Season one redux game recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Jamie, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

NCSU 35 Ok St. 34

A tremendous game that ended in triumph for one and agony for the other.

Ok St wins the toss and elects to kick. A nice return by Underwood and NC St is off. Third play of the game, a read option by QB Thomas, goes for 55, finally being tackled at the one. Next play, Thomas audibles out of a run and calls a slant, a good move as Payton broke the press for an easy TD. 7-0. NC St forces a punt. They then go down the field and score again. This time Thomas hits Watson from 16 yards out, 14-0 NCSU. After the kick return, very next play, Chelf, who had not thrown very well up to this point, nails a streaking Stewart for a 75 yard TD. 14-7

Second Quarter, more of the same for NCSU. A drive down the field but the score are coming from further out. Thomas connects with Payton for the second time, this one a 35 yard strike. 21-7. Ok St is driving but the only turnover of the game comes as Chelf throws to the LB Salahuddin. NC St goes down the field but is stopped at the 25 on fourth and one. Coach Wolf elects to go for three and the kicker missed it wide left. Ok St realizes they have a run game and start to run right over the Wolfpack. Smith from three yards out and we go into halftime with NC St leading 21-14.

Third Quarter, Ok St runs the snot out of the Wolfpack to the tune of a 5 minute drive and the game tying TD, as Smith runs in from 2.

The wild fourth quarter starts with NC St in control of the ball. NC St is able to run a little themselves as Thornton scores on an eight yard run to take the 28-21 lead. Ok St again runs right over NC St with a four and a half minute drive capped by Smith with his third TD of the day from 2 yards out. Tied at 28. 1:16 left. "Right where we want them", is all I could think about. A huge third down conversion as Thomas finds Underwood with about 40 seconds left. A few seconds later, QB Thomas ran in a read option from 39 yards out to give NC St the 35-28 lead. :20 left. Squib it or deep? Last time this coach saw a squib, his TE lateraled to the WR for an unbelievable KR TD. "Always go deep", is what I thought. KR Roland breaks down the right side for a 100 yard kick return TD. They line up for what appeared to be the tieing extra point but wait; Time Out! They decide to go for two. This was gutsy call number one. The other? I ran a goaline D against a spread look, convinced that he would try to run it in, since he had been dominating me up front. Not sure if it was an audible or not, but the pass out to the flat was caught but too close to the sideline to break the tackle and run. :8 left, we know the onside kick is coming. And they recover! The first pass was in and out of the recievers hands at around the 30 yard line!! The last attempt at a hail mary ended in a sack and the exciting conclusion to the game.

GG justca11mejuice

2. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

i couldn't even be angry after that game... i really had no business being in that game. your QB torched my DEF for 300+yds... i figured if i went for the safe play and got the XP, there was no guarantee i'd win it in OT, and i was happy with the 100yd return to at least cut it to a 1pt game. i had a run setup out of the timeout, but saw the defensive setup and audibled. i had the slot receiver run an out, and he was open in the end zone when i threw the ball, but he dropped back to the 3yd line and then ran out of bounds before i could turn.

the number one thing i hate about this game - when i find a guy open, he comes back to the ball. i don't want him to come back, i want him to continue running his route!

i don't think that onside kick should have been mine though... feels like a glitch in the game, because i'm positive it didn't make it 5yds past the spot of the kick, let alone 10yds. still not sure how my WR dropped that ball when i recovered the onside kick though. haha.

3. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

You had every business being in that game. I may have passed all over you but I couldn't stop your running game at all. The missed field goal hurt a lot.

I didn't realize you had a guy open, I was just trying to get at you cause I knew I was at a disadvantage.

The onside kick, only thing I can think of is my guy touched it first; which would be extremely stupid since at no point should they rush the ball. And that missed pass, just wow!!

4. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

You must be holding back like you are still dropping back when you hit the button, that tells the QB to throw short and force the receiver to come back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wyrmreaver

PSU - 31
    ISU - 28

Cyclones get it first but are forced to punt. PSU marches down the field and Hackenberg finds his TE Carter for a 20 yard TD strike. ISU bounces back and scores on an 18 yard run to get it back. PSU answers when Hackenberg once again finds the big TE, this time for a 41 yard TD after a couple of broken tackles. ISU moves it well but a poor read results in an INT. PSU uses basically all of the rest of the half to get down the field, including a huge 3rd and long conversion to keep the drive alive. With 15 seconds left, Hackenberg gets the 1:1 matchup he wants and finds Carter for the thirs time in the half! ISU throws another INT on the next play and PSU answers with an INT on a Hail Mary attempt to close the half, 21-7 Nittany Lions.

