Season 9 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by bravejaf, Apr 1, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Week 1 is not up yet, just getting some threads created since I won't have much time this evening.

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

The streak is over! Nebraska wins 26-14 in Happy Valley!

Full recap later this afternoon when I have some time to kill at work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Congrats Hokie.

Sorry Hokie, but it was a HELL of a run man!

4. Bl0ndeRedHead

#10 Nebraska - 26
    #1 Penn State - 14

Nebraska managed to hold off a Penn State rally late in the game, and overcome the injury bug (yet again) when Ryan and McKenzie were both knocked out of the game (McKenzie for the next couple months). Before being injured, McKenzie was able to put up 130 yards rushing and a TD, and Ryan was able to add 121 passing yards, 27 rushing yards, and a TD before his injury. Penn State went to the air early and often, and QB Ahmad Jones was able to put up 366 passing yards, but he threw 4 INTs, which cost the Nittany Lions a chance at the victory.

Nebraska started the game with the ball, and managed to get downfield quite easily with the running game, but stalled in the red zone and settled for a field goal. Jones got off to a terrible start, throwing an INT in Penn State territory to start the game for the Nittany Lions. Nebraska got a big 3rd down conversion, then Justin Ryan found James Ray for a 24 yard touchdown to put the Huskers up 10-0. Penn State would immediately hit the no huddle, shotgun offense and drive the length of the field rather quickly to get a touchdown from Jones to R.J. Johnson early in the 2nd quarter. But after that drive, the half ended ugly for Jones, who threw 2 more INTs before the end of the quarter, including one in the red zone. But fortunately, the Penn State defense held the Huskers to 2 field goals off the INTs, and Nebraska only had a 16-7 lead heading into the 3rd quarter.

Both teams defenses would come out red hot to start the 3rd quarter, with neither team able to move the ball until Penn State put a drive together to end the 3rd with a FB dive for a TD. Heading into the 4th, Nebraska was without QB Justin Ryan. Instead of leaning on the run, however, the Huskers went to the air with backup Marcus Walker leading the offense down the field. In desperate need of a touchdown to extend the lead to 2 scores, Nebraska got a huge 27 yard touchdown run off a draw play from Roland McKenzie to give the Huskers a 23-14 lead. Penn State would answer with what looked to be a touchdown drive, until Jones threw his 4th INT and the Huskers were able to run the ball until there was just under a minute left before kicking a field goal. With a couple timeouts and a minute left, Penn State needed a miracle. Instead, they were unable to get in the end zone, turning the ball over on downs at the Nebraska 2 yard line.

Nebraska has one game in the next 3 weeks, so that should give some injured guys the chance to rest before a huge conference schedule begins.

GG Hokie

5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

At least your byes aren't back to back this year. :)

I actually went through and made sure no one had consecutive bye weeks.

Anyways nice win and great recap. You still gotta win 4-5 more user games to get back in the title game. Whoever wins it all this year will have to earn their place in the championship.

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 22
    Oklahoma 17

The defenses held strong in this game, while both offensive units struggled. Ohio State would stop Oklahoma on the opening drive and OSU's offense moved the ball fairly well to start the game. After crossing the 50 Oklahoma clamped down and the Buckeyes had to settle for a field goal. The 3-0 lead did not make it to the second quarter. Oklahoma's QB Zach Jones passed for a TD to WR Jovan Goodman. Not much happened till the end of the second quarter. The Buckeyes added a field goal and on the ensuing drive Oklahoma threw a pick. This led to a touchdown by backup HB Evan Bennett. Despite leaving only 27 seconds on the clock, Oklahoma got the lead back before half. Jones found Goodman again for the score. This put Oklahoma up 14-13 with OSU receiving the kick.

To open the half OSU moved the ball down the field, but again settled for a field goal. This one took all over kicker's DeShawn Williamson's leg power. He nailed the kick from 59 yards out, a personal best. This gave OSU a 16-14 lead going into the fourth quarter. Oklahoma put together a very long drive, consisting of 17 plays, and kicked a field goal with under 2 minutes left. OSU had 1 minute 48 seconds to get at least a field goal. A few plays later OSU was positioned to kick the field goal, but Jesse Parker broke free on a HB dive. He went 28 yards for the game winning TD with just 10 seconds left. This put OSU up 5 after a missed 2 point conversion. Oklahoma's prayers went unheard and OSU left Norman with the victory.

