Season One Syracuse Recaps

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by hoodlum10, Jul 19, 2013.

1. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

Orange eek out last-second victory against Louisiana Tech

[​IMG]

RUSTON, Louisiana -- With a 27-7 lead in the 3rd quarter, coach Robin Hood thought the All-American sliders may be in need of an adjustment sometime in the near future.

It was an understandable thought. His special teams units had been excelling, Louisiana Tech's passing game was being overwhelmed by the Syracuse pass rush, and the Orange were moving the chains consistently.

And then Hood nearly ate his words.

Less than a minute after the lead grew to 20, the Orange defense was gashed, making it 27-14. Two minutes later, as the third quarter came to a close, the Bulldogs scored again to make it 27-21.

Another defensive stop for LaTech was followed by yet another TD, and suddenly Syracuse trailed 28-27. After punting the ball back to the Bulldogs, the Orange defense finally regained some traction, forcing a three-and-out as a big pass breakup on 3rd-and-1 ended the drive.

Sophomore quarterback Terrel Hunt then drove the Orange down the field, setting up Ross Krautman's game-winning field goal as time expired. Hood's first career victory, Syracuse's first of the season. A 30-28 escape.

Moving forward, coach Hood was encouraged by the play of Hunt, starting his first career game. The play-calling was pretty conservative, but Hunt executed well. There won't be many games the Orange lose the turnover battle by two and still win, though.

Running backs Jerome Smith and Prince Tyson-Gulley moved the chains consistently and complimented each other well. That will need to continue for the Orange to have success this season.

What can't continue, however, is the abysmal performance of the defense in the second-half. The pass rush suddenly stopped creating pressure, and the secondary couldn't cover. And there was some pretty subpar tackling displays once they allowed the pass to be completed, too. The secondary will likely look a tad different for next week's game against Illinois.

It wasn't easy, but a win's a win.

(FULL STATS AVAILABLE ONLINE IN GAME RECAP POSTED ON OUR DYNASTY'S EA SITE)​

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I am keeping an eye on scores and will adjust sliders when needed. At the moment there were a couple of close games and at least one team lost to the CPU, so I am not making any changes at this time. My game with Georgia was fairly easy, but it was mostly due to Murray's desire to throw screens and dump off passes. Georgia averaged less than 10 yards per completion, and that total does include a couple long runs on screen plays.

3. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

I totally jumped the gun on that sliders thought, I think the sliders are solid. My defensive line (all 70-something OVR) was mauling their o-line (also 60 and 70-somethings) early on, but that definitely ceased as the game went on. Scary first game but a fun one.