Hackenberg, after playing so well in the first half, seems a little rattled after the break and the true freshman makes a terrible read on an out route. The corner darts in front of the WR and goes 40 yards the opposite way for a pick 6. PSU goes to the run on the ensuing drive, then mixes in a pass and Robinson torches the zone with a post route and races into the end zone for a 38 yard score to take the lead back to 14 points at 28-14. After a Cyclones punt, the Nittany Lions add a FG to make it 31-17 to start the 4th. On the first play of the final quarter ISU gets a monster KO return all the way inside the 15. The Cyclones quickly capitalize with a 1 yard TD run (Richardson had a ten yard run to the 1 but somehow gets credited a TD in the stat sheet...). ISU finds new life and forces PSU to punt near midfield. A nice coffin corner punt is downed at the 6 but the Cyclones are unphased and march downfield and punch in another TD to narrow the lead to 31-28 with about 2:30 left. Holding all 3 time outs the Cyclones elect to kick it deep. From there the big bruising tailback, Zwinak took matters into his own hands and pummeled his way to a couple first downs, the last one on a 3rd and 10 where he shrugged off three or four tacklers to get past the marker and end the game.

Player of the Game goes to TE Kyle Carter. The big sophomore only caught 3 of Hackenberg's 16 completions, but those three went for 80 yards and all three resulted in 6 points.

GG Five_Fifs

6. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

i think you may be right...

7. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Wake Forest stuns Ohio St 45-28

Wake Forest coach PointO didn't think the Demon Deacons could beat the #2 ranked team in the Nation by just relying on the arm of quarterback Tanner Price.

Instead, it took a little help from Wake Forest's running backs and defense. Wake Forest forced 3 Turnovers and Hb Josh Harris ran for 3 TDs.

The Demon Deacons received the opening kickoff and thanks to two nice passes to TEs Vogelsang and Rook, Wake Forest were in the Redzone. That's where the Buckeyes defense stepped up by holding the home team to -3 yards on 3 straight runs from goal to go. Kicker Hedlund came in and knock the 23 yard FG through the uprights. 3-0 WF
    Led by Braxton Miller's arm and legs the Buckeyes marched down the field with ease, the drive would be capped off when Miller snuck the ball in from two yards out.

After a couple of first downs, QB Price threw an ill advised pass down the sideline that was intercepted by CB Reeves. Ohio State went three and out their next drive and after a short punt the Demon Deacons were back in business. A couple of Harris runs set the Deacons on the 1 yard line and coach decided to give the FB the ball who didn't disappoint. 10-7
    Miller wasted no time leading his team down the field for another score this time a 5 yard TD to WR Spencer. 14-10
    With a little over 1 min to go in the half, Wake Forest's offense took the field and Tanner Price saw his TE Vogelsang split the LBs and threw a perfect pass for the 15 yard TD with 23 secs left. Halftime 17-14 WF

The Buckeyes opened the second half with a beautiful read option play to HB Hyde who took it the distance 64 yards. Unphased Wake responded with a quick TD drive, which ended in Hb Harris sneaking his way from 1 yard out. The back and forth ended when Braxton Miller didn't see MLB Olsen drop into coverage giving the Deacons the ball inside the Buckeyes 25 yard line. Two plays later and it's 31-21 Wake. Then things just fell apart for the Buckeyes, after another Miller INT and TD by Wake Forest the score was 38-21 and Ohio State was about to be blown out of the stadium.

The two teams would exchange TDs in the 4th resulting in a 45-28 W for the Demon Deacons.