@Twister18 - great game, was a lot of fun

Player of the Game: Jesse Parker 8 carries 46 yards 1 TD; 4 receptions 62 yards (missed 2nd and 3rd quarter with an injury)

7. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

#22 Washington St. - 0
    Clemson - 31

The Clemson Tigers and their new head coach welcomed #22 Washinton St. into Death Valley today to kick off the 2018 season. It was a day of football dominated by the Tiger defense. The "D" was led by DT Kevin Mason with 5 solo tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery. On the day, the rowdy Tiger "D" collected 5 turnovers, 3 fumbles and 2 picks. One fumble recovery occured on a botched option play and was taken to the house by ROLB Travis Smith.

On the other side of the ball for Clemson, the "O" accumulated 154 rushing yards and 149 passing yards that led to 3 touchdowns. On the day, HB's Jeremy Thurman and Michael Stewart carried most of the load. Thurman racked up 72 yards on 16 carries while Stewart ran for 82 yards on just 8 carries while scoring all three Tiger offensive touchdowns.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Nice win clay

9. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

If it could go wrong it went wrong in this game. Open dropping passes, fumbles. IT was just horrible. good game Clay

10. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

GG Blonde, you played a great bend but don't break D. I was able to move the ball fairly easily most of the time, but every time I reached the red zone, pick. A couple keys drops didn't help either, but you cover alot of ground over the middle. I would even say you have the best stick play with user picks. But like they say if your gonna lose, lose early and the streak stops at 73. Hopefully the target is off my back now. I shouldn't drop too many spots and with all the user games this season no one is out of it yet....

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 35
    Washington State 0

The game was closer than the score indicates. Ohio State didn't get on the board till 2 minutes into the second quarter. QB Chris Ford hit WR Wesley Burgess for a short TD to get the lead. Washington State got the ball back and drove down the field, but a missed field goal cost the Cougar a shot at points. A few plays later Ohio State showed off its deep passing game. Ford to Burgess was the combination, but this one was 59 yards (all in the air). The 14-0 lead and ball at halftime gave OSU a comfortable lead going into half, but the coaches knew the game was far from over.

On the opening drive after halftime, the Buckeyes continued to move the ball. Ford threw for another TD, this time a screen pass to HB #2 Evan Bennett. The spry tailback did all the work as he hurdled and juked Washington State's defenders. A pair of interceptions in the third quarter helped OSU put this game away. The biggest defensive play of the game was a pick six by defensive end Jeff Lilly. He read a screen and made the leaping grab.

The game ball goes to Chris Ford for his perfect performance. He was 10-10 for 185 yards with 3 touchdowns. Burgess led the way with 4 catches 81 yards and the 2 touchdowns.

@gowazzucougs - good game man, you had some tough breaks and the roster talent differential was huge

Second Quarter
    04:57 TD Ohio State Wesley Burgess WR #85 7 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    00:39 TD Ohio State Wesley Burgess WR #85 59 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    Third Quarter
    04:28 TD Ohio State Evan Bennett HB #43 41 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    03:19 TD Ohio State Jesse Parker HB #47 17 yard rush
    01:45 TD Ohio State Jeff Lilly LE #90 23 yard interception

12. gowazzucougs

I can't decide what was your best play, I have a feeling the screen play was the play of the game. Everyone should check the dynasty wire, it was truly an amazing play. I just hope I can score against Oregon, because I may be leaving this dynasty earlier than expect if things don't turn around.

13. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

#5 Notre Dame 31
    #21 Clemson 35

Wow...what a fun and unbelievable game!!! Clemson was down 31 - 14 at the half but played much better D in the second half and got a few breaks. ND QB went 27-31 on the day and was pretty much robo QB all game long. However, the Tigers found a way to defeat their second ranked team this year. The big break came early in 4th when it looked as if ND was going to go up agin by three scores when they fumble it into their own endzone. The ensuing drive cut the Fighting Irish lead down to 3 points in the middle of the 4th.

ND went three and out on their next possession and the Tigers looked poised to take the lead. Clemson drove all the way down the field late in the forth only to fumble inside the 10 yard line with less than two minuets on the clock and only 2 timeouts. The Tigers got the ball back via punt from ND with under 50 seconds to go in the game. Then the Tiger Rag magic began. (LOL) Clemson marched right down the field and on a 2nd and 10 with under 25 seconds to play and no timeouts left, QB Jake Gardner finally threw a spiral and it found WR Andrew Fuller in the endzone for the winning score.

