Season One Post Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Southern Fried Dynasty' started by PIG BOMB, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

So we ended up having an unrealistic result to season one with a MAC team running the table and winning the National Championship. A MW team also finished with only one loss.

Props to their users for being so good on the sticks and for being good coaches!

We also had passing and rushing stats that were high from various teams but again not a-typical for good users.

The plan for season 2 is to schedule more user games and tougher CPU opponents.
    We also made our sliders more difficult as we went along and will crank them up again for next season. See the thread with sliders for details.

I realize it's a video game and this kind of thing does happen when you have talented users. However, the majority of users did as well as I had hoped for while using bad teams with tough sliders - so that was good. I'm hoping more user v user games and tougher CPU opponents will make it much harder for any user to win the Natty.

Does anyone have any other ideas for getting more realistic results. Love to hear thoughts from San Jose and Ohio on this. I'd hate to have 10 million house rules which is what has happened in year's past to help the computer teams. However, it also make the game tedious and un-sim for the user trying to follow all the house rules.

Fmode11
    Kidofcrash23
    | DedStaar |
    Flo308
    Quattro
    Ian Moss
    GrimReeferXXIV
    BakerWildcat7
    GDip
    Leonidas3737
    priestmvp
    droid43

2. Quattro

Quattro Moonwalking in a field of landmines

I don't see any issue with SJSU finishing with only one loss, MacIntyre lead them to a 10-2 record and a top 25 ranking so a year later with returning players it would make sense. I completely agree about Ohio though, no way should that happen.

3. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

My feedback is the only thing that can be done is just adjust the sliders, there isn't much of anything else that can be done when it comes to playing CPU except again, adjust the sliders to make it a mismatch against CPU . What that will do is those that have had trouble against CPU will continue to have CPU and it really isn't a solution for those that are good against CPU, it may not impact agains tusers that have no issue with CPU.

I have to leave, i can elaborate more later.

4. Quattro

So in other words for the poor saps who have teams like Air Force it's gonna be a bigger bitch haha

5. Leonidas3737

Leonidas3737 Walk On

Yeah but to put things in perspective: SJSU's only loss was to user controlled Wyoming, while they beat Stanford who is currently ranked 12.

None of Ohio's regular season opponents are ranked at this point in time.

Ohio beat Notre Dame in the National Championship by one touchdown in double overtime while only turning the ball over one time. Air Force lost to that same Notre Dame team by only one touchdown during the regular season while throwing 4 interceptions.

So while I agree that the results weren't quite realistic, I do think that consistency more than anything else was the factor resulting in two of us racking up a bunch of wins.

But by all means you have my blessing to murder me with my schedule next year, and I agree it should be an A+ and that that would probably be the easiest way to level things out a little bit. But at the same time if I happen to be able to make it through a rough schedule I don't want to be crucified for it. And as far as realism goes, I don't think that ten years ago anyone thought that Alabama would be where it is now, looking to make it 3 in a row and 4 out of 5. So while maybe not quite so immediate, there's a precedent set by real life that shows a coach can make a huge difference in a program.

Especially when you consider that it is Alabama setting the precedent, which happens to be about the last state most people would want to visit or live in for 4 years but they keep pulling big time talent anyways.

6. Leonidas3737

Leonidas3737 Walk On

And by looking at the stats it seems like turnovers are a huge factor. Of the 12 user qbs who threw for 12 or more INTs on the season the TD to int ratio is 249-237 before we advance past bowl season. The combined records for the season for those teams is 79-56. That's a pretty impressive record considering that's pretty much one pick for every TD. That doesn't even factor in lost fumbles, punts, defensive scores allowed, and failed fourth down conversions. Kidofcrash23 was saying that messing with the sliders isn't really going to have a huge effect on the users who have done well against the CPU and that is because there is no slider that can force users to throw into coverage, run options into numbers, or to not take sacks and tackles for losses to avoid making mistakes.

7. Quattro

Turnovers lost me at least two games this past season, the biggest two were Navy and as you said, ND. I'm not really blaming it on the players, but Ohio shouldn't be making it to the BCS title game with that schedule, that I believe is a error in the games programming or something. If you were to make it through a A+ schedule undefeated and made it to the title game I'd say you're good to go for the title game and I'd have no issues with Ohio being in it.

I don't agree with your Alabama example though, they had a rough stretch in the late 90's to the mid-2000's but they are a blueblood program who sits on a lot of talent in their backyard and immediate region, the state is crazy about college football, it was only a matter of time before they woke up again.

8. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Maybe it is your team? :eek:

In any case, in general though, if it is hard for some owners to win against CPU now and we change sliders to make it more of a disadvantage for users against CPU, i would think some owners will not like it so much, me personally, i dont care, even if i had trouble against CPU or not, harder the better. It would just suck to make it harder for those that find it hard against CPU to make it even harder because of other owners that are winnign easily. If other owners are fine, im all for it to make it even harder.