Player of the game: QB Tanner Price 19-26 313 yards, 2 TDs 1 INT. 4 carries 33 yards

Stat of the game: 3 Turnovers for Ohio St - 1 for Wake Forest

It was over when... Ohio ST WR Brown fumbled the ball inside the Redzone early in the 4th

GG Harmon43, I caught the breaks in this game. Good luck the rest of the way

• Like Like x 1
  8. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I don't know if I should be happy or scared...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

When I saw the score between you and him I was thinking I'm going to be blown out. My defense finally caught the INTs thrown in their hands :)

10. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

My defense caught all the INTs thrown in their hands when I played him, too!
    (He was 20/21 with a WR drop)

• Like Like x 1
  11. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

nice job from a :2stars:school bro. Automatik I opened my scheduled for my :2stars:Indiana team with #3 Oregon and #1 Alabama. I got a split so I guess i'm happy with that. Anyways good job bro. Maybe Neal Wyrmreaver will have us play against each other next season. Always look forward to the chess match when we play.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Wake defeats second straight B1G Ten opponent
    For the second week in a row, Wake Forest bested a top 25 opponent from the B1G Ten this time Michigan St were the victims of the Demon Deacons. HB Josh Harris ran for a season high 156 yards and 2 TDs in helping his team win 31-21.

Michigan St received the opening kickoff but were unable to garner anything on the drive. After Wake started their first drive with a first down, a 19 yard pass from QB Tanner Price to WR Campanaro, but the next three plays netted a total of 0 yards resulted in a Deacons' punt. Both teams would once again exchange punts, but this time Ragland returned the State punt 42 yards to set up the Demon Deacons inside the Spartans 40 yard line. A couple of key third down conversions later and HB Harris had himself a 1 yard TD to give the Deacons a 7-0 lead.

Connor Cook and the Spartans offense wasted no time by going 75 yards in 40 seconds, the end result a 38 yard TD pass to WR Bennie Fowler who got a great block down the sideline. On the following kickoff, Ragland took the ball 3 yards in his endzone and followed a few key blocks on his way to a 103 yard TD to give the lead back to the Deacons. 14-7 The Spartans and Demon Deacons would trade TDs before the half would end, a 8 yard run by Nick Hill and 1 yard plunge by backup running back Reynolds respectively. 21-14

The opening half drive was one for the books as Wake ran the ball but once all drive. The drive was capped off when Harris got around the corner and broke a tackle for a 20 yard score. Michigan St QB Cook got his team to the 30 yard line before he threw a jump ball between his WR and CB Noel which Noel won. It was Cook's only mistake in a other wise brilliant game(80%, 246 yards, 1TD).

A 4th quarter TD by State made things interesting late, but with 4:30 min left the Spartans were unable to stop the Deacons' run game.

Player of the game: HB Josh Harris 23 carries 156 yards 2 TDs

Stat of the game: Wake Forest 7-9 on 3rd down

It was over when... TE Rook who had dropped his two earlier passes thrown his way caught a 3rd and 10 pass with 4min left in the 4th.

GG RealUteRaven4rmLA, good luck the rest of the way.

13. Wyrmreaver

Automatik is on a roll...

14. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Now, I just have to get my revenge on Jamie in two weeks. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

UNC Steals Win Late From #6 Clemson, 27-25

North Carolina won the toss and elected to kick to start the game off. Clemson started off with a balanced drive, but on their first big shot of the game, QB Kelly was picked off by a lurking FS Jackson. After a decent INT return, the Tar Heels came out running. Clemson's defense answered the call by knocking the Tar Heels off the field after 3 plays, forcing a punt. Both teams established their run defenses, and the game came down to the arms of the 2 quarterbacks. QB Kelly moved his team through the air well and HB McDowell punched in a 2 yard TD run to open the scoring. North Carolina tried to take to the air on their next drive, but the Clemson defense responded with another 3 and out, aided by a ferocious pass rush to end the 1st. 7-0 Clemson.

QB Kelly once again moved his team down the field with his explosive WR corps, but couldn't find WR Watkins on a 3rd down attempt, so the Tigers were forced to take 3 points. Clemson's defense looked to be on their way to another 3 and out on 3rd and 3, but QB Renner, facing immediate pressure, found WR Davis on a quick slant that turned into a 67 yard catch and run for a TD. QB Kelly, finding his groove, wasted no more than a minute responding with their high flying offense, finishing the next drive with a 16 yard toss to WR Peake. North Carolina needed to respond, but Clemson's defense didn't yield a yard on the next drive, their 3rd 3 and out. Clemson had a chance to pull away on their next drive, but the Tar Heels defense answered the bell, forcing a punt. That's when things got crazy. QB Renner took the field with a little over a minute left, trying to get some points and momentum, but all of their momentum was stolen when SS Smith stepped in front of a curl at the 50 yard line. Clemson quickly drove down to the 20, but QB Kelly got greedy trying to bait CB Scott. CB Scott didn't take the underneath bait and picked off an attempted TD pass to WR Bryant in the endzone. UNC had all of their timeouts, but with only a few seconds on the clock, they only got close enough to attempt a pseudo-hail mary that was picked off. 17-7 Clemson at the half.