QB Jake Gardner 24-50 369yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
    HB J. Thurman 17-107 1 TD; Recieving 3-40
    HB M. Stewart 10-37 2 TD
    WR Andrew Fuller 8-186 2 TD
    WR J. Reed 5-78

14. vBIG SLICKv

#7 LSU - 7
    #10 Texas - 38

Texas sent the Bayou Bengals packing back to Baton Rouge with a loss. The Longhorns played solid on both sides of the ball. On offense QB Wright managed the game well throwing 19/25 for 278yrds with 1td and 0 ints. The Horns coaching staff spent extra time with Wright during last weeks bye week going over protecting the ball after his 4int performance against Minnesota. The running game churned out 169yrds on the ground as Coach Slick tries to keep his offensive balanced. There may be a running back battle brewing between Soph Bell and JR(RS) Bishop. Bell got the lion's share of carries with 20 for 82 yrds and a td, but Bishop made the most of his 8 carries going for 79 yrds and 2 tds. Bell has the speed at 95, but lacks ability to break tackles and fumbles. Bishop is more of a power back with only 87spd, but has 95 break tackle and 89 trucking. With the Longhorns going into another bye in week 4, hopefully, this will be worked out before their week 5 matchup against OU.

15. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Penn State- 56
    Oklahoma- 17

Penn State finaly decided to show up this season and took out their frustrations on Oklahoma. 6 Sooner turnovers and an injured QB later, the Nittany Lions were able to build a huge lead and never look back. Jones threw for 231yds 3 TD. RB Larsen had a big day with 124yds 3 TD on the ground and 42yds 2 TD recieving. GG Twist, just some bad luck i guess....

16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Ohio State 30
    Oklahoma State 14

On the opening drive the Cowboys drove the field thanks to the ground game, led by HB Courtney Dykes. Dykes did most of the heavy lifting but QB Charles Rhodes got the rushing TD to put Oklahoma State up 7-0. The Buckeyes answered back with a long drive but had to settle for a field goal. Both teams ate up a lot of clock on their opening drives so the second quarter started off shortly into Oklahoma State's second drive. This time Ohio State was able to make a crucial 3rd down stop and force a punt. The Buckeyes again drove the field and this drive ended in a TD. Chris Ford found Wesley Burgess on a slant for the 15 yard TD. After another defensive stop, Ohio State got the ball back. This time Ford showed off his arm strength and Burgess showed off his speed. The end result was a 68 yard TD (about 60 in the air). Things went from bad to worse, as Oklahoma State fumbled the ensuing kick. The ball was scooped up by Ohio State's linebacker Jeff Seals and he returned it for a touchdown. This play devastated the Cowboys' morale and they just weren't the same team after half time.

Ohio State's run game dominated the second half, despite starter Jesse Parker leaving in the second quarter. Evan Bennett managed 85 yards on 14 carries. All together Ohio State managed 170 yards on the ground in this game, while passing for 168 yards. The offense didn't put any more touchdowns on the scoreboard, but added a couple field goals. More importantly the offense kept Oklahoma State off the field. Time of possession for the game was fairly even, but the Buckeyes controlled the ball for most of the second half. Oklahoma State did punch in a short TD in the fourth quarter to cut the lead to 13, but never got any closer. HB Dykes had a solid game but his blockers appeared to tire as the game went on. He finished with 120 yards on 24 carries. Oklahoma State QB Charles Rhodes struggled in this game as he finished 6-11 with 0 TD/2 INT. On the other side Ford had a near perfect game, finishing 6-8 for 168 yards 2 TD/0 INT. He has completed 16-18 passes in his last 2 games with a 5/0 ratio.

@Jman - good game, that kick return fumble was very bad luck for your squad

First Quarter
    04:38 TD Oklahoma State Charles Rhodes QB #15 11 yard rush
    00:15 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 25 yard field goal
    Second Quarter
    03:19 TD Ohio State Wesley Burgess WR #85 15 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    01:35 TD Ohio State Wesley Burgess WR #85 68 yard pass from Chris Ford QB #1
    01:28 TD Ohio State Jeff Seals ROLB #98 19 yard fumble
    Third Quarter
    01:43 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 18 yard field goal
    Forth Quarter
    04:22 TD Oklahoma State Matt Concepcion HB #26 3 yard rush
    01:56 FG Ohio State DeShawn Williamson K #18 49 yard field goal

17. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

That TD pass that put ya up 21-3 should have been 6 the other way. No way I missed that. AND that KO fumble was pull Bullshit. Then it snowballed from there. That was the closest I even came to not finishing a game and putting the disc into the shredder. Nothing you did Hokie, just my luck.

