Season in Review

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by astealthyhippo, Dec 2, 2009.

1. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Oct 14, 2009
    Season in Review

Now that the season is almost all the way in the books, I figured we could take a look back on the '09 season. You can share thoughts, stats, etc whatever you feel like.

Best game: vs Cal. I won this 38-35. I was down late and hit Decker on a fly route for the score, then held the Cal offense to seal the game.

Worst game: @ Penn state...I was up 30-28 before giving up 31 unanswered points in the 4th to lose 30-59.

Offensive player of the year: Duane Bennett: 189 rushing attempts, 976 rushing yards, 8TD, 8 catches, 119 yards, 1 TD

He was hurt for the majority of 2 games, and sat out another 4 games with an injury. For playing half a season, Bennett carried the team to victory when he was healthy.
    Defensive player of the year: Kyle Theret: 86 tackles, 12 TFL, 2 Int, 1 Fumble Recovery

Not flashy numbers, but this guy was all over the field.

Regrets: Not benching Adam Weber sooner. MarQueis Gray has been a solid quarterback despite being a true freshman. He was pretty rattled in away games and has poor accuracy, but I have will lean on him for the next 2-3 years.

Season thoughts: Overall very positive. I had some close games and some that were never in doubt. I feel like if a few plays happened differently I could have won vs Emmdot and vs Penn State, but 10-2 is better than I expected. I was pleased with my running backs despite their average ratings, and my defense was better than expected. I am saddened that we will lose Eric Decker since he was the only WR I could count on to catch nearly every pass I threw him. I enjoyed my user games this year vs Bondzai and Emmdot and am excited for next year's matchups.
  2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Sep 13, 2009
    Good idea hippo.

Texas A&M

Best game: vs Oklahoma. This was the game that showed the Aggies were for real. We went on the road, and used the new option running game to shorten the game and keep Bradford and Co. off the field. A hard fought 28-25 win.

Worst game: vs Oklahoma State. This game was lost mainly by my coaching. I refused to see what happened in the first two games (tons of dropped passes) and tried to force my team to be a passing team when they just didn't have the horses to do it. I got behind early and tried to make big plays to get back into the game, which led to picks. Ugly game, but without it I wouldn't have switched up my offense, so there is a silver lining.

Offensive player of the year: No question, true freshman HB Christine Michael. I believe he finished the year with nearly 1,800 yards and 31 TD's, even though he missed an entire game. He should be a preseason Heisman candidate in 2010.

Defensive player of the year: I'd have to check the stats, but probably Junior DE Von Miller. My defense wasn't particularly good this year, so there aren't a lot of standout guys on that side of the ball.

Regrets: Not realized earlier that I couldn't run the pass offense I'm used to with this corp of receivers.

Season thoughts: As with Minnesota, this was a great season so far. Finishing 11-1 and likely in the top 10 is a huge first year for my program. Combine that with a fairly young roster and the #1 recruiting class (at least going into week 14) and the future surely is bright. I beleive we don't lose many impact seniors and I'll be surprised if many underclassmen choose to leave early, since the only one who put up big stats was Michael, who isn't eligible. I had 3 good true freshman WR's I redshirted this year, and if they progress as I hope, I plan on trying to open up the passing game more in 2010 to take better advantage of Jerrod Johnson's ability in his senior year and balance out the offense.
  3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Aug 13, 2009
    lol I can't really comment since I only played one game.
  4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Oct 8, 2009

Best game: vs Minnesota. This was the conference championship game, which was very tough. Hippo performed quite well with the Gophers seeming to destroy the Hawks with a early 14 point lead. Iowa came back and made some big plays. That game could have gone either way. Gray and Bennett were tough to stop and the only reason we won the game was because of turnovers. For their next matchup in 2010 the Hawks will return 9 of 11 defensive starters and will gameplan to contain Minnesota's offense.

Worst game: vs Penn St. Penn state embarrassed Iowa at Happy Valley winning 36-6. Iowa could not do anything on offense getting just over 150 total yards of offense. The defense could not stop Evan Royster who rushed for more than 200 yards. Next year the Hawks will have Penn St in Iowa City and will look to upset the Nittany Lions.

Offensive player of the year: RSSO WR Marvin McNutt. McNutt made amazing plays and catches all year almost gaining 1,000 yards receiving. McNutt will look to be Ricki Stanzi's #1 target in the 2010 season.

Defensive player of the year: RSSR MLB Pat Angerer. Pat was the sole leader for the Hawks defense. He seemed to be everywhere on the field making great tackles, stopping rushes, and knocking down passes. He will sorely be missed and the Hawks will need to replace a giant hole at MLB next season.

Regrets: The Iowa Hawkeyes have no regrets and the coaches are proud of their boys.

Season thoughts: With 90% of starters returning for next season the Hawks look to improve next year and compete for a National Title. Even though they have high hopes they will not take any games for granted...
  5. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Oct 14, 2009
    :D haha, it's all good. Figured you couldn't sum up a season where you played only one game. Best of luck on the recruiting trail this off-season.