UNC opened the 2nd half with the ball. WR Tapley found some space over the left side for a huge 45 yard reception that set up a Tar Heels TD, bringing the score close. Clemson's offense seemed to keep their momentum, but 3 straight incompletions just inside UNC territory forced a long field goal attempt that fell way short. QB Renner tried to move his team down the field to take the lead, but an excellent read by FS Blanks on a slant netted Clemson another interception. UNC's defense stepped up with a sack on the next drive to push Clemson just out of field goal range and forced a punt. The Tar Heels offense tried to re-establish the running game on the next drive, repeatedly gaining ~7 yards up the middle of the defense. The game would be decided in the 4th. 17-14 Clemson.

The Tar Heels opened the final frame with a bang. QB Renner found since-dormant WR Thorpe on a slant, and WR Thorpe shook a Clemson defender out of his jock on his way to the endzone, giving North Carolina the lead. Clemson answered very quickly, aided by a busted coverage that led to a 45 yard bomb down the middle of the field. WR Bryant hauled in a 5 yard TD reception to put the Tigers back on top. In a ballsy move, Clemson went for 2, and QB Kelly found WR Peake alone in the back of the endzone to extend their lead to 4. The Heels wouldn't go quietly, though. QB Renner found TE Ebron on a triple move, and TE Ebron got loose in the secondary before being taken down after a 46 yard reception. The Heels were getting close to another lead, but Clemson's D-line got their second wind in the knick of time. After 2 sacks on 2nd and 3rd down, the Heels were forced to take 3 points, bringing them within 1. Having abandoned the run game a long time ago, Clemson took to the air once again on their final drive. Things were looking up for them until the biggest play of the game.

Clemson called a couple of slot slants, and both receivers got open from their men, but they slightly bumped each other. QB Kelly was forced to double clutch, and the following throw was well-behind his intended receiver - and right into the hands of MLB Hughes. That left the Tar Heels with 2 minutes and 3 timeouts to go win the game from their 42 yard line. After a failed run to get the clock rolling, QB Renner found TE Ebron and WR Davis on consecutive completions for a combined 21 yards. UNC started punching the ball up the middle, because they were in decent position to score, but Clemson netted two TFLs on 1st and 2nd down. On one of the gutsiest plays of the game, UNC called a pass play to WR Thorpe on 3rd down, and he was able to pull it in within the 20 yard line with only 11 seconds to go. UNC hurried up to the line, centered the ball, and called their final timeout with only 2 seconds remaining. Clemson called their final timeout trying to ice the kicker, but K Moore was able to chip it in from 30 yards out as the clock ran down to 0. 27-25 UNC.

QB Renner: 17/24, 319 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs, 9 att, -17 yards
    HB Morris: 11 att, 31 yards, 2 rec, 18 yards
    WR Thorpe: 4 rec, 77 yards, 2 TDs, 1 att, 9 yards

QB Kelly: 21/39, 366 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 6 att, -2 yards
    HB McDowell: 11 att, 36 yards, 1 TD
    WR Peake: 6 rec, 93 yards, 1 TD, 1 att, -3 yards

GG WarEagle2, tough to lose on some receivers colliding. Not looking forward to playing you in Death Valley, and was extremely glad that Boyd was injured.

16. WarEagle2

WarEagle2 Walk On

Hell of a game man you know you won off that late game pick. Second half my run game was non existent

17. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

Oklahoma State rolled in to College Station and laid a beating on the Aggies, winning 35-23. Jeremy Smith rushed for 274yds and 4TD.

