Season 9 (2019) - Scores

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Cheez, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Recchem - you've got the only game week 1 and it's the one you have been asking for. Good luck.

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

[​IMG][​IMG]

In the "Be Careful What You Wish For" Game, UCLA plays like crap in the 1st half but pulls out all the stops in the 2nd half, beat TCU 42-21. The lose snaps TCU's 40 game home win streak! This was game was a tale of 2 halfs...First half all TCU, lead at half time 14-0 and the Bruins could do nothing on offense. QB Gerren Wilson was pulled after his lack luster first half performance, which may have saved the game for the Bruins.

2nd half, in comes Bernard Russ to save the day. He throws for 3 TD's, no INT's and leads the Bruins on a furious 2nd half comeback, which included a 28 point 4th quarter! Russ gets the game ball for the save and the Bruins leave Texas with a win. A bye week to rest and contemplate who the hell should lead this team at quarterback this season!

UCLA Stats
    QB Bernard Russ 8/10 173 Yards, 3 TD, 0 INT's
    QB Gerren Wilson 4/14 48 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT's
    HB Arthur Lawson 14 Carries, 64 Yards
    HB Josh Battle 7 Carries, 49 Yards, 1 TD
    WR Jovon Johnson 3 Catches, 78 Yards, 1 TD
    WR Keith Swan 2 Catches, 40 Yards, 1 TD
    MLB Wade Coker 7 Tackles, 6 Solo, 2 TFL, 1 INT

3. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

MSU 65
    UGA 13

Michigan State dominated Georgia from start to finish with help from 3 QBs. Ryan Johnson left after the 1st quarter with a minor injury, freshman Nick Harris played the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and freshman Joe Brown played the 4th. All 3 looked great as they passed for over 400 yards, 5 TDs, and no picks. MSU still needs to cut down on sacks, but overall they looked good with 509 yards total offense. MSU played great defense also, allowing 13 points and scoring once on an interception.

Ryan Johnson (QB)- 8-15 for 86 yards, TD
    Nick Harris (QB)- 12-25 for 263 yards, 2 TD, rush TD
    Joe Brown (QB)- 3-4 for 83 yards, 2 TD
    Kevin Alexander (HB)- 8 carries for 84 yards, TD
    Lukas Adams (WR)- 5 receptions for 142 yards
    Jonathan Brown (WR)- 6 receptions for 86 yards, TD
    Glenn Fenner (WR)- 2 receptions for 67 yards, TD
    Josh Richards (WR)- 3 receptions for 46 yards, 2 TD
    Brad Johnson (FS)- 9 tackles, TFL, INT
    Kyler White (LB)- 8 tackles, 4 TFL, sack
    Eric Burns (CB)- 3 tackles, TFL, INT, TD

4. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

It was a real scare when Johnson went down. All I wanted was for him to stay healthy this season. Pretty relieving he was only out for the game

5. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

#9 Nebraska 38
    #4 Alabama 17

This game came down to big plays. Both teams played really well but in the end Nebraska's ability to make big plays proved to be the difference maker with 4 of their 5 scores coming on plays of 30 yards or more. Alabama did an excellent job defensivly of stopping the run and no Nebraska rusher cracked the 50 yard mark on the day, but Senior WR Bryan Larson had a career day with 230 yards and 2 touchdowns on the day. The long scores just kept momentum in Nebraska's favor and they held out for the W.

6. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

#16 Cal 23 @ #15 Arkansas 3

Cal gave up the first 3 points after the first Arkansas drive consumed nearly a full qtr of time, but the offense kept the Hogs guessing throughout the day and methodically put 23 points on the board. This was more than enough while the defense was piling up 2 turnovers, 3 sacks and only allowing 177 total yards.

Coach Jay was asked about his team's performance:

"We've never been about the gaudy numbers. We're about doing things better than our opponent and turning the high quality opportunities into points. Today that's exactly what you saw today. Its too early to say anything else. We'll find out over the next 2 weeks how good we can be. We will get right back to work."

7. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

WSU 24
    USC 30

WSU fought valiantly, but USC found the way to win this game. USC jumped out to a 17-3, but WSU began their comeback with a 99 yard kick off return by Heisman candidate, Matt Moore. In the second half, WSU pulled even with a 80 yard pick six by Peter Dahl. On USC's next possession USC's kicker, Anthony Hamliton kicked a fucking 60 yard field goal, giving the Trojans a 3 point lead. The three point lead held for pretty much the rest of the game. However, WSU was able to move the ball late in the game and took the lead with a 15 yard run by Matt Moore. However, the lead was short lived as USC's kickoff returnman broke a tackle and took the return all the way for the score, WSU tried to score, but went four and out and watched USC kick the FG as time expired.