I think the sliders were changed for the bowl week, it realy didn't feel much different at all in terms of gameplay for me. I jumped out early and then fell behind, but overall, my qb played well with 5 TDs and even though the qb accuracy was decreased, i had no wild throws at all, evertyhing was on point, even the two picks i threw, defenders were right there in good position, if not, i twould of been a completion. Question is, do sliders work at all for user or cpu???

9. Leonidas3737

Leonidas3737 Walk On

I can agree with the scheduling thing. For that matter I have no clue how Notre dame jumped 1 loss Alabama who won the SEC Championship 49-21 either. Definitely something odd going on as far as that goes. Like you said, with my schedule I wouldn't have felt snubbed at all if the highest I was able to get ranked was 3 or lower.

And my point with the Alabama thing was that a coach can make a big difference. Whether it's Saban at bama, spurrier at SC, Meyer at UF or Ohio State, or Chris Peterson at Boise, coaches come into programs all the time and elevate them far above the level they were at previously, regardless of what level that was.

10. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I for one think the sliders are fine, you have to factor in the Talent level of sjsu and ohio as well, both teams have some talent, pair that with guys with stick skills and ur gonna get wins.... I played Leonidas and watched every youtube clip Kid put up and it's prerty clear those guys can.... Although I thought it was odd Ohio made it that far, it had nothing to do with our gameplay sliders....

11. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

After running this past other commissioners several commented that the AI just can't handle a good QB running the ball and keeping it.
    However they all recommend what I said...more user games and tougher computer opponents will help a bunch.
    Having smart solid users can make even Ohio into a powerhouse.
    In fact many OD's won't play with these low level crappy teams because users can make them too good.

12. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

The consesus is that the option is overpowered this year, im not sure if it was in previous NCAA games since this is my first, but it clearly is. I have about 30+ option runs with my QB this season and he averages almost 10 yards a carry on option runs. That seems a lot to me. The AI can't even cover in zone and if you are relying on AI to help defend in space, good chance they aren't goign to be able to defend an option .

Although i felt i was able to defend the option ran by Air Force, even the plays I stopped, there was just so much open space almost every time and if the first defender misses, good bye, its a big gain. The AI in NCAA doesnt seem to react fast enough and im not sure if its because of the players i have or what, but other leagues i think have the same issue defending options. The way is to user, but when there is a player in space, its hard to defend.

Of course more users games is better, who wants to play CPU? I dont really, only positive thing about playing CPU to me is that we can get games in faster and advance, but i dread player CPU, just boring. I dont mind a tougher schedule for me, if i get a whole season of ranked teams on my schedule, im good to go, i like the challenge. In my offline, i did win the national champtionship with SJSU :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Leonidas3737

Leonidas3737 Walk On

Let's not mash all of the options into one category. If I remember some of your earlier posts correctly most of your 30+ qb runs would have come off of read options, which were discussed week two, and which I haven't run since week 2. Running option plays that involve pitches isn't going to guarantee big plays, and you can get yourself in big trouble a lot faster doing it than you can throwing interceptions if you're not good at it. I'd be happy to throw the ball a lot more but to me passing is, and has always been overpowered as an offensive weapon and is even still. It's too easy to best man, like you said the CPU doesn't cover zones very well, and it's too easy to recognize what the coverage is going to be.

There is a reason why there are 7 user teams in the top 20 in passing yards in the country and only 5 users in the top 100 in rushing yards in the country ( 2 in the top 20 ), and it's not because running the ball is so easy and overpowered...

14. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

I'll think we roll out more user games and tough CPU teams and see how it goes.
    Offense is always overpowered because its what "the kids" want when they buy this game.
    Most want to be the Ducks not 'Bama because its exciting and they like scoring- a ton!

Everyone needs to hurry and play Bowls so we can get started on season 2.

I'll have a new mobile JUCO transfer QB and I'm looking at playbooks!!! Wooooo!
    Spread option? Run and Shoot? not sure yet.

15. GrimReeferXXIV

GrimReeferXXIV Walk On

:joyful:

16. priestmvp

priestmvp FOOTBALL!!!!

Bottom line I don't think any amount of slider adjustments can FIX this game :meh:

17. droid43

droid43 Walk On

It really does depend on talent and playing style. I did not have the personnel to run the missouri spread last year and combined with my OOC schedule, that was what kept me from getting to 6-6. Adjusting the sliders can only do so much. I think that this is by far the toughest challenge I have had in an online dynasty, but it's a fair challenge. There really hasn't been too much of the CPU getting the better of me, just execution and better players.

More user vs. user games and scheduling everyone against at least one top 15 team should help with the improbable results. I think the sliders are fine because it's not as if Ohio or SJSU were blowing out CPU teams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.