18. Wyrmreaver

Penn State 49
    N.C. State 28

This game featured a lot of offense! NC State got it first and went three and out for the only punt of the entire game. Penn State took huge chunks of yardage before a 3 yard TD pass made it 7-0. NC State went back to work but an INT would give it back to the Nittany Lions. The second ranked team in the land again moved with ease down the field for another TD pass. NCSU finally found their rythm and got in for a 3 yard TD run to cut it to 14-7 early in the second. The ensuing kickoff went 101 yards for a score and a 21-7 PSU lead. A few plays later, Thornton broke loose for a 56 yard TD run to cut the defecit back to 7. The ensuing kickoff went 51 yards into NCSU territory and PSU was in business, but a dropped pass at the goal line by the HB (nobody even touched him) was followed by a missed FG which was followed a couple plays later with a 56 yard TD pass to tie the game at 21 all with just over 30 seconds left. PSU took a sack on first down and called timeout. With 26 seconds left int he half and 80 yards to the endzone, the Nittany Lions did the only sensible thing and decided to air it out! Four plays later Hackenberg found Robinson for a 23 yard TD with just 3 seconds until halftime, 28-21 PSU at the break.

PSU got it first in the second half and picked up where they left off, this time with the HB taking a 3rd and inches play for a 53 yard TD and a 35-21 lead. NCSU marched all the way downfield but an INT in the endzone gave the ball back to PSU. PSU once again moved through the NCSU defense easily, finally scoring on a 10 yard pass to the TE. The Wolfpack would rush downfield on the next possession and get another TD to cut the lead to 14 at 42-28. PSU, knowing another score would all but put the game out of reach, stuck to the balanced gameplan with the pass setting up the run and Hackenburg would find Robinson for his 3rd TD catch of the game to take a 49-28 lead with a little over 3 minutes left. With roughly 2 minuted left NCSU threw another TD in the endzone, their second, and a couple of rushing first downs closed this one out.

Stats:
    Total Offense: 459 NCSU / 499 PSU
    3rd Downs: Both teams were 5 of 6
    Turnovers: 3 NCSU / 0 PSU

Two gameballs for PSU: Frosh QB Christian Hackenberg continues to be a revelation for this team, completing 19 of 24 passes for 280 yards and 5 TDs. Power HB Zach Zwinak went for 202 yards on 16 carries and a TD

One Gameball for NCSU: WR Quinton Payton had 7 catches for 197 yards and a pair of TDs

GG Jamie

• Like Like x 1
  19. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

OSU demolished Mizzou 59-31... i couldn't run the ball for shit, i think Jeremy Smith only ran for 100yds, and they were all garbage time runs in the 4Q while i was running out the clock. at one point he had 9 rushes for only 6 yards. Clint Chelf threw for 4 TDs and ran one in. 3 WRs had over 88yds receiving.

this game is crazy - it seemed like i was able to score at will, and have now won two games in a row. but i'm finding myself seriously disinterested overall. as crazy as it was, and as challenging as it was, i liked playing with my Northwestern squad more.

20. Domino427

Domino427 Walk On

Fox Debuts With a "W"
    Leads #9 Longhorns Over #23 TCU in Fort Worth

[​IMG]
    A 31yd TD rush by Weldon James wasn't enough for the #23 Horned Frogs to overcome the #9 Longhorns

FORT WORTH, Texas

In a back-and-forth battle between interstate conference rivals, new Texas head coach Hayden Fox led the #9 Longhorns to victory over the #23 Horned Frogs of TCU, 26-21.

The Longhorns marched right down the field with ease on the game's opening drive, capped-off with a 6-yard TD run from HB Jonathan Gray. Gray dominated the game with 145 yards rushing on 27 carries, helping the 'horns to consistently move the chains against a TCU defense that struggled to stop the run.

"The ground game was huge for us," said Fox after the game. "Jonathan was a beast, and Malcolm [Brown] provided a nice change of pace. We blocked well, Case [McCoy] ran the read option perfectly, and as a result, we controlled the pace of play."

The game was neck-and-neck heading into halftime, with the Longhorns up 17-14, having taken the lead with under two minutes to go in the 2nd on a McCoy scramble that turned into an 8-yard TD run. McCoy was very efficient playing off the strong Texas running game, finishing 17-of-24 through the air for 150 yards to go along with 31 yards on the ground.