8. Jayrah

9. Bucs

#8 UCLA 23
    #4 Nebraska 28

Nebraska sneaks away with the W in a very entertaining game against the Bruins. I don't have the stats in front of me so it will be mostly off of memory. We were evenly matched and back and forth most of the game with very good defense played on both sides. The QBs were playing pretty well too as both went over 300 yards I think. The difference in the game came down to 2 things though. Nebraska's defense was able to force multiple field goals when UCLA was in the redzone , if just one of those is a touchdown UCLA probably gets the victory. Nebraska's starting HB went down early and back up Adam Kemp had the worst 3 touchdown performance in the history of modern football. He would finish with 93 yards on 11 carries but most of those came from 2 big runs he had. Great Game recchem2000

10. Jayrah

MaxATX34 can do the write up on how this game went his way, but I would like to say that Cal is for real. Dominated and somehow lost this game.

On a seperate note, I think this game cheats for highly rated teams. 3 specific plays that woulda potentially changed the outcome went to him. Ran chest to chest into his qb with my best DT on a third down and long play and my guy acts like he's not even there, qb gets first down on 14 yard gain 2: My Wr jumps straight up to make a catch in the corner of the endzone, makes catch, warps oob for incompletion. 3: cb plays perfect coverage on endzone slants but when ball goes in the air my cb just stops on a dime and wr cuts through him to catch a pass.

On the flip side, its not all cpu I'm blaming for the loss. I had plays goes my way too. But I wish those warp plays were null and void from these games. It only happens to me vs high rated teams. But more importantly it ruins the game to a degree. I know its a game but shoot!

Also..... MaxATX34 what the heck are you feeding them boys!?!?!? You're fb is bigger than any of my lbs, safties are like super fast LBs and your LBs are like linemen on speed roids.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  11. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

QB Gray must have thought it was still Christmas handing out interceptions to keep ASU close. The first one was a pick 6 by CB Roberts. On the very next drive, Gray was picked off again. This time the Sun Devils were only held to a FG. But Gray would come back, helping set up a FG with some passes to Bailey for 15 and 21 yards. Noe the Sun Devils would give the ball away, leading to a Wildcat FG. After an ASU FG, Gray would orchestrate the 2 minute offense perfectly, going 6-6 while ending it with a Hall TD run. 13 all at the half.

In the third, Northwestern would kick a FG to go up by 3. Wanting to come back, ASU's Malone chunked up a deep pass off of PA, but it was picked by CB Coley. A 54 yard run by Hall would set up a 7 yard TD throw to Bailey. ASU really needed to respond now down by 10, but back to back sacks pushed them back and had to punt with 3:37 left. After a NU punt, Malone would be intercepted again; this time in the endzone. But the Wildcats dont have a really great grind it out offense, and elected to throw on 2nd. That pass was picked off, leading to a ASU TD. Score:23-20 with 1:33 left. An onside kick failed, and Hall (100 yards, 21 ATT) scored from 27 yards out. But the Sun Devils would not go away. The ensuing kickoff was taken back for a TD. But the 2nd onside kick also failed, and Northwestern has a 2-0 start in the season.

#16 Northwestern 30 - Arizona St 27

12. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

GG Jayrah. Cal is definitely for real but I have to respectfully disagree about the domination. This was a tight game for the most part, with both teams playing well in spurts (especially the OSU D who held the Bears scoreless in the 1st and 3rd quarters), but it hinged on a few big plays in my opinion. Cal was able to move the ball through the air and gained yardage in chunks on a couple of Eli Manning chuck-it-up-and-pray lobs, but the Bears werent able to score on any big plays. OSU's defense made them work for every score they got, whereas the Buckeye offense and Special Teams scored 2 of their 4 TD's on game-breaker type plays. One, a 99yd KR-TD in response to Cal's first TD of the game (2nd quarter) and the other was a 65yd TD pass. Also, Cal was not able to capitalize and really swing the momentum all the way in their favor after scoring last in the first half and getting the ball back. If the Bears would have been able to score on their opening drive (or perhaps at any time during the 3rd quarter) it would have given them the lead and enough "mojo" to propel them to a W. Instead, the Buckeye defense finally began to force some punts and the offense did just enough to win.

