drifters only covers half the window heh

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    If you shorten it like I did, it assures that everyone can read it, regardless of resolution. Horizontal scrolling makes me want to punch my screen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Keller

While I agree it should be small enough so most people can read it, I think you're crazy if you have a resolution any smaller than say... 1280X1024

16. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Big Ten Previews

Ohio State -- Drifter
    Northwestern -- JMustang
    Indiana -- Sanders
    Illnois -- Goose
    Michigan -- BBJ
    Iowa -- BobJr

Pac 12 Previews

Oregon State -- Keller
    Arizona State -- Shaun
    Utah -- Jr
    Stanford -- Lawdog
    Cal -- Bond
    Arizona -- Iowa

17. Keller

Someone needs to post one first, so I understand the length and complexity requirements. Also, I would think making sure everyone has their recruiting sheet posted from last season would be helpful.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It was a suggestion. Don't make it out to be a big deal, dude.

19. Keller

Sorry if I gave that impression - I wasn't trying to.

20. JrRawlins

go as in depth as you would like.... i am gonna do a positional breakdown for Sanders.....with a bold prediction...

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Okay, let's make this happen:

1) Make sure your recruiting spreadsheet from season 7 is posted. I have all the season 8 schedules posted HERE.

2) Write a season preview of the team beside your name:

Big Ten Previews

Ohio State -- Drifter
    Northwestern -- Jmustang1968
    Indiana -- theSANDMAN215
    Illnois -- Timpegoose
    Michigan -- bringbackjimmy
    Iowa -- B0BJR0526

Pac 12 Previews

Oregon State -- Keller
    Arizona State -- Shaun Mason
    Utah -- JrRawlins
    Stanford -- OMlawdog
    Cal -- Bondzai007
    Arizona -- Emmdotfrisk

3) Follow the general outline of a CFN team preview: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1075346.html
    Feel free to be creative, but in general it should be a summary story followed by similar topics outlined in the article in bold. You can break down positions inside their respective offensive and defensive categories, but let's hear about the units as a whole as well.

4) Complete by Tuesday at midnight.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

ooh mixing it up a bit.

23. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Homework assignment :eek:

Not sure if I will be able to get thie done in time.

24. JrRawlins

[​IMG]
    Utah Utes 2018 Season Preview

What to watch for on offense: The Utes offense should feature a true freshman, Justin Crenshaw as the starter at QB.... with senior HB Bryan Turner projected to carry most of the load in the backfield.... the Utes receiving core has alittle bit of talent with their senior duo Ernest Dunbar and Jeff Cary. After that pair the talent is limited and unproven, Kyle Gordon has serious speed, but his hands are beyond suspect but if Coach Sanders could get some production out of him, Gordon could potentially be special. The Utes passing game could seriously have to lean on the senior tight end Derek Walton, the senior tight end has the ability to carry the passing offense. The Utes offensive line is senior-laden and talented except at the center position where redshirt freshman Gerald Williams will start. If Williams can consistently get the offensive line to gel and protect Crenshaw, the Utes offense could be productive.

What to watch for on defense: The Utes defense looks in far better shape especially at defensive tackle. Martin Clark and Travis O'Donnell are both studs while left end David King is only a sophomore and has a great skills set for such a young player. Senior Ricky Riley should man the right defensive end position, Riley is a solid player.... The linebacking corp is led by Lamar Dennis, who while he is a senior he is a absolute stud. Eddie jackson is another linebacker who has the skill set to dominate on the other side of the line... Ron Williams is the man in the middle, he has speed, strength and block shedding ability to be a real problem in the Pac 12 for the next several seasons.... The Utes secondary is led by senior Rob Black, but they are solid all-around... their coverage abililty should really improve the defense's chances of being successful .

Best offensive player: Bryan Turner is clearly the best player on the offense and he will dictate if the how well the offense plays. If Turner can consistently finds hole, he will take alot of pressure off freshman QB Justin Crenshaw. If Turner is unsuccessful, the pressure will be placed squarely on Crenshaw which could be disasterous.

Best defensive player: Rob Black, he is one of the best corners in the nation.... Any QB throwing around him is a mistake... his combination of speed and coverage ability make him a Qb's nightmare..

The season will be a success if: The Utes can compete for a PAC-12 South Division title. The lack of playmakers on offense, will put an extreme amount of pressure on the defense to keep the scores of games close.

Key games
    Week 2 vs Iowa (EmmdotFrisk)​
    Week 5 vs USC​
    Week 6 @ Arizona State​
    Week 11 vs Arizona​
    Week 12 vs Stanford​
    Bold Prediction
    The Utes will struggle to score point due to their lack of playmakers. We believe they will make a bowl, but we arent ceratin they can compete with the top teams in the Pac12...
    Final Record for 2018:
    7-5

• Like Like x 1
  25. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

[​IMG] 2019 ARIZONA WILDCATS FOOTBALL
    SEASON PREVIEW

[​IMG]

2018 Season Breakdown
    Final record (overall): 2-10
    Bowl game: None
    Final ranking (AP, Coaches’): NR, NR
    Conference finish: T-5th Pac-10
    Offensive rank: NA
    Defensive rank: NA

2018 Individual Statistics Leaders
    Rushing: TBD
    Passing: TBD
    Receiving: TBD
    Tackles: TBD
    Sacks: TBD
    Interceptions: TBD

2019 Schedule
    September 3 @ Texas Christian University [ESPN]
    September 8 vs. Fresno State
    September 17 @ West Virginia University
    September 24 vs. Colorado University
    October 1 @ Univeristy of California-Los Angeles
    October 8 vs University of California* [ESPN]
    October 20 @ Oregon University
    October 29 vs Washington State University
    November 5 @ Utah* [ESPN]
    November 12 vs Oregon State University [ESPN]
    November 19 vs Arizona State University* [ESPN]
    November 26 @ University of California-Berkley

Key Matchups
    October 1 vs USC: With a brutal first-half schedule, Arizona cannot afford any slip-ups against teams they’re capable of beating. The Trojans came away with a conference championship last year and look to maintain there success in the Pac 12. USC will travel to Tucson with a chance of losing to a competitive Arizona team under new coach King Bob.