After a scoreless 3rd quarter, the Longhorns moved methodically down the field to extend their lead to 20-14 on Nick Jordan's second FG of the game, this time from 33 yards out. After the ensuing kickoff, TCU QB Trevone Boykin botched the pitch on an option play, leaving the pigskin in the backfield for DE Jackson Jeffcoat to scoop up with no one between him and paydirt. Texas failed to convert a 2-point conversion in an attempt to go up 14.

TCU responded by marching authoritatively down the field, reaching the endzone on a 5-yard pass to TE Stephen Bryant. However, the Horned Frogs onside kick attempt failed, sealing their fate and a Texas victory.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

#17 UNC Grinds Away NC State, 38-19

North Carolina won the toss and elected to kick to start the game off. NC State started off in the worst way imaginable, with an interception thrown to MLB Hughes that set up UNC in the red zone. After a 14 yard rush from HB Morris, QB Renner found FB Gonet in the right flat, and he pounded his way into the endzone to open the scoring. Needing to calm down immediately, the Wolfpack started running the ball, with success against the nation's #1 defense. NC State remained balanced on their way down the field, but the UNC defense showed up in their half, forcing a field goal. Not to be outdone, the Tar Heels began their own successful drive to end the 1st. 7-3 UNC.

A couple of strong runs capped off the UNC drive with a TD, this time from 3 yards out. NC State started their next drive in a bit of trouble, forced into 3rd and long early, but QB Thomas found WR Underwood behind the defense on a go, and WR Underwood almost broke it for a TD, getting tackled at the 10 by a shoestring. The UNC defense held strong in their own end once again, stopping NC State on the 2 yard line on 3rd down. The Wolfpack knocked in another FG. North Carolina didn't care for patience on the next drive, connecting on passes of 35, 26, 7 and 7 to cruise down the field. HB Morris ran in his 2nd of the day untouched around the right edge. Needing a response, the Wolfpack took to the air with just over 2 minutes left. They found a lot of success, but a sack forced a critical 4th and long. QB Thomas found star TE Watson in the middle of the field to convert just at the sticks with only 15 seconds to go. The Wolfpack used the momentum to score a much-needed TD, with QB Thomas once again finding WR Underwood over the top with only 2 seconds left. 21-13 UNC.

The second half started off with a bang. After a touchback on the kickoff, HB Morris took an option handoff up the middle, shook a safety out of his jock, and sprinted the rest of the 75 yards for a momentum-seizing TD. Feeding off of the energy, the UNC defense was able to get another pick, this time from CB Price, setting North Carolina up at the 33 yard line. UNC was quick to take advantage, finishing the drive with HB Morris' 3rd TD run of the day, from 1 yard out. The Wolfpack once again tried to get everything under control with a balanced drive, but the Tar Heel defense stood strong in their half once again, forcing a long FG that was barely missed. UNC started grinding the rest of the clock away as the 3rd came to a close. 35-13 UNC.

UNC punted the ball away to NC State, but the 3rd pick of the game sealed their fate, as QB Thomas was late on a curl route. CB Price stepped under it and set up UNC inside the 10. 3 runs and a lot of clock later, UNC kicked a short FG to make it 38. NC State had just under 3 minutes and made a long drive, but the clock ran down to 41 seconds as they scored, and an unrecovered onside kick ended the game. 38-19 UNC.

QB Renner: 13/14, 166 yards, 1 TD, 4 att, 7 yards
    HB Morris: 14 att, 133 yards, 4 TDs, 1 rec, 7 yards
    WR Davis: 4 rec, 75 yards

QB Thomas: 22/32, 284 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 4 att, -1 yards
    HB Thornton: 9 att, 43 yards, 1 rec, 1 yard
    WR Payton: 8 rec, 94 yards, 1 TD

GG Jamie, turnovers were obviously the difference. Not sure if I'll hold on to my #1 defense ranking after that one D:

22. Domino427

Domino427 Walk On

Ash Returns to Lead Horns over Hawks
    Junior QB Throws for 3 Touchdowns in Return from Injury

[​IMG]
    David Ash hit Kendall Sanders for a 24-yard TD

---------------------------

AUSTIN, Texas

One thing was noticeably different about the #9 Texas Longhorns on this rainy Saturday in Austin--they were passing the ball successfully.

Attribute that to the return of Junior QB David Ash.

Ash--who had been sidelined with an injury--was brilliant against the Jayhawks, completing 23-of-29 passes, three of which went for touchdowns. Considering the weather, his performance was all the more impressive.

