Season Five Recruiting Trail

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

The Bonus List for Season Five - Week 9 Update

Region/Conference Name Pos Caliber State Leader
    West Patrick Muhammed WR :5stars: CA Washington (Signed)
    East Wallace Graves ATH :5stars: Ill South Carolina (Signed)
    Pac12 Andre Garret OT :4stars: CA FSU (Signed)
    B1G Darren Jackson DE :4stars: OH Ohio State (Signed)
    At-large Andrew Matthews OT :4stars: TX Florida (Signed)
    At-large Stephen Daniels OLB :4stars: PA South Carolina (Signed)
    At-large Tommy McNeal WR :4stars: Ill Notre Dame (Signed)
    At-Large Beau Grant OLB :4stars: AL FSU (Signed)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. The Dude

Looks like the CPU Florida schools are cleaning up on our bonus guys, and it looks like Goose might steal my one shot at a guy in week 7. Man I need that sixth star :mad:

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Some of those guys never looked back once they got the offers from FSU and the Gaytors. I am trying to lock down Graves and I think I have him just about there. I also got a soft commit from one of my 4 star targets.

4. Goose

Goose Walk On

I really loved it when you had your visit in week 4 and I didn't fall too far off. I figured you'd have him sign by the week of week 6 and I wouldn't get him.

5. The Dude

Road games weeks 5,6,7 meant I couldn't get him in until week 8, and I knew that would be too late. Had to pull the trigger. Now, if he soft commits before your visit, it's a toss-up. If he doesn't, my guess is he goes to Columbus.

6. The Dude

Notre Dame Recruiting Report - Week 6

Week 6.PNG

The early report on the Notre Dame recruiting focus for this season was that they needed to address some issues in the defensive secondary. While the Irish have a pretty good crop of corners at the moment, three of them will graduate this year, and two of the three remaining are freshmen, leaving only a single upperclassman in next year's depth chart.

Corners.PNG

With three of the top four leaving for sure, addressing the cornerback position became the first order of business in South Bend. With the addition of Fred Ramsey and Freddie Greer (already nicknamed "Fred Squared" by their teammates), from Ohio and Indiana, respectively, the Irish have done just that. However, they may not stop there. Notre Dame might just dedicate a number of it high value scholarships to defensive backs, as it appears they will soon sign Michigan native Eric Talley, giving the Domer defense three of the top pass defenders in the nation to build around.

Also, it looks like Notre Dame has made the offensive line a priority, signing top 150 guard Adam Ferguson and fellow four star o-lineman Justin Lyles, and they appear to be close to signing the #10 offensive tackle, James McGill out of Ohio.

McGill-Talley.PNG

Overall, the Irish will likely be deep at the safety positions, and not so deep at linebacker and corner. The D-line is deep all over, and they're playing well yet again this year. With Coach Dude's new focus on defensive speed, look for upperclassmen to shift positions in order to get the best athletes at every position. Guys who are strong safeties may become outside backers. Guys playing free safety could find themselves in corner or nickelback spots next year. Whatever happens, look for the Irish to fly around with a lot more speed next season, and to pound the rock behind some quality O-Line play.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. The Dude

McNeal Signs - Irish Celebrate

In a surprise move, top recruit Tommy McNeal decided to forego the rest of the recruiting process and sign with Notre Dame. The move surprised a number of schools, including Notre Dame, Iowa, and Ohio State, who surely didn't expect him to make a decision quite so soon. While it is normal for a recruit to sign suddenly when first offered a scholarship, or sometimes when visiting, it is uncommon for a recruit to skip the soft commit process and commit fully in a week when the coach only managed a phone call to recruit him. Without a visit, and without a soft commit the previous week, McNeal signed on the dotted line, making Coach Dude one happy guy. "I thought for sure we'd lose him if he got to Columbus next week," he said, and then he went back to his beverage.

McNeal.PNG

McNeal has decent size, weighs a reasonable 190 lbs, and still maintains decent speed and agility. However, the real value is in the intangibles - while the catch skills could be a little better on the simple routes, McNeal will make a number of spectacular plays, snagging balls few other receivers of his experience can. McNeal is good with the ball in his hands, runs great routes, and the size/speed combination makes him hard to jam at the line. He may have to get over some nagging injury issues early on, but if the Irish can redshirt him so he can work on his stamina and his catch skills, Tommy McNeal might just be the next Irish receiver people compare to the likes of Tim Brown and Rocket Ismail. Time will tell.

