Season One: Mid Season Review

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by LSUTRUTH, Oct 10, 2012.

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Jun 19, 2011
  2. Burrcat2277

Burrcat2277 Walk On

Jun 11, 2012
    Biggest offensive surprise is Braxton Miller's inconsistency. Miller is responsible for 11 Touchdowns (6 pass, 5 Rush) in 5 games played. (Week 6 was knocked out after second possession.) Miller has thrown 5 interceptions while fumbling 3 times. He has shown a problem with accuracy short to medium while excelling with the deep ball. He is only a sophomore and already a major part of the offense. He has room to grow so there is not much concern for the future. For this season though he needs to get better in a few areas and that I admit starts with play calling. He is the starter but Kenny Guiton played extremely well vs Iowa in place of Miller so he is aware continued inconsistencies will possibly cost him some playing time.
    Another surprise is Sophomore WR Devin Smith. After a great freshman campaign he has struggled so far this year. Only a sophomore, Smith is #1 on the Buckeye depth chart at WR. He has 0 Td's and 4 drops on 170 yards receiving through 6 games. He has drawn the top corner against some good defenses but his production is still way below expectations. Ohio State has multiple options to throw the ball to including team leader, SR TE Jake Stoneburner (3 TD 380 Yds). Like Braxton Miller, Devin Smith is only sophomore and are very talented. His production should increase greatly over time.
    Defensively the biggest surprise for all the the right reasons is another young guy, Sophomore MLB Curtis Grant. An area of concern going in was the linebacker play given that 2 of 3 starters are Sophomores. Curtis Grant hasn't been flashy and cute, but he does his job and excels at it. So far he is the teams leading tackler with 21, including 2 sacks and an interception. He stops the run, plays coverage, gets off blocks and flies sideline to sideline with exceptional pursuit skills. Nothing but positives with this kid.
    Recruiting has been good. We have needs and so far are doing a good job in filling those needs with not just guys but guys with talent. The secondary was an area we are looking at specifically. We have 2 very talented corners (1 committed) and a couple safeties we like. I think our class will turn out to be productive as we not only are recruiting good talent, but good talent for spots that we need them to play sooner rather than later.
    We are 5-1 right now, the loss to Michigan State hurt but we came back with a big win vs an undefeated Iowa team. We have a couple games the next couple weeks where I feel are games we should win and look to achieving our goal in getting to Indy.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Jun 19, 2011
    First Who has been your biggest surprise offense and defense?
    Second Has those guys been a good or bad surprise and why?
    Offense has been my running back play. These dudes have gashed everything or everyone I have played. Im curious to see the match up vs a user and a good defense in the Florida Gators should be interesting.
    Defense it no question has to be Jalen Mills. The freshman CB has been awesome. In fact I feel like the CPU has picked on Simon because Mills has been so good.

How is your recruiting class shaping up? Good? or Work to be done.​
    Class is looking big time. Crazy how good this group is. Possibley the best class I have ever signed. We might have to look at recruiting restrictions beyond the 5* rule as we all are elite teams.

4. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

Jun 23, 2009
    Offesne suprise - Two freshman running backs. I'm trying to give them both ample carries so one of them doesn't end up transferring on me for lack of playing time. Passing game has been pretty steady. I also bring in the RFR QB from time to time so he won't bolt as well.
    My return game has been pretty good. I actually returned a missed FG last night for a TD.

Recruiting - Not as good as I expected. I have a few top end guys but not as solid overall as I thought. Mostly because many of the guys interested in me early weren't in my pipeline so that hurt.
  5. Will Atkinson

Will Atkinson Walk On

Jan 22, 2012
    • Offense: True Sophomore WR Rashad Greene has been a impressive for us catching the ball. Despite his size he has done a great job going across the middle and making plays. He also has been electric in the return game, with a 11.6 yard return average on punts and 1 TD.
    -Honorable mention goes to QB E.J. Manuel, he has made some really impressive throws but has turned the ball over 9 times and that could hurt us down the road.
    • Defense: DE Bjoern Werner has been wrecking havoc in the oppositions backfield. 7 sacks entering the week, he added 4 more this week against Boston College. He is on his way to an All-American campaign.
    • Recruiting: We are battling with Michigan and Georgia with some big recruits at the moment so the jury is still out if we hit it really big with this class. But so far 3 commits with an average rating 76.3 fully scouted. A 74 fullback is slightly dropping that average, I expect it to only go up from here on out.
  6. Legacy

Legacy Walk On

Jun 16, 2010
    QB Brion Carnes has to be my key player of the year so far. Stepping in and making plays for an injured Taylor Martinez. On defense it would be Will Compton who has manned the 4-2-5, which is a new ystem for Nebraska.

Rex Burkhead has been alright for us, expecting better games down the stretch.

Recruiting has been solid. Gotten guys over 74 OVR.