That weather also aided the Longhorns defense, not that it needed much help. Jayhawks QB Jake Heaps struggled most of the game with a slippery football, finishing just 16-of-38 for 204 yards to go along with a TD and an INT. While Heaps struggled at time to accurately toss the pigskin, the real issue for the Kansas offense was dropped passes. When Heaps did hit his receivers, they rarely hung on to the ball.

It also helped that the Longhorns were able to maintain consistent pressure on Heaps while mostly sticking to a four-man rush. Where the Jayhawks erred was keeping the ball out of Senior RB James Sims's hands early. The talented back wound up finishing with just 4 carries for 19 yards.

After Kansas elected to defer, the Longhorns capitalized on their first drive which ended with an 18-yard TD pass to WR Mike Davis. Both through the air and on the ground, the Longhorns were able to move the ball steadily all day long. And after a quick 3-and-out for the Jayhawks, the Longhorns did just that once again, this time capped by a 3-yard TD run from Jonathan Gray. Gray quietly had another excellent game, finishing with 139 yards on 24 carries to go along with the score.

Now down 14-0 and only having run three plays, Sims was never able to get consistent carries.

The Longhorns added another TD on a 24-yard pass to WR Kendall Sanders (who dropped a few passes himself) late in the 2nd Quarter. Prior to that drive, the Jayhawks were able to move down the field, only to miss a close field goal attempt short.

Trailing 21-0, the Jayhawks came out in the 2nd Half looking like a different team. While they still struggled through the air, they were able to pick up some first downs and this time reach the end zone on a 23-yard pass to WR Tony Pierson. The Longhorns responded by moving the chains right down inside the Kansas 10, but an ill-advised screen pass from Ash was picked off by CB Greg Allen, halting what looked to be a sure TD drive for the Horns.

Not to be outdone, Heaps responded by throwing an INT of his own, which Texas CB Duke Thomas ran back into the end zone. However, the Longhorns were flagged for clipping on the return, moving them all the way back to their own 38.

After quickly trading punts, the Longhorns completed their last scoring drive of the game, resulting in a TD pass to backup TE Geoff Swaim. The PAT would be the last point put on the board, producing the 28-7 final.

Texas will travel to Morgantown to face West Virginia next week, while the Jayhawks travel to Stillwater, OK to take on Oklahoma State.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wyrmreaver

PSU 52
    MSU 27

Nittany Lions ride perfect first half to victory

Penn State came out firing on all cylinders in this one. The Nittany Lions no huddle attack clearly had Sparty on the ropes as Christian Hackenberg threw 5 TDs before halftime on the way to a 42-7 lead at the break. In the second half MSU looked content to just run out the clock but managed a few late scores in mop up duty all the same.

GG RealUteRaven4rmLA
    Everything was clicking on offense and defense for me in the first half, which was unfortunate for you.

24. Domino427

Domino427 Walk On

Short summary this week...sorry no full article.

#7 Texas 27
    #24 Oklahoma State 40

Five interceptions doomed the Longhorns this week. Oklahoma State did a good job against the run early, causing the Longhorns to throw the ball more than usual. Abandoning the run proved costly, as David Ash threw four picks before being replaced by Case McCoy in the 2nd half. McCoy was better, throwing his only pick on a desperation toss with under 0:40 left in the game. The Texas defense got good pressure on the QB, but struggled to stop the Oklahoma State offense, which only punted once. A number of dropped INTs could have taken at least 10 points off the board, with two near-picks inside the redzone.

Loss #3 was a tough one for the Longhorns, and it will be interesting to see who gets the start under center next week.

25. publik drunk

publik drunk King of the East

Sooners stop Ohio State in Pasadena
    Coach Keith Stone now has a bowl win under his belt after beating Ohio State 34-28. There were alot of momentum swings in this one including a pick 6 for Ohio State when the Sooners were driving late in the first half up 10-7. Groza winner Hunnicut connected from 53 yards out to steal a little momentum even though OU trailed 14-13 at the break. OU was able to put a TD drive together after half and the play of the game was a pick 6 by Cortez Johnson on the next Buckeye possesion for a 27-14 lead. Both offense were efficient in a game that featured only 3 punts. The defenses didn't give up many big plays but neither could get off the field and possesions were a premium. Gg Harmon43