8. The Dude

Welcome to Columbus, young man.

Dj - bonus.PNG

Ohio native and #4 DE prospect Darren Jackson signed with Ohio State today, soon after hearing the news of the hiring of new head coach Urban Meyer (more on the hire later). Jackson could possibly make the two-deep next season, but he's got some serious pro prospects ahead of him at the moment. We'll have to see what kind of impression he makes in camp, but he's sure to be a good one at some point.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

South Carolina locked down it's secondary for the immediate future with signings today
    Three cornerbacks have given their commitment to coach Easy today, and the Cock's coach couldn't be happier. "These three young men will help lock down our secondary for the foreseeable future. With the rise of LSU coming, and their Air Raid philosophy we felt it was important to focus on improving the defensive backfield. These signings do that."​
    The three newest memebers of the roost are:​
    (****) CB Kevin Jackson​
    (****) CB Jason Williams​
    (***) CB Teddy Woods​
    Jackson and Williams are obviously highly touted prospects, but Coach Easy was just as excited about Teddy Woods "We feel Woods will benefit from joining our program. We have some of the best strength and conditioning folks in the buisness and it won't be long before this boy is able to lock em down for us."​
    Big day in Columbia.​

10. The Dude

After a few years of this, I'm starting to think that good corners might be the most important thing in the game, especially against the CPU. Good D-line, good corners = good defense. Nice pickups.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Cocks Go Off in Week 9
    NCAA Football 12 Online Dynasty - Recruiting.png
    With these signings the Gamecocks have locked up most of their recruiting class for this year. There are only a few scholarships left to give. Currently the Cocks sit at 1-6-1 with 2 bonus recruits. Look for another 4 star DE to commit soon to round out this stellar class.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

In week 10 the Gamecocks are proud to announce the signing of 4 star DE Wallace Graves. Wallace rounds out the Gamecocks 4 star recruiting allotments. The team currently stands at 2-8-1 with 4 scholarships left.

13. The Dude

And it looks like the bonus list is complete. Users grabbed half the guys, and the CPU got the other half.

14. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

What's the new plan for the bonus recruits?

15. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Switched it up a bit, each user conference will have a bonus guy as long as the conference has at least 3 users, which is the highest ranked 4-star in the conference's footprint There is an East and West bonus recruit, we designate which Big 10 teams go to the East and which ones go to the West. "Regional" bonus guys are the highest ranked 5-star in the region. Finally there are 4 "At-Large" bonus recruits, which are the 4 highest 4-stars with a ranking ending in a multiple of 5. So this year, the lowest ranked 5-star was Scott Bowers at 30, so the 4 At-Large bonus guys started at 35. Andrew Matthews was 35, Stephen Daniels was 40, Tommy McNeal was 45, and Beau Gant was 50.

There were 4 Pac 12 users to start the season, so the highest ranked 4-star in the Pac 12 footprint this year was #37, Andre Garrett. The Big 10 had 3 users, so their bonus guy was ##39 Darren Jackson. We didn't have enough guys in the SEC, so they didn't have one this year, but will next year. With just me and ego in the Pac 12, we won't have a conference bonus guy next year unless we get a Pac 12 user to join.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Goose

Goose Walk On

There are (2) 5* Bonus guys, 1 for east of the Mississippi and 1 for the West.

Each conference that has over 3 users gets a conference bonus 4*

Then there are (4) actual bonus 4* guys that anyone can grab if they can.

I know there are some regulations for how a bonus guy is chosen. carolinaeasy can you update Brog on this?

17. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I just added him to the original conversation so he can read it for himself. The revised description at the end is what is implemented.

18. The Dude

Notre Dame Recruiting Report - Week 14

Week 14.PNG

Week 14 - 2.PNG

With 19 seniors graduating from a 69 man roster, and the NCAA limits allowing the Irish to sign 22 new players this year, it's gong to be a big class, it seems. Notre Dame has already signed 16, and has soft commits from 2 more, so they appear to be on their way to hitting that 22 man number, though it'll likely take a few weeks of recruiting in the off-season to round it out.

(Note: 4 star DE Michael Drew was signed by the CPU, and is my ninth 4 star. Tommy McNeal is a bonus, so I have have 8. Drew is technically an oversign, even though I didn't sign him. I can cut him to keep the numbers right, if that is what the groupthinks I ought to do.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.