The buckeye rushing attack was squelched (save a few 1st down runs and 1 TD scamper from Freshman RB Sean Page - last year's #1 recruit), but Junior QB Kevin Hughes had an incredibly efficient game going 8/12 160yd 2TD 0INT and the aforementioned clutch 1st down scramble.

GG again

hahaha yea I really like the squad we have at Ohio State this year. Dont forget my DE's that go 6'8 and 6'5!

13. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

MSU 20
    ASU 14

Michigan St. came into the game vs. Arizona St. heavy favorites, but it looked like it could have been a trap game. Although MSU had the lead the whole game and led 17-7, they played way too cute at the end instead of just running out the clock. MSU kicked a FG to go up 13 with 1:38 left, but Arizona St. drove the field easily and scored with 0:40 left without using any timeouts. Coach Boom decided not to onside and kicked a squib kick, but the conservative call didn’t work out as MSU got a 1st down and ended it. People were surprised at how bad ASU’s offense looked on 1st and 2nd downs, but when it came to big play, they seemed to almost always come up big on offense and Michigan St.’s defense was on the field all day. Ryan Johnson passed for only 1 TD and was sacked 8 times by Arizona St. MSU sits at 3-0, but looks very shaky after this win, and ASU is now 0-3, but teams shouldn’t take them too easily after almost upsetting the #4 team at home.

MSU Stats
    Ryan JohnsoN (QB)- 18-31 for 238 yards, TD, INT, 16 carries for 30 yards
    Kevin Alexander (HB)- 9 carries for 93 yards, TD
    Lukas Adams (WR)- 6 receptions for 103 yards, TD
    Brad Johnson (FS)- 4 tackles, INT

ASU Stats
    Cory Malone (QB)- 13-25 for 260 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
    Tony Brown (HB)- 13 carries for 24 yards
    Drew Nolan (WR)- 3 receptions for 47 yards, TD
    Ashton Joseph (DE)- 10 tackles, 7 TFL, 5 sacks

14. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

MaxATX34
    What ever they put in the water up their in Moscow has Jayrah believing he should win every game and dominates them all :)

15. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

UCLA - 37
    WSU - 17

Going off memory for this one, but the Bruins get a little revenge in Pullman, defeating the Cougars after last years 28-14 lose at the Rose Bowl. This time around, it was the Bruins defense that forced turnovers. WSU QB fumbled twice and threw at least one pick while UCLA only turned the ball over once. A far cry from the 8 turnovers last season!

The turning point in the game probably was the late in the 2nd half with the score tied at 17, WSU's QB was hit while scrambling, fumbling the ball with just 20 seconds to go in the half, deep in Cougar territory. UCLA would capitalize, scoring a TD, taking a 7 point lead into half.

From there, the UCLA defense would continue to play well, shutting out the Cougars in the 2nd half.

gowazzucougs good game as always...sorry your wife is pissed but I did tell you we could play it tonight. Looks like we rushed for no reason anyways. Hope its not too bad but it could be the hormones talking :D I'll update the post with some player stats later tonight...no access from work.

Player Stats
    UCLA QB Bernard Russ 6/15 147 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
    WSU QB Andrew Jones 14/26 186 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT

UCLA HB Arthur Lawson 12 Carries, 81 Yards, 1 TD
    WSU HB James Patrick 11 Carries, 31 Yards, 1 TD

UCLA WR Ed Henry 2 Catches, 65 Yards
    WSU HB James Patrick 3 Catches, 57 Yards

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  16. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Great Game bucs...The 2 big runs up the middle you caught me in zone and I just missed the guy with my LB, which I do often. But the killer was settling for FG's in the red zone, and failing late in the 4th on 1st and goal inside the 5 yard line. Your D was the perfect bend but dont break :) Good luck against the big boys out there in the B1G!

17. Jayrah

Lol. Yeah thats football sometimes, big plays win a lot of games. If not for the 2 big plays I dominated according to the stats. 20-7 first downs, 8-12 on third down to 2-5 (both of which came on your final derive I think after my failed onside attempt), 374-251 total yards and 17:32-10:28 top.

That said, you made some very big plays that earned you the win. Im not disputing I should have lost, we just played well enough to win (which takes a dominating effort against your squad) and just couldnt finish a couple huge drives. My interception was just a horrendous decision. We were driving To tie or lead I think, and I had just been sacked as my wr was by himself for a first down I think. Tried to force that one and saw the S way too late. Also #54 (your olb i think) made back to back knockdowns that kept me out of your redzone late 1st half to hold me to 3 points. He's freaking huge and those wrs were wide open, so those were as big as any plays in the game imo.

You played a Great, smart, strong game, I'm not saying you didn't. No turnovers, and I was terrified of your kick return game. We've never looked strong vs OSU though and I really feel good about how we outplayed you in lots of aspects. Now we have to have back to back strong performances, which is also something we havent ever done, and beat Nebraska or my NC dreams are toast I think.

18. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Good game. Settling for field goals in the red zone came back to haunt me, not to mention that my TE is slow as molasses and should have scored on that play. I think the INT in the 3rd quarter was huge as I had started to move the ball a little, but I think that would have been a touchdown if you didn't switch to control the DB . I was surprised you threw the ball there at the end and it almost came back to haunt you :p

19. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I didn't figure to win this game, but I'm glad at least it was competitive. Your QB's scrambling ability caught me off guard and I just didn't have a response to it. You picked up a good number of 1st down with his ability to run. I was unable to run against you for the most part which led to a number of 3rd and long attempts. The upside is that I think my passing game is close to where I want it be.

20. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Really I could live with the kickoff return. What really burns me is the 60 yard field goal, but that is right we see 60 yard field goals all the time in college football. I don't know why I would be mad.

21. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Stanford 45
    Utah 0

Stanford completed the trifecta, achieving their 3rd straight shutout to start the season. Utah came close in the third quarter to scoring, but the 52 yard field goal bounced off the crossbar and harmlessly back to the turf. On the other side of the ball, Stanford had another field day rushing the football. Both Howell and Reese were over 100 yards once again for the Cardinal, with Reese getting over 200 for the first time this season. 5 different rushers would reach the endzone for the Cardinal, including sophomore QB Timothy Singletary who scored on a 11 yard option keeper and a QB Sneak.

Next week the Cardinal will try to make it four shutouts in a row against Arizona. This will be the first time the Cardinal have made the trip to the desert since they were upset 52-42 by the Wildcats two years ago. The Cardinal were #1 then as they are now, so the fans in the stand will be trying to resurrect feelings of deja vu.

22. Bucs

#14 Cal 24
    #3 Nebraska 27

Nebraska sneaks away with the victory against a Cal Squad that really outperformed them offensively. They threw for more yardage, ran for more yardage and had a better 3rd down conversion rate. They even blocked an XP which I knew was going to happen on the XP before when you got so close and meant to stagger my snap on the next one but forgot and you got me. The thing that kept Nebraska alive was big plays on the defensive side of the ball. They forced a fumble on the Cal RB sometime in the 1st half I think which was recovered near the 1 yard line and turned into a TD, and then later on returned an INT for a TD. Those plays proved to be the difference in the game. GG Jayrah

23. Jayrah

God dang it I am giving games away. That fumble was terrible. That int I didn't mean to throw it. Unbelievable. Time to run the Pac 12 table and have a showdown with Cheez.

24. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Michigan St. 44
    Penn State 27

Michigan St. looked awful in the 1st half and it all had to do with QB Ryan Johnson. Johnson was benched during halftime, after throwing 5 interceptions. MSU also was unable to stop the Penn State passing attack in the 1st half, but somehow managed to take a 26-21 halftime lead. Penn State opened the scoring in the 2nd half with a TD pass but missed on a 2-point conversion which made it a 1 point game and gave MSU some momentum. Penn State wouldn’t score after that and MSU looked better on offense behind QB Nick Harris who passed for 3 TD’s and more importantly no picks. I guess once you throw 1 or 2 picks with a guy, his confidence is pretty much shot. 2 or 3 of those INT’s weren’t even that bad of passes, but they seem to make nice catches when you’re QB is playing like garbage. MSU will need to figure out its QB situation before facing Stanford. Last time they played, Johnson started and only was able to score 10 points in a 13-10 loss.

Ryan Johnson (QB)- 16-34 for 228 yards, TD, 5 INT, 6 carries for 25 yards
    Nick Harris (QB)- 9-18 for 156 yards, 3 TD
    Kevin Alexander (HB)- 10 carries for 133 yards, TD
    Lukas Adams (WR)- 7 receptions for 105 yards
    Josh Richards (WR)- 3 receptions for 73 yards, TD
    Glenn Fenner (WR)- 3 receptions for 67 yards, TD
    Brad Johnson (FS)- 9 tackles, INT
    Shane Whitlock (SS)- 8 tackles, 3 TFL
    Charles Grigsby (CB)- 7 tackles, 2 INT

25. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Whew... Held on for dear life @UCLA and pulled out the W in a shootout. gg recchem2000 I'll try to get a write-up posted tomorrow. Its late here!