Season 9 - Recruiting Discussion

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by recchem2000, Feb 6, 2013.

1. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Talk it up...Arky has been hit with sanctions and can only recruit from the state of Alaska and South Dakota :)

2. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Good thing too, because they are #1 interest school for just about every recruit that matters :mad:

3. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Theres so many 5 stars this year. I have too many people on my board. Thats not a good thing as they are scoutless in Seattle. lol.

4. Wyrmreaver

recchem2000

are we still worried about 5* recruiting limits? Seems to me with busts and gems we shouldn't be, but as SA said above, there are a ton of 5* players this year and I don't want to oversign those guys when I could just track down talented 4* guys that are just as good as the season progresses.

5. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Firstly we should not change the rules mid season.

Even though 4stars often end up better than 5stars I think it adds a meta game to recruiting. One that helps the non-six star programs. I would have a much much much better team if I was not ignoring most of the 5 star players.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. Wyrmreaver

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. You would have a worse team. You sign basically all players 78+ OVR and most of the 5* players I see are that level or lower. It's not as if you are out there settling for 72 OVR guys......

7. Wyrmreaver

Also, I was only mentioning it because it has come up in conversation all of once in 9 seasons. I dont think I have signed more than 1 or 2 in any year. I had 1 last season. This season there just seems to be more of them. I wasnt even thinking about it until satansangel mentioned it, then I realized I am targeting a lot of them right now, more than the 5 or 6 I would be allowed to sign this year..... I think it's 6 between this season and next, so I could conceivably sign 6 and then just get all 4* and below next year

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Lets just keep the rule whether it works or not. We police ourselves here pretty well so I think the rule is fine.

9. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I signed over 40% of my recruits last year under 78.

I think that because I scout fewer 5star players they often come out behind my more heavily scouted 4star players. Since I can only sign 3 or so a year, I scout far fewer 5star players, and its just luck if those 5 star guys end up being busts. I also often offer them early to get instant commits before fully scouting so I can allocate my recruiting hours over more players.

I assume that players that start more highly rated will end up more highly rated on average. If I increase my scouting of 5star players to 10 players a year instead of 3-6, I would probably find better players in those 4-7 scouting attempts than I do in the 4star player pool. Having the option of signing unlimited 5 stars would increase the player pool I have to draw from.

I frequently pass on 78-82 overall players that like me #1 without even scouting them. I could also save about 6 hours in recruiting by scouting 5star Olinemen before 4star guys. I usually burn 6-10 hours of scouting looking for O-line gems in 4stars while ignoring 5 star players.

10. Wyrmreaver

I see all of your points.... but I am saying that you aren't missing much with 5* players. Having played a ton of offline seasons I can tell you that 5* players, especially those rated 80+ before scouting, are almost always busts. In fact, the highest recruit (non punter/kicker) i've seen after scouting is an 82, which I've seen a few times, but there are always a few 5* guys that are projected higher than that, so they are automatically not going to be as good as they seem.

11. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Speaking of :5stars:'s, LSU gets an insta from #1 DE Andrews out of Texas. He's projected 82 OVR (+2) after 78% scouted with 87 FMV and 83 ACC and STR.

12. Wyrmreaver

Yeah..... I was hoping that wouldn't happen..... I was ready to battle you for him!

13. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Hometown Hero and #2 FS White has committed. 6'4" 218, 75 before scouting. Couldn't pass up a College Station Kid and he committed immediately

1 down, 7 to go

14. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I don;t know how it happened but I lost a recruit I wanted to Iowa.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MexiRican35

[​IMG]

I lost the same guy. And its looking like a bad class for TE's.

16. MexiRican35

Adding to the collection of :5stars:'s, ATH Hamilton instas to LSU. The #8 player in the land, he has great SPD with 95 and AGI 91. He can line up out wide or in the backfield. But with the influx of HB's, he'll probably suit up at WR.

17. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

FSU recruiting update
    Will sign:
    #7 DTKirk Rich 9 (+4). He should be on the field as a true freshman, if not starting (sadly)
    #4 SS Mark Merrick 77 (+2). Good hart-hitting safety, not great with coverage skills.
    #15 OLB Tommy Daniel 77 (+6). He is a gem at 3-stars and a great tackler.
    #7 TE Nick Campell 75 (+2 50%). FSU needs a TE but doesn't use one. Good catching skills and based on his pass block rating he may see time at HB later.
    #15 SS Michael Goode 75 (+3). FSU solidifies their secondary and adds speed.

Looking at:
    #1 G Jeff Martinez. Good pass blocker and fight between UF, FSU, and Clemson. Fairview Shore, FL
    #2 CB Nick Martinez. FSU has a slight edge over UNC and UConn. 5 star CB. Hollywood, FL
    #5 OLB Mike Landrum. Auburn has an edge over FSU now. Sarasota, FL
    #7 OLB Demetrius Fletcher. Fight between Auburn and FSU for this guy....theme insues. Bradenton, FL
    #6 G Nelson Robinson. FSU has a slight edge over Miami. Good pass blocker. Largo, FL
    #15 WR Travis Lee. Auburn has a slight lead over Illinois, UConn, FSU, and Duke. 4 scholarships offered. Rockledge, FL

And that's about who we've offered scholarship to. 12 schollies, we need a TE, and 5 LBs...or fire the DC and go back to 4-3. And recchem2000 I hope to win all these wars in Florida :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  18. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Kapono
    I lose more in recruiting than I win so the odds are in your favor!

19. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Haha yeah I realized there were 4 guys of my main 11 that you in their top 3. I also I having an extremely lucky year with recruiting, most were gems and most were +3 or 4 or something

20. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

You've become a recruiting power. What happened?

21. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Miami Inks Three

Ryan Seward, DE (#14) :4stars:
    Ryan is quite stocky, but has a good skill set. Questions about his athleticism remain, but Miami coaches liked enough to give him a scholarship.

Chad Carter, HB (#20) :4stars:
    Chad fills a position of need for the Canes. He brings above average athleticism and good skill set, though nothing stands out.

Jonathan Myers, TE (#14) :3stars:
    Miami strikes gold once again at the TE position. Jonathan was a middle of the road recruit according to Rivals, but has good hands and blocking ability to go along with good size and athleticism for the position.

22. Wyrmreaver

Mizzou gets more commits to add to the #1 QB prospect......

:5stars: ATH Charlie Moyer - Big time speed, looks like a corner or FS, though given team needs he could even end up at HB​
    :4stars: ATH Mark Tremblay - Almost certainly a WR​
    :4stars: K Tommy Miller - We needed a kicker...... he's a kicker​
    :4stars: G Austin Johnson - Excellent player, a gem​
    :4stars: DE Brian Smith - We thought we missed out when the #1 DE signed at LSU...... looking at this kid, maybe not ​

23. Wyrmreaver

recchem2000

you soft committed that WR in the same week I gained 1300 points and had an A+ visit...... I will now bow out and let that rural Idaho kid go to Auburn, where my secondary will kill him once a year

:p

• Like Like x 1
  24. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I cheat :)

No I just finally figured out what the hell I was doing.

25. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

You signed that one DT? I think. If u didnt get him last week I think I wouldve overtook you after my visit or next week.