November 5 vs. Utah: Don’t underestimate Utah. Although Arizona State is garnering most of the Pac-12 South talk this year, and USC is expected to finish atop the standings , but Utah could sneak up on a few people this year. The Wildcats will be on a mission to collect wins in their brutal second half of their schedule.

November 19 @ Arizona State: Anything can happen in the Territorial Cup. The Sun Devils won it last season, despite having a down year. This won’t be the final game of the season for either side, but it’ll hold a lot of importance. ASU is hoping to earn a shot at the Pac-12 title, while Arizona—who could be in the mix for the South title, too, if things fall their way—will probably be looking for a marquee win in the final games of their season.

Key Departed Players
    TBD

Key Returning Players
    WR Adam Price, HB Brock Kearney, MLB Frank Baker, DE Eric Lucas, ROLB Jay Abrams, QB Bob Williams, SS Ross Keller

Offensive Overview
    Bob Williams is one of the Pac-12′s most accurate passers even if he’s overshadowed by QB's on more premier teams in Oregon State and USC. Williams returns for his second year as the starter after taking over in 2017. Paul Wright is the probably backup without starting experience but he will be expected to make plays if Williams goes down as the Wildcats aren't very deep at QB. Brock Kearney, Chad Whitehead, and Edward Hill anchor the running back core who all expect to get carries throughout the season with Kearney being the highlight back due to his incredible running skills inside the tackles. Meanwhile, the receivers corps is stocked with young talent. Senior Adam Price is a dynamic playmaker, and Carl Vinson, will be a big part of the passing game. Rounding out a receivers corps that should help Arizona’s air raid passing attack flourish is Fred DeAngelis, Darius Harvey and Shawn Watkins, each of whom are projected to have over 300 yards receiving throughout the season. Meanwhile, the offensive line must replace three starters, putting a damper on any preseason hype the Arizona offense may have otherwise received. Left tackle Tremaine Chance and Kerry Weaver will line up as experienced tackles, while the G's and C will all be freshmen.

Defensive Overview
    Up front for the Wildcats, Kasey Mills returns to the interior after a very good campaign last season. Tremayne Webb will join Mills on the interior getting time as a Redshirt Freshmen. DE Eric Lucas will fill anchor the end role with some uncertainty at Gene Fuller slotted to compete with John Ferguson, Antwan Sims, and Brad Ross for the other defensive end slot. Experience on the edges is quite nominal but senior OLB Jay Abrams will provide playmaking ability in the LB core with redshirt sophomores Jason Nelson and Fred Mason competing for the remaining OLB spot. There is a logjam of experience at the MLB position as Frank Baker, Rico Nelson, and James Whitaker all possess skills to roam the middle of the field. Senior Frank Baker will likely fill the starting role but depending on a 3-4 or 4-3 setup, Juniors Rico Nelson and James Whitaker getting time. The Cornerback core is extremely inexperienced but have an enormous amount of potential. Sophomores Stan Flynn, Mario Johnson, and Charles Jackson look to be the 1,2,3 in nickel formations with Freshmen Jerry Hinds getting some snaps in Dime and Prevent formations. Junior Ross Keller will lead the safety core as the strong safety but the Free Safety position will be filled with a tall drink of water sophomore Alex Peoples will get the start as a 6'4" safety.

Emmdotfrisk's Take
    " The Arizona Wildcats have a ton of holes but I am confident that with a few good recruiting classes they will be able to compete in the Pac 12. Their Linebacking core is by far the most experienced and strong piece of the team but the youth in the secondary is hopeful. If Bob can have a good couple of offensive line classes and get some depth on the D line and LB core, he can quickly begin to cover his bases. Quarterback Bob Williams, Receiver Bob Williams, and Running Back Brock Kerney have the offensive spark needed to get the Wildcats to a bowl game this season."

Top Draft Prospects
    QB Bob Williams, WR Price, MLB Frank Baker

Season Prediction
    4th Pac-12 South
    Arizona has a tough schedule but have the unique opportunity to control their own destiny so to speak at one point or another in the second half of this season. With TCU (away), USC (home), and UCLA (away) on the first half of this year’s schedule, they could get out to a great start. Arizona may be in bad shape after the first part of the season and will have to rebound with tough matchups against Oregon (away), Utah (away), Oregon State (home) and Arizona State (home) still left on the docket. Of course, grabbing one of the four early-season matchups could be a big deal and could set the ‘Cats on a path to an eight-win season if they manage a quality win over either the Utes or Sun Devils in the second half. Expect a bowl game for Arizona, but it isn’t a given with questions on both sides of the line of scrimmage and with such a tough schedule.

• Like Like x 1