18. Bl0ndeRedHead

Nebraska - 38
    Florida - 25

Nebraska takes care of #22 Florida, but the injury curse continues as QB Justin Ryan tore his abdominal muscle and will be out 7 weeks. So once again, Nebraska will be forced to face the bulk of their user games without our two best offensive players, Ryan and McKenzie. Backup Marcus Walker threw for 4 TDs as the Huskers beat Florida with ease, as the Gators got a late TD to bring it closer

19. vBIG SLICKv

#7 Texas - 28
    #16 Oklahoma - 14

Texas opens up conference play with a victory against Oklahoma. The Horns used a 2nd qtr outburst to get the win. OU scored first with a great drive down the field in the 1st qtr to go up 7-0 on 3 yrd rush by HB Smith. Texas would respond in a big way in the 2nd qtr. HB Bishop would break a gang tackle of 5 sooners and sprint 32 yrds for the TD to tie the game at 7. On OU's next poss the Longhorns would get a int in OU territory and turn it into a TD on another 42 yrd rush by HB Bishop to go up 14-7. The Longhorns would hold OU to a punt and move the ball back down the field to grab another TD on a 2 yrd rush by FB Carey to take a halftime lead of 21-7. The 2nd half would see both teams defenses step. Texas was able to score on a 18 yrd TD pass from Wright to Malone to move ahead 28-7 and hold OU scoreless in the 3rd. OU would keep Texas out of the endzone in the 4th, but were only able to get on TD of their own on a 7yrd pass to TE Henry.

Good game Twist. Your getting some bad breaks this season with the injuries.

20. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

#17 Clemson 42
    NC State 14

The Clemson Tigers got their first conference win today in Raliegh, NC. It was a balanced attack throughout the day, 230 yards through the air and 229 yards on the ground. The win today for the 17th ranked Tigers puts their record at 3-0. With 7 straight conference games coming up without a break, Clemson hopes to keep their winning streak on a roll.

On the recruiting front, the Tigers have yet to recieve a commit but are working their boards hard. Hopefully, winning will cure this and help the Tigers rebuilding efforts.

21. Twister18

Very good game Slick. I now have lost my starting QB for 8 more weeks and my starting HB for the season. I finally have my MLB back but still without my FB for 4 more weeks. Just one of those years.

22. Bl0ndeRedHead

Sounds like one of my years lol

Our matchup should be fun, nobody has their starting QB or HB

23. gowazzucougs

WSU 37
    Oregon 3

After not scoring a single point in the first two games of the year, the Cougar offense got on track against the Ducks. Antwon Brady ran over the Oregon Ducks rushing for 268 yards and scoring 1 TD. That one TD was quite impressive as he scored on a 89 yard TD run. Drew Webb was sold as well throwing 9-11-146 yards and 1 TD.

WSU 25
    CAL 14

WSU used a dominating second quarter scoring 28 unanswered points as WSU defeated the CAL Golden Bears. The first score of the game was a 21 yard TD run by Drew Webb. Then on the next series for the Bears MLB Phillip Kendrick intercepted a pass and took it 32 yards for the score. At that moment the Cougars' Coach knew this game was going to go well. WSU added two more scores in the quarter and cruised the rest of the way. The bad news from this game was that Antwon Brady, the stud running back for the Cougs got injured is out for three weeks.

WSU 28
    Arizona 10

WSU faced a feisty Wildcats squad that refused to go away. On the Cougars opening drive HB Jimmy Schneider scored on a four yard run, then the offense stalled for most of the first half. Luckily for the Cougs they were able to score on a Webb to Ray Walker 22 yard TD pass to take a 14-7 lead at half. In the second half the Wildcats were able to pull within four points and when momentum appeared to be shifting towards the Wildcats. Webb would lead the Cougars down the field and find Walker for a 27 yard TD pass giving the Cougs a commanding 11 point lead. The Cougs would score again with a 15 yard run by Drew Webb sealing a 28-10 to victory.

24. Twister18

Take away my starting RB as well. LOL

25. Bl0ndeRedHead

#4 Nebraska - 17
    #22 Oklahoma - 9

In a tough, hard fought defensive battle, the Huskers came away on top despite two interceptions from Marcus Walker. This was thanks to the Nebraska defense, which held the Sooner offense out of the end zone. Oklahoma's offense was only able to get 175 yards, although Nebraska didn't fare much better. Neither team had a 100 yard rusher or 200 yard passer, and the defenses really established the tone.

In the first, Oklahoma went to the ground game early, and took up a huge chunk of the quarter on their first drive, which ended with a field goal after a defensive stand by the Huskers. Nebraska would respond very quickly with an 85 yard touchdown pass from Walker to Steve Johnson less than a minute later. The only other score of the half was another Nebraska touchdown, this time on the ground. The Huskers managed to pick off a pass in the end zone with little time remaining in the half to keep the Sooners to 3 first half points.

However, Oklahoma played well in the third, picking off Walker on the opening drive. But they still could not manage to find the end zone, settling for two field goals in the quarter to cut it to a 14-9 Nebraska lead entering the final quarter. Nebraska took over half the quarter on their drive, settling for a field goal to bump the lead to 8 points. The Sooners took the field with a few minutes left and quickly started moving it downfield. But a huge interception just outside the red zone ended almost all hope for the Sooners. Nebraska got a few first downs on the